Why do I keep seeing Royal Caribbean called a "budget" or "value" cruise line?

mill4023

Ok, so I've only been on two cruises (2011 and 2013), but I did a lot of planning and research for those trips and I've also kept my eye on prices on a regular basis.

Everywhere I look and listen (podcasts), I keep hearing people talk about Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean as the "value" lines, while Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America are referred to as being more upscale lines and more expensive.

I would agree for Carnival and NCL. Every Kayak search I've done shows them both to be the least expensive on average. But I don't get RCI being included in that. Every time I've looked, I can't find anything on RCI that isn't substantially more expensive than Carnival and NCL. Most of the time, it seems that RCI is the same price or often more expensive than Princess and Celebrity.

Am I missing something?

Mass Market may be a better term for RCI,CCL & NCL .

Although RCI may seem more pricy at times , believe me after Final Payment date all bets are off. Have seen better promos on "soft" sailing dates ,at times on RCI than the others closer in.

I've noticed that the other CL's may have better early booking rates than RCI .

Edited by MCC retired

I was just looking at prices for a 7 night Caribbean in February, only including those sailing out of US ports (no San Juan).

These were the lowest prices I saw:

Interior/Balcony

Carnival - 379/699

NCL - 449/599

Princess - 479/729

Holland America - 599/749

RCI - 579/1049

Celebrity - 799/1009

When I looked at fall and winter cruises in the past, I've found the same pattern.

But I just did another search looking at June and for that time period, the prices for RCI are much closer to Carnival and NCL.

So maybe it's just that RCI doesn't lower their rates as much as some of the others during the off peak times. I guess that is when I was normally looking and I've always looked at balcony prices, not inside.

Compared to those cruiselines listed, I'd say RCCL is "moderate". But add in Oceania, Azamara, Seabourn, etc, etc, etc, and it's quite the budget or value cruiseline.

Sure, you've got the luxury lines, but in the context I'm talking about, people are talking about mass market lines, with Carnival, Royal, and NCL in the value category and Princess, Celebrity, and Holland in the "upscale" category.

But like I found when doing a search for June, I guess it's not always a lot more than Carnival and NCL. It just happens to be that way for the specific searches I have done, which are generally for 7 night Caribbean itineraries out of Florida ports in off-season times like the fall/winter.

When we just booked our upcoming Feb cruise CCL and RCL were within 30.00 of each other in price. We chose carnival again, maybe next time we'll try RC or NCL. I didn't like the "shopping mall" promenade if I remember correctly on RC or the "more Mature' passengers, and we're mature...lol. Hate shopping.

When we just booked our upcoming Feb cruise CCL and RCL were within 30.00 of each other in price. We chose carnival again, maybe next time we'll try RC or NCL. I didn't like the "shopping mall" promenade if I remember correctly on RC or the "more Mature' passengers, and we're mature...lol. Hate shopping.

Can I ask what cruise you are doing?

It seems that Carnival is still feeling the effects of the problems they have had in the last couple of years, and prices have been lowered to try to bring people back. I read somewhere last month that Carnival bookings are down about 15% from two years ago before their recent well publicized problems on Carnival Triumph, Carnival Dream and Carnival Legend, as well as the backlash from sister line Costa's problems with Concordia. With the economy starting to get better, they should be seeing better booking rates today than two years ago instead of a 15% drop. The current prices reflect discounting to overcome a tarnished reputation that the other lines don't have to deal with. My experience with booking future cruises on Celebrity and Princess indicate their prices are going up, not down, while Carnival's are still down.

Here is a recent article from September that discusses some of the challenges Carnival is facing. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/after-recent-cruise-disasters-carnival-tries-to-right-the-ship/

And another one from March: http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3678845-74/carnival-cruise-ships#axzz2nD1DDuWn

Edited by boogs

It seems that Carnival is still feeling the effects of the problems they have had in the last couple of years, and prices have been lowered to try to bring people back. I read somewhere last month that Carnival bookings are down about 15% from two years ago before their recent well publicized problems on Carnival Triumph, Carnival Dream and Carnival Legend, as well as the backlash from sister line Costa's problems with Concordia. With the economy starting to get better, they should be seeing better booking rates today than two years ago instead of a 15% drop. The current prices reflect discounting to overcome a tarnished reputation that the other lines don't have to deal with. My experience with booking future cruises on Celebrity and Princess indicate their prices are going up, not down, while Carnival's are still down.

Here is a recent article from September that discusses some of the challenges Carnival is facing. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/after-recent-cruise-disasters-carnival-tries-to-right-the-ship/

And another one from March: http://triblive.com/usworld/nation/3678845-74/carnival-cruise-ships#axzz2nD1DDuWn

Thanks for sharing..............interesting:)

There is not really more shops in the Promenade then on other ships, what takes up space is the Martini bar, Vintages wine bar, the Irish pub, Ben and Jerrys ice cream, and the Promenade Café, as well as a place for a string quartet to play.. We love the Promenade. happy cruising.

