We could just could not get into cruising

Antonintassie

Hi

As a recently returned first time cruiser ,older forties couple with an older teen son I thought I would give some feedback.

We picked a 12 day Princess cruise in mediterranean on the Royal Princess with pre stays in Dubai ,Barcelona and after stay in Venice.

The main reason we tried cruising was that travelling as a triple can be awkward as far as available hotels rooms go and we looked at the ship as floating transport and accomadation.

The port stops were fantastic we have travelled extensively so we had been to a number of the previously .

Now the issues if you do not like big resorts ,crowds ,waiting in line and being micro managed cruising is not for you,we are independent and fit and by no means needy and found the whole cruise experience very in your face all the time.

Our cruise demographic was older and the ships entertainment was targeted at this group with no attempt to engage parents who might actually want to do stuff with their kids.

Sea days are "boring " the cruise directors entertainment program on these days completely failed to entice us with it offerings.

My teen was totally put off by the programs offered on board and when I read the program it was pretty lame for teens 14 + this was one area Princess failed miserably these older teens need and deserve something better than "child minding" they pay the full fare also.

Photographers are obtrusive and pushy and frankly everyone I spoke to on board wants them gone .

I would like to thank the people on cruise critic who answered questions prior to us cruising unfortunately unless something with a really interesting destination appears with 1 or less sea days I do not think we will cruise again.

The main reason of this blurb is to make people aware that cruising is not for everyone and before you jump in have a list of what you can and can not tolerate when travelling.

Your family probably would have enjoyed a different cruiseline a bit more....at least, the teen would have! Oh, well.....you're right...cruising isn't for everyone! And, even some of us who really enjoy cruising also enjoy other types of holidays, too!

Sorry that cruising really wasn't your cup of tea, greengrunt8. I'm glad you got a chance to try it and realize it wasn't for you.

Many of us enjoy cruising and all of the options/amenities it has to offer. My family has been cruising for a little under 10 years now, and we always have a blast. I've never found myself bored or micro-managed while on board. I love sea days, and always find something to entertain myself (and it doesn't have to be a cruise line event). Of course, it took me a little while to figure out things I might like and things to avoid, but, as you previously mentioned, it's not for everyone.

Your advice is sound--figure out what you want in a cruise vacation, and do the research necessary to find out if it's right for you. Thanks for posting.

Good luck on your future travels! :)

Bummer. I never experienced micromanagement, but then I've only been on Carnival. I guess only having pizza available on deck at 3 am could be construed as micro managed, but then I've never had room service. I guess if I was real hard up I could do that. Maybe a eurail pass would be better.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

I can drive in Europe no problem but we have done it a few times so we will most likely try something different next time ,perhaps a better look around the USA we have only been to Montana and Wyoming skiing.

Its a pity however we had high hopes for cruising still theres lots out in the world

Thanks for your perspective. You are right; cruising is NOT for everyone. If you like having someone take you from place to place for a taste of a port and providing lodging and food, then cruising is for you. If you don't like lines, being told when and where to go (ports, tours, dinner, when to get on and off etc.) then cruising might not be for you.

Thanks for giving cruising a try and coming here to post your experience. I, for one, appreciate it, and will NOT try to tell you another cruise line might be better for you....there are people who just are not cruisers; and you are one of them - and there is nothing wrong with that!

Edited by sailinglisa

Sorry you had a bad time, but think it's a bit unfair to slam the entire industry because one Princess ship didn't work out for you.

I am also left confused by one thing:

If you knew you didn't like crowds and lines than why did you pick a ship with nearly 4000 passengers? :confused:

We don't like crowds so we chose a line for our first cruise which had 120 people. Later we tried one with 300. When we were ready to try the mass market lines, we started with one of the "small" ships with about 1000 passengers. Our biggest ship to date had about 2000 people. And we will never ever sail on one of those Oasis giant ships.

Good luck with whatever future travel you decide on. I'm sorry to hear you have written off cruising as it seems large mass-market cruising is where the problem lay. There are lines out there that hold under 50 people, perhaps look into those. I'd suggest Linbald, check them out. :)

Edited by Lerin

I wish I had seen your post before you booked Princess, would have commented that it would not be a fit for what you were looking for. But this line IMHO would be a wonderful fit for the whole family;

http://us.voyagesofdiscovery.com/id-12473/home.html

There’s a whole world out there waiting to be discovered. The time to start is now.

