Fall Spirit Crossing 9 -25 Nov

dougburns

Thanks Mr. Luxury/John, Stumblefoot, Rachel ( can't believe u have time to post now on George and u'r river cruise on the Danube), duct tape (good cellar tip..will look for some Shafer Relentless). Rachel, no thanks on the Jar Heads assist--they need their teddy bears first or they will just muck everything up :)

Exceptional first day on board the Spirit Fall Crossing voyage. Pls enjoy some pix below beginning with Ida & Wes standing in front of our hotel in Funchal (Albargaria Dias, #1 Trip Advisor winner 2013). Took some more pix of Funchal on afternoon run. Then Ida and I had a mandatory Life Boat drill with 12 other pax. We then enjoyed a mini cruise critic get together in DougBurns grand suite sweeping balcony fwd during our sail away from Funchal. Finally some pix of eight of us at dinner in La Terraza—delish. Then Doug & Lynn, Dieter & Debbie, Emmy, Ida and I enjoyed some quiet time in the Connoisseur Corner with Cigars & Cognac or single malt scotch.

fallcross1003_zps4b048b16.jpg

fallcross1016_zps8687389c.jpg

fallcross1021_zps74aa2c55.jpg

fallcross1024_zpse3a04d7b.jpg

fallcross1028_zpsa36c4b61.jpg

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

More Pix taken at Viewpoint and Ancient Fort of St. Jose:

For Ging66 (Jennifer) taken at entry to Viewpoint and Ancient Fort of St. Jose (home of 12 kittens/cats). Fort of San Jose helped guard Funchal Harbor for at least two centuries..mostly destroyed in the 19th century when Harbor was built. The viewpoint and fort are now owned by Doom Renato Barros, who carries the title of Prince of Pontinha..pix last below of the Prince and me.

fallcross1032_zpsd837fd17.jpg

fallcross1034_zpsf53ab032.jpg

Pix of two of my fav cruise ladies on the planet (LtoR; Ida&Lynn)

fallcross1007_zps4b98746b.jpg

Pix of fellow Cruise Critics enjoying the Sail away from Funchal (bskrkent/Barbara, Spinnaker2/Larry, Wellseasoned, Dougburns, Spinnaker2/Candy)

fallcross1046_zpsb514f675.jpg

Dinner tonight in La Terraza:

fallcross1054_zps60d53264.jpg

At Connoisseur club enjoying Cognac & Cigars: (Lto R; Doug, Lynn, Emmy, Ida, Dieter, Wes)

fallcross1057_zpsb2e7bf18.jpg

Looks like the gang is off to a great start and you had beautiful weather while in Funchal. I could only get my wife (the house money) to offer 6:5 odds you started your first meal in La Terraza with the Duck Ragout. Although the payout will be minimal, don't let me down! :D

Looking forward to following your voyage.

Now that Wes&Ida are safely aboard I can relax about posting long descriptions of what's happening. Wes does a much better job and with pics. Tomorrow(Sunday) Emmy(the wedding planner) has set up a vow renewal for our neighbors in 902. However, this captain(Pontillo) will not do the ceremony on the bridge(bummer). They're doing it in the O Lounge instead. We are now clear of the island swell influence so that things are steadying out a bit; to bouncy for dancing last night, but Ida and Miss Lynn are ready to go tonight, conditions permitting. Partly cloudy skies and temps expected to be in the low 70s. We played a bit of a trick on Wes and Ida yesterday when they boarded, but I'll let him tell you about it if he chooses. Two time changes so far and 4 more to go. Have a great weekend all!

As Doug mentioned above, yesterday on boarding we went directly to Reception to check-in, Natalya told us there was a problem with our suite--they did not have one for us. Needless to say we were initially frustrated then out popped the two sailors (Doug, Dieter (and their beautiful brides Lynn, and Debbie, plus another cruise friend Betty) laughing at our expense (they laughed so hard, they (Dougburns, Wellseasoned) wet themselves :))

Good Morning. Today, is the first of six sea days in a row until we reach Bermuda. Highlights on board include: multiple enrichment events (A Career in Broadcasting—Alastair Bruce, Movie Discussion—The Verdict with Marty Aronson, Enrichment Movie—Kramer vs Kramer presented also by Marty Aronson, Hollywood at War by Michael Freedlland, and an Enrichment Lecture—Great Ladies: Cleopatra and her Romans presented by Colonel (Retired) Gerald McCormack. Also, we have Spanish and Italian classes, Ice Carving demo, Wine tasting and Seminar (count me there) but departing early for Foxtrot Dance Class. In the late p.m., there is Team Trivia. Tonight’s entertainment is Clarinetist Peter Neighbor.

