LIVE from the Riviera Nov 18 Crossing

sldispatcher

Greetings fellow CC members.

After months of anticipation, it is time for my second journey aboard Oceania Cruises. This time, the Riviera will play host for 14 days on a Transatlantic cruise. With this voyage, I am eagerly looking forward to comparing this trip with that of the Marina Maiden Voyage that I was fortunate enough to be a part of.

As before, this will not be a run down of daily activities, but rather just what I want to recollect and reflect on for that day. I'll be happy to try an answer questions as we sail along. I've enjoyed reading back over some of my stories and it brings the feelings of that initial voyage back to me every time.

I was touched by one anonymous crewmember posting on that maiden voyage that asked that we come back sometime when they were really getting it "right".

I had not seen a whole lot wrong the first time. :)

We've arrived into Barcelona after a rather arduous plane journey, but we are happy to be here with all luggage in tow. Even the bedside fan seems to be happier with transformer/converter combination.

For the past 6 months, our cruise "prep" has consisted of reading over menus. Last week, it was an item by item listing in each specialty dining venue. We will be trying the Terrace Café for dinner for the first time this trip along with La Reserve for an evening. 14 days is simply not long enough!!!!

No cruise would be as fulfilling for me without the countless posts that go into Cruise Critic. Thanks to all of you for keeping us informed.

So buckle up, put your tray tables in the upright and locked position, take your NoDoze, and follow along if you like.

Oh, goody, you are back! I so enjoyed your dispatches during your Marina cruise, and eagerly anticipate those which will be posted here over the next couple of weeks.

BTW, please feel free to report on what wildman Paulchili is up to while on board as well! ;)

Bon voyage!

Today has been spent in "recovery" mode. As well it should be as it has been quite blustery and rainy all day. After 13 hours of sleeping, I awoke to the sound of what I thought was rolling carts across the floor.

Nope, it was thunder.

We are staying at the Eurostars Grand Marina. This room faces into a quadrangle with a variety of buildings surrounding the area. The hotel is one of my traveling companion's favorite because of the proximity to the dock. The rooms are stylish and large as compared to my limited exposure to other Barcelona hotels. One unfortunate thing is that the air conditioning system is configured in a way that large blocks of rooms are either on heat or cold. We like cold. We love sleeping cold. Obviously, democracy in action has chosen heat.

Therefore we will be spending the night with the balcony door open. It is cool enough, but it took 24 hours of back and forth for someone at the front desk to finally admit that the rooms are in blocks on the a/c system.

Tonight is dinner at Sensi Barcelona for tapas. I will comment on that experience later.

As far as the anticipation for the cruise, my dad, who is traveling on the cruise, has vowed to never feel the first hunger pang for the entire 14 days. He has been told that is the best way to combat any sea sickness. Needless to say, he's never had the slightest hint of nausea while at sea!

We have 4 specialty dining reservations. One at each of the venues, plus La Reserve and a stop in Privee. We will also be attempting a first: getting our DW's to try the Terrace as opposed to going to the MDR. Something about "we like to be served" keeps rolling over the pouting lips.

Wish all of you could be anticipating boarding with us.

We will also be attempting a first: getting our DW's to try the Terrace as opposed to going to the MDR. Something about "we like to be served" keeps rolling over the pouting lips.

My spouse also "likes to be served", so one night on Marina, I did appetizers on my own at the buffet, focusing on the delicious grilled seafood, then met him in the MDR for the rest of the meal!:D

I probably will do the same on Riviera in January!:)

"We will also be attempting a first: getting our DW's to try the Terrace as opposed to going to the MDR. Something about "we like to be served" keeps rolling over the pouting lips."

I know what you mean. My travelling partner has always thought of buffets like cafeteria food. She likes to be served too. Not sure why we went to the Terrace one night but we were so impressed, we ate there 4 nights out of the 10.

There was an item on the menu one night called 72 hr braised shortrib, which my friend would say is "ugh" stew. We would never have tried it if it had been just words on the menu. It looked like a steak and was medium rare and it melted in your mouth. If you see it, you should try it - we both thought it was just about the best thing we ate on the cruise. That includes the food we had in LaReserve which was wonderful and well worth the price imho.

CJ

"We will also be attempting a first: getting our DW's to try the Terrace as opposed to going to the MDR. Something about "we like to be served" keeps rolling over the pouting lips."

I know what you mean. My travelling partner has always thought of buffets like cafeteria food. She likes to be served too. Not sure why we went to the Terrace one night but we were so impressed, we ate there 4 nights out of the 10.

