Question about seasickness remedy? Ginger in particular

Anniesails

Will be embarking on the South American "around the Horn" cruise on 2/1. Usually never get motion sickness but want to be prepared. I heard that ginger root is good for it and was wondering how to take it? Do you take it IF it happens or everyday just in case. Any info is greatly appreciated. I also bought Bonine and seabands just in case. Don't want to be sick and not enjoy this trip !!!:cool:

We buy the candied ginger from Trader Joe's and nibble on it throughout the course of the day.You can also by it in tablet form.

That's a rough ride down there. Even the my cabin attendant was sick when I went. She used the sea bands, by the way. She also recommended green apples. I swear by the transdermal patch for those itineraries that I know will be rocky, but some people here have reported adverse side effects.

I just take ginger capsules which are available in the vitamin section of any supermarket, Target or drug store. I am very susceptible to seasickness and ginger tablets do the trick for me and there are no side effects like drowsiness, dry mouth, etc.

If Bonine makes you drowsy, take it in the evening before going to bed. That negates the drowziness experienced by some. You can also buy Meclizene that is the same chemical in Bonine for much less cost (Rugby brand) and it comes in two strengths for those who don't require the 25 mg dose.

Go to your local Health Food Store and get Australian Candied Ginger, it's sold by the pound. Sweet with a nice bite to it and it keeps well. I eat a piece in the morning and one before dinner. It settles the stomach:). It works for me on my past 23 cruises. Good luck.

I carry a few tablets of Bonine chewable with me all the time. At the very first warning sign of being seasick or even if the water is a little rough I take one. One tablet is good for 24 hours, but you can take 2 tablets. You must take these before you get sick. They don't really work after you get seasick.

The non drowsy type have never made be sleepy.

Remember to check with your doctor if you're on any kind of blood thinners or other meds that might interact badly with ginger.

Ginger worked for me for awhile, but, alas, I need stronger stuff now, so I take the generic form of Bonine. That works like a charm for me.

We buy the candied ginger from Trader Joe's and nibble on it throughout the course of the day.You can also by it in tablet form.

That's a rough ride down there. Even the my cabin attendant was sick when I went. She used the sea bands, by the way. She also recommended green apples. I swear by the transdermal patch for those itineraries that I know will be rocky, but some people here have reported adverse side effects.

I get carsick on winding roads. I most definitely get seasick. I use the patch and, even though we went through some very rough seas (people staggering all over the ship and loud booming and shudders as the ship breasted the seas) I didn't get sick at all using the patch. I will never cruise without it and have never had any adverse effects.

As always, your mileage may vary... :D

Most adverse side effects are experienced by people with light colored eyes, such as blue, hazel, or green. If you have dark colored eyes, brown,etc. you should be ok.

I am a much more severe case than mentioned. Ginger candies are always on hand. But I also have the patch, zofran strips, and emend. I am usually OK in certain seas at certain times of year.

Cruising in a few days hope we have calm seas! :D

Most adverse side effects are experienced by people with light colored eyes, such as blue, hazel, or green. If you have dark colored eyes, brown,etc. you should be ok.

Really? I never knew that! I have green eyes. hmmm could be why it's not a fix for me.

Many cruise lines also have candied ginger outside the dining room, as both a little after dinner sweet and a seasickness remedy/preventive.

I used to use ginger when my ex and I sailed on a 32 foot sail boat. I swear by it.

Really? I never knew that! I have green eyes. hmmm could be why it's not a fix for me.

I have never seen it outside a Princess MDR, just the peppermints and toothpicks that are at the table just inside. Nor have I've seen it in the buffet. Maybe it's just been on selective ships.

I have grey-green eyes and didn't notice any side effects, and have never heard of this.

I have found candied ginger in the grocery stores here. Sometimes even more than one brand. Usually in the spice aisle or the exotic food aisles. If you have a Cost Plus World Market, there are so many different forms of ginger candy and chews. Before every cruise, I stop by the closest one and go to town buying the Altoids ginger-flavored and many of the other candied ginger. I probably exude ginger the second or third day of the cruise. The vitamin aisle or a health food store should have ginger capsules. Amazon will have different type too if you want to look online.

Doesn't make me drowsy and many meds do. Even when it's "non-drowsy" Bonine, etc.

Last year on Star ( same itinerary) , candied ginger was available every evening in International Cafee, by the time cheeses and other late night snacks were available. They nicelely supplemented the ones I brought together with ginger candies and the bracelets.

Don't forget ginger ale and ginger tea! While I don't generally need it, for the trip around the horn I'm taking: candied ginger, ginger capsules, ginger altoids, ginger tea, and some chewy ginger candy I found at Homegoods! (And I have blue eyes...but I do get vertigo:D).

My wife can watch a boat rocking on TV and get nauseous, she gets motion sickness very easily... The patch (scopolamine), dilated her eyes to the point where she could not read a menu. Non Drowsy Dramamine/Bonine - Meclazine makes her sleepy. Various bracelets (both pressure point and electric shock) were not effective... Finally, about 4 years ago she discovered ginger pills; she starts taking them a few days before a flight/cruise and continues them daily and they work with zero side effects!

I have never seen it outside a Princess MDR' date=' just the peppermints and toothpicks that are at the table just inside. Nor have I've seen it in the buffet. Maybe it's just been on selective ships.

I have grey-green eyes and didn't notice any side effects, and have never heard of this.

I have found candied ginger in the grocery stores here. Sometimes even more than one brand. Usually in the spice aisle or the exotic food aisles. If you have a Cost Plus World Market, there are so many different forms of ginger candy and chews. Before every cruise, I stop by the closest one and go to town buying the Altoids ginger-flavored and many of the other candied ginger. I probably exude ginger the second or third day of the cruise. The vitamin aisle or a health food store should have ginger capsules. Amazon will have different type too if you want to look online.

Doesn't make me drowsy and many meds do. Even when it's "non-drowsy" Bonine, etc.[/quote']

I didn't know that Princess made ginger available. I also had no idea that Cost Plus World Market has a multitude of ginger products. I LOVE ginger! I'll have to check out the World Market (never usually go there) and also look out for ginger on Princess ships. (Did I mention that I LOVE ginger? :D) I sometimes buy the Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's. They are from The Ginger People.

I didn't know that Princess made ginger available. I also had no idea that Cost Plus World Market has a multitude of ginger products. I LOVE ginger! I'll have to check out the World Market (never usually go there) and also look out for ginger on Princess ships. (Did I mention that I LOVE ginger? :D) I sometimes buy the Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's. They are from The Ginger People.

We have never seen it on a Princess cruise either.

I try to keep Ginger People around also. I do have ginger Altoids but they are very hard to find. Maybe once a year this one store will bring in Ginger Altoids and run a sale. I buy as much as I can because it will take another year to see it again.Sali