Pros / Cons

kijjy

I've only ever sailed Royal Caribbean. Very strongly considering sailing Carnival next spring/early summer.

Are there any major differences? Why do you choose one over the other? Any pros/cons that I need to be made aware of?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've only ever sailed Royal Caribbean. Very strongly considering sailing Carnival next spring/early summer.

Are there any major differences? Why do you choose one over the other? Any pros/cons that I need to be made aware of?

Have you considered NCL?

Recently, carnival has been having mechanical issues so I don't recommend using them.

This past year, multiple ships had trouble at see and it can be a really dangerous situation.

My suggestions: Stick to what you know and love :)

And research b4 going anywhere.

Have fun!

We have done both 3 Carnival and 2 RCCL.

They are very similar. Carnival is much cheaper and in my opinion RCCL is not worth the extra $. but maybe for you it would be worth the extra$.

My thoughts, (and every experience is different).

RCCL service is not as good, the staff spends more time asking for good reviews than anything. But it is fine on both.

Food is overall the same, for the most part. Good and Bad with both.

Shows are the same, pretty lame on both, thats gonna depend on the ship etc. The ice show on RCCL was amazing last time. Comedy on Carnival was funny at times, got worse as the week went on. We were on the Victory 2 years apart, SAME shows, same set.

RCCL has the Royal Promanade which greatly increases the ship experience. Carnivals ships are not set up for 'traffic' and it's hard to get around.

Carnival has a better past guest party, RCCL gives you a party free if you have a roll call that;s big enough.

So, about the same, for me, but I would rather have the extra money to have fun in ports, that's just me. :)

Either way you will have fun!

Recently, carnival has been having mechanical issues so I don't recommend using them.

This past year, multiple ships had trouble at see and it can be a really dangerous situation.

My suggestions: Stick to what you know and love :)

Have fun!

First of all Carnival IS addressing the Mechanical/Electrical Issues. On my last Cruise we saw the Carnival ship in front of us at the dock with a VERY LARGE Auxilliary Generator secured behind their funnel. ( an ounce of caution & prevention) Issues Can and have happened on other ships

Secondly If you have kids then Carnival is great for you with their Camp Carnival for the kiddies and Club O2 for the older ones. IF you plan on going over Spring Break you're setting yourself up for lots of kids and possibly college age kids in a Spring Break Party mode (enough said). It WILL be crowded and you're better off on RCCK or NCL during those times of the year. I would suggest one of Carnivals ships that has all of the carnival 2.0 upgrades, Alchemy Bar, Serenity Deck, Guys Burger Joint, Specialty "Captains table Restaurant"

Remember The cruising experience is what you make of it and what YOU prefer in a cruising style. Carnival is called a Funship for good reason. But "fun" is to be had on most lines if you look or it. I ALSO suggest you get involved in a specific cruise Roll Call and get to know new people from across the USA Canada and beyond. You might find a group of friends for life that you continue to cruise with year after year. I have and it's awesome!

Ken Martin (becominga " Gold " VIFP Member on Carnival in January

One of my personal complaints is you watch a commercial for any cruise line and you see the zip line, the rock wall, the flowrider. Then you book the cruise, get onboard and find out YOUR ship does not have all the perks.

If you know what you are getting into, there is no difference between RCL and Carnival. Same basic goods and bads in m opinion.

DO NOT try and compare RCL Oasis to an old beat up Carnival ship, or to compare the Carnival Breeze with a 20 year old RCL ship. They do not compare!!!

They have not, why have you written this exact same thing in your only 2 posts on this board?

Please follow your own advice and research b4 going anywhere.

The last situation on Carnival was over a year ago and the media blew it totally out of proportion. As far as mechanical issues, the biggest one that happened recently was Celebrities Millie. Stuck in Alaska in the rain. At least Carnival ships got stuck someplace warm. :D

OP, you will like Carnival(or whatever ship you decide on) just fine. The difference lies in which ships you have been on and what you are looking at.

I have sailed both, comparable size ships.

I HATED Carnival. the decor was to me, tacky and overdone. the entertainment was lowbrow( hairy chest contests, etc) and the shows were mediocre at best.

the service and food was comparable to Royal in most respects, as was their attention to cleanliness. In fairness I must also point out that we do not find the stage shows on Royal to be any better( here Disney blows the competition away but I do want to point out we have not done the larger ships at all with the ice show and the water show)

I am going to be very UN PC here and stereotype as well.. but overall we found the passenger mix on Carnival to be.. more Wal mart than Macy's. lower to middle income families trying to get the cheapest vacation without all the tiny little touches that just elevates it that much more. Royal seems to attract middle to higher income families and couples with more discretionary income and who do not mind paying a little more for a craft beer as opposed to a bucket of Bud.

we seldom found anyone on C that we could 'relate' to. but on R we always seem to find several couples right away.

I have only been on the Holiday (twice) with Carnival. It's an old ship, somewhat small.

I give the edge to Royal, and in a tossup situation would always choose them. The ships I have been on have more to offer and the food was better and the Dining Room didn't seem as cramped.

But I'm sure there are larger, nicer, newer ships in the Carnival fleet.

I've only had one cruise experience and that was on the Carnival Triumph back in late August early September but I have to disagree with any disparagement to the clientele onboard. The best part of the cruise, in my opinion, was the other passengers. Like most any other land based shop/ restaurant/ vacation there was a broad mix of people. Of course, I'm fine with Walmart and don't have issues with gaudy decor (we go to Vegas often!). For me, I base my opinions of others on how they treat me and others around them. In my one experience the vast majority of passengers were pleasant, outgoing and courteous. :)

I have sailed both, comparable size ships.

