Looking for a Cruise Suggestion

GoBestBunnymoon

Hello All,

So this is my first post and I hope I am posting it in the right place (First Time Cruisers seemed a logical start). My now fiance and I are looking at taking a cruise for our Honeymoon. We both have some strong ideas of what we would like so were hoping for tips and/or suggestions on specific cruise lines or perhaps places we hadn't thought of to cruise. Here are the details:

- Wedding is on 7/26/14 so we would be looking to leave (from anywhere) on the cruise in between 7/28 and 8/3.

- We are looking for a cruise that is 10 days give or take a few.

- We were thinking of Europe due to weather but are not tied to it.

- Looking for a cruise that visits a decent number of ports with thins to do.

- Also would like a leisurely pace with a some sea days and not just stopping in a port every day.

- Ship should 100% have an outdoor pool on deck for relaxing

I know it's a number of requirements, but any suggestions or fingers pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oceania cruise lline would be the one I would be looking at.They have great itineraries in Europe that are port intensive. The ships are small and beautifully decorated and the cabins are roomy.

Another one I likeis Regent Seven Seas. They are all inclusive.

A good travel agent that specializes in cruising could be your best friend while making honeymoon plans.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Hello All,

So this is my first post and I hope I am posting it in the right place (First Time Cruisers seemed a logical start). My now fiance and I are looking at taking a cruise for our Honeymoon. We both have some strong ideas of what we would like so were hoping for tips and/or suggestions on specific cruise lines or perhaps places we hadn't thought of to cruise. Here are the details:

- Wedding is on 7/26/14 so we would be looking to leave (from anywhere) on the cruise in between 7/28 and 8/3.

- Also would like a leisurely pace with a some sea days and not just stopping in a port every day.

I know it's a number of requirements, but any suggestions or fingers pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I would suggest as a starting point that you visit one of the big travel sites (can't mention them by name on here). You should be able to input much of the above information into the search feature and the results will give you a good idea of what is available. Then you can go to each of the cruiseline's websites and explore there and visit their forum on here.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

I suggest you go to a local travel agency, talk to someone, and get a bunch of those lovely glossy brochures to read. Then go online (cruise line website, cruise critic etc) and read reviews (with a grain of salt) and narrow down your search.

If you decide to do a European cruise, either Med or Baltic, go a day or 2 before the cruise to explore a bit. We spent 2 days in Rome before our cruise, not a lot of time, but we got to see a bit of the city.

Med can be very hot in July, so be prepared. Baltic is nice.

Just because you are in port, doesn't mean you have to do a big excursion, sometimes just walking around the town is okay. No big rush. Have a glass of wine at a local bistro.

Air fare to Europe may eat into your budget. Check flight times, you don't want a mad rush to get to the airport after a relaxing cruise.

My brother and sister-in-law registered at a local TA, so wedding guests knew what to 'buy' for them - money towards their honeymoon.

Enjoy your cruise.

Congratulations on the wedding.

Europe will not be leisurely or slow paced. You'll probably not find a 10 day cruise with a mix of sea days and port days. Europe in July and August will be hot and humid, and VERY crowded, so you need to be prepared for that.

What cruise you take depends on your budget. There are budget cruise lines and there are luxury lines and lines in between those. Your first decision needs to be how much you have to spend. Airfare to Europe will be insanely expensive. Many are finding that you can pay more for your airfare than you do the cruise. Once you have a budget, I highly recommend finding a good local travel agent and have a sit down to discuss what you want. They cost you nothing, and they can guide you to the best choices. Like I said, you'll have a lot of choices, but it all depends on your budget.

We are going to assume that you are a younger (under 40 is young in the cruise world) couple and will have some kind of budget. Living in New York also gives you relatively easy access to some good international airports (i.e. Newark and JFK) that have the best prices on flights to/from Europe. So, I am going to suggest you look at a few of the so-called mass market cruise lines that do attract plenty of younger cruisers and also have some decent prices. For starters we suggest you look at the various itineraries and prices on Celebrity, Princess, and RCI (these lines all have multiple ships in Europe during the summer). You can simply go to each cruise line's web site and browse the options. There are also some large cruise agencies that have great cruise data bases online...and you can find some of these by simply Googling "discount cruise agencies."

