Xray or metal detectors?

Logan303

Do norwiegen cruise lines have metal detectors only? Or full on body scan x rays? Do they have drug sniffing dogs as well?

They use metal detectors for people and xrays for luggage. The authorities at the port have the dogs (both in the US and in foreign ports).

I've seen the drug sniffing dogs on every cruise I've been on. The agent walks among the passengers standing in line, and the dog does his thing. I've also seen people pulled out of line when the dog detected something. I've seen agents come on board the ship and take people off in handcuffs. The cruise line also X-rays every bag before they're delivered to your cabin, and if anything suspicious is found, you're called to security to open your bag.

If you're thinking of bringing any kind of illegal drugs, forget it. And if you think drug laws in the US are tough, just see how bad it is in any foreign country. Think Midnight Express.

Edited by kitty9

The company isn't the only outfit that is looking over you and your luggage. There are various government agencies that take an interest in you and your stuff. If you do a bit of research you can find out the government policies of various countries where the ship stops and you will discover that those countries have ..... different procedures for dealing with people and their ...things.

A side note: the cruise ship personnel do not need your permission nor presence to search your cabin.

There is a regular poster on the Princess boards who spends their winter cruising on the Emerald Princess. She puts up a daily blog. On her most recent cruise, according to rumor, they were delayed leaving Ft. Lauderdale due to a passenger attempting to bring aboard cannabis in their checked luggage. Authorities were called, and the passenger was paged multiple times, by Passenger Services and the Captain. In addition, they put together lost person teams to begin searching the ship, if the passenger didn't finally turn themselves in.

Every bag/container going on board is scanned. You will need to go through a metal detector, but will be asked to empty your pockets. While security isn't as "pain in the butt" as the airport, it is still security and procedures are followed. Why would you attempt to do something illegal?

Do norwiegen cruise lines have metal detectors only? Or full on body scan x rays? Do they have drug sniffing dogs as well?

the cruise lines have nothing to do with it. it is Port security.

I have yet to see a full body scanner at a port but that doesn't mean there aren't any or that they will not appear at some time in the future.

oh and the dogs are not just for drugs, many ports also have agricultural sniffers as well.

Security at the ports is similar to that of airports in that each person is screened as well as their luggage. Luggage is x-ray'd, carry on's scanned and potentially searched as well. But as others have indicated, it is actually more intense at the ports as dogs are used as well looking specifically for drugs and other contraband. And if suspected that can include human searches.

This includes ports of call - your carry on's and you will be scanned. And in that case you are subject to the local authority of that port of call - which can be serious business with little or no help from the US if you are caught with anything you shouldn't have.

As suggested by others (based on your question regarding the dogs), don't even think about it!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Logan303 has probably bailed on this thread by now. But since he is from NY and asking about NCL he may be going to Bermuda. So it is worth yet another redundant response to say--just don't do it! I have seen Bermudan authorities pull people out of the line to reboard the ship, completely dump out whatever bags they are carrying and do a thorough TSA-style patdown. And if you are overnighting in Bermuda the police can and will board the ship with dogs--often because they suspect a crew member of smuggling but they have certainly caught passengers who were holding.

Edited by fishywood

The chemical sniffers are getting better as time passes. This is the machine you see in the airports when a small white pad is wiped over luggage or clothes and then put in a machine. Not a chemist, but am told they are better for traces of explosives than the dogs but not as fast. A good dog can do once over very fast. I wish I had time and could pet them. They always look so cute but I know they are working.

The chemical sniffers are getting better as time passes. This is the machine you see in the airports when a small white pad is wiped over luggage or clothes and then put in a machine. Not a chemist, but am told they are better for traces of explosives than the dogs but not as fast. A good dog can do once over very fast. I wish I had time and could pet them. They always look so cute but I know they are working.

Pax getting off the ship in Ensenada are happy when the dog sits next to them. That is until they realize that the officer at the other end of the leash wants their contraband fruit.:p

I know the dog is not interested in finding pot because when my wife and I sit out on our balcony, we have smelled many times the odor of people smoking. I know on RCCL you will no longer be able to smoke on your balcony so it would not pay to bring anything on the ship. Many other ships also ban smoking on your balcony.