How did you start cruising?

Thrak

How and why did you start cruising? Did you "always want to cruise" or did you (like me) get dragged reluctantly onto the ship for your first cruise? Did the first cruise hook you or did it take more than one cruise for it to "take"?

We had never cruised before and it took my wife YEARS to convince me to go on a cruise. I absolutely KNEW I would hate everything about it. The people would be snobs, I didn't have the "right" clothes, and I get sick on winding roads. The only time I had been on the ocean was a 4-hour fishing trip arranged by my boss at the time. I was grotesquely sick the entire time. I wanted to die. If I'd been able to get up to throw myself overboard I might have seriously considered doing so. To top it all off I am a terrible swimmer and will, of course, quickly drown if the ship goes down. (Of course I probably didn't need to worry about that because I would almost certainly attract every shark in the entire ocean if I were to hit the water. I'm that guy...) There was no way in the world that I wanted to get on a cruise ship. I finally gave in to appease my wife. I figured that, even if I hated every minute of it (or drowned or was eaten by sharks or even (gasp!) snubbed by a bunch of cruising snobs) my wife was worth it. :D We booked a 10-day SF / Alaska round trip on Sea Princess.

My wife assured me that "you won't even feel the motion on a ship that size". The first night I woke up in pitch darkness (inside cabin) and it was easy to tell that the room was going up and down and around and every which way at the same time. The next morning people were staggering all over the place. The ship "boomed and shuddered" as it hit big waves.

Fortunately, I didn't trust my wife's assurances and got seasickness patches from my doctor. I didn't get sick at all. Not even a twinge.

We did the 10 day SF/Alaska (Dang! I wish it had been 11 days like the OP has!) and it was awesome. I went from "knowing" that I would "hate everything" about cruising to wanting to cruise as much as possible.

We both still work so it wasn't until the next year (last year) that we could go again and I "talked my wife into" taking a 15-day SF/Hawaii cruise. I've booked another mini-cruise for next May and am trying to fit in another cruise next year as well.

I have three more years until I retire. I can't wait to be free from work so we can cruise more often. :D

1972....P&O Orsova....from Dakar, Senegal to Southampton (with a port stop in Vigo, Spain). Were trying to find a ship to take our small group back to England or Europe.

The ship just happened to be in port, had some empty cabins, and was willing to take us on board for a very small amount of money. Because we didn't have "cruising clothes" they provided us with a private dining room and dedicated wait staff.

Great fun for 6 days.

As it turns out, Captain "McCharming" was a 4th officer on the ship at the time.

I still have the log of the cruise...From Dakar to Vigo it was 1710 miles and we averaged 21.27 knots!

My first cruise when I was 12 years old and my sister was 10. It was just a weekend cruise out of Florida to the Bahamas. Our folks got us our own (inside) cabin. We were thrilled, especially about the naughty picture that was taped to the roll down shade over the phony window. Two pre-teens with the run of the ship, of course we had a ball.

My second cruise didn't happen until I was adult but I still loved it. Wish I could say the same for my husband. I took him on his first cruise and he loved the ports (Alaska) but didn't especially like the concept of cruising. I've since convinced him to go on a few other cruises but not enough for my fix. Luckily my sister loves cruising and my husband is willing to be left at home so that he doesn't have to go on yet another cruise with me.

I've been on several cruise lines but love Princess for the value and their loyalty program. I'm not Elite yet but my sister is. I see what benefits she gets from the program and can't wait until I have enough cruises under my belt for the free laundry.

Jackie

When I was a very young girl, like 2nd grade, I was reading the Betsy-Tacey books (written in the 1920's). In one of the last books Betsy has graduated high school and takes a trip to Europe for the Grand Tour. She travels alone by ship (of course) and the book documents her trip and adventures through the outbreak of the First World War. Reading about her passage and her stop in the Azores and Madeira, as well as Venice and the rest of Europe ignited a travel bug in me.

I remember studying a deck plan of the QE2 with my dad. He wanted to book a family Christmas on a Panama Canal trip. Alas, we were too late to book. We went to Aruba instead, and got the chance to marvel at the "huge" ship when she docked in Oranjestad.

Years later, after grad school while on my first job, I used to drive by this travel agency that was always advertising cruises on their sign. One day I went in and picked up a few brochures. I brought them home and kept them on my coffee table. I looked at them every night - studied each itinerary and ship. Around that time I landed a really great job that would allow me to take a trip like that. My reward to myself was my first cruise. I had an inside stateroom, as far forward as you could be on the Windward. I thought she was huge and I loved everything about it - except my "sensory deprivation chamber stateroom." A couple I met on board showed me their stateroom with a balcony and I knew that some day I wanted to be able to have a room like that. I was hooked. Two years later I took my first Princess Cruise on the Star Princess in Alaska and fell in love with the line.