Once you find some cruises you thing are interesting, start reading the Cruise Critic reviews for that ship (and itinerary..if available) paying a lot of attention to the reviews posted by individual cruisers. Then if you still have questions you should post them on the Cruise Critic board for that particular cruise line.

As to local travel agencies, that is also a good place to look (and talk) if you happen to have a good local agency that specializes in cruise bookings and really knows the industry. Unfortunately, we now find that many smaller local agencies really do not have a lot of cruise experience and merely push certain lines (usually the ones that give them the best commissions and overrides). The larger online cruise agencies will book more cruises in a single day then most local agencies do in a year (or several years). In some cases these cruise agencies can give you a better deal then you will find at home...such as giving you On Board Credits (like cash to spend onboard), pre paid gratuities (like giving you $25 a day), etc.

Hank

Europe will not be leisurely or slow paced. You'll probably not find a 10 day cruise with a mix of sea days and port days. Europe in July and August will be hot and humid, and VERY crowded, so you need to be prepared for that.

If Europe is not likely to lend itself to a leisurely trip aboard the ship, what other destinations would be recommended?

We are going to assume that you are a younger (under 40 is young in the cruise world) couple and will have some kind of budget. Living in New York also gives you relatively easy access to some good international airports (i.e. Newark and JFK) that have the best prices on flights to/from Europe.

Once you find some cruises you thing are interesting, start reading the Cruise Critic reviews for that ship (and itinerary..if available) paying a lot of attention to the reviews posted by individual cruisers. Then if you still have questions you should post them on the Cruise Critic board for that particular cruise line.

As to local travel agencies, that is also a good place to look (and talk) if you happen to have a good local agency that specializes in cruise bookings and really knows the industry.

Hank

We are under 40 and while budget is a consideration, it is hardly the defining one. How can you tell if a TA is good with cruises?

Oceania cruise lline would be the one I would be looking at.They have great itineraries in Europe that are port intensive. The ships are small and beautifully decorated and the cabins are roomy.

Another one I likeis Regent Seven Seas. They are all inclusive.

A good travel agent that specializes in cruising could be your best friend while making honeymoon plans.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Just checked out Oceania and unfortunately they only have one cruise that falls in our timeline.

The Regent looks nice but are the benefits of an all inclusive worth it? Certainly a much pricier option...

I highly recommend Alaska. It's absolutely beautiful, the scenery as you leisurely cruise by is amazing. Plus, the wildlife is really cool to see. You can also do a cruise tour to Alaska where you cruise for 7 days and then go off the ship on a land tour of Alaska to Denali National Park. Princess is great for cruise tours. In July and August the weather in Alaska is perfect for walking, hiking, kayaking and lots of other things. And, it's warm enough for swimming in the ship's pools.

If Europe is not likely to lend itself to a leisurely trip aboard the ship, what other destinations would be recommended?

We are under 40 and while budget is a consideration, it is hardly the defining one. How can you tell if a TA is good with cruises?

What a good question and I honestly do not know :).. We can tell because we have been cruising for over forty years (more then 3 years on cruise ships) so we would know when they haven't a clue. This might be a good reason to only deal with a major travel agency such as the larger reputable online cruise agencies or a well established large local agency. Cruise critic posting rules do not allow us to give suggestions, but a little research on the internet might answer some of your questions.

As to where to go on a cruise, this is really a personal thing. But having cruised all over the world (6 continents) we think the Mediterranean offers lots of great options during the April - Oct season. There are many different itineraries and some fabulous posts. You can go to places in countries like Spain, France and Italy, or you can get a little more exotic and go to places like Istanbul (one of our favorite ports) and Kusadasi (to see the ruins at Ephesus). Just keep in mind that air fares to Europe (and just about everywhere) have been going up up up and you are talking about the prime time in Europe which generally means the highest air fares.