There was an item on the menu one night called 72 hr braised shortrib, which my friend would say is "ugh" stew. We would never have tried it if it had been just words on the menu. It looked like a steak and was medium rare and it melted in your mouth. If you see it, you should try it - we both thought it was just about the best thing we ate on the cruise. That includes the food we had in LaReserve which was wonderful and well worth the price imho.

CJ

It pays to have an open mind :)

Mine is not very open when it comes to food - after this many (too many) years I know what I like and what I don't. Pleasant surprise are quite rare :D

Last night, Sensi was a delightful tour of the taste buds tucked away on a small curvy street of the Gothic Quarter. There was nothing even or straight about the road with narrow sidewalks and many narrow store fronts. With the rain and dim lighting, horse drawn carriages would have been at home as well our taxi. Four of us were packed in tightly in the clean yellow cab much like Pez candies in a dispenser. We couldn't move forward, sideways, or backwards.

The trip was brief and the welcome into Sensi was warm. 8 tapas and 2 desserts later, we left for a repeat of the above trip back to the hotel. It was our only outing into the city today due to rain and 25+ mph winds.

Today has dawned overcast and rainy again. The Mediterranean doesn't appear as angry today, but navy blue rain clouds are moving across the city. Another light lunch in the hotel bar area today.

We are still adjusting to the jet lag but we are now ready to board the Riviera.

For some people, the idea of a Transatlantic cruise probably seems ridiculous. Why would one want to sail for 14 days and only visit 3 ports?

I can think of several reasons:

1) It is a great value. I mean, no matter what the cruise line, the crossings are a REALLY good value. You would be really challenged to find a land based resort with this level of dining and comfort along with the transportation thrown in to go a few thousand miles at this price.

2) If you haven't cruised on Oceania, you probably don't appreciate just how comfortable the ship is. Feelings of "home" are more prevalent than "resort". If you've ever dreamed of staying at home and having someone cook and clean for you for 14 days..then this is it.

3) As far as long as I can remember, I always thought of a vacation as being something that meant relaxation and getting away from it all. A "trip" is where you go someplace and get busy doing as much as you can to "see it all". Both are fine. Some people must be forced into having a true vacation. TA crossing will accomplish that.

4) TA crossing gives me just a sense of old world wonder. Crossing the Atlantic will make you reflect on all of the people that did it under much less opulent circumstances. Most of us in the States can look back to family that made a similar crossing with just one word on their minds: hope.

5) TA crossing allows you to enjoy..I mean really enjoy the ship. There is no rush. You can sit in the library for 3 hours and read and not feel like you missed anything.

6) People who are not familiar with Oceania in particular do not fully realize the quality of the epicurean experience is from start to finish. They truly can compete and often beat most of the high end land side dining establishments in most any city. At least that was my one time experience on the maiden voyage of the Marina. 14 days of that is just fine with me!

So for those of you who think you wouldn't like the Transatlantic Crossings, the rest of us are glad you don't! We'd prefer that you keep on your port-a-day itineraries.

So for those of you who might be asking "why would you want to go on that?", I simply smile.

I already know why.

Sorry I won't be able to follow this thread.

I'll be on Marina heading towards Rio.

Enjoy all, but

I wouldn't spend my cruise posting

Did really enjoy your postings on the Marina inaugural, but there are many with first hand postings going back a year on Riviera.

I love posts like this, and you are bringing the Riviera back as we will be on it for the Holiday Cruise and Mayan Mystique. Hope to hear all favorable reviews.

DH and I don't mind the Terrace as the food is not prepared in advance and there is such a great selection. Enjoy your evening(s) there and please don't eat all the lobster! LOL

Last night, Sensi was a delightful tour of the taste buds tucked away on a small curvy street of the Gothic Quarter. The trip was brief and the welcome into Sensi was warm. 8 tapas and 2 desserts later, we left for a repeat of the above trip back to the hotel. It was our only outing into the city today due to rain and 25+ mph winds.

We are still adjusting to the jet lag but we are now ready to board the Riviera.

For some people, the idea of a Transatlantic cruise probably seems ridiculous. Why would one want to sail for 14 days and only visit 3 ports?

I can think of several reasons:

1) It is a great value. I mean, no matter what the cruise line, the crossings are a REALLY good value. You would be really challenged to find a land based resort with this level of dining and comfort along with the transportation thrown in to go a few thousand miles at this price.

2) If you haven't cruised on Oceania, you probably don't appreciate just how comfortable the ship is. Feelings of "home" are more prevalent than "resort". If you've ever dreamed of staying at home and having someone cook and clean for you for 14 days..then this is it.

3) As far as long as I can remember, I always thought of a vacation as being something that meant relaxation and getting away from it all. A "trip" is where you go someplace and get busy doing as much as you can to "see it all". Both are fine. Some people must be forced into having a true vacation. TA crossing will accomplish that.

