Opinion what's the best month for value/weather for the 11 day partial transit

Moviegirlnyorlando

We were considering the 11/9/2014. It will be just me and hubby so don't have to worry about 13 y/o being out of school . Living in Florida I realize that early November is the end of hurricane season but I would worry more from my past experience with hurricanes about August, September or early October cruises.

Has anyone sailed (the ship this year is the Coral) in early November ? I'm sure it should be warmer then Florida and in early November this year we had some days up to the 90's!

It is currently list at full price without taking into account a $50 per person past cruise credit (we are only still gold) the $100 per person FCC credit and any OBC promotions. Do you think November may drop more then spring cruises in price, even if we book now ? The FCC person at Princess told me that they would refare the cruise to match any price drops I've found (this is nice as I've only gotten obc from other lines in past with price drops

Also would be ok booking just an oceanview ? We really don't stay in our cabin often, and would love to save money for more extensive excursions since there are so many cool ports on this cruise.

What is the category most likely to receive a coveted "upgrade fairy" to a balcony ? I there a trick like booking one of the quad rooms as a double, in case someone needs a quad down the line ?

We haven't ruled out booking a balcony but really as we are from Florida sun (and beaches and pools etc) isn't something that is important to us. We always try to go up on top front to watch the anchors dropped and the port tugboat come in to meet the ship in ports all of which might not be easy to be seen from our balcony

Also does anyone know what floor the IC , atrium, vines is on Coral? We really, really enjoyed being close to that center action especially for midnight snacks and to catch entertainers on atrium

Any advice ? If we don't go in 11/9/2014 we will likely go sometime in winter (February? ) 2015

I am also planning a 5-7 nighter with my daughter for her 21st birthday in May of 2014. and the South American cruise in fall 2015 or winter 2016

Upgrades from one type of cabin to another are not as common. You have a better chance of an upgrade if you book one of the lower categories in the cabin type but then you are likely to get the same type of cabin in a "better" location. It's always a gamble.

To be closest to the Atrium, IC, etc. on the Coral, you'd book a Plaza deck cabin. I loved the location on the Island Princess last year. Another good location on the Coral is an Emerald deck obstructed view cabin. The Coral/Island have an Atrium that extends to Emerald deck so you'd still be close and accessible to the Atrium. These cabins are a lot cheaper than the Plaza deck cabins and the only difference is unobstructed vs. partially or fully obstructed. There are some (look at the deck plans) that are hardly obstructed. As the bed is against the window in either type of cabin, your view won't make much difference.

The lowest prices are usually in October to early November, early December and then early January. February, you'll pay a premium. Your best bet is to use a TA that books a high volume of Princess cruises and will give you a 10-20% discount, OBC and perks.

Edited by Pam in CA

We did the partial transit on Island Princess at the beginning of November 2012.

The weather was awful for the transit. I've since discovered Roosevelt visited the construction site in November to see for himself working conditions at their worst!

I'd avoid November like the plague

We are thinking of doing a full transit in April. Will it be miserably hot?

Coming from Seattle it will seem warm whenever you decide to go:D! If I were to choose a time period to do the Canal based on weather alone, January-February would be my choice. Let me explain... honestly there is little temperature difference through out the year and it is always on the warm and humid side. You will rarely find the actual air temp much above 90 or below 75 The Jan-Feb time of the year the Dry season has begun, there is usually a breeze and the humidity is about as good as it is ever going to get, which is probably higher than you are used to. I would only let this time period be a tie breaker and would rely more on what it is convenient for your schedule... ship and airline fares etc. Air conditioning, shade, a breeze or some combination of those is not usually too hard to find. Also keep in mind, Dry season doesn't mean no rain... just less (usually a lot less) rain;).

Also does anyone know what floor the IC , atrium, vines is on Coral?

A general suggestion (not really pertaining to your original post) - get Ship Mate. It is available for your computer and your phone/tablet. You can look up any Princess (or one of the other lines that are available) deck plan and find the location of everything. Very helpful while on the ship - those paper maps they hand out at boarding are horrible.

If you use it on the ship...before you leave LOOK at every deck, that way it is stored in the memory of your device. Then while at sea, you can see what you want to see while in "airplane" mode. It is a great tool.

It's hot, humid and rainy no matter when you go. That's why I loved being in the Sanctuary on Canal day: they had iced towels and ice water available all the time. Plus, the views of the Canal were amazing from there. You're high up so you can see so much more. People try to sneak in to get photos from there but are shooed out.

We did a partial transit on the Coral Oct. 24 to Nov. 4, 2013. The weather was great; better than we expected. Being from Florida it will not seem much more than a summer day to you. Only one light rain shower while we were in Old Panama City; did not break out the ponchos even.

After we booked with a TA (in April), there was a price drop (or two), and we were "upgraded" from Aloha balcony to Caribbean balcony.

