Tipping in specialty restaurants

Batbabe

My best guess is that extra tips in the specialty restaurants are somewhat pooled for the team that waits on your section. There is a maître d', a waiter, an assistant waiter and a sommelier. Maybe a few more that I'm not remembering. It would seem fair that your tip would go to the team, rather than any one member. I do not think it goes into the ship-wide auto-tip pool, but I have no real knowledge to base this on.

I'm a fan of leaving cash for extra tips. It just feels right to me. I think in some cases it still gets pooled, but, at least I tried to reward the person I intended to.

This seems right for us too. Wife's hair dresser cruises all the time and this was her recommendation. Thanks for your opinion, confirms what we will do too.

You may have someone post that the entire surcharge is the gratiuity. Not true...

Trying to head her off at the pass, hey? ;):D:p

Personally, I feel it is none of my business how the tip is distributed among the staff. It's just not. Sometimes we tip extra and sometimes we do not. OP, do what feels right for you.

Personally, I feel it is none of my business how the tip is distributed among the staff. It's just not. Sometimes we tip extra and sometimes we do not. OP, do what feels right for you.

LOL. Thinking the same thing as I started reading this thread.

My best guess is that extra tips in the specialty restaurants are somewhat pooled for the team that waits on your section. There is a maître d', a waiter, an assistant waiter and a sommelier. Maybe a few more that I'm not remembering. It would seem fair that your tip would go to the team, rather than any one member. I do not think it goes into the ship-wide auto-tip pool, but I have no real knowledge to base this on.

It is pooled if you leave extra. One time we had such a great waiter that we left a little extra and then when we saw that waiter in the windjammer a few days later, my DH slipped him more. He really was wonderful to us.

Some of that extra $30-35 has to be (I trust) going to gratuities because the "better" cut of beef certainly isn't worth the up-charge alone IMO. In the meanwhile, I'm automatically tipping the waiter in the MDR at the same time for his/her services there and throughout the ship.

I know the the forum as exhausted this topic. My question: do the tips in the specialty restaurants go to the pool as well or stay with the waiter? Or should we leave cash??

the fee includes a portion that is pooled for everyone working.. waiter ,assistant, sommelier, bus boy. any extra goes to whoever you give it to, so if your bus boy kept your water goblet full and you slip him 5 bucks the entire amount is his.

Not trying to start something, but, I am confused by this post. Help me out here. What does this mean?

I think the photo implication is don't get hooked as there might be some fishing going on for responses.

Another words, don't take the bait.;)

Re: your first sentence........ROTFLOL....thanks!:D:D

Archived