Jeans

rsquare

As someone who has never sailed with AZ but is about to, I need some clarification regarding on-board dress. It's pretty clear from the website that I can't wear jeans into the MDR or specialty restaurants, and I'm OK with that, I guess. But I live in jeans at home, and am wondering if I can on the ship as well, at least during the day. Come to think of it, should I interpret the "no jeans in the MDR" policy as also meaning that I can't wear them to lunch or breakfast there?

As someone who has never sailed with AZ but is about to, I need some clarification regarding on-board dress. It's pretty clear from the website that I can't wear jeans into the MDR or specialty restaurants, and I'm OK with that, I guess. But I live in jeans at home, and am wondering if I can on the ship as well, at least during the day. Come to think of it, should I interpret the "no jeans in the MDR" policy as also meaning that I can't wear them to lunch or breakfast there?

Most "No Jeans " rules apply for supper and evening time.

If you eat in the buffet at night you can wear them there too.

Theoretically, if you never ate in the MDR or the specialties you could wear jeans ALL THE TIME.

Ahhhh....but I hope he doesn't sacrifice the MDR just so he can wear jeans. The food is too delicious to pass up.

DH does not wear jeans but wears shorts on the ship during the day....it's nice to be comfortable on Azamara.

The OP really only needs pants for the MDR like Dockers or something like that...still comfortable. :D

Does anyone know if they'll turn me away if I'm wearing white or black jeans and a dressy top? I'm talking very neat pressed jeans worn with heels.

Do they inspect guests clothing that closely?

If so, I'll know not to wear them for dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Don't want to be that one who was turned away at the door, lol. :o

Edited by webecruzin2

Does anyone know if they'll turn me away if I'm wearing white or black jeans and a dressy top? I'm talking very neat pressed jeans worn with heels.

Do they inspect guests clothing that closely?

If so, I'll know not to wear them for dinner in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Don't want to be that one who was turned away at the door, lol. :o

I have never seen anyone turned away being dressed like that - indeed the white "trousers" I wore onboard last week could be construed as being jeans by some people.

Indeed on last weeks cruise, guests in the dining room were wearing blue jeans, I think as much as anything it depends on the top - a smart polo shirt or floaty top no one gives a second glance, a logoed t shirt/ one with a "message" and attention is attracted

I have never seen anyone turned away being dressed like that - indeed the white "trousers" I wore onboard last week could be construed as being jeans by some people.

Indeed on last weeks cruise, guests in the dining room were wearing blue jeans, I think as much as anything it depends on the top - a smart polo shirt or floaty top no one gives a second glance, a logoed t shirt/ one with a "message" and attention is attracted

Thanks uktog. I thought that would be the case. This is our first AZ cruise. We're Elite with X and Diamond on RC but just wanted to check with experienced past AZ guests to be sure.

Redtravel, Thanks for the head's up. I'll try not to "look badly".

However, my DH and I love getting dressed up on cruises and would never wear blue jeans and/or a t-shirt in the DR.

And never look badly and are never out of place. I laughed when I read that.

If you knew us you would know how funny that is.:p

Maybe because I asked the jeans question at all you might assume I don't know what smart casual means.

I'm sure you meant well and that you're not a cruise snob. :)

Edited by webecruzin2

Thanks uktog. I thought that would be the case. This is our first AZ cruise. We're Elite with X and Diamond on RC but just wanted to check with experienced past AZ guests to be sure.

Redtravel, Thanks for the head's up. I'll try not to "look badly".

However, my DH and I love getting dressed up on cruises and would never wear blue jeans and/or a t-shirt in the DR.

And never look badly and are never out of place. I laughed when I read that.

If you knew us you would know how funny that is.:p

Maybe because I asked the jeans question at all you might assume I don't know what smart casual means.

I'm sure you meant well and that you're not a cruise snob. :)

as i said the other day i have seem peopel turned away at the MDR for jeans.. i was told that was the reason. if peopel were in there not dressed then someone was not doing their job.

as i said the other day i have seem peopel turned away at the MDR for jeans.. i was told that was the reason. If peopel were in there not dressed then someone was not doing their job.

If people "weren't dressed" in the MDR then I'm certain someone wasn't doing their job.......unless it was on one of those Azamara "special charters" of course! :eek::D;):D

I have seen guests turned away from Discoveries. They are usually people who try to stretch the smart casual idea. Last cruise 3 guys in gym shorts tried to get in for dinner. They were politely told to change into long pants. Most people go along. Options are available for the guys wearing shorts.....buffet or room service. The trio were just trying to bend the limits. They were staying in a large suite. They changed.

Just off the Azamara Quest this morning. I found this particular cruise almost too casual. They finally put up a sign in the MDR about the dress code as it was not being followed. People dressed very nice in the specialty restaurants.

I felt over dressed in the MDR but just right in the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed the themed dinners in the buffet. We enjoyed the food and found it the same or better than the MDR plus it was very quiet and the service was excellent. We ate in the specialty restaurants 3 times and the MDR twice.

