HAL Wine Policy

taxmantoo

For anyone interested in HAL's new wine policy and its effect on future cruises, have a look at today's post on the HAL Blog on their website. They are promoting shore excursions to wineries :rolleyes: I have commented that it is ridiculous for them to expect people to go on wine-related shore excursions and then prohibit them from bringing back one bottle to the ship.

p.s. My post may not appear immediately. It has to be moderated... I think I know the eventual outcome of that process :rolleyes:

For anyone interested in HAL's new wine policy and its effect on future cruises, have a look at today's post on the HAL Blog on their website. They are promoting shore excursions to wineries :rolleyes: I have commented that it is ridiculous for them to expect people to go on wine-related shore excursions and then prohibit them from bringing back one bottle to the ship.

p.s. My post may not appear immediately. It has to be moderated... I think I know the eventual outcome of that process :rolleyes:

Taxmantoo, perhaps your comment on the HAL blog will make them stop, shake their collective heads and say "You know, perhaps he has a valid point. Maybe we should go back and revisit our decision .......... to visit wineries!"

I am NOT defending HAL, as I am a vocal opponent of their new wine policy. However, other lines like Celebrity and RCCL cruise to Europe and have tours to wineries. They have a similar policy, although Celebrity didn't have a size limit on the one bottle PP allowed. I'm sure HAL feels that they are not doing anything differently than other lines.

I am NOT defending HAL, as I am a vocal opponent of their new wine policy. However, other lines like Celebrity and RCCL cruise to Europe and have tours to wineries. They have a similar policy, although Celebrity didn't have a size limit on the one bottle PP allowed. I'm sure HAL feels that they are not doing anything differently than other lines.

When I checked out the other ships' policies for winery tours, those on winery tours were allowed to bring back a couple of bottles free of charge and the remainder were charged corkage.

Good for you OP for posting on the FB page

When I checked out the other ships' policies for winery tours, those on winery tours were allowed to bring back a couple of bottles free of charge and the remainder were charged corkage.

That's what I love about CC----lots of good information. I had no idea the other cruiselines did that! HAL better get with the program!!

Not on Facebook ... Directly on HAL's web site under the Blog. They still have not posted my comments; I guess they are still "Moderating" them :rolleyes:

p.s. I have posted on their FB page every chance I get and will continue to do so whenever the subject of wine comes up!

Edited by taxmantoo

Just as I suspected all along, they chose not to show my post on their blog.

Here is what I wrote:

"You have to be kidding. You want us to purchase all these expensive shore excursions from HAL and then you turn around and tell us we cannot even bring back ONE bottle of wine to the ship??? Time for you to revisit your wine policy while we revisit our cruise line of choice policy."

Will let the CEO know about this in a nice e-mail.

Here is what I wrote:

"You have to be kidding. You want us to purchase all these expensive shore excursions from HAL and then you turn around and tell us we cannot even bring back ONE bottle of wine to the ship??? Time for you to revisit your wine policy while we revisit our cruise line of choice policy."

Did they let you know that they were not going to post your comments? I also posted something. However, mine was not so strongly worded.

Terri

Did they let you know that they were not going to post your comments? I also posted something. However, mine was not so strongly worded.

Terri

No they did not. They simply deleted the entire post.

I have written to Mr. Kruse about this issue. I do not expect a reply as the decision appears to be final and irreversible.

No they did not. They simply deleted the entire post.

I have written to Mr. Kruse about this issue. I do not expect a reply as the decision appears to be final and irreversible.

Mine still shows that it is awaiting moderation.

This is what I wrote:

I fail to understand why HAL is promoting shore excursions to wineries in light of its new restrictive policy of only allowing one bottle on wine per person at embarkation. It is counterproductive to offer a trip to a winery and purchase a bottle of wine that will be confiscated when returning to the ship. I, for one, will no longer participate in these types of tours.

I think it would be good if they got more posts like this today. It might make them sit up and take notice. Even if they delete all of them.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I doubt if my comment will be published either but added my 2 cents: "We have in the past enjoyed excursions that included winery visits. I doubt that we will do them in the future as part of the fun is bringing back wine to enjoy with dinner as the cruise continues and Holland America has changed their wine policy to be so restrictive that this will no longer be allowed. Not a wise move on your part from my vantage point!"

