How long after dinner in MDR do you change clothes?

pseudoware

We are pretty casual around the ship during the day, we're clean, but casual. Of course after some excursions we sometimes come back a little the worse for wear, so we'll shower & change before dinner. If we've been at the pool we'll also shower & change before dinner. We leave our dinner clothes on for the evening; we don't do formal formal anymore, since it's not worth while to get all gussied up for a two-hour dinner and then ... nothing.

Mr Chew will wear a clean polo shirt for dinner, and that becomes his excursion shirt the next day. Then it goes into the dirty bag. My tops for excursions/day time are completely different from evening tops.

are some of you saying if you wear an outfit all day and then change for dinner that you would have a problem putting the day outfit back on for the rest of the evening? (assuming you haven't soiled it or sweated heavily)

Yes, because if I change clothes, I don't change "for dinner", I change for the evening (which includes dinner). Changing clothes for only the short time span of dinner seems pointless to me.

We don't wear casual day wear a 2nd time. We shower before dinner and try to wear comfy enough clothes that we don't need to change after dinner until bed time. We enjoy dressing up a little for dinner. The only exception is if we are uncomfortable for some reason. I have a very hard time staying warm enough. I have been known to take off a dress and put on slacks. One time, out of sheer desperation, I changed out of strappy sandals and intosneakers and a sweat shirt on a Carnival ship. I was absolutely shivering and had nothing else warm to put on. It was well after dinner and I wasn't about to ruin that evening with my family.

Love formal nights with my wife and friends...but after 4-6 hours in Tux or Suit (all...and I mean ALL, formal portrait stations and dinner) I am back in shorts and shirt immediately upon leaving the MDR...then Martini or Molecular Bar ...here I come !! :D:D

Woody

I wear what I wore for dinner for the rest of the night (changing into lower heals depending on what we are doing). I like being nicely dressed in the evening and pack a dress for each night. I have learnt that the closer fitting dresses are worn the first week of the cruise.

On our new years cruise I did change after dinner, from a formal dress into a short bright red sequined party dress.

I sail Celebrity, and eventhough it is not as formal as it was, people do tend to wear their evening clothes all evening, so I don't feel out of place.

Cheers, h.

Do you rock your formal or smart casual gear late into the night, or are you one who can't wait to change immediately after throwing down the Tiramisu and Grand Marnier.

My first after-dinner stop is always our cabin where I'm comfortably back in shorts and flip flops. The exception was this past New Year's Eve when I waited until 12:01 AM to change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I change but not necessarily into more comfortable, just a different outfit. I usually wear a formal gown to dinner each night (7) and change to a cocktail dress (7) for the evening or dancing. I will opt for more comfortable shoes.

I only dress up for the night's dinner, and the show preceding or following it. I usually put on slacks and a polo for casual nights, and dress pants with a shirt and tie for elegant nights. (I don't bother with a suit; they're bulky and hard to pack, and last time I wore one was to fight a traffic ticket.) I'm pretty casual most of the time, but for an event like dinner and a show, I like to dress up. It sets the right tone, and I've gotten compliments for how I dressed.

But afterwards, I like to slip into something more comfortable, which usually consists of daytime casual clothes (shorts and a T-shirt). Most people on my cruises did the same thing. Dancing in the clubs (not twerking, but not waltz, either) aren't exactly activities that formal clothes are suited for. Oftentimes, the air conditioning there just isn't strong enough to cut through the heat-generating dancing :D.

We change as quick as we can - not into dirties - into clean clothes, we're odd though in that we hate dressing up, and feel much better in just casual clothes (not ratty tarty ones). I don't think badly of anyone not dressed up, nor of anyone who is ponced up - although on our last cruise Radiance of the Seas Freo to NZ to Sydney, we had come off deck in casual clothes, had a quick drink in Star Quest and were popping down to cabin to change for dinner - and rude pompous cow of a woman (waving 2 fingers to you if your a cc poster), who was dressed in glittery top showing off to her hubby and friends from the diamond club, Oh look It's So Nice To See some People Don't Feel The Need To Dress up!