By the way, since you asked about Regent.....this is an excellent cruise line (one of the best) but is in what some of cause the ultra-luxury end of the cruise market. Everything on board will be top class, but you might find that the passengers are a bit older because of the much higher cost. A Regent cruise can cost you twice the price of the popular mass market lines (like Princess, Celebrity, etc) and you must decide if you are prepared to pay those big bucks. Also keep in mind that you will spend a lot of money in European ports....especially if you primarily book shore excursions as opposed to doing things on your own. A majority of first-time visitors will rely on the expensive cruise line excursions...and this will add substantially to your trip cost.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Alaska does sound good. Try finding a reputable travel agent and I think you'll save lots of time and probably lots of $$$. You might want to consider a suite with NCL. NCL suites offer wonderful perks and the prices

are very good. Here's a partial list of some of the perks courtesy of Waldospepper:

Here are a few tips to help you sort out the perks associated with the different types/levels of suites on Norwegian Cruise Line.

• Perks come with all full suite accommodations. Mini-suites do not fall into that category. Any stateroom category that starts with an "S" is considered a full suite.

• Some ships are equipped with a Haven, and some are not. Ships that are equipped with a Haven will have two levels of suite: Haven suites and non-Haven suites. Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a number. Non-Haven Suites are designated by the letter "S" followed by a letter.

• Haven suites have access to the Haven regardless of where they are situated on the ship. The Haven has its own pool, hot tub, sauna, and sundeck. Some have their own restaurant and bar within the Haven complex. Some Haven's also have a retractable roof over the central area. Haven configuration varies based on ship class/generation

• All suites have access to a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

• All suites have Butler and Concierge service.

• All suites receive invitations to a special cocktail reception with the Captain and other Officers.

• All suites receive priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as priority tendering.

• All suites receive one bottle of Sparkling Wine, one large bottle of water, a bowl of fresh fruit (replenished upon consumption) and a fresh flower arrangement in their suite, along with treats delivered daily by the Butler. (Note: Garden Villas, Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites receive Champagne instead of Sparkling Wine)

• Garden Villa's receive 6 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water, while Deluxe Owner's Suites and Owner's Suites each receive 3 bottles of alcohol with unlimited mixers, soda and water.

• All suites are provided with a variety of Elemis brand toiletries.

• All suites are equipped with a Coffee/Cappuccino/Espresso Machine (Most are Lavazza pod-style machines), however the Sun has Lavazza machines in the Owner’s Suites, but drip-style coffee brewers in all other suites (these suites cannot accommodate these devices).

• All suites have access to the Pre-Cruise Concierge service, which helps to coordinate your individual selections on pillow types, coffee and tea preferences, and a variety of special requests.

• All suites (except the SG and SJ suites on Deck 12 of the Star and some suites on the Sun) have a portable phone, which can be used throughout the ship.

• All suites are equipped with the "Bliss Bed" which truly lives up to its name.

• All suites have an expanded Room Service menu. Essentially, order whatever you want, and if it is available on the ship you will have it.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...

I have listed some cruises you might take a look at. I have been on all of the cruise lines and visited most of the ports. Remember though you call the shots on a cruise, that is, you and your soon to be husband do as much as you want or as little. Want to stay in your cabin all day and have room service three or more times you do it without anyone telling you what to do. That a cruise ship stops in a port each day doesn't mean that you have to run yourself crazy trying to see everything in each port.

Also I have not included inexpensive cruises or very high end cruises. I don't want to start any arguments here but a first cruise really means you have nothing to compare it with while CCers as a group have been on thousands of cruises. They know what they like and do not about cruises.

Here goes..

Ruby Princess British Isles (especially visits to Scotland by sea)

Celebrity Constellation Amsterdam to Amsterdam 8/1 to 8/13 Northern Europe - this is a great cruise

Celebrity Infinity British Isles 8/4

Celebrity's Reflection 8/4 Round trip Rome

I have been to Alaska 4 times by cruise ship and frankly as much as I really like Alaska, there are other places for a honeymoon more romantic. Good luck on your search.

