UNITED question

PBNJ620

We recently flew on United and there were NO televisions at all on the plane. Thought this to be very odd as we had never experienced this. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which type of plane it was so as not to book on this again.

Can someone tell me how to find out which planes have televisions and which do not!? I didn't mind too much as I had the ipad , but my husband was bored the whole time!!! There weren't even any ways to plug headphones in for music to listen to!!!

United has a bunch of 737's that have no IFE systems. Most are 737-900. Note the tail number with ^ are the ones without IFE. They are delivered new without the IFE and UA adds these later on. Looks like about 20 of their planes still are without it.

http://www.aquawise.com/PMCOaircraft.html for latest list.

Edited by PaulMCO

I remember (fondly) the days when there were in-flight movies, magazines, playing cards and chewing gum!

And, a LAX-JFK roundtrip was about $2500 in today's dollars. Only execs, celebrities, etc. could afford to fly. Flying transcon to visit grandma was unaffordable to typical middle class families. IFE, (if there was any at all) was a movie film run through a projector at the front bulkhead of the cabin. It was usually a B-movie several years old.

You can still get most of the 70's amenities by flying first or biz class (except for the cards and the gum).

Edited by kenish

United on the EWR-FLL route,operate both A320s and 737s. The 320s are from the original united, and don't have seat back TVs. The 737s are ex-Continental, and have seat back TVs. However, it's just 2½ hrs, is it that big a deal?

United on the EWR-FLL route,operate both A320s and 737s. The 320s are from the original united, and don't have seat back TVs. The 737s are ex-Continental, and have seat back TVs. However, it's just 2½ hrs, is it that big a deal?

Actually UA is receiving brand new 737s without tvs, I believe it's 737-900s. But don't assume that you will get a tv on any UA 737.

Actually UA is receiving brand new 737s without tvs, I believe it's 737-900s. But don't assume that you will get a tv on any UA 737.

It's interesting to see the direction different airlines are going.

American has plans for 737s being delivered from this point forward to have personal IFE at every seat. Some have entered service already And on A319s currently coming into the fleet and in service. And they have plans to re-fit existing 737s with personal IFE at every seat.

The real question is now that Parker has his mitts on American Airlines, will plans change? He's historically being anti-IFE for domestic aircraft.

It's interesting to see the direction different airlines are going.

American has plans for 737s being delivered from this point forward to have personal IFE at every seat. Some have entered service already And on A319s currently coming into the fleet and in service. And they have plans to re-fit existing 737s with personal IFE at every seat.

The real question is now that Parker has his mitts on American Airlines, will plans change? He's historically being anti-IFE for domestic aircraft.

What's different... UA gets the 737-900 without the IFE and then retofits them with it later on. They are doing this at 1 to 2 planes a month.

Bored on a 3-hour flight. The horror. I bet you've had to sit in an airport for much longer, without TV? Why, you young whippersnappers, I can remember taking a 13 hour SYD-LAX flight, and, another occasion, a 14-hour JFK-JNB flight, both times without any movies, etc., at least that I can recall (and, of course, many times a system may not be working; on a TAP flight, the audio for movies wasn't working).

According to UA's Web site, they do not appear to use regional jets on this routing, at least the non-stops. Some sites such as Seatguru list entertainment options, but those can be, as regularly noted here, outdated, so always best to call the airline if you want updated info. We flew SFO-OGG in first class on a United 757, and it had entertainment, but only video monitors above some of the rows, so no selection.

Edited by Fattony

What's different... UA gets the 737-900 without the IFE and then retofits them with it later on. They are doing this at 1 to 2 planes a month.

I'm in the inflight entertainment industry (hardware side of things). Although I don't have any info on UA, their strategy is quite common. They have a hodgepodge of different systems as a result of the CO merger and various aircraft ages. For a consistent passenger "experience" and lower purchase and maintenance costs, airlines want to have the same system fleetwide as much as possible. Airlines constantly investigate new systems while the technology constantly changes. So, I'm not surprised that UA is holding back on IFE for later retrofit, especially on their 737's. Usually the longhaul aircraft receive the first retrofits.