"Luxury", "up-scale" and "value" are all subjective. There's more difference between ship classes than between cruise lines at the mass-market level, and individual cruises can have wildly different vibes. Ignore anything from cruise line marketing, it's just advertising hype. Even CC reviews can be suspect unless you know how the biases of the reviewers compare to you- I agree that "value" and "cheap" are not the same, but I know people who do equate the two.

Dancer Bob is so correct. You don't know if the review only sails with one line because they are in the "elite" status for that cruiseline or if they are owner suites types. I always look at the type of cabin a review reported staying in. Then, there are the cheerleaders for cruiselines. I recently tried HAL because it was described as more upscale. It surely was not (we had a balcony) and I think the hype sort of set me up to expect more. IMHO, I think RCL is perhaps at the top of the mass market pack, but then that all depends on the sailing. A European cruise is a very different experience than a 3 night Bahamas cruise! Cruise experiences are so apples and oranges.

I'm not so sure the reviews OP is referring to is strictly money focused. I think atmosphere on the ship also enters into the mix.

I think of Carnival as budget with lots of activities for the young party minded folks. NCL would be next up the ladder affordable but still for the younger minded crowd that wants flexibility to do what they want when they want. RCI would be next still in the affordable category but more family oriented with still lots of activities. Princess, HAL and Celebrity are a little more upscale in formal night, decor and older passengers no longer interested or able to participate in skating, rock wall climbing or surf riding.

For the destinations I've wanted to cruise to (New England/Canada, Med, Baltics, Alaska, etc) I've always found Carnival, NCL and RCI to be less for a balcony cabin than Princess, HAL and Celebrity. Not a cheerleader here, but I have sailed all 6 lines. JMHO!

Many travel websites and specifically websites that rate cruises have their own categories - which are based not only on price (as agabbymama said) but on a while host of criteria.

If you go to these sites and read about their categories FIRST you'll see what they factor into the categories.

Then other people pick up the categories but don't have the descriptions.

One site has these categories with descriptions - but a lot of other sites vary this slightly, as well as the names for each category.

Popular-oriented cruise lines

These cruise lines tend to attract a high volume of First-time cruisers who are interested in trying something different. The low advertised cruise fare, the destination of the ships, and the cruise line name identification are the primary decision-making factors to go on a cruise. These ships sail with the most diverse clientele - singles, couples, young families, honeymooners, and grandparents who are young at heart.

The activities on popular-oriented cruise lines are always nonstop, for adults as well as the children's activities. Due to the young and active cruisers onboard, the activities are active participation type. They center around the swimming pool, and open decks on the ship.

Moderate cruise lines

Similar to Popular-oriented cruise lines, these cruises attract many First-time cruisers for the same reasons, but these First-timers tend to select the ship based on recommendations from relatives, and friends. You will find an abundance of singles, couples, families, honeymooners, and some retirees. The repeat cruisers tend to cruise every 2-3 years, they are active, and since they have experienced the on board ambiance of a cruise, they want a few more 'onboard amenities' such as a more sophisticated atmosphere, and more activities.

Deluxe cruise lines

This is primarily a couples-oriented cruise market. Compared to Popular and Moderate categories, where the cruisers tend to be young families, and singles, their are far fewer singles, and families on these sailings. I sailed on a Moderate cruise line in which their were 197 children on board, and during the same period of time, their were 7 children sailing on a Deluxe cruise line.

The activities on Deluxe cruise lines includes the 'active participation' activities commonly found on Popular and Moderate cruiselines, and the 'intellectual' activities commonly found on Luxury cruise lines. An equal balance between 'participation' activities, and 'being entertained' is more prevalent on Deluxe cruises than Popular & Moderate cruises.

In addition to sailing in the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, and Hawaii, Deluxe cruise lines tend to cruise to worldwide destinations such as South America, Asia, Mediterranean, South Pacific, and sometimes, Africa. These cruisers want to explore the world!

Also, when you compare prices "all in" that is from leaving your front door to returning to your front door - some of the "luxury" lines are cheaper because more is included in the price. If you drink expensive alcohol, go on higher priced excursions, fly business or first class, get the more expensive cabins - and these are included in the price, a cruise on a luxury line can cost the same as a cruise with similar bells and whistles on a moderate or budget line.

The lower priced lines market to a broader audience by having an "a la carte" menu where you only pay for what you want, thus allowing people to buy in for a much lower cost.

Dancer Bob is so correct. You don't know if the review only sails with one line because they are in the "elite" status for that cruiseline or if they are owner suites types. I always look at the type of cabin a review reported staying in. Then, there are the cheerleaders for cruiselines. I recently tried HAL because it was described as more upscale. It surely was not (we had a balcony) and I think the hype sort of set me up to expect more. IMHO, I think RCL is perhaps at the top of the mass market pack, but then that all depends on the sailing. A European cruise is a very different experience than a 3 night Bahamas cruise! Cruise experiences are so apples and oranges.

Ditto, We love RCL... BTW we were also on the Mariner November TA. from Rome. happy cruising.