Edited by Fredr
language andlanguage

Hello All,

Welcome to Cruise Critic GoBestBunnyMoon and Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Holland America Line has a nice 11-day Western Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam leaving Civitavecchia Rome on August 3. Most Med. cruises are very port intensive unless you take a two-week cruise. The itinerary for the HAL cruise is a nice one:

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy | Naples, Italy | Palermo, Sicily, Italy | La Goulette, Tunisia | Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy | Calvi, France | Monte Carlo, Monaco | Marseille, France | Barcelona, Spain plus two sea days.

Holland America Line has beautiful ships, the Noordam is a gorgeous, with excellent service, food and lovely public rooms. There is an outdoor pool with a magrodome roof that closes during inclement weather. A balcony cabin per person would run you around $2,300 a person.

HAL gets the knock for being a bit sluggish after 10 pm, but, if you're cruising the Med you'll want to save your energy for Europe anyway.

You might also consider Celebrity Cruise Lines, the Reflection sails a 10-night cruise on August 15 round trip Rome to the Greek Isles. You would love Celebrity, very modern, elegant ships, top-notch service, delicious food.

Princess is another line to consider as well. Their brand new ship Regal Princess is sailing the Med. in early August 2014. Her sister ship Royal Princess recently debuted and looks gorgeous but, often times there are growing pains with new ships so perhaps you might want plan for a more seasoned ship.

The best thing to do as others have suggested is to get some brochures so you can study the itineraries, see what the ships look like. Go to http://www.shipparade.com for in depth pictures of hundreds of ships, read reviews on Cruise Critic and make your choice.

Have fun planning.

Jonathan

I was on an Adriatic Sea cruise from Venice and although it required some planning it was a wonderful relaxing vacation. The cities were small and easy to see in the limited time that cruiseships offer. It was a great introduction to Europe for me and our 3 teenagers. We combined it with visits in Viena and Hungary and an all night train trip from Viena to Venice which added to the trip. You can plan to stay a few days in Venice as most of these sailings tend to be 7 nights.

We are going on a Greek Island Cruise from Venice in May and that looks really relaxing to me to. I think Rome, Florence and Barcelona can be hectic but there are plenty of slower paced places to visit in Europe.

Opinion...HAL is a good cruise line. However, the demographics for HAL is higher overall than for the cruise lines i mentioned, and this couple will be on their honeymoon. I hae been on 5 or 6 HAL cruises so I am speaking fro experience.

A Hawaii cruise would be great...however Hawaii cruises from California go in the winter.

Addenda..look at cruises to Canada and New England.

Edited by Fredr

We did Star Clippers for our honeymoon in the Med.

It was a perfect combination of exciting ports and relaxation. Also there were only 4 people under the age 18 onboard. ;) Can't imagine honeymooning on a ship with thousands of passengers and hundreds of rowdy kids on school break.

Don't know your budget, but they have everything in the list you posted. :)

Congrats! If it was my HM, after 45 plus cruises on most main lines, preference to Med, premium line, newest ships. Pull up online discount cruise only agencies for extensive listings. Did Celebrity Silhoutte Adriatic last Spring. One of most beautiful ships at sea, not too large.Her sister ship is Reflections, both under 3 yrs. old. Love their pools, esp. Solarium ones.I see Aug 3 7N on Silhoutte rt Venice and Aug 4 11N rt Rome on Reflections. Celebrity has excellent 1-2-3 SALE on currently.Look them up.

Edited by zoncom

Hello All,

My wife and I did our honeymoon on a 7 day Greek Island Cruise on the Norwegian Jade out of Venice. 4 days consecutively in port(Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olimpia) and 2 sea days. Then we spent 3 days in Venice post-cruise. You'll have to check the website to see if the itinerary fits your schedule. Just a suggestion. Congrats and Good luck.

Have you also considered Alaska? Or Norway or Scandinavia cruise? You will be in the middle of summer, and the Mediterranean and most cruise locations will be blazing hot. The northern cruises also tend to have a good mix of sea days and port days, and the scenery while you are on the ship is beautiful.

Also nothing like looking at mountains and glaciers while sitting in a hot tub on deck.