Upgrade - What would you do

sandybeaches44

Just received a notice that I am being moved from Cabin E601 on the Ruby Princess (obstructed view) to cabin A223 Aloha Balcony. Cruise departs Saturday, December 14.

Has anyone stayed there. Cabin is located by the elevator. Would noise be an issue.

Cabin is Forward. I am concerned about motion sickness. It would be the first balcony for us.

Edited by sandybeaches44

Just received a notice that I am being moved from Cabin E601 on the Ruby Princess (obstructed view) to cabin A223 Aloha Balcony. Cruise departs Saturday, December 14.

Has anyone stayed there. Cabin is located by the elevator. Would noise be an issue. Cabin is forward of the elevator. Will not have any elevator noise there. Actually would have no elevator noise if closer to the elevator.

Cabin is Forward. I am concerned about motion sickness. It would be the first balcony for us.

A great upgrade.

We've stayed by elevators many times and they haven't been a problem. Yes, now and then you might hear something from people waiting for one to show, but the cabin doors do a great job blocking sound.

That said, you're biggest problem is it is your first balcony. Once you've had a balcony, you'll never want to go back.

As far as motion sickness goes, yes, it is forward and higher so you'll feel some amplification of the ship's motion although probably not so much to make a big difference. You'll have to consider just how sensitive you are (past experience or just a concern?). We've found the wrist pressure bands really do help in rough seas.

I think it is a great upgrade. I stayed in cabin Aloha 209 on the Sapphire and didn't have issues with motion. It is a little ways back from the very front so that should help. On my last cruise we stayed in a cabin very close to the elevators and never heard anything.

I would definitely take the balcony!:):):)

In all of my cruises the only time I've ever been seasick was when we had a very forward cabin on an Alaskan cruise on the Diamond. We always book from the 500's to aft after that cruise, and I've never had a problem even in high rough seas in the N. Atlantic.

If you get motion sickness do not take a forward cabin. If you're ok with that then take the upgrade.

I agree. You mentioned you're worried about motion sickness. Have you had it before? Experienced it on a ship? You will definitely get more movement being that high up and forward. You'll get buffeted by the wind more than on a lower deck midship and you'll get more pitching motion too. How significant depends on the weather conditions of your cruise. It may be slightly noticeable to really noticeable.

If you think you'll be okay, take a Bonine before leaving the embarkation port and take the upgrade. It's a good one (for anyone that doesn't get motion sickness).

Also, there's no noise from the elevators at all. You might get noisy passengers coming to/from the elevators but the lifts themselves are very quiet.

Interesting that upgrades are occurring on this Dec. 14th cruise. We got one today too and also a big one. Since we always book near the forward elevators we are extremely happy to be going from Emerald obstructed to Caribe balcony; catagory BA (or whatever they're calling it now).

Interesting that upgrades are occurring on this Dec. 14th cruise. We got one today too and also a big one. Since we always book near the forward elevators we are extremely happy to be going from Emerald obstructed to Caribe balcony; catagory BA (or whatever they're calling it now).

That is an awesome upgrade, Pia! Enjoy!

Congrats! Nice upgrade. :)

Wow I hope we get an upgrade on the 12/22 ruby. We are in an oceanview cabin,would love a balcony. How soon in advance do they notify you. I told as we are in a quad cabin there is a high chance for an upgrade for someone with small children who would need that that's what my TA told Mel fingers crossed

Has anyone stayed there. Cabin is located by the elevator. Would noise be an issue.

I'd say it's a great upgrade. It is forward and higher so there might be more noticeable motion. But as others have said it's your first balcony and you will be hooked.....:););)

Bob

Wow I hope we get an upgrade on the 12/22 ruby. We are in an oceanview cabin,would love a balcony. How soon in advance do they notify you. I told as we are in a quad cabin there is a high chance for an upgrade for someone with small children who would need that that's what my TA told Mel fingers crossed

The chances of getting a quad upgrade are close to zero. Who would tell you your chances are better?

The chances of getting a quad upgrade are close to zero. Who would tell you your chances are better?

I took it as they were assigned a quad but didn't need it, so the logic is that Princess might move them up to make the quad available for someone who did. While this sounds logical, we were "upgraded" on our last cruise into a quad. I guess it would depend on the demand for quads on a particular sailing.

Edited by Musky Ike

I took it as they were assigned a quad but didn't need it, so the logic is that Princess might move them up to make the quad available for someone who did. While this sounds logical, we were "upgraded" on our last cruise into a quad. I guess it would depend on the demand for quads on a particular sailing.

This is a Christmas cruise with a zillion and a half kids on board. And this person has two young children. They NEED the quad. I am sure quads were totally in demand on this one.