Air Deviation- Is this enough time for security check?

llarsen

Hello,

We put in a request for air deviation with Oceania. The first offer was no additional charge, just the 150.00pp deviation.

But we just returned Rome to San Diego through Philly and barely had enough time with a 2 hour layover. We had to claim our bags and go back through security in Philly.

The flight Oceania is offering is Rome to Chicago to San Diego. But it only has 1.30min layover in Chicago. Do you think we can make it through customs and security in that amount of time? It would be nice to not have to pay additional.

We found a US air flight with a 2.30min layover in Charolette but Oceania wants additional 600.00 for that itinerary.

This is the one Oceania sent us:

UA SAN DIEGO, 11:20AM SAN FRANCISCO, CA 12:45PM SKYWEST DBA UNITED EXPRESS

UA SAN FRANCISCO, 02:10PM FRANKFURT, GERMANY 09:55AM

UA FRANKFURT, GERMANY 12:20PM VENICE, ITALY 01:40PM LUFTHANSA

AA 0111N ROME, ITALY 20JUN 11:15AM CHICAGO, IL 20JUN 03:00PM

AA 1531N CHICAGO, IL 20JUN 04:35PM SAN DIEGO, 06:45PM

Thanks for any input

If I had to get my bags, and then go to customs and security and account for the fact the plane might be late that amount of time would be too short for me, I am not a gambling man. Sometimes Oceania air is not a good deal, dd you check the air credit and how much it would be to do it on your owne?

The only way you could make that flight is if you have Global Entry, which will speed you right through BOTH immigration & customs (which can be very long in Chicago).

If you travel enough internationally you should get this - the best thing we ever did. No more immigration lines - ever.

BTW - it was an hour and a half long wait in Chicago that spurned us into getting GE - never looked back.

Edited by Paulchili

Hello,

We put in a request for air deviation with Oceania. The first offer was no additional charge, just the 150.00pp deviation.

But we just returned Rome to San Diego through Philly and barely had enough time with a 2 hour layover. We had to claim our bags and go back through security in Philly.

The flight Oceania is offering is Rome to Chicago to San Diego. But it only has 1.30min layover in Chicago. Do you think we can make it through customs and security in that amount of time? It would be nice to not have to pay additional.

We found a US air flight with a 2.30min layover in Charolette but Oceania wants additional 600.00 for that itinerary.

This is the one Oceania sent us:

UA SAN DIEGO, 11:20AM SAN FRANCISCO, CA 12:45PM SKYWEST DBA UNITED EXPRESS

UA SAN FRANCISCO, 02:10PM FRANKFURT, GERMANY 09:55AM

UA FRANKFURT, GERMANY 12:20PM VENICE, ITALY 01:40PM LUFTHANSA

AA 0111N ROME, ITALY 20JUN 11:15AM CHICAGO, IL 20JUN 03:00PM

AA 1531N CHICAGO, IL 20JUN 04:35PM SAN DIEGO, 06:45PM

Thanks for any input

Personally I would not get as "involved" in the process as you are.

If you're paying for a Deviation then all you need do is tell Oceania that you wish to be routed on flights which don't carry an upcharge, yet allow ample time for switching planes.

Allow the professionals to do their jobs...... ;)

Not sure if this would work for you BA has flights with a long layover in LHR 20+ hrs ..would break up the long trip home

Not sure if it would incur an upcharge or not

Just a thought ;)

Thank you Paul for the Global advice, I will look into it.

The connection is a little tight for my comfort as well. However, flying UA into/out of ORD will give you plenty of choices if things go wrong.

Some credit cards (Plat. Amex) will refund you the GE fee ($100) - but even if not, it's well worth it, IMO. It will also help you get on the TSA pre check list for domestic flights as well. :)

Okay, I left it to the professionals (thanks JimandStan) and they came up with a pretty good flight as far as time goes. This flight will run us 100.00 more per person for the outgoing flight, which is fine.

My only hesitation is our return flight is on Alitalia. I just looked them up and read horrible reviews.

Anyone here care to give their opinion on Alitalia?

SUN 08JUN14 8OWL6E LH 0457 LOS ANGELES, CA 03:00P

MON 09JUN14 FRANKFURT, GERMANY 10:50A

MON 09JUN14 8OWL6E LH 0326 FRANKFURT, GERMANY 12:20P

MON 09JUN14 VENICE, ITALY 01:40P

FRI 20JUN14 F7OBBO DL 6658 ROME, ITALY 10:20A Alitalia C.A. I S.P.A.

FRI 20JUN14 LOS ANGELES, CA 02:25

Thanks everyone!

We called Oceania air dept and she found us a nice flight on Lufthansa using LAX. Since we wanted the earlier flight getting into Venice, there was 100.00 pp upcharge plus the 150.00 air deviation.

I have to say I was impressed with the way they worked with us, especially since we had so many requests : Early into Venice, Early back into LAX with enough time (2 hr layover) to get through customs and security on return flight, and minimal upcharge.

