LIVE from the Riviera Nov 18 Crossing

sldispatcher

sldispatcher, thank you so much for your "live" from Riviera. As we will be embarking in a scant 45 days on her sister, we are now totally jazzed about the trip. Your suggestions are intriguing and we are looking forward to "pondering" them, especially the adult beverage section of it ;)

Thank you so much for your reports. I have been lurking, but following along as we will be on riviera in 2 mos. (yes, I know that is shocking for my regent and silversea friends, but I like to try things out.). And anyone who knows about coursey bacon from St Joe arkansas is a smart guy IMO.

Delightful reports....thank you.

We did a Fred Olsen 12 day Panama Canal cruise and on eight of the days they had a different 'bread pudding' with various delectable sauces. My wife had never tried bread puddings...after the first, she became addicted, and sampled all eight. I would add this to your interesting list of different foods.

14. Where, oh where, do they come up with that concoction that they call iced tea? Please see those of us in the deep south for a quality reference for fresh brewed iced tea. If one cannot see the ice cubes in the glass, you have gone way past iced tea that is drinkable.

I finally solved the iced tea issue on Oceania. Just get a couple of Ceylon Orange Pekoe tea bags, or one of them and one Green tea bag, put in a tea pot, fill with water from the machine, let steep for a while. Get a couple of glasses of ice and keep requesting ice each time the servers come around the table. Best iced tea we've ever had on a cruise ship. The biggest issue is to convince the waiters to let you do it yourself, because they just don't get the iced tea concept.

Also easily done with Butler service in the room, but they'll keep bringing the tea cups, even after they've seen you not use them for days and you tell them it's for iced tea. Getting a tall glass from them takes a bit more doing.

Thanks for your observations on our shared cruise. With over 800 repeat guests on this trip it appears Oceania is doing quite a few things right. On the other hand from observing the age groups on board it seems that Oceania's largest challenge will be building a new core group of loyal customers in a younger demographic as their current client base will be aging out on them in the next 10 -15 years.

Edited by ORV

Number 2 is interesting but outdated..Terrace Cafe was originally Tapas (in the evening) wityh Sangria (yum) and that was what was served in the evening buffet..obviously did not go well as it was replaced long ago.

Jancruz1

Number 2 is interesting but outdated..Terrace Cafe was originally Tapas (in the evening) wityh Sangria (yum) and that was what was served in the evening buffet..obviously did not go well as it was replaced long ago.

Jancruz1

LOL, #8 restates a "tried and failed" experiment as well, but as they say about ANY new Idea:

30% of your clients will love it.

30% will hate it .

30% will insist that they suggested the new idea, at least ten years ago.

10% will remain blissfully unaware that any change was ever made.

I did not elaborate on some of the above to save space.

#2 was not done as a sit down special service. It was still a buffet service. You can get Asian food in Terrace at times but that doesn't offer the same experience as Red Ginger. You can order steaks and pasta in Terrace but that does not keep people from going to Toscana or Polo. The point was that Red Ginger has such a different style that it really attracts people. You can pick Tapas, eskimo food, Brazilian Steakhouse, etc...doesn't matter.

#8 was mentioned as having the option of having an additional upcharge per person IF the party wanted it. The $1000 originally charged did not change whether you had 4 people or 10 people. In that format, Privee discriminated against those who did not want to or care to find people to share the burden. We actually did have the option to discuss anything special required from the culinary team, but they seemed to "busy" to really care. The per person upcharge has NOT been done before.

#8 was mentioned as having the option of having an additional upcharge per person IF the party wanted it. The $1000 originally charged did not change whether you had 4 people or 10 people. In that format, Privee discriminated against those who did not want to or care to find people to share the burden. We actually did have the option to discuss anything special required from the culinary team, but they seemed to "busy" to really care. The per person upcharge has NOT been done before.

I thought they were doing away with Privee

:confused:

Thanks for providing a wonderful teaser for my upcoming first cruise on Riviera! (Just over one month to wait now.) Your posts clearly took a lot of thought and time, and you have lightened these very dreary cold-weather days for me.

I look forward to enjoying the benefits of the dining room staff you watched being trained. And I sincerely hope PaulChili has left some O points on board for my trivia contests! :)

Edited by CintiPam