Dining on the Ruby--confused about venues

CruisinCadie

We haven't sailed Princess in a few years, and never on one of the big ships, and I am totally bewildered by all the various dining venues. I hope someone can explain things for me.

Which ones are for fee?

Of the three main dining rooms, will we be assigned to one or can we rotate? We have anytime dining.

What are all these other options, like the various cafes?

I have read that the Wheelhouse Bar serves a pub lunch on sea days. We only have one sea day. Will it be crazy crowded?

And while we're at it, does Princess still serve Coke products? Any chance they have Coke Zero?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy!!!

Like you I'll be on the Ruby shortly and I was very confused until I did my research. I've only cruised RCCL previously and anything special cost extra. The beauty of Princess is that everything except the two specialty dinner restaurants (Crown Grill and Sabatini's) are included in your fare. (A small charge for gelato also at International Cafe and any "special" drinks including coffee)

I have traditional dining and we're in Boticelli dining room, so the other two will probably be for anytime dining.

As for the Coke zero, I have no clue. They will have diet, but you can always bring your own and stash it in your mini fridge.

HTH

TinyDancer

We haven't sailed Princess in a few years, and never on one of the big ships, and I am totally bewildered by all the various dining venues. I hope someone can explain things for me.

Which ones are for fee?

Of the three main dining rooms, will we be assigned to one or can we rotate? We have anytime dining.

I have read that the Wheelhouse Bar serves a pub lunch on sea days. We only have one sea day. Will it be crazy crowded?

And while we're at it, does Princess still serve Coke products? Any chance they have Coke Zero?

Thanks,

Kathy

The Michelangelo and Da Vinci dining rooms are for anytime. The Botticelli is for traditional seating. As far as "Coke Zero," they have diet coke that is usually labeled "Coke Light."

Bob

Which ones are for fee?

The only dining for a fee are the two specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. The food in the International Cafe is free.

Unless you have requested Traditional (fixed seating), you have Anytime dining. The two mid-ship dining rooms on decks 5 and 6 are the Anytime dining rooms. You can go to either. You can also call DINE and make a reservation for Anytime dining.

The pub lunch is usually crazy busy. :( Either plan to get there early and wait for it to open or get there later.

Yes to Coke Zero. But it's by the can and not included with the soda package/sticker. You can get Diet Coke with the soda sticker. Same for Sprite Zero... it's by the can only.

The only dining for a fee are the two specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. The food in the International Cafe is free.

Unless you have requested Traditional (fixed seating), you have Anytime dining. The two mid-ship dining rooms on decks 5 and 6 are the Anytime dining rooms. You can go to either. You can also call DINE and make a reservation for Anytime dining.

The pub lunch is usually crazy busy. :( Either plan to get there early and wait for it to open or get there later.

Yes to Coke Zero. But it's by the can and not included with the soda package/sticker. You can get Diet Coke with the soda sticker. Same for Sprite Zero... it's by the can only.

So much for my Coke knowledge. :o

Pam;

Do you know if the Ruby still does the pub lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar?

Bob

The two mid-ship dining rooms on decks 5 and 6 are the Anytime dining rooms. You can go to either.

If there is a strong demand for early traditional dining, one of the two Anytime dining rooms will be used for an early traditional seating and then become Anytime once the traditional seating is over.

The Patter will have the dining room times listed, so you will be able to tell if one of the two Anytime rooms is being used for a 2nd early traditional seating on your cruise.

Thanks,

Kathy

Here are the "free" food options

International Cafe Deck 5, open 24 hours, sweet rolls, doughnuts, egg mcmuffin style sandwich for breakfast, paninis, salads, soup, desserts, soft cookies from midday until late evening. Overnight it's cheese, crackers, dried fruit, cookies, desserts.

Vines Wine Bar, no extra charge for sushi & tapas, but you have to order a drink.

On the Lido deck - Trident Grill with burgers, fries, dogs, brats, chicken, veggie burgers. Pizza & Soft Ice Cream Bar, pizza by the slice and soft Ice Cream. You can get shakes and other ice cream items, but there is a charge for these. These two venues are open from about 11am until around 10pm. Also on the Lido deck is the Horizon Ct./Cafe Carib Buffet, open all the time from 6am until around midnight.

Room Service is also available at no charge, except there is a $3 charge for a pizza.

And as discussed the Pub Lunch.

Yes it does.

Likely to be popular if there is only one sea day but the bar is quite large and lunch does not take very long.

For those who do not like crowds, check out the buffet on the day they do the Pub lunch... have found fish and chips on the buffet. Realize there are more items on the Pub lunch menu -- we prefer the fish and chips, so we get some at the buffet and take back to our cabin and enjoy on the balcony along with some beer.

The Michelangelo and Da Vinci dining rooms are for anytime. The Botticelli is for traditional seating. As far as "Coke Zero," they have diet coke that is usually labeled "Coke Light."

Bob

Thanks to everyone for their anwers. It helps a lot.

Neither of us drinks enough soda to bother getting a soda card, but I do enjoy some with lunch. Coke Light is fine, but Coke Zero is preferred.

Kathy

Coke Light is Diet Coke. Coke Light is from a distributor outside the United States.

Coke Light is Diet Coke. Coke Light is from a distributor outside the United States.

Yes, I realize that. On a previous cruise, some guy was having a hissy because he wanted Diet Coke, not Coke Light. No matter how many times the poor waiter tried to explain, the guy still refused to accept that. So later in the cruise, we had lunch in the dining room, and we were telling our table mates about it. Someone asked if the ingredients were the same, and DH checked his can. His reply was, "I can't tell. They're in Spanish." But it tastes the same, and that's what matters.

Kathy