I got all the way to the port and realized I left my________.

prettybrowneyes

Wife did the same thing in New Orleans last year. The bra that she wore was the only one that she had for a seven night cruise. I got some really worried looks while standing in the women's underwear aisle at K -Mart for two hours.:rolleyes:

Sounds good, but when your dealing with a hard headed govt. employee that doesn't know their own rules and the ship is about to sail what else can you do.

I was actually responding to candycaramel's post about traveling to Mexico requiring a passport/passport card.

I get it that there are agents that really have no clue (new on the job, the need to be in control, etc). One question I have though, are you sure it was the government agents that were denying you? I know that cruiselines themselves can have stricter requirements than the government sometimes.

So, a TA might not be aware that the cruiseline will say "no" even if the law says "yes". Although, I would think they should be, after all, that's their job.

I was actually responding to candycaramel's post about traveling to Mexico requiring a passport/passport card.

I get it that there are agents that really have no clue (new on the job, the need to be in control, etc). One question I have though, are you sure it was the government agents that were denying you? I know that cruiselines themselves can have stricter requirements than the government sometimes.

So, a TA might not be aware that the cruiseline will say "no" even if the law says "yes". Although, I would think they should be, after all, that's their job.

Yes it was Govt. we were taking a HAL cruise to mex Riv. It was around the time of stricter passports rules being implemented. We pleaded with them but it was like dealing with the DMV and the ship was about to sail

Edited by Buck Turgidson

Yes it was Govt. we were taking a HAL cruise to mex Riv. It was around the time of stricter passports rules being implemented. We pleaded with them but it was like dealing with the DMV and the ship was about to sail

Thanks for the answer.

Now back to our regular programming.

One cruise DH forgot his razor and deodorant. Didn't realize it until the first morning. Good thing it was a port day. Stopped at a local quick stop market and got a disposable razor and deodorant.

We got to LA, from illinois, for an 8 day cruise beginning the next day and my DH discovered he had left his 3 different diabetes meds behind. I could have strangled him!! He is a retired pharmacist!! Luckily, his doctor was on call and phoned them in to a local cvs that I found on my phone app. Worth the cab ride!!

On a Columbia River cruise, I discovered I had forgotten my entire hang up dop kit! We stopped the next morning in a town, and I was off the ship before the gangplank hit the dock!

Had to buy electric razor, deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brush, alarm clock!

On another trip, my wife forgot her driver's license. She used her COSTCO card as a photo ID, and TSA let her through!

Some years ago my sister-in-law left her passport in my vehicle at the airport. Problem the airport was 600 miles from the port of Miami.

This is why it is a good ideal to arrive a day before the cruise.

Thanks God for the passport office in Miami, FL.

My husband packed his suntan lotion in his carry on. It was a large bottle (he has skin cancers) and it was confiscated by the airlines. Fortunately, I had also packed some in my checked luggage.

Just a snarky, minor correction to your post: it wasn't the "airlines" who "confiscated" the "suntan lotion": it was the TSA who "asked" your DH to "voluntarily remove" his suntan lotion from his bag and turn it over. I had a TSA clerk tell me about the "confiscate vs voluntary surrender" thing ;)

I had a 48 hour stay over in NYC (well, the W Hoboken) prior to my flight to Cairo to take my Nile Cruise. Went to grab my little bag with my emergency inhaler, eye drops, lip balm, out of my daypack to use the lip balm. oops. I forgot to transfer it from my purse at home to my daypack (not taking a purse)… A quick trip down the street, past Carlo bakery (I had NO idea of it's popularity due to the Cake Boss), to the nearby CVS. I don't have a CVS at home (nor a Walgreens), but the very nice PA there was willing to phone my local pharmacy and get the prescription validated and give me a new inhaler. Bought the other items and checked out. Walked past Carlo Bakery on the way to the hotel again - stopped in and got some very tasty Italian goodies for the LOOOOONG flight to Cairo.

One question I have though, are you sure it was the government agents that were denying you? QUOTE]

While I get the WHTI requirement for a closed loop cruise, my aching and old memory seems to ring bells as to the MEXICAN requirements for entry, especially for minors.

It may have been relaxed by now....Cozumel cruises don't seem to have any issues, but at the time there may have been some confusion for the young mans status.

One question I have though, are you sure it was the government agents that were denying you? QUOTE]

While I get the WHTI requirement for a closed loop cruise, my aching and old memory seems to ring bells as to the MEXICAN requirements for entry, especially for minors.

It may have been relaxed by now....Cozumel cruises don't seem to have any issues, but at the time there may have been some confusion for the young mans status.

Since the poster said "Tossed my son the car keys and an ATM and said see you in a week" in their original post, I'm thinking the son wasn't so much a minor.

As an uber-planner, I make multiple spread sheets and begin packing weeks (sometimes over a month!) in advance. I can't recall forgetting anything. (But perhaps that's just my faulty memory??)

The one thing I do recall is forgetting to stash my GPS out of sight at the airport parking lot. Left it attached to the windshield. Worried it would be gone, but it was right there waiting for me when I returned!

On our Alaska cruise I forgot

socks - only had the one's on my feet

a comb

deodorant

Did I mention there are NO drug stores in Anchorage?

