Prinsendam Amazon Explorer, November 26-December 22, 2013

rafinmd

Hello, Roy.

My name is Sue and I have been thoroughly enjoying travelling vicariously through your wonderful updates.

We have some wonderful former neighbors who are travelling with you. I'd be very surprised if you have not already met them. They are George and Pauline from Tucson. He is a very well-travelled retired Presbyterian minister. Both of them are quite short and chances are good that George is wearing an

Aloha shirt. If you see them....say "hi" to them from Sue & Steve.

Thanks!

Sue

Thanks, Sue. I haven't noticed them yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Wow, off roading with a Segway, who would have thought!

And to think Royal Caribbean says I'm too old to be allowed on a Segway.

Roy

The Crystal Symphony is in Rio Grande, Brazil.

The winds and seas overnight were no calmer than recently but the ride was a lot smoother as our direction of travel put us more at harmony with the swells. We had a lot of time to travel a short distance (not sure why we didn't stay in Barbados into the evening) and were pretty much biding time until the anchor went down around 7. I walked my 6 laps early and then went up to deck 13 for sunrise near 6:30. I had an insulated mug and set it down against a metal wall nearly perpendicular to the wind, but even with a narrow angle of attack the wind blew my mug over as I was holding my camera.

Bequia (pronounced beck-way, go figure) Island is part of St. Vincent and Grenadines, and is 8 miles South of St. Vincent, the primary island. It is small (8 miles long), volcanic, and very hilly. The town is Port Elizabeth, a very picturesque harbor and a favorite haven for yachts.

I tendered over to the island about 9 for my “Bequia Scenic Tour”. We were in “taxis”, the typical Caribbean taxi consisting of a pickup truck with seats where the bed should be. These were small pickups with a u-shaped cushion around the front and sides of the bed.

With 6 of us and a guide in the back we set off on the island's narrow, winding roads. Many of the roads are essentially 1-lane 2-way traffic, requiring us to back up several times to let other vehicles pass. We made several stops on the tour, starting with Fort Hamilton, just a few cannon but a sweeping overlook. Our next stop was Mount Pleasant, another sweeping vista (just the great view, nothing on site). Our main stop was the Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary, where a number of large turtles and hundreds of smaller ones were swimming in large tanks. The survival rate of sea turtles in the wild is very low, and the protected environment greatly increases that rate (I think to about 1 in 20), and the turtles are released at roughly age 5. Our final stop was a watering hole where samples of rum punch were offered along with some souvenirs. We returned to the dock around 11:45. I walked some around Port Elizabeth; a nice path circled the harbor to a nice beach, but didn't really find a lot of interest in the town itself. For me, the island's main attraction was the stunning views. I returned to the ship around 2, and fatigue caught up with me. I did get to afternoon tea but a lot of the afternoon became an unintended nap.

We pulled up the anchor around 5 and have a day at sea before Curacao and Aruba. Dinner went quite quickly and I had time to stop in at the Crows Nest before the show. Derick was playing variations on Christmas music, doing improvised interpretations on the themes. The evening program was “Encore” by the Prinsendam entertainers. It was music taken from some of the older classic musicals. I recognized some of the songs, but the only one I could really identify with a musical was selections from West Side Story. As always, the singers put on an excellent show. I retired soon after the show.

Today's parting shot comes from the classic Roberts dry humor. In his sailaway messaage Captain Roberts was talking about places for sunset and sailaway. He mentioned the Sea View pool (currently great for sailaway, but the wrong direction for sunset). He mentioned the Crows Nest for sunset, and said it had a better view than the Bridge because it is higher. He also added that it had a nice bar which “we would be pleased to know the Bridge did not have”. While I greatly trust both the current Prinsendam Captains and the legendary fill-in, I must agree with that comment.

Roy

The Crystal Symphony is enroute to Montevideo.

When I walked out on deck I found the perfect conditions for my 5-mile walk (the first in several days).

There were not a lot of program items today that interested me today, and much of the day went to relaxing. The morning did include some Protestant bible study and buying a future cruise certificate. While my Mariner Brunch was earlier in the cruise, there was another today, apparently for the more elite mariners, as I saw a number of people leaving with medallions. Roberta Sloan had a very nice 1PM presentation on puppetry, and the dancing with the stars today focused on the Samba. I think one of my tablemates will be in the finals. With Roberta's 1PM talk conflicting I missed today's team trivia.