Just off the Azamara Quest this morning. I found this particular cruise almost too casual. They finally put up a sign in the MDR about the dress code as it was not being followed. People dressed very nice in the specialty restaurants.

I felt over dressed in the MDR but just right in the specialty restaurants. We enjoyed the themed dinners in the buffet. We enjoyed the food and found it the same or better than the MDR plus it was very quiet and the service was excellent. We ate in the specialty restaurants 3 times and the MDR twice.

Would love to hear you elaborate more on the "too casual". While we are not ones to like the more formal attire...,i.e., tuxedos and ball gowns, I still prefer the nice dressy casual appearance. I do hope we don't have to deal with the "Wall-Martian" dress code on future cruises. :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

I wore dresses and my husband wore long sleeve cotton shirts and dress slacks to the specialty restaurants. Didn't see many of those of the MDR but saying that we didn't go to the MDR very often. We found it too noisy. Liked the atmosphere in the specialty restaurants better. We were on the Quest British Open cruise and my husband and I felt under dressed so we stepped it up for the Caribbean cruise and guessed wrong again. Perhaps it was casual because it was the Caribbean...but attire in the MDR was like day and night between the two cruises. When you have to put up a sign about the proper attire then you know the guests had become too casual. The only difference between the buffet and the MDR was that some people wore shorts in the Windows café.

And although the jeans were in every way appropriate for the climate & conditions...that didn't make the apparel right in any way.

You DON'T WEAR JEANS ON SAFARI!

Maybe that will help you in your decision about whether to wear jeans or not.

And although the jeans were in every way appropriate for the climate & conditions...that didn't make the apparel right in any way.

You DON'T WEAR JEANS ON SAFARI!

Maybe that will help you in your decision about whether to wear jeans or not.

OMG! I Know! RIGHT!!!

And if the previous poster was wearing white jeans after Labor Day, she should be made to walk the plank!!!

For years I have read dress code threads on CC about many different lines and I am always puzzled about such concern about what others are wearing. I understand the idea of a "nice atmosphere," but I believe that ideas about appropriate dress are generational, regional, and cultural. In "my day" flip flops were for beach and pool use, yet my very fashionably-dressed son and his wife wear "dressy flip flops" almost everywhere. On the SoCal coast (where I live), I would be hard pressed to think of a restaurant including those with Michelin stars where dressy jeans (not an oxymoron) with an elegant top and heels or dressy boots would not be welcome. A 2011 Wall Street Journal article on restaurant dress codes stated, "At the iconic Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel—a second home to Hollywood's elite since 1912—the once strictly enforced dress code is now "no tank-tops after 10 p.m." There are still cultural and regional differences, however; what is expected in New York, London, or even parts of San Francisco is not our practice. Cowboy boots in Texas have their own roles in the clothing pantheon. While cruising, I will wear my white jeans or black corduroy jeans (that look like black velvet) with a lovely top that covers the tell-tale pockets and belt loops. Unless people look at the fabric with a microscope, I promise none will be the wiser, and although technically out of compliance I suppose, I think I will be better "put together" than those wearing capris and "dress flip flops," neither of which is specifically banned in the "dress code."

Edited by ptiprof

OMG! I Know! RIGHT!!!

And if the previous poster was wearing white jeans after Labor Day, she should be made to walk the plank!!!

Never understood that one, but get the plank out I wore white jeans several nights with sparkly tops last month. And I would defy anyone to know they were jeans not trousers!

For years I have read dress code threads on CC about many different lines and I am always puzzled about such concern about what others are wearing. I understand the idea of a "nice atmosphere," but I believe that ideas about appropriate dress are generational, regional, and cultural. In "my day" flip flops were for beach and pool use, yet my very fashionably-dressed son and his wife wear "dressy flip flops" almost everywhere. On the SoCal coast (where I live), I would be hard pressed to think of a restaurant including those with Michelin stars where dressy jeans (not an oxymoron) with an elegant top and heels or dressy boots would not be welcome. A 2011 Wall Street Journal article on restaurant dress codes stated, "At the iconic Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel—a second home to Hollywood's elite since 1912—the once strictly enforced dress code is now "no tank-tops after 10 p.m." There are still cultural and regional differences, however; what is expected in New York, London, or even parts of San Francisco is not our practice. Cowboy boots in Texas have their own roles in the clothing pantheon. While cruising, I will wear my white jeans or black corduroy jeans (that look like black velvet) with a lovely top that covers the tell-tale pockets and belt loops. Unless people look at the fabric with a microscope, I promise none will be the wiser, and although technically out of compliance I suppose, I think I will be better "put together" than those wearing capris and "dress flip flops," neither of which is specifically banned in the "dress code."

Perfectly said, thank you!

UKtog, Good for you, I bet you looked fabulous!

Nitemare, I'm sure you were kidding about white after Labor Day.

The thought that it is taboo went out the window years ago.

White is acceptable all year round especially in the Caribbean.

And looks very pretty around the holidays, as well.