One emerging trend is BYOD (Device). As you've noticed, people are bringing their own movies aboard on their laptop or tablets. Due to battery life it's most feasible for flights less than 4-6 hours...but add power ports and streaming WiFi (still a few years away from practical) and it really changes the game...less need for seatback monitors and embedded entertainment.

We're flying from Cle to SJU or San Juan on United 737-700 do they have Tvs in Economy Plus? It's just over 4 hour flight?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One version of their 737-700 has Direct TV that you'd have to pay for and the other has the drop down screen, so you get whatever they are playing.

OP~ Your post made me chuckle! I fly 5 or so times a year, so not a ton, but it is very unusual for me to be on an aircraft WITH a TV! Only when I fly on JetBlue do I have a TV to view. United, Delta, US Air, none of them have TVs out of my little home town airport.

The Jet Blue TV's stop working about 30 minutes after you leave Orlando on the way to Puerto Rico.

I find it amusing that people need a TV screen In front of them to be amused. What happened to reading, playing cards, napping, or chatting?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We recently flew on United and there were NO televisions at all on the plane. Thought this to be very odd as we had never experienced this. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which type of plane it was so as not to book on this again.

Can someone tell me how to find out which planes have televisions and which do not!? I didn't mind too much as I had the ipad , but my husband was bored the whole time!!! There weren't even any ways to plug headphones in for music to listen to!!!

Before I book my flights I make sure that the aircrafts have Audio Video on Demand. I fly on Lufthansa as on their planes they have MediaWorld with many tv shows music CD's and other cool things to keep me entertained.

On my upcoming trip to Brazil I made sure that the flight from Mexico City to Sao Paulo has Personal TV's on TAM. They do. The short flight from San Francisco to Mexico City doesn't but that is only a 4 hour flight at night.

SeatGuru will advise you for the most part if an aircraft does have Personal TV's. Sometimes airlines swap out planes and your plane just happens to be the one without TV's.

One thing no one mentioned -- you want to watch these TV's on UA. You better have a credit card. Yes the DIRECTV fitted 737's cost money unless you are in FC. Welcome to the new United.

And, a LAX-JFK roundtrip was about $2500 in today's dollars. Only execs, celebrities, etc. could afford to fly. Flying transcon to visit grandma was unaffordable to typical middle class families. IFE, (if there was any at all) was a movie film run through a projector at the front bulkhead of the cabin. It was usually a B-movie several years old.

You can still get most of the 70's amenities by flying first or biz class (except for the cards and the gum).

I remind my brother, when he bemoans the demise of the $198 RT from LAX to JFK (late 70s/early 80s), that he was making about a tenth of what he makes now at the time.

I've had to fly to the east coast four times in the last 90 days, and another trip is coming up next weekend. I tend to favor AA, and they have some ancient 767s on the route - I remember flying on one of them when they were brand new in the 1980s! FC and BC get Samsung tablets loaded with entertainment, while coach gets the old drop down TV and $5.00 earbuds that work no better than a tin can - don't forget your own! The new A321 will be an interesting switch, if only they'd put them on the time slots that I like.:p

I remind my brother, when he bemoans the demise of the $198 RT from LAX to JFK (late 70s/early 80s), that he was making about a tenth of what he makes now at the time.

I've had to fly to the east coast four times in the last 90 days, and another trip is coming up next weekend. I tend to favor AA, and they have some ancient 767s on the route - I remember flying on one of them when they were brand new in the 1980s! FC and BC get Samsung tablets loaded with entertainment, while coach gets the old drop down TV and $5.00 earbuds that work no better than a tin can - don't forget your own! The new A321 will be an interesting switch, if only they'd put them on the time slots that I like.:p

eventually, they will. :) Those old 762s will be phased out and all the Flagship transom routes (JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO) will be operated by the new A321T for all flights. Eventually. :)