The key to a Voyages of Discovery cruise is simplicity itself – see more, do more. So you’ll discover some of the great cities and monuments from the ancient and modern worlds. And along the way, you’ll also share the stories and insights not everyone gets to see. Our renowned guest speakers unlock the secrets, while our ship Voyager is the perfect way to get to any destination.

Small enough to reach out-of-the-way ports, yet large enough to make light work of crossing the great oceans, Voyager avoids the excesses of today’s mega-liners. Instead she has been expressly conceived for our special brand of discovery cruising to create an atmosphere on board that is friendly and relaxed.

During our voyage you will be accompanied by around 550 like-minded passengers on Voyager. Complementing the talks given by our own lecturers, who will preview the destinations ahead, the program features historians, explorers, naturalists and diplomats, who will share their expertise, anecdotes and interests with you.

Now the issues if you do not like big resorts ,crowds ,waiting in line and being micro managed cruising is not for you,we are independent and fit and by no means needy and found the whole cruise experience very in your face all the time.

This will depend on the cruise line, and the ship.......it sounds like you would have preferred a smaller capacity ship with less density and a more laissez-faire environment, without announcements etc.

Photographers are obtrusive and pushy and frankly everyone I spoke to on board wants them gone .

Also varies with the cruise line; on my last cruise (Crystal), I don't think I ever saw a photographer except when entering the Captain's reception and being available on formal night (i.e. they were set up, but you had to approach them if you chose to). I saw the photos they took so I know they were taking photos on the ship, but I didn't really ever notice them around.

I would like to thank the people on cruise critic who answered questions prior to us cruising unfortunately unless something with a really interesting destination appears with 1 or less sea days I do not think we will cruise again.

As you said, it's not for everyone. Personally, I like cruising with as few port days as possible - my next cruise will be 13 sea days and 1 port day - so that's an example of how we all want different things.

You never know until you try......your post will be helpful, I'm sure.

Interesting post and we are not sure why some try to insist that there is a cruise line to fit everyone's needs/wants. Based on the OPs post we think that this family would be better served by trying other types of family vacations. Let's analyze the post.

The OP chose to travel with a teen during the fall "shoulder season" when nearly all teens in Europe and North America (a majority of cruisers) are in school. Putting a teen on a ship that will have few other teens is a near guarantee of an unhappy teen. Teens get most of their enjoyment out of meeting friends....not organized activities. When there are few to any opportunities to meet new friends is usually a recipe for disaster.

"Sea days are boring." This is a good indication that the OP (and family) are not ever going to like cruises. Med cruises actually have few sea days (we ourselves often take long cruises with about 50% of the days sea days) and if folks cannot learn how to enjoy a sea day they might want to consider other forms of travel. Having personally had more then 400 sea days (rough estimate) we simply love those relaxing days when we can cuddle up with a good book, gaze out at the beautiful sea, socialize with new friends, etc. This is obviously not the OP's (and family) cup of tea.

"Cruise demographic was older." Any experienced cruiser could have warned the OP that there is usually an older demographic in cruises during the school year since many younger cruisers have kids in school and cannot take 2 weeks (or more) for a Med cruise. If you want a younger demographic its wise to cruise mid-June - Aug.

"Photographers are pushy." We agree! But it's really not difficult to smile and say "no thanks" when bugged by these onboard leaches.

Most cruise ships are a very structured environment (when on the ship) and most cruisers (who enjoy cruising) quickly learn how to deal with the structure. Personally, we seldom get involved in onboard activities and have little problem ignoring much of the structural things and just doing what we want when we want. Even avoiding lines is not too difficult if one does some planning. For example, going to a buffet during prime time (i.e. 11:45 - 1 for lunch) will guarantee a line (just like on land). But for those who hate lines (that would be moi) its easy to avoid the busy times (and the longer lines).

We wish the OP well in their future travel endeavors. The sad thing about their experience is that it all could have been avoided if they had sought advice from very experienced cruisers or a good travel agent (hard to find these days).

Hank

Tasmania,

I wrote earlier that cruising is not for everyone. And you and your family are in that group. Please note that I have traveled widely and enjoy road trips. However, there are travel experiences at sea that in most situations can't be duplicated on a land based vacation. One example is departing Sydney by ship, going past the Opera House and out to sea late in the afternoon. Another is sailing up the Firth of Forth in Scotland on a sparkling early May morning.

I go on cruises for the aesthetics, that is, to be at sea. I don't need massages, spas, drinking, fancy food, entertainment, photographers. Just a good book and the inescapable beauty of the sea.