4) TA crossing gives me just a sense of old world wonder. Crossing the Atlantic will make you reflect on all of the people that did it under much less opulent circumstances. Most of us in the States can look back to family that made a similar crossing with just one word on their minds: hope.

5) TA crossing allows you to enjoy..I mean really enjoy the ship. There is no rush. You can sit in the library for 3 hours and read and not feel like you missed anything.

6) People who are not familiar with Oceania in particular do not fully realize the quality of the epicurean experience is from start to finish. They truly can compete and often beat most of the high end land side dining establishments in most any city. At least that was my one time experience on the maiden voyage of the Marina. 14 days of that is just fine with me!

So for those of you who think you wouldn't like the Transatlantic Crossings, the rest of us are glad you don't! We'd prefer that you keep on your port-a-day itineraries.

So for those of you who might be asking "why would you want to go on that?", I simply smile.

I already know why.

Agree completely. For us "the ship is the destination" and we enjoy every second aboard. Been to most of the ports on the cruises we take so a nice walk and revisit for an hour or two is perfect. Then comes the joy of "back to the ship."

We are onboard and touring in the very wet Cava area. Lovely day to have stayed on board readying the ship. Everything had been close to perfect. We actually have always liked being served on board and never went to the cafes at night. Terrace Cafe is very nice at night. We have enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere there.

Looking forward to reading your posts again. Just returned from 10 day Nautica cruise BCN to BCNand had beautiful warm weather until near the end - unseasonable warm for November. unfortunately near the end the Mediterranean was becoming crouchy. hoping you have a smooth crossing and will be living vicariously through your posts. At least I won't gain any more weight that way!

Hi Paul. Happy sailing to you and Marsha! too. Loved those tapas in Barcelona.

Now is when things really REALLY get exciting. Riviera is sitting in port. I feel bad for those whose last night is upon them. But if I have to say so myself, I wish you would hurry on your way now :)

I don't own the place and never heard of it until last night, but Cera 23 delivered an awesome foodie experience for those cruisers looking for a culinary delight before or after the cruise. It is Oceania level cuisine if you know what I'm talking about.

With 12 hours to go, I will try and get some rest. But there are a few things I'm specifically looking forward to "comparing" as we start the cruise tomorrow.

1. The padding in the carpet. It was immediately noticeable for me on the Marina. Compared to the 4 other cruises I have taken since, none of the ships came close.

2. Looking for that seemingly unobtainable level of shipboard cuisine they seem to have mastered right off the bat with our Marina sailing.

3. Going in the PH1 this time. Was in B4 on previous cruise. Probably a serious mistake on the part of raising my DW's expectations. :eek:

4. Seeing how well the engineering design of the ship has held up after almost 2 years at sea. I was thrilled with how "tight" everything seemed on the new Marina. I'll be listening for creeks, groans, and rubs.

5. I'll be interested to check out the demographics on this cruise. But not what you are thinking. I'm not concerned about the age of the cruisers, but looking at the level of "fun factor"/relaxation/dining time rushes, etc.

6. I want to check out additional dining venues we did not try the first time.

7. I want to have a 2nd go at Red Ginger and see if my personal taste profile is happier with my selections this time than before. I think my expectations were just a little off on the previous cruise and I was rather merciless with my review of that venue.

8. It will be interesting to see how comfortable the crew is with their ship compared to the first time around when everything was so new. I would expect the "rhythm" of the service to be all of one accord.

9. I'm curious just about the boarding process in the morning. Will it be registration on ship or out in the terminal? (small things, I know)

10. We'll see how the cooking classes go once more. Enjoyed mine the first time (except for the pairing up part..not what I thought I had paid for).

11. Looking forward to sampling some of the enrichment options. This is one of the most rewarding aspects for me while onboard a ship. Learning or doing something you haven't done before..and a new skill is never a wasted one.

12. Finally, I'm looking forward to simply writing down daily thoughts. This is not a wasted effort for me but part of my enjoyment of the voyage. I know that I have gleaned so much from other's reports that it is always my way of giving back regardless of how many other reviews have been written or what someone thinks I need to do with my time while onboard.;) So if even one morsel of information gets out to someone in need, it will be satisfying.

I guess it is now t -11 and counting now.

Good night.

Hi Paul. Happy sailing to you and Marsha! too. Loved those tapas in Barcelona.

Hi Joanna,

Glad you enjoyed the tapas. We are staying at Le Meridian and there is a nice looking Tapas place across the street. We thought we might try it until we overheard the concierge recommending "our "place to a customer.

We then decided that we'd go back to the place we know and like (and apparently locals do as well). Besides, the menu on the other one wasn't that interesting.