Print off the deck plans from the Cruise Atlas before you leave home to help you get around.

Check out my review under the Princess ship section. Enjoy your cruise!

It's hot, humid and rainy no matter when you go. That's why I loved being in the Sanctuary on Canal day: they had iced towels and ice water available all the time. Plus, the views of the Canal were amazing from there. You're high up so you can see so much more. People try to sneak in to get photos from there but are shooed out.

Can you book The Sanctuary for specific days before you leave? I have never been in there but might consider it for the canal.

We did our full transit in January, 2010. The price of the cruise was high. Couldn't believe how hot and humid it was (90 degrees with probably 90% humidity). When we had left home for the cruise, it was 19 degrees! On the other hand, the Panama Canal was such an amazing and interesting sight that price and temps were so worth it.

Pam, do they do something special in the sanctuary on the canal day? I thought I read that somewhere. Can you book for that day as soon as you get on the ship? Thanks.

Ship Mate[/b].

I ready someone's (yours?) suggestion yesterday to get the Ship Mate app. When I looked it up in the Google Play Store, in order to download it, they asked for my credit card number while stating that the app is free. I backed out of the store without downloaing the app.

Can you book The Sanctuary for specific days before you leave? I have never been in there but might consider it for the canal.
No, you can't book before you board the ship. Once onboard, you can book for just Canal day. If you book for the entire cruise, it's without Canal day which has to be booked separately. I think it's $75/pp for that day alone.

Pam, do they do something special in the sanctuary on the canal day? I thought I read that somewhere. Can you book for that day as soon as you get on the ship? Thanks.
There isn't really something special other than the fact that the Sanctuary itself is special. You have nice, comfortable loungers and attendants to bring you iced cloths, iced water, beverages or food. There's a $3 service charge for food delivery. Afternoon tea (free) is served right at your lounger which is delicious. On the Coral and Island, the Sanctuary is at the back of the ship so you get great views. The ship's photographer comes by to take photos. Plus, there is a small pool right there for the exclusive use of those in the Sanctuary.

Here I am while transiting the Canal:

DSC00499.JPG

From either side of the Sanctuary, you can see quite a bit far forward and you're high enough to be able to see so much, including the building of the new locks.

Edited by Pam in CA

Ship Mate[/b].

I ready someone's (yours?) suggestion yesterday to get the Ship Mate app. When I looked it up in the Google Play Store, in order to download it, they asked for my credit card number while stating that the app is free. I backed out of the store without downloading the app.

Go to shipmateapp.com :D

Go to shipmateapp.com :D

Thanks for the information. I was able to download to my laptop without having to set up an account on their website but can't access it on my phone. Since I have a hard time reading the small print on my phone, the laptop version will work. I may decide to just set up an account later in order to have access. Thanks again.

We went the last week in March, first week in April and did not find it too hot. I expected it to be brutal, but it wasn't at all. Yes, the windows of the ship fogged up from the heat/moisture/whatever, but there was a decent breeze most of the day and it was pleasant enough to be outside while going through the locks on a small boat.

I did a partial transit on the Island Princess on 11/19/11. We were in the Canal on Thanksgiving Day. Weather was sunny, hot and fine. I have cruised in the Caribbean earlier in November a couple times and we did have weather issues. Both years there was small hurricane activity, but the ship sailed around it. We did have rain off and on, though.

We went the last week in March, first week in April and did not find it too hot. I expected it to be brutal, but it wasn't at all. Yes, the windows of the ship fogged up from the heat/moisture/whatever, but there was a decent breeze most of the day and it was pleasant enough to be outside while going through the locks on a small boat.

Not to hijack the original thread how did you like the small boat excursion?

jftyska at Hotmail if you would prefer not to answer here. :D

Upgrades from one type of cabin to another are not as common. You have a better chance of an upgrade if you book one of the lower categories in the cabin type but then you are likely to get the same type of cabin in a "better" location. It's always a gamble.

To be closest to the Atrium, IC, etc. on the Coral, you'd book a Plaza deck cabin. I loved the location on the Island Princess last year. Another good location on the Coral is an Emerald deck obstructed view cabin. The Coral/Island have an Atrium that extends to Emerald deck so you'd still be close and accessible to the Atrium. These cabins are a lot cheaper than the Plaza deck cabins and the only difference is unobstructed vs. partially or fully obstructed. There are some (look at the deck plans) that are hardly obstructed. As the bed is against the window in either type of cabin, your view won't make much difference.

The lowest prices are usually in October to early November, early December and then early January. February, you'll pay a premium. Your best bet is to use a TA that books a high volume of Princess cruises and will give you a 10-20% discount, OBC and perks.

Thanks I will look into this, I need to fine a TA with those specs but I'm in orlamdo Florida