Princess Medical Emergency 28 day Shappire

bbq

My wife & I had a serious medical emergency first day out of LA on the Oct 14th 28 day cruise which is still at sea. Princess doctor Dr William Esterhuyse & staff were absolutely excellent, staff at Hilo Medical Center Dr Winkler, Dr Do, Dr Earb & Dr Bochkarer & RN's Saul & Denise were also top notch. VASH was great in Hawaii & "On Call International", part of the Princess Insurance package, was excellent until my wife passed away and than were useless. And The Shappire Princess Head Purser should be fired for making me leave my dieing wife's side, holding the transfer ambalance in Hilo until I went to the purses desk to make advance payment. The medical staff apologized but couldn't do anything. We were on the ship only 4 days, fully paid cabin, $850 OBC's, our 38th princess cruise etc. Even worse was the "Princess Care Team" in LA who haven't a clue, calling for several days after my wife passed and asking how she was doing. They sounded like young ladies who haven' t clue! I think the Hilo port manager was in hiding. Thank goodness for the VASH organization in Hawaii !

I am very sorry for your loss.

All too many times, people in times of stress get caught up in procedure, and a senior staff member should have stepped in to facilitate matters.

While you have much bigger issues to deal with, once you have had time to grieve, I would strongly suggest you contact Princess with a detailed report of what happened as non-judgmentally as possible. Perhaps by your experience being brought to their attention, someone else in a similar situation may not have to deal with it in the future.

Again, my condolences.

My wife & I had a serious medical emergency first day out of LA on the Oct 14th 28 day cruise which is still at sea. Princess doctor Dr William Esterhuyse & staff were absolutely excellent, staff at Hilo Medical Center Dr Winkler, Dr Do, Dr Earb & Dr Bochkarer & RN's Saul & Denise were also top notch. VASH was great in Hawaii & "On Call International", part of the Princess Insurance package, was excellent until my wife passed away and than were useless. And The Shappire Princess Head Purser should be fired for making me leave my dieing wife's side, holding the transfer ambalance in Hilo until I went to the purses desk to make advance payment. The medical staff apologized but couldn't do anything. We were on the ship only 4 days, fully paid cabin, $850 OBC's, our 38th princess cruise etc. Even worse was the "Princess Care Team" in LA who haven't a clue, calling for several days after my wife passed and asking how she was doing. They sounded like young ladies who haven' t clue! I think the Hilo port manager was in hiding. Thank goodness for the VASH organization in Hawaii !

bbq,

I am very sorry for your loss!

I agree with Loonbeam that writing a letter explaining what they did well, and could have done better, might help someone else who has to deal with this in the future.

Edited by CleoChase

I am so sorry for your loss.

Please follow up with Princess at a later point so that they can learn from their mistakes.

I agree with you concerning Dr William Esterhuyse. My mom was sick on the Sapphire last year and he was excellent.

I was not familiar with VASH so looked it up - for those interested: http://vashbigisland.org/services

Edited by Coral

I am so sorry about your wife. My husband was medically evacuated recently in Grand Turk from the Caribbean Princess.

I was rushed to the front desk to sign the bill and not given time to check our cabin. I was on a shore excursion and the staff packed us up very carelessly, losing some of our things.

We were not pleased with this situation and have contacted Princess. Not sure what their response will be.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

All too many times, people in times of stress get caught up in procedure, and a senior staff member should have stepped in to facilitate matters.

While you have much bigger issues to deal with, once you have had time to grieve, I would strongly suggest you contact Princess with a detailed report of what happened as non-judgmentally as possible. Perhaps by your experience being brought to their attention, someone else in a similar situation may not have to deal with it in the future.

Again, my condolences.

I'm so sorry for your loss and agree with what Loonbeam has written.