I HATED Carnival. the decor was to me, tacky and overdone. the entertainment was lowbrow( hairy chest contests, etc) and the shows were mediocre at best.

the service and food was comparable to Royal in most respects, as was their attention to cleanliness. In fairness I must also point out that we do not find the stage shows on Royal to be any better( here Disney blows the competition away but I do want to point out we have not done the larger ships at all with the ice show and the water show)

I am going to be very UN PC here and stereotype as well.. but overall we found the passenger mix on Carnival to be.. more Wal mart than Macy's. lower to middle income families trying to get the cheapest vacation without all the tiny little touches that just elevates it that much more. Royal seems to attract middle to higher income families and couples with more discretionary income and who do not mind paying a little more for a craft beer as opposed to a bucket of Bud.

we seldom found anyone on C that we could 'relate' to. but on R we always seem to find several couples right away.

I must give you credit for owning that your post was UN PC with sterotype which is another word for ignorant. I don't think if you can relate to many on RCL, its a place many people would want to be regardless of income. The expression Home Sweet Home exisits for a reason. BTW, Macy's is not all that, if you shop online, so why not name drop Nordstroms? You do shop there don't you, with all middle to upper level discretionary income:D?

OP- I have sailed RCL cheaper than Carnival and it's a great line for families with young kids. I am moving away from Carnival (4x), possible RCL, (8x) because the products no longer suits my needs. I prefered RCL because of the incredible design of the ship and the staff which is recruited mostly in the Caribbean. I find them to be more friendly and outgoing than cordial.

Edited by Blk_Amish

My first cruise was on the Carnival Pride and I had a lovely time on it. Then I sailed on RCI's Mariner of the Seas and I was RCI hooked like a fish. I love that there is so much more to do onboard RCI's ships (Voyager class and larger) than on Carnival ships. I found the food to be about the same, the staff on both were RCI and Carnival were great and the shows are the same--TOO LOUD!!! ;):D

I would say go ahead and try Carnival. Just make sure you thoroughly research the ships in comparison to RCI to make sure that the Carnival ship you choose has the things you like to do on RCI (obviously if you're into ice skating at sea you're out of luck on Carnival, but if you just like to lounge around the pool all day, then Carnival should be fine). If you find a Carnival cruise with the itinerary and price you like then book it. You can always come back to RCI and we won't hold it against you (although we might say "I told you so" :p)!

Unless you really try other cruise lines yourself you will never really know which ones you prefer . Cruise reviews here may drive you nuts.

All ships on each cruise line do not offer the same experiences.

If you are fortunate enough to cruise often , you may appreciate the variety of cruise experiences on each ship by not sticking to a single cruise line.

Carnival is less money - so if budget is an issue - then go with Carnival.

I was on the Pride twice - tacky decor, but a relaxing fun vacation.

I was on the Mariner and Explorer of the Seas (sisters ships on Royal).

There are more public spaces and it is easier to get around on the Royal ships. All Royal ships have the rock climbing. The Voyager, Freedom and Oasis classes have ice skating. Freedom and Oasis both have activities that no other Royal ships have.

I would most likely choose Royal over Carnival in most circumstances. That said, I would also go on a Carnival ship for the right itinerary and price.

You will have a good time no matter which one you choose.

I'm of the same attitude as MCC retired. I said I would never comment on another line if I haven't tried it. When the opportunity came, we did try Carnival with a group of friend. Carnival Splendor to be exact.

There were some good things about the cruise - the dining room food was very good. Our server and maitre 'd were outstanding. The entertainment was OK and Ron Pass in the piano bar was terrific!!! But that's about where our positive experience ended.

The ship itself reminded me of Circus Circus in Las Vegas (and we sailed her the first year she was out). Try to imagine large 12" diameter circles with pink and grey zebra strips all over the elevators, in the lobby. Then there were the large "eggs" that hung from the ceiling in the dining room. Some yolks were blue; others were green. I realize decor, like food, is subjective but this was truly the most bizarre (and not in a good way) ship we've been on. Heavy smoking in the piano bar kept us out except for the one night they made it non-smoking so the rest of us could enjoy Mr. Pass.

The real challenge came when there was the "Swine Flu" outbreak in Mexico and it was determined (we were already in the bay near the dock in Cabo) that we would not be going to Mexico for safety reason. It was announced that we would instead turn around and sail north to San Francisco (we left from Long Beach, CA). I was perfectly fine with that. However, there was a large revolt in the lobby (one person in our group got it on tape...I missed it). More than 500 people were yelling and screaming. As things escalated, the decision was made to return to Long Beach and allow passengers to disembark. Instead of getting to San Francisco in the morning, we lost nearly the entire day by dropping people off. Arrived at 3:00 PM to 45 and rain. Now everyone was unhappy.

They tried to appease people by giving everyone 50% off a future cruise. Only it could only be used by the two passengers on this sailing (I wanted to take my mom using the certificate and it wasn't allowed) and it could only be used on a 7-day cruise. We never used it.

While I understand things can happen on any ship with any cruise line, we knew after this sailing that Carnival isn't for us. From the decor to the over-reaction of people when Carnival was trying to do something to keep their passengers safe, we don't have a design to sail with them again. We have many friends that do an enjoy it.

We much prefer Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. I like all of Royal's ships - even the older ones.

Good luck with your decision. I'm glad we gave Carnival a try.