Luckily the Marriott we were staying at had a small store in the lobby. I was able to buy the missing items but not the socks- had to wear DH socks and wash them out every few nights!

a comb

deodorant

Luckily the Marriott we were staying at had a small store in the lobby. I was able to buy the missing items but not the socks- had to wear DH socks and wash them out every few nights!

I'm figuring you mean some sort of one-stop store to buy all those things in? There is a Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Target (3 of them), among other local convince stores in Anchorage.

Purse in our car once we had already been processed and was sitting in the terminal waiting to board the ship. Well my sister did this. I had to have security walk me out a back door, grab the shuttle back to the parking lot, grab her purse, back on the shuttle and then go back through being processed again (x-ray purse, etc.). Easier than it sounds.

Went to airport 40 miles away from home the night before for early early early morning flight to Quebec City. Got to airport check-in counter and discovered that I had left the mister's passport in the printer at home. :eek:

But we still made the cruise and had a wonderful time! Lovely lady at Alaska Airlines changed my tickets to Montreal later in the day at no charge. Drove home, picked up the passport, and made it to Montreal very late that night. Got up the next morning and figured out how to ride the fantabulous bus from Montreal to Quebec City. Very inexpensive, comfortable, and a beautiful drive. Made it to the cruise! :)

Never again . . . :rolleyes:

a comb

deodorant

Try doing a Google search on Walmart Anchorage, Walmart Pharmacy Anchorage, Sam's Club Anchorage, Fred Meyers Anchorage, Walgreen's Anchorage, Drug Store Anchorage, Sears Anchorage, Target Anchorage, Costco Anchorage, REI Anchorage, etc., etc., etc. Anchorage has a population of about 380,000. How do you think that they manage w/o drug stores, big box stores, food stores, and all the other stores that they have in your home town in Michigan? Anchorage is not an outpost in the wilderness. It is a major metropolitan area that has all the stuff you find in all major metropolitan areas including combs, deodorant, and yes, even socks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I have a couple of spreadsheets that I use for packing lists for each piece of luggage I bring. On our Adventure of the Seas cruise in 2011 the taxi driver showed up early to take us to the bus station where we would catch the Logan Express to take us to Logan Airport. We got the luggage up the stairs and into the taxi and made it onto the bus with no problem. We get to the airport and the driver is pulling our luggage out from under the bus when I suddenly realize that I forgot a duffle bag which contained all of my underwear, bathing suits, cosmetics, reading material and a few pairs of shoes (at least I had the spreadsheet so I knew exactly what I was missing). Horrors! He asked me if I wanted to go back but I declined. Made it up to the airline counter and was regaling my woes to the gal who was checking us in. She said there was plenty of time if I wanted to go back home (we were 3 hours early) to get the bag. Decided to try it. Roommate waited in a food court while I went back outside to catch a bus back to Braintree. Waited an hour in the freezing cold of Boston in April but the bus that finally arrived wasn't going back to Braintree. Went back inside furious and decided I would just have to get stuff in Puerto Rico (we were going to be there 4 days before the cruise actually began so no worries about missing the ship). Got the gal at the counter who got us back on our flight (but with better seats than we were going to have) and were on our way to PR. Got to PR, checked into our place and then off to CVS to buy underwear and cosmetics. Had to wait until Curacao to buy a bathing suit ($25 in Curacao vs. $85 in PR). Shoes I had were enough. Came home to find the bag sitting in the living room where I had left it two weeks earlier. Kicked it on my way to the bedroom. Made a great story when I told it to my boss. Told her the thing I missed the most was not having my reading material. Her response? She bought me a Kindle for my birthday two months later. Now I always leave a Post It on the door the night before we leave with a list of the BAGS that must leave the house with us as we depart for our trips. :D

Try doing a Google search on Walmart Anchorage, Walmart Pharmacy Anchorage, Sam's Club Anchorage, Fred Meyers Anchorage, Walgreen's Anchorage, Drug Store Anchorage, Sears Anchorage, Target Anchorage, Costco Anchorage, REI Anchorage, etc., etc., etc. Anchorage has a population of about 380,000. How do you think that they manage w/o drug stores, big box stores, food stores, and all the other stores that they have in your home town in Michigan? Anchorage is not an outpost in the wilderness. It is a major metropolitan area that has all the stuff you find in all major metropolitan areas including combs, deodorant, and yes, even socks.

DON

I understand. But we were staying at the Marriott and when we inquired with 2 different people, one being a cab driver and this is what we were told - why would we question them? We thought it was odd but we figured the locals knew what they were talking about.

- On one cruise my husband forgot his credit cards at home. Luckily we had mine.

- On another cruise I was so excited to get to the counter and receive my sail and sign card that I forgot to grab my purse before leaving the security scanner machine! Luckily my sister went through behind me and noticed it and brought it to me. Hubby and sister laughed at me as I'm always so careful with the purse since it has so many important things in it. What can I say? I realllyyyy needed that vacation and the excitement level went off the charts at that moment :D.

- On the same cruise as the purse story above, my aunt realized she left her passport back at the town she and a travel companion had just flown in from. Luckily they had gotten into the port city the day before the cruise and the hotel personnel came up with a solution for getting the passport sent in overnight :cool:. My husband went with her to the airport the day of the cruise to pick up the passport. Unfortunately there were a couple other hiccups later in the trip, but we still had a wonderful time!