I doubt if my comment will be published either but added my 2 cents: "We have in the past enjoyed excursions that included winery visits. I doubt that we will do them in the future as part of the fun is bringing back wine to enjoy with dinner as the cruise continues and Holland America has changed their wine policy to be so restrictive that this will no longer be allowed. Not a wise move on your part from my vantage point!"

Well, mine are still "awaiting moderation" since 10:46 am" today. I hope they get a lot more comments like this.

Terri

This reminds me of a wine situation that occurred on Celebrity several years ago when they wanted to change their policy to stop bringing wine on board.... a group of us created a "Coupon" that said something to the effect " we will not be ordering wine tonight in protest of the new wine policy this coupon represents the $25.00 in revenue that could have been generated if we were allowed to bring our own wine onboard.. please pass this to you supervisor, and stop by our table tomorrow evening to take our wine order"

This was effective campaign and I believe help change the minds of the powers that be..

This reminds me of a wine situation that occurred on Celebrity several years ago when they wanted to change their policy to stop bringing wine on board.... a group of us created a "Coupon" that said something to the effect " we will not be ordering wine tonight in protest of the new wine policy this coupon represents the $25.00 in revenue that could have been generated if we were allowed to bring our own wine onboard.. please pass this to you supervisor, and stop by our table tomorrow evening to take our wine order"

This was effective campaign and I believe help change the minds of the powers that be..

Sounds like a plan!

Terri

I don't go on winery tours but perhaps, instead of going to HAL, people should contact the wineries visited on these tours and inform them that they are unlikely to get many sales due to the policy of not allowing any wines bought from their winery to be consumed on board. Then they'll complain to HAL and just maybe that would generate some thought.

Here is what I wrote:

Thought I saw this post on their blog. Mine was a negative response and it was posted.

Everyone should post your thoughts on the Hal Blog if your not happy with the new wine policy.

Our comments have been posted in the blog.

The following is HAL's reply:

Thanks to all for the considered comments. As is known, earlier this year in an effort to standardize our policies with industry practices, Holland America Line adopted a new alcoholic beverage policy effective on sailings departing on or after Jan. 31, 2014 (full policy details are posted on the HAL website at http://www.hollandamerica.com under the “For Booked Guests tab and Shipboard Life: Onboard Policies”). Wines or alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call, on a shore excursion for example, or in our onboard shops will be held for safekeeping and returned to the guests on the last night of the cruise. Additionally, most wineries will happily ship purchases home for customers. We thank everyone for your feedback and invite you to always share your comments with us. In addition to commenting here you may also do so by emailing our Guest Relations team at guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. We appreciate hearing from you on this topic and hope you enjoyed learning more about European wines. — Holland America Blog Editorial Team

And how much will the wineries charge to ship it to our homes???

Thought I saw this post on their blog. Mine was a negative response and it was posted.

Everyone should post your thoughts on the Hal Blog if your not happy with the new wine policy.

Can anyone post a link, because I've gone to the HAL blog and can't find these posts. Thanks.

Our comments have been posted in the blog.

The following is HAL's reply:

And how much will the wineries charge to ship it to our homes???

In Massachusetts (and some other states), only businesses can have wine/liquor shipped to them or ship it out of state. We would not be able to receive any wine a winerie might be willing to send.

Here's the link, I hope: http://www.hollandamericablog.com/

Then go to Dec. 5 A World of European Wines then scroll down to the comments.

Terri

Beat me to it thanks. I really believe that if we stated we would be willing to pay a corkage fee for a couple of bottles is the only way the new policy will be changed. Obviously, we are not going to pay postal fees for shipping wines home from foreign lands.

Beat me to it thanks. I really believe that if we stated we would be willing to pay a corkage fee for a couple of bottles is the only way the new policy will be changed. Obviously, we are not going to pay postal fees for shipping wines home from foreign lands.

I posted, and added that I would be willing to pay corkage.