As Doug mentioned above, yesterday on boarding we went directly to Reception to check-in, Natalya told us there was a problem with our suite--they did not have one for us. Needless to say we were initially frustrated then out popped the two sailors (Doug, Dieter (and their beautiful brides Lynn, and Debbie, plus another cruise friend Betty) laughing at our expense (they laughed so hard, they (Dougburns, Wellseasoned) wet themselves :))

Good Morning. Today, is the first of six sea days in a row until we reach Bermuda. Highlights on board include: multiple enrichment events (A Career in Broadcasting—Alastair Bruce, Movie Discussion—The Verdict with Marty Aronson, Enrichment Movie—Kramer vs Kramer presented also by Marty Aronson, Hollywood at War by Michael Freedlland, and an Enrichment Lecture—Great Ladies: Cleopatra and her Romans presented by Colonel (Retired) Gerald McCormack. Also, we have Spanish and Italian classes, Ice Carving demo, Wine tasting and Seminar (count me there) but departing early for Foxtrot Dance Class. In the late p.m., there is Team Trivia. Tonight’s entertainment is

Clarinetist Peter Neighbor.

Wes,were boarding when you get off,do you know who the CD will be?

Thanks duct tape, bill, herman, rachel. Will find out who CD is for y'alls voyage, ours is Mike Witte...we're meeting Wellseasoned (Dieter & Debbie) for drinks, then dinner in main bar tonight--will find out who the main bar bartender is (as well as pool bar). Will pass your warm regards along to Pete duct tape.

Pls enjoy some pix of two of the many sea day activities offered that we participated in. First, enjoy a few shots taken during the Wine Tasting led by Head Spirit Wine Sommelier and his Sommelier team.

Head Somm Norman explain how the soil affects the grapes/wine:

winedancesea1002_zpsb44dba20.jpg

winedancesea1005_zpsf02a76df.jpg

Now a few pix of the fox trot Dance class Ida, Lynn, Doug and I participated in this afternoon. Pix:

winedancesea1012_zpsfac0bdec.jpg

winedancesea1008_zps90e4aa59.jpg

Good question. And can you find out who the CD is starting Dec. 13?

More importantly, who is head bartender at the pool and in the Main bar??

:D

I must have advanced CRS.(cant remember s...t) how could I have forgotten the 2 MOST important members on the ship!!!!

[quote name='Colonel(Ret.)Wes']...they laughed so hard, they (Dougburns, Wellseasoned) wet themselves.[/QUOTE]LMAO!

I couldn't imagine, after taking four flights to get there, what must have been running through your head when Natalya told you SS didn't have a suite available for you. :eek:

Stumblefoot; yes, they got me good. Don so very good to hear from you. Y’all will very much enjoy u’r easterly crossing. Pls see:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1820518[/url]

Tonight we enjoyed before dinner drinks at the Main Bar (Deck 5) with Wellseasoned (Dieter/Debbie) our fellow Spirit Maiden crossing cruisers from Jan 2010. Pls enjoy pix below (LtoR; Dieter, Debbie, Ida, Wes). Next pix is our Main Dining room table setting adorned with an outstanding 2006 Barberesco (courtesy of Wellseasoned) and a luscious 2007 Amarone. Paired wonderfully with our Black Angus Roast Beef.

[URL=http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/colonelwes/media/sea1pm002_zpsaa5254d5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/colonelwes/sea1pm002_zpsaa5254d5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/colonelwes/media/sea1pm005_zpse6e6893f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/colonelwes/sea1pm005_zpse6e6893f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Colonel(Ret.)Wes']Next pix is our Main Dining room table setting adorned with an outstanding 2006 Barberesco (courtesy of Wellseasoned) and a luscious 2007 Amarone.[/QUOTE]You've got very generous friends! The Barbaresco is a winner. Only 750 cases made. And, while I'm not familiar with the producer of the Amarone you enjoyed, 2007 was an AMAZING year for Amarone.