People were very well dressed on our penultimate formal night. I think the Elegant Explorer rubs off on people. The evening program was the Celtic duo Livewire. While the Guitar and Fiddle (and singing) duo played primarily Celtic music they also did selections from Dueling Banjos and Fiddler on the Roof. I'm not a fan of the way Derek does Name that Tune so on the way back from the showroom I stopped off at the Explorer's Lounge and enjoyed the music of Adagio.

Today's parting shot comes from the opening of Captain Roberts' midday update: “This is the day that gives meaning to 'Fair winds and following seas'”

Roy

Agreed, Kirk.

The Crystal Symphony is in Montevideo.

For the remainder of my time I am retracing my steps on the first voyage of this series. My first visits to both Curacao and Aruba were on the Crystal Symphony just 36 days ago. Willemstad is a very picturesque town but both the Prinsendam and the Symphony were assigned the same berth, just past the Queen Juliana bridge in the midst of oil storage tanks, rusted old barrels and just a stones throw from an oil refinery. We passed the Celebrity Eclipse and the Queen Emma (floating) bridge, and docked about 7AM with the Monarch (formerly Of the Seas) coming in right behind us.

My tour today was midday, and I an early walk into town (a half mile each way) and a class on setting up Windows 8 before heading out.

The tour was “Caves and City Highlights” and I think many people signed up without realizing how much walking was involved. The city portion was a walking tour, probably 1 1/2 miles in length, to and across the floating bridge and through Fort Hamilton, the floating market, Synagogue, and main square before meeting our bus. Fort Hamilton was built in 1635 and the complex of bright yellow buildings serves today as the seat of government and home of both the Governor (Queen's representative) and Prime Minister. The floating market may be a bit of a misnomer. All the actual commerce takes place on the solid ground of the pier. The vendors (from Venezuela 40 miles away) maintain their stock on the boats just a few feet behind the stalls. What is for sale there is a wide assortment mostly of fresh vegetables, and I believe fish earlier in the day. The Synagog is the oldest in the new world, dating from 1732. We met our bus at the town square, near a statue of Queen Wilamena.

It was about a 20-minute ride to the Hato Caves, on the north side of the island, near the airport. The caves were formed beneath the ocean surface but after geological shifts have risen to about 60 meters above sea level and 10 meters above the parking lot. As we began the 49-step to the cave entrance a disappointing sign advised us photography was prohibited in the caves. It turned out there was one small area where it was allowed, and I found that mostly it was too dark without flash and too distant with flash anyway. We saw several formations during our half hour in the cave.

We were given a dropoff choice between the ship terminal and the center of town. I chose the town and walked across the pontoon bridge and got lunch. Unfortunately the internet which was working well in November was unhelpful this time. I returned to the Prinsendam just about 4, and watched the Monarch back out to sea just a few minutes later.

One of the couples at table 151 missed dinner. They had been on my tour and I think found the walking part of the tour a bit much. While there was not really a headline act, it was a very busy evening on the ship. Derek had standards night in the Crows Nest, and there was a 9:30 pool party. The Filipino Crew Show was at 10:30. As the show ended around 11:15 we had turned around in the basin and were proceeding out to sea past the pontoon bridge.

Today's parting shot comes from MC Marty's closing remarks at the crew show. He told of how the Philippines restored democracy in 1986 without a single shot or drop of blood. “Never underestimate the power of love”

Roy

Roy, I've been keeping up with your continued travels via your Blog but decided to post here too.

Sorry that you were under the weather the other day but glad you have that behind you.

Continue to enjoy your voyage.

The timing of all of this has been good for me. I was able to enjoy your three voyages and shortly after your voyage comes to a conclusion we will shortly begin ours. I look forward to sailing with you in a few months.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

..................... The evening program was the Celtic duo Livewire. While the Guitar and Fiddle (and singing) duo played primarily Celtic music they also did selections from Dueling Banjos and Fiddler on the Roof. ...................

I like Livewire; Hey Roy; isn't that female half like TV's energizer bunny?