If you come to the USA and go on a road trip, make sure that you do your research. I do not want you stuck in Los Angeles' traffic between the hours of 4 and 7 in the afternoon. Or looking for a gas station late at night somewhere in Texas. Or finding a parking space in Philadelphia when visiting Independence Hall. Or arriving in Yellowstone National Park area in the summer, only to find your lodging reservation has inadvertently been lost. Or paying lots of money for a place to stay in Boston.

Traveling by car in America takes research and lots of it for people from foreign countries.

Hi

As a recently returned first time cruiser ,older forties couple with an older teen son I thought I would give some feedback.

We picked a 12 day Princess cruise in mediterranean on the Royal Princess with pre stays in Dubai ,Barcelona and after stay in Venice.

The main reason we tried cruising was that travelling as a triple can be awkward as far as available hotels rooms go and we looked at the ship as floating transport and accomadation.

The port stops were fantastic we have travelled extensively so we had been to a number of the previously .

Our cruise demographic was older and the ships entertainment was targeted at this group with no attempt to engage parents who might actually want to do stuff with their kids.

Sea days are "boring " the cruise directors entertainment program on these days completely failed to entice us with it offerings.

My teen was totally put off by the programs offered on board and when I read the program it was pretty lame for teens 14 + this was one area Princess failed miserably these older teens need and deserve something better than "child minding" they pay the full fare also.

The main reason of this blurb is to make people aware that cruising is not for everyone and before you jump in have a list of what you can and can not tolerate when travelling.

It sounds to me like you picked the wrong cruise line. If you want a cruise geared to a more active family, choose an adventure cruise (with port stops everyday) or choose one of the cruise lines that caters to a more active group of passengers, such as Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean.

I'll chime here and try not to repeat what has already been said.

As a parent and now a grandparent I would never have tried crusing with a 14 year old boy! We are also RVers and while raising our kids that was our travel of choice.

Now that it's the two of us we absolutely love cruising but continue to enjoy our RV. If I were to consider taking the grandkids I would find a cruise that appealed to them before spending all that money!

Everyone obviously enjoys different things... makes us all unique.

I thought your post was well thought out. Not everyone is going to enjoy the same things. You tried it, you weren't thrilled, so try something else. No problems! I don't think trying a different cruise line would help you because you would go into it already expecting not to enjoy it, which is fully understandable because you didn't enjoy the last one. That's human nature. We loved it and we're going back. We actually like the hustle and bustle of lots of people, probably because we live a very low key quiet every day life but sometimes it makes me happy to be in the thick of things.

Enjoy your trips any way you wish it's your life and your money!

Thanks People

For the feedback as I indicated in my original post everyone on CC has been very helpful

We think its a "SHIP" thing mainly the inability to jump in a taxi ,car ,plane ,helicopter etc was the deal breaker for us mainly we like to eat somewhere local ,hang with locals at night etc .

Cruising had its good points one I work whilst we travel and it was great to setup my laptop once in 12 days .

As one of the final posters it is unlikely we will cruise again as it just did not tick the boxes for us ,but if the dozens of ships and thousand of passengers we saw in Europe is an indication it suits more than it does not.

All The Best

Tony

We think its a "SHIP" thing mainly the inability to jump in a taxi ,car ,plane ,helicopter etc was the deal breaker for us mainly we like to eat somewhere local ,hang with locals at night etc .

That's exactly why I cruise for sea days and not in order to visit places - I agree that eating somewhere local and hopping on a bus is a great way to really visit a location.

Chacun a son gout.....To each his/her own.

We did a Carribean cruise a few years ago , and loathed it . Hard to put my finger on why, probably a combination of too long at sea , too many people , the tail end of flu , and constant sea queasy....ness. So we said never again:rolleyes:

Next year we are doing a cruise as part of a trip to Alaska , so I am really really really going to try hard to enjoy it . There will be more time on land , more to see from the boat, and im going to be prepared with anti sea sick medications , plus we are going with other people which i hope will help. I think i would have preferred a smaller boat but I went with the flow , so to speak

I think cruising maybe a 'marmite' thing as we say here ( either love it or hate it ) but I think you maybe able to increase your odds in liking it buy doing research. I will never ever do a Carribean cruise again , but i see a few more 'adventurous ' trips that I like the look of .

I'm sure i would like it more if the boats didnt actually leave port:D