First cruise - what to pack?

peaceful85

I'm taking part in my first cruise - a week in the Caribbean during Christmas holidays. I'm getting a bit nervous on what to pack. I want to travel lightly, yet have all the necessities.

First, a question about drinking water - do I need to buy bottled water (the cruise operator is Royal Caribbean)? Can I do that at the port before the ship departs?

Can I pack some snacks in my suitcase, e.g. peanuts, granola bars etc., mainly for shore excursions? Or are those forbidden for some reason (do they check your luggage)?

Would it be a good idea to print out maps of the islands the ship visits?

Those are just a few questions that came to my mind. Feel free to give any other advice! :)

The ship's water is fine...after all, the food, drink and ice on the ship is made with ship's water. No need to pay for water.

Yes, if you need those snacks, you may bring pre-packaged foods ashore. There will be food for sale at your ports, tho!

A guidebook is what you really want...it will have maps, and LOTS of info on where you're going! So many things are easy to do on your own if you have info!!! Get a guidebook!

Pack summery clothes....daytime is mainly swimsuits/shorts. Very casual! You will want long pants/collared shirts (men) for dinner. Women will be wearing capris/sundress/skirt/slacks....at dinnertime.

You will have 2 "formal" nights, so a suit/cocktail dress would be appropriate...some will dress more formally, some less....your call!

Edited by cb at sea

Do they also offer bottled water at all the ports and is it expensive? I'm asking because I normally drink a lot of water (at least a gallon per day), and if it gets hot during the day while touring the islands, I will have to carry a lot of water in my back bag :) What would be the best way to deal with this situation?

Edited by peaceful85

An additional question: I have prepaid gratuities for the cruise. How does this work exactly? Do I still need to tip some personnel?

Your prepaid gratuities will cover your room steward, dining room server, asst server, and (I believe) your maître de. Additional tips may be needed for porters (at the terminal), room service tips, excursion operator tips if you take any.

I just want to add a couple of comments.

We like to take bottled water with us off the ship. It's important to stay hydrated.

If you think you will be hungry than by all means bring some snacks with you for the ports and just bring them from home. Why waste time in port trying to find something.

And one way the other have a map. The lines we sail on provide one and if we think we need something better we make up a map or find one on the internet.

Keith

Keith, your posts are very helpful and you seem to have a lot of experience.

Now, a can of worms..if you don't recommend bringing water aboard ( we do not), how do you take bottled water off the ship?

I am being very serious and not trying to be rude. We each had a partial bottle brought from our trip to Port and refilled in our stateroom, but I was totally grossed out at methods used in the public dining areas to refill personal, store-bought , previously used water bottles.

Your suggestions are appreciated. I think the OP might want to know that those bottles of water left in the stateroom are not free. :)

I'm taking part in my first cruise - a week in the Caribbean during Christmas holidays. I'm getting a bit nervous on what to pack. I want to travel lightly, yet have all the necessities.

First, a question about drinking water - do I need to buy bottled water (the cruise operator is Royal Caribbean)? Can I do that at the port before the ship departs?

Yes, you can, but not needed - you can refill your water bottle(s) for free in the buffet, or some cruisers say they just get water from the faucet in the cabin. You can take water with you on shore.

Can I pack some snacks in my suitcase, e.g. peanuts, granola bars etc., mainly for shore excursions? Or are those forbidden for some reason (do they check your luggage)? - packaged food is allowed in all ports. In some ports they have dogs to sniff if you took fresh fruit off the ship, this is not allowed.

Would it be a good idea to print out maps of the islands the ship visits? We always do some research, print maps, and mark off places to visit.

Those are just a few questions that came to my mind. Feel free to give any other advice! :)

Bring a highlighter for daily schedules that will be left nightly in your cabin so you can highlight your favorite activities.

Can I pack some snacks in my suitcase, e.g. peanuts, granola bars etc., mainly for shore excursions? Or are those forbidden for some reason (do they check your luggage)?

Extension cord

Best to pack clothes and supplies in your suitcases. The snacks might add unnecessary weight. If you have time, and can stop by a CVS, targets or any other discount store, buy your toiletries and snacks after you land-then pack them. Some people also wear their suit jackets on the plane and their heaviest shoes.

If you bring a water bottle and do not want to purchase water on board, fill it on board before you leave the ship. It is safe to drink the ships water. You can purchase additional water at each port if you require additional.