I took lots of cruises when in the Navy. Other than getting paid rather than paying for the cruise, there was never any compelling reason to want to cruise again. My last cruise in the Navy was in 1972. I swore it would be the last cruise in my life. That lasted until 2002 when I went on an Alaskan cruise on the Star Princess because some friends wanted to do the cruise. Since then I have been hooked and have taken 12 more cruises and have 3 more booked.

My first trip was in 1959 on the Homeric from Montreal to Southampton. I met my future husband, who was the Master at Arms on the Empress of Canada, on my return trip. Have done many sailings over the years and celebrated our 50th anniversary 2 years ago on "O"'s Marina.

My first cruise was 51 years ago when I was Sweet 16 (telling my age :rolleyes: )on our senior class trip to Florida with 3 nights on the SS Bahama Star.

It gave me a lifelong love of cruising and to never drink sloe gin. :D

LuLu

~~~~

I was adamantly opposed to taking a cruise because it would cost WAY too much. My parents (in the 60's) and my older sister had already cruised and kept telling me that it was so much fun. You get to go places you've never been, eat all you can eat, have sleeping quarters as well as entertainment and so much more all rolled up in one price...everything is included. I procrastinated for years until my wife said she would like to try it. So I relented ( if Momma ain't happy, noone is happy)and we planned an Eastern Carribean cruise. Sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale and had a great time. Now time has passed and we have done three other cruises and are on track to sail again in the spring to the Panama Canal (full transit) for the second time. I am a full convert to cruising...there is no other way to vacation for me.

It was my parents who got me into cruising when they brought me and my brother along on a 3-day coastal cruise on the Star Princess (then in its inaugural season) 10 years ago. They cruise frequently on Princess themselves (they aren't quite Elite, but getting close), and since that time I've accompanied them on several more cruises, and taken several cruises of my own. Got a 10-day Caribbean cruise coming up next month, and a 7-day Alaska cruise coming up in May, both with friends. We're also making tentative plans for a 12-day Mediterranean cruise at some point, but don't know when that's going to happen.

Edited by Vexorg

Many years ago my brother was critically injured in an auto accident. Almost a year after the accident, my mother and I felt we deserved a vacation after everything we went through but we didn't take a cruise. We spent a week at a time share in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. That trip got us hooked on going some where, every year, together. The following year, I booked us on a Carnival Cruise and it only took one cruise and we've been HOOKED ever since!!! The year after that, we booked on Princess and we never went back to Carnival! This trip is now a family event and even my brother goes with us! :)

My parents cruised a lot and I was always 'into' travel, so it kind-of just seemed natural.
Same here. My parents also cruised from NY to the Caribbean or took liners to/from Europe. My first "cruise" was about 1955 when my Mom, sister and I took a freighter (owned by friends of my parents) from Newport News to Rotterdam. My Dad flew over and met us, we spent the summer touring all over Europe, and then took the freighter back to VA. We ate all meals with the Captain and officers, there was no menu, no entertainment, no stabilizers in sometimes wild weather and I loved every minute. I had full run if the ship, could go anywhere I wanted, and I did.

Years later, my MIL wanted to take a cruise and wanted us to take care of her. Took two RCCL cruises that way in 1980 and 1986. In the 90's and divorced, I started cruising with my sister, brother-in-law and friends. The rest is history.

Edited by Pam in CA

My first cruise was the result of high school graduation in 2004. It was a tradition that my grandmother started with all of the other grandchildren. You had a choice of either a cruise or about $500 cash. I opted for the cruise as I have always wanted to go. While it wasn't my first choice of location(7 day to Alaska) or those joining me(mom, uncle, and grandma) it was certainly a lot of fun. I remember that cruise vividly, I met a lot of fun and interesting people, some who I still talk to today.

Since that time I have been on a carnival to the Western Caribbean, twice with princess out of California to Mexico, once to Hawaii, and then my latest in 2011 my cruise to Italy from Florida. All have been extremely fun and I have met a lot of interesting people aboard each one. Currently i'm trying to convince my wife to go on one as she has never been.

Either way I'm going on one as a graduation gift to myself for just receiving my Master's 3 weeks ago.

Cruising is fun :)

My first cruise was with my parents and brother about 12 years ago. Never thought I could get my husband to do it, but talked him into it. We've been every year since that first one and my husband is worse than me!! That's all he ever talks about.. Next one is coming up in about 11 days!! Oh\H, and we can't do anything less than a balcony. Corner afts are our favorite!

I had never even thought about cruising but I am a professional musician and an agent called me one day and said he needed a sub to work the Summer on a ship. At first I turned him down; but the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. So I called him back a few days later and asked if the ship job was still available. It was and I spent the whole Alaskan season of 1974 on the original Island Princess. And went on to play on Island Princess, Pacific Princess and the original Sun Princess (the former Spirit of London) over the next four years with several different bands. Needless to say, I fell in love with the ships and with the sea and still cruise as a passenger every chance I can.