Done deal!

I am still considering getting Global Entry. The cost seems well worth it, but we would have to go for our interview at LAX, not sure if they could schedule all four of us for same date?

Glad it worked out for you.

If you schedule well ahead of time you should be able to do that - they should have more than 1 agent.

SFO was very busy (booked for 1 1/2 months out) so we simply scheduled it at DTW during one of our trips there to visit family - they were wide open and just did it before our return flight home.

Best thing we've ever done regarding travel.

Yes, Global Entry is pretty convenient. Just connected from Costa Rica, through Atlanta; GE was the fastest part of the process. The rest was kind of slow, though - bags took a while and security to enter the domestic terminal was really poky! Still, had 90' to make our connection and despite their best efforts, we had time to hang out in the Delta Sky Club for 30 minutes, drinking cheap plonk before boarding our domestic flight home. Not bad!

One other thing I didn't know - apparently they have expanded the TSA Pre-check program to include some international flights, as well as domestic. When we flew JFK-FRA this past June we were allowed to use the Pre-check line, and passed through security in seconds. I have no idea how widespread this is, but any time it happens it's a bonus.

So back to the OP - with GE, and Priority status on your airline (for faster baggage handling and access to priority security lines, and/or TSA Pre-check), I'd feel comfortable with 2 hours or even less. Without it - probably not. Your new flight looks like it will work nicely, though!

Thanks to help and advice from loyal buddies here at CC (that means you, Naomi & Henry!!) we were able to coordinate our GE screening appointments, so that we had simultaneous interviews and got our clearance within 15 minutes of one another (at JFK yet).

I am still considering getting Global Entry. The cost seems well worth it, but we would have to go for our interview at LAX, not sure if they could schedule all four of us for same date?

Given how far in advance you will be scheduling, it will be no problem whatsoever.

You don't have to go to LAX for your Global Entry interview. Although there is no enrollment center at the San Diego Airport, there are enrollment centers at the Otay Mesa and San Ysidro border crossings. We used Otay Mesa earlier this year and had no problems.

Dave

An unknown secret...

You can standby for an interview. Do all of your paperwork and get pre- approval. Make your appointment at what ever location. I did Dulles. Dulles does 4 people every 20 minutes. Like an assembly line. If there is a no show and there are some every hour just ask and they will take you.

Just renewed my GE (yes it has been 5 years) -- great program -- but too many people taking advantage of this (sometimes lines at the Kiosks)

Last time at EWR a new record. From the aircraft door being opened, thru passport, thru customs, to the domestic UA terminal, TSA security and to Gate C130 in 20 minutes. That is without an OJ run.. as I am too old for that.

An unknown secret...

You can standby for an interview. Do all of your paperwork and get pre- approval. Make your appointment at what ever location. I did Dulles. Dulles does 4 people every 20 minutes. Like an assembly line. If there is a no show and there are some every hour just ask and they will take you.

Just renewed my GE (yes it has been 5 years) -- great program -- but too many people taking advantage of this (sometimes lines at the Kiosks)

Last time at EWR a new record. From the aircraft door being opened, thru passport, thru customs, to the domestic UA terminal, TSA security and to Gate C130 in 20 minutes. That is without an OJ run.. as I am too old for that.

Agree with you Paul.

It's not just the immigration line that you get through quickly, there is also a separate customs line for GE customers (the customs line can be very long otherwise).

Yes, I had an amazingly speedy transfer at EWR myself recently, which resulted in moving myself to a considerably earlier flight, and getting home several hours earlier than planned.

I've also noticed more separate security lines being added if you are in the program. There's one at Houston that is a blessing, and we recently had a great experience in Toronto with their "exchange" program.

Don't try to do standby at the Newark airport, because the office is in a controlled area and they make you show your appointment print out to get through to the office. I tried this while I was helping my Mom apply for hers in January, and they told her only she could go back (not me), and only within 15 minutes of her scheduled time. Conversely, DH & I had great success when flying through the Houston airport, just stopped in to see if their was a possibility of them taking us early for our interview, and they said, Come on in, and interviewed us both together, watched the little film, and out in 20 minutes total. This was several years ago though, so maybe not so friendly now.

You can stand by for a GE appointment at JFK. DH and I had back-to-back appointments at JFK in August. Because we allowed extra travel time from our home in Westchester, we were very early for our appointments. They just took us immediately after the people in front of us, maybe a 5-minute wait. Many people, including airline employees, stopped in to see if they could get an appointment and were taken in order. Would not interview us together, however.

Used TSA pre-check the following week when departing JFK on DL and GE when preclearing US immigration and customs on our return from Dublin. Best money we ever spent! Only paid $100. Amex Platinum card perk paid for the other.

An unknown secret...

Paul,

Couple of questions about your renewal.

Did they notify you when your GE is about to expire??

What is the price of GE renewal??

Do you know if Amex Platinum pays the fee for renewals like they do for the initial GE??

Thanks,