At each port, the ship will provide you with maps. Typically they are limited to shopping and perhaps major sightseeing. If you can purchase a Fodors or similar book of Caribbean ports (or wherever you are sailing}, they are very helpful and contain maps and other very useful information.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

You can buy bottled water as you leave the ship at each port, but you can save yourself some money if you bring a refillable water bottle and fill it from the tap in your bathroom, or in the cafeteria. Of course, you will want to avoid putting the mouth of the bottle in contact with any water spout.

Per Royals rules about water:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guest maddycat

We sail on RCI. We drive to the port and always bring bottled water with us. Never a problem. Some people buy a case and put a luggage tag on the outside of the case. They give it to the porter at the pier along with their luggage and it is delivered to thier cabin. We don't drink a case even on a 12 night cruise so we pack a dozen bottles in a cardboard box, put a luggage tag on the box and give it to the porter. We use it for taking meds in the cabin and for drinking in port.

You might like to read and post on the CC RCI board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Thank you for the replies all!

So the ship's water is drinkable, even in large quantities? I saw on the RC website that it is possible to buy a pack of bottled water in advance. Does anyone know why they are offering this? Would it be something to consider, especially if I need to take a few bottles with me for the shore excursions? Or are bottles bought at the ports less expensive?

About prepaid gratuities, how do I know who I am supposed to tip and whose tip has already been included?

If I go tour an island on my own, can I enter the ship again at any time? For example, I thought about leaving the ship early in the morning, then coming back for a free lunch (good idea?), and then go back to do some more sight seeing?

Peaceful 85, you have asked some great and legit questions. I wish we had internet for our first cruise. All I knew was in my cruise docs (I miss those)

We just had our first cruise with pre-paid gratuities and I prefer the old method, but we chose MTD and it was not an option.

There are many experienced cruisers on these Boards and you will receive a wealth of info. Pick and choose what you want.

A previous poster mentioned a wrap or jacket. I nearly froze during one of the shows, so bad that I turned the heat on when we returned to the stateroom. It doesn't matter if it matches your attire. I have learned that you will see all kinds of attire. It is your vacation and not cheap, be yourself, meet new friends, be aware of your surroundings and have a blast!

Guest maddycat
Thank you for the replies all!

So the ship's water is drinkable, even in large quantities? I saw on the RC website that it is possible to buy a pack of bottled water in advance. Does anyone know why they are offering this? Would it be something to consider, especially if I need to take a few bottles with me for the shore excursions? Or are bottles bought at the ports less expensive? The bottled water sold on board is Evian in 1 ltr. bottles. Water is less expensive in most ports.

About prepaid gratuities, how do I know who I am supposed to tip and whose tip has already been included? The prepaid gratuities cover you cabin attendant and dining room wait staff. If you order room service you should tip who ever delivers your food. All drinks that are purchased will include a 15% service charge so there is no need to tip on top of that.

If I go tour an island on my own, can I enter the ship again at any time? For example, I thought about leaving the ship early in the morning, then coming back for a free lunch (good idea?), and then go back to do some more sight seeing?[/quoteYes.

Edited by maddycat

A couple more questions about tipping, I'd really appreciate your help :)

Is the cabin cleaned every day? In that case, should I leave a few dollars as a tip when I leave the room in the morning?

About the prepaid gratuities on RC, I read somewhere that you get coupons or something, and on the last night of the cruise, you are supposed to place them in envelopes? Is this true and how does the system work exactly?

Is the cabin cleaned every day? In that case, should I leave a few dollars as a tip when I leave the room in the morning?

About the prepaid gratuities on RC, I read somewhere that you get coupons or something, and on the last night of the cruise, you are supposed to place them in envelopes? Is this true and how does the system work exactly?

One of the people who receive tips out of the pre-paid gratuities would be your room steward. At the end of the cruise, if you feel anyone has done a better job than you were expecting, you can add cash to the envelope with the tip coupon. You will typically hand out the envelopes on the last night.

Guest maddycat

Your pre paid gratuities include the cabin attendant. RCI no longer gives out vouchers for passengers to hand out on the last night. Everyone who is included in the pre paid gratuities (cabin attendant and dining room wait staff) will have been notified that you have already paid their tips.

Some envelopes will be left in the cabin at the end of the cruise. You can use them to give extra tips to those who you felt gave you extra special service. Or you can ignore the envelopes. Extra tips are not expected.

Thank you!

Still a couple more:

At dinner, is wine/other alcohol included? I'm not much of a drinker, but it would be nice to have a glass of wine in the evening to relax.

Is it possible to buy something from the shore during the day (say a bottle of beer or wine) put it in your carry-on bag and take it back to the ship? Or do they check all carry-on bags at the port?