It's Sunday and another beautiful day; clear, calm and @ 70deg F at 0500. Ever since we lost the island affect swell it's been wonderful, as has been our experience on past west bound crossings. Miss Lynn and I got some dancing in before dinner last night and had a dinner for 2 in the MDR; first time we've had dinner alone this cruise and it was nice for a change. After dinner back to the Panorama for more dancing to Alfredo's music. We were waiting for the crowd to arrive for disco at 2300, but it was a bitter disappointment. Guess all of the disco crowd got off in Funchal. Wes actually danced a couple of dances with Ida last night, but then he folded, as usual. Ida held up the Army end though. Mike Witte said the show was even dead last night. As for the CD for Dec, I believe Mike Witte will still be aboard. I believe the bar tenders will still be aboard as well, but they will probably change stations in FLL. Right now Francis is the Pool bar tender, alternating with Sonny. Both are very good. Don't go to the Bar, so I can't comment there. In Panorama the bar tenders rotate quite a bit. Tonight we have a vow renewal for a British couple( Beryl and Allen Olive ) who have been married 54 years. They're doing the ceremony in the O Lounge, because they can no longer do it on the bridge. Lots of thing have changed since the Concordia accident for all cruise lines. The crew can't even have hard liquor in their quarters; only beer and wine. Emmy is arranging the vow renewal and bought all of the flowers in Funchal; a very generous gal! Tonight is formal night, so we'll all be dressed in our best bib and tucker for the wedding ceremony, which we're participating in. Hopefully, someone will take and post some pics. Have a great day all. The internet is hanging in quite well. A word of caution for cell phone and I-pad users: when you're aboard the ship you have to connect through the ship's pay wi-fi to make a phone call regardless of who your carrier is. What a rip off!

Good Morning. Today, is our second glorious “sunny” calm sea day as Doug notes this crossing so far has been our smoothest yet (of four) on the Spirit. Highlights (Formal nite) on board include: interdenominational service, multiple enrichment events (Discussion of the movie Kramer vs. Kramer with Marty Aronson, enrichment movie, “To Kill a Mockingbird” with Marty), basic Italian and Spanish classes, Dance class (Rumba) with Gentlemen hosts Tom & Tony (yesterday’s Foxtrot class was outstanding and well attended). Ready, Steady, Cook competition between Cruise Director Mike and Sous Chef Elton. Enrichment lecture wit Colonel (Ret.) Alastair Bruce, “Designing Coats of Arms; The Oldest Living language of Identify.” Enrichment lecture with Michael Freedland, “All the Way: The Frank Sinatra Story. Silversea Showtime presents High C’s

Also, some SS cruise critics wondered how Silversea is supporting relief efforts for the Philippines, pls see information that SS published in yesterday's Chronicles:

“All of us at Silversea are truly saddened to hear of the significant devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Halyan. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our crew members from the Philippines who have been impacted by this disaster.

We have been in constant contact with our partners in Manila, who are actively reaching out to contact crew members and their families located around Manila and the outlying provinces impacted by the storm. As for crew members on board we are offering them support and means to make contact with their families and if necessary making arrangements for those who need to, to return home.
We have been touched by the response from our guests to this tragedy and have had many requests to make a contribution to the family of fellow crew members who have been affected by the storm. To this end we have set up a Relief Fund for our Filipino crew members, we welcome your contributions in the form of cash or charge to your shipboard account, pls see the reception desk. Through all this sadness I think you will agree the crew have remained bright and smiling and as always giving their utmost for the comfort and care of our guests, so we would like to thank you for your concern and kindness during this difficult time.

Wes,did you forget to pack your socks?

Always wear a pair if you are wearing a tie. Ex military types must keep up the standards.but I guess that the US army has slipped a little.:)

Luckily the Royal Marines maintain a high standard.

Hope you can borrow a pair for formal evening.:D Edited by Mr Luxury

Relative to my comments above regarding the bar tenders, Francis(Pool bar) will get off in FLL and will be relieved by Rodriego(long time SS bar tender). Sonny will remain on board and he works all of the bars, including the cigar lounge.