Thanks all. Just in case anybody will be watching on Lou and Dave's webcam, I plan to be at the back of the ship top deck on the port side. I am hoping this picture will post:

lightbox

Maybe, maybe not so I'll try this too.

Arubasailaway.jpg.9abfdd4c9f3c1361f6e0f86dc7833ea1.jpg

Roy

John, she certainly is. Keith, we do have a bit of a gap (am I correct that you embark January 5, but will surely want to be in port a few days early). I think we are both looking forward to voyages on new ships.

The Crystal Symphony is at sea enroute to Buenos Aires.

As we continue sailing West sunrise is getting later and later, with it not happening today until 6:55. We did not see actually see it until much later as the morning started out with a heavy shower. I finished my 6-lap port day walk about 6 and returned to the deck as we made our final approach to Aruba just after 7. We were the only ship in port today (other than the near omni-present Fairwinds), and we had the prime docking location. As with Curacao, my only prior time in Aruba was on the Crystal Symphony early in this odyssey. I did not book a tour today and instead took a walk into the town. I had intended to visit Fort Zoutman but got mixed up in my directions but got mixed up and missed it, walking as far as the airport. One thing that appears pretty new in Aruba is a very nice pedestrian street. A trolley runs along this street, although on both ships the service seemed to be very infrequent and irregular.

When I was here on the Symphony I had good luck with wifi at the local Burger King, but wifi on this cruise has been frustrating. I got no connection at lunch, and even tried the paid wifi at the cruise terminal. It worked but was quite slow and I was unable to do a complete update of my antivirus program in the hour I was online. I boarded the Elegant Explorer for the final time about 2:30.

The evening entertainment was comedian Joe Yanetty. I saw him once previously (on my summer Veendam cruise). The desert extravaganza was held at 10:30 in the Lido. There was quite a line, and I decided to forgo it.

Today's parting shot actually comes from Friday morning. It's not likely to be a good thing when the Captain comes on the PA system at 5:55am. We had 2 ladies missing overnight. Fortunately an update came that they were safe 15 minutes later.

Roy

Excellent, Keith.

The Crystal Symphony is in Buenos Aires (I'll join it there 1/27/16).

Weather can change in a day or less, and certainly in 36 days. My first day out of Aruba on the Crystal Symphony sailing towards South Florida had perfect weather, but today we had near gale (force 7) conditions. The seasick bags were on all the stairwells, and the aft doors to the Lower Promenade deck were closed most of the day. I did a final laundry in the morning and while it was in process walked 3 miles on the deck.

We had an interdenominational get-together at 9 in the Wajang Theater but I left a little early for On Deck for A Cause. I think the number of walkers was off a little bit with the challenging weather but there were perhaps 25 of us and a lot of staff members present for the 5K walk. The walk now supports organizations battling all forms of cancer, and charities in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, and the Netherlands. Christina added that the money raised is allocated to the various nationalities by the demographics of the participants. As we were gathering for the walk a lovely rainbow appeared at the back of the ship. The deck lounge chairs had been removed to allow more room for the walkers. At the conclusion of the walk we got lemonade and cookies.

My morning concluded with a presentation by Werner Salinger on the improving conditions in Africa.

In his midday update Captain Roberts predicted improving sailing conditions about 7PM as we approach the shelter of Haiti and Jamaica. My only organized afternoon activity was the delicious cupcake tea.

On our final formal night people throughout the LaFontaine dining room people on the ship generally were in tune with the ship's Elegant Explorer nickname. The Prinsendam Singers and Dancers' final production show was Hit Me with a Hot Note. I think it was the troupe's best show with a lot of interaction between the singers (really more like singer-dancers) and the 2 dancers.

As my parting shot today, change in the cruise industry is a constant process, but most changes are seen as ne,gative. This is my second walk in the revamped “On Deck for A Cause”, and this change to a more inclusive cancer walk is a very positive change.

Roy

It was nice to follow your trip, how time flies though, seems like just yesterday you were talking about your train ride to NY. We will be on the Symphony in June for the first time, like you said can't wait to try a new ship.

Tom

Thank you Tom. I hope you'll enjoy that first cruise as much as I have over the years.