Here's picture of me playing the big white grand piano in the Carousel Lounge on Island Princess. Notice that it's still light out and it is after 10:00 p.m.

225314_1036361640840_6020_n.jpg

And here's a photo with me playing bass guitar with a different band in the Caribe Lounge on Island Princess:

5332_1119971891044_863712_n.jpg

The year was 2000...Our son's dance group(he was 10 yrs old then) got to do a 30 minute show on the Viking Serenade. I still remember seeing the ship as we came over the bridge in San Pedro and saying how BIG it was LOL.

It was actually a cruise from hell. 2 large groups of teenagers were onboard, and not very well supervised at all.

I sent a letter to them... RCCL telling them about our 1st cruise experience.

Long story short...they sent me a future cruise credit for $300.00:)

Which I used the next year and we've been happily cruising ever since.

In the fall of 2003 we received a fax at our office about upcoming medical cruises. We called them and booked it that morning. We were given an aft balcony and we borrowed a cruise book from the library that said they were not prime cabins. DH was not convinced so we kept it. We were up early for the meetings so we enjoyed breakfast on the balcony every morning. It was a Western Caribbean cruise on the VOS and the highlight of the program was a talk given by one of the Doc's that was in the centre of the SARS outbreak in Toronto. First and last medical cruise that we have been on but we would like to take others in the future once we can take longer cruises such as New Zealand and Australia or perhaps one to the Galapagos Islands.

I'd spent holidays on board ferries round the Hebrides, and always fancied a cruise on a "real" ships; my OH was raised in Africa and used to return to the UK by ship, so he was used to it. We spent years driving round Europe for our holiday, which meant crossing on a ferry; slowly it dawned that the ferry ride was one of the best parts. so- we took the plunge, and had a fortnight on Sea Princess.

He loved the Caribbean for the snorkelling, but I just loved the ship, and spent most of the 2 weeks walking from lounge to library to balcony, and vowed that this was the way to holiday from now on. :cool:

DH and I talked about trying a cruise out for our 10th anniversary. We ended up taking a 4-day to Catalina/Ensenada, this was 2000. I've only managed three cruises since, one with DH and the kids in 2007 to Mexican Riviera and Alaska with DH for his birthday earlier this year. And I'll be leaving in 11 days with my 82 year old mother (on her first cruise!) to the Western Caribbean for Thanksgiving. If I could swing it, I would cruise 2-3 times a year!!

not quite sure how we came about deciding to try a cruise but we were not sure if we would like it - so we did a combination 3 day cruise aboard the Big Red Boat and 4 day Disney package (way before Disney had their own ships). Figured if we didn't like the cruise, we'd still have Disney. That was back in 1993 and we've done about 60 cruises since then. Actually we will be on the Celebrity Silhouette on B2B cruises (27 days) beginning in mid-November!

BTW I got seasick on that first cruise but fortunately one of our tablemates worked for the company that makes the 'patch' - she gave me one and I've been usng them ever since. Also I am afraid of the water - which most people think pretty strange since I cruise so much.

Marianne

I had gone on my first cruise with my step-grandfather and 2 cousins the summer after my Grandmother passed away back in the 90's.

Many years passed and friends of DH and mine went and told us how much fun it was but DH wasn't having any part of it UNTIL we were planning a vacation and wanted to go out to Key West...

Just the hotel out in Key West was going to be $400+ for 2 nights and 4 night cruise was only $129/pp, so we gave it a try and now were both hooked.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In 1975, after a high school reunion, five couples decided to get together once a month instead of waiting for another reunion. On one of these get togethers, someone suggested we would have a blast on a cruise ship. We all were young parents with little extra money and agreed to plan the cruise for 1980, five years away. We did it! We cruised to Bermuda on the Doric out of NY through a big northeaster, tilted at a scary angle and kissed the shores of Bermuda when we got there! If it weren't for the 3 days in port, the whole trip would have been a waste. Guess what happened going back to NY....yep, we went through another miserable storm. Swore I would never cruise again. But never say never! 10 years later, hubby had the itch to see Alaska and talked me into trying another cruise on HAL. Since we would be in the Inside Passage, I agreed to try it.

We had a fantastic cruise this time and planned to cruise again. However, we ended up buying our own boat and spent our vacation time cruising Long Island Sound and The Chesapeake Bay.

When we retired, and moved south, we sold the boat and took our first Princess cruise on the Coral to the Panama Canal. As we cruised back to FT. Lauderdale, hubby turned to me and said "I don't want to get off".

And so, we cruise a couple times a year and have not only done a TA :D we also have done a Trans Pacific. Boating has always been in our blood, but now we let Princess fill her up and dock her. :D

THE LOVE BOAT - it made cruising look like so much fun and so romantic. However the romantic evenings outside portrayed on TV did not show the wind blowing hair and clothes. It was still a great way to vacation - unpack once and visit different places, great meals and interesting fellow passengers.