Things had calmed down considerably overnight and and my 5-mile walk was easy. One strange difference from the corresponding day on my Symphony was that we seemed to be traveling in lockstep with other nearby ships while today we were all alone. I wonder if the pattern of ships visiting South Florida is that different between Saturday and Sunday.

At our 9am Interdenominational service we did a worship service in the style of a Christmas Eve service, a blessing since many of us will be traveling the next several days. We had a Cruise Critic evaluation session on the cruise at 10 in the Crows Nest.

In his noon address Captain Roberts indicated we would be following helpful currents on our remaining voyage to Ft. Lauderdale, and would pick up the pilot around 5AM. We will be the smallest of 8 ships in port, including some “that could carry us in their atrium”.

Much of the afternoon was spent packing but I did go to a 2PM wrapup talk by Werner Salinger on globalization.

This evening we had the “International Master Chef's Dinner”. At the end of the meal we had a parade of most of the Prinsendam crew, including all the culinary staff and I think most of the staff from other departments.

The evening show was the finals of Dancing With the Stars. The contestants were:

Marta:Jive:27

Robert:Samba:28

Tyco:Waltz:30

Don:Jive:28

Jerry:Waltz:28

Ann:ChaCha:27

The applause ratings come in 5-point increments making the judges scores irrelevant. The winners were Jerry(3), Robert(2), and Ann(1). I got to bed around 11:30 but will gain an hour overnight as we return to Eastern time.

As today's parting shot, congratulations to Ann on her win and to Jerry from table 151 on an excellent showing.

Roy

Welcome home, Roy! I have enjoyed following your posts. The cruise sounds like an interesting one to do.

Thank you. It is a very interesting cruise, especially on one of my favorite ships. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that the heat is quite intense. I was really feeling it and heard it was considerably cooler than last year.

Sadly, we are now stationary at our final dock.

Roy

Thank you Tom. I hope you'll enjoy that first cruise as much as I have over the years.

Things had calmed down considerably overnight and and my 5-mile walk was easy. One strange difference from the corresponding day on my Symphony was that we seemed to be traveling in lockstep with other nearby ships while today we were all alone. I wonder if the pattern of ships visiting South Florida is that different between Saturday and Sunday.

At our 9am Interdenominational service we did a worship service in the style of a Christmas Eve service, a blessing since many of us will be traveling the next several days. We had a Cruise Critic evaluation session on the cruise at 10 in the Crows Nest.

In his noon address Captain Roberts indicated we would be following helpful currents on our remaining voyage to Ft. Lauderdale, and would pick up the pilot around 5AM. We will be the smallest of 8 ships in port, including some “that could carry us in their atrium”.

Much of the afternoon was spent packing but I did go to a 2PM wrapup talk by Werner Salinger on globalization.

This evening we had the “International Master Chef's Dinner”. At the end of the meal we had a parade of most of the Prinsendam crew, including all the culinary staff and I think most of the staff from other departments.

The evening show was the finals of Dancing With the Stars. The contestants were:

Marta:Jive:27

Robert:Samba:28

Tyco:Waltz:30

Don:Jive:28

Jerry:Waltz:28

Ann:ChaCha:27

The applause ratings come in 5-point increments making the judges scores irrelevant. The winners were Jerry(3), Robert(2), and Ann(1). I got to bed around 11:30 but will gain an hour overnight as we return to Eastern time.

As today's parting shot, congratulations to Ann on her win and to Jerry from table 151 on an excellent showing.

Roy

Oh Roy, how sad - you are getting off and we will miss these fabulous reports. Thank you for taking us along - it is always a joy to read these :)

One question - what is a cruise critic evaluation session? Is it combined with t a farewell meet and greet or is it a serious evaluation session? How the cruise went for everyone? what was the verdict?

Something nice will be missing from my mornings from now on. I have loved sitting here, sipping my coffee while reading your excellent reports.

I welcome you home, as I look forward to your next cruise combo reports. They are almost as good as being there.

Something nice will be missing from my mornings from now on. I have loved sitting here, sipping my coffee while reading your excellent reports.

I welcome you home, as I look forward to your next cruise combo reports. They are almost as good as being there.

What RuthC said:)

Joanie