I could've slapped her! We'd come off the deck for goodness sake, really are you dressed to nines walking around the decks outside at 6pm?

Think she thought she would be 'the man' in front of her friends, but it backfired on her, as hubby and I didn't take her rude comments and condescending manner to well and responded as such.

It really put a damper on the cruise, as I really took those comments to heart. And she was the rudest 'b' I have had the misfortune to be in contact with on a cruiseship.

So my advice to you would be, you change when you want, you pay your way to cruise and are entitled to be comfy, if you want to be casual - be casual, if you want to lash out and dress to the nines, then do so

That reminds me of a few cruises ago when we came in from the pool area around 6-ish on a formal night. As we had our usual late seating, and that didn't start til maybe 8:15, we didn't feel the need to run to our cabin to be in formal wear (for us, suit with sport jacket and cocktail dress, usually) at the stroke of six. There was a sea of glittering dresses and tuxes as well as the usual suits and dresses, etc. around the door of the traditional dining room (I think we were sneaking a peek at the menu before heading to our cabin).

I remember one woman throwing a dirty glance our way. If I had thought of a good comeback, I could have taken her on, but decided not to bother with trying to cook one up. If she felt everyone on board should be dressed to the nines when she is, tough. I hope it ruined her dinner seeing us still in wet hair and our cover ups.:)

As for us and changing or not, it just depends. If there's an entertainment to get to after dinner, we might just go directly there. If our tootsies are tired, we may head to the cabin and change our shoes. On our last cruise, I think we didn't bother with our dressier shoes. In fact, I brought just a few pairs of shoes anyway (my walking shoes, my sandals, and a pair of enclosed shoes that seemed to have shrink between buying them and the cruise so I put them back in the suitcase and stuck with the casual and flat sandals the rest of the time. If someone's staring at my feet, I'm not dressed spectacularly enough, I guess.

But sometimes I want to change so I'm not freezing in the Princess Theater. And I'm not going to look my nose down at those who stayed in shorts and denim -- they may have grabbed a pizza or a dinner in the buffet.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

We don't change until we head to our cabin for bed at the end of the evening. The only exception would be if we decide to catch a movie under the stars on the Lido deck and it's a chilly evening, we may change into long pants and a long sleeved shirt. But that would be the only time we ever change after dinner.

On formal nights it is straight back to the cabin after dinner to throw the jacket on the bed and the tie on the floor. As i wear a dark suit rather than a tux the trousers and shirt are OK for my 'evening casual' look until bedtime.

are some of you saying if you wear an outfit all day and then change for dinner that you would have a problem putting the day outfit back on for the rest of the evening? (assuming you haven't soiled it or sweated heavily)

Yes, in hot weather, after a day of touring, I'm not putting those clothes back on.

No need to change cause we don't do "Formal Nights":)

On our last cruise, we opted to not dress up for dinner. On formal nights, we skipped the MDR and went to the buffet. It was so relaxing. We're casual people anyhow, and I've always thought it was silly to have to wear a suit and tie to eat a steak (or whatever is on the menu). To me, the food tastes just the same, regardless of what we're wearing. And, we've got plenty of picture from past cruises where we've dressed up. I couldn't tell you the last time we looked at them, and we certainly don't need any more.

Do you rock your formal or smart casual gear late into the night, or are you one who can't wait to change immediately after throwing down the Tiramisu and Grand Marnier.

My first after-dinner stop is always our cabin where I'm comfortably back in shorts and flip flops. The exception was this past New Year's Eve when I waited until 12:01 AM to change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We change clothes within 15 minutes of leaving the MDR.

DW and I eat then once dinner is over maybe do a lap around the place and get some picture taken then we are out of the dress clothes. back into shorts and a t shirt.. when you wear dress shirt and ties and dress pants on vacation it doesnt make it seem liek a vacation.. So the second i am done i am out...

That's us ASAP!

We usually don't have to change after dining because we've gotten to the point where we prefer not to dress up to eat so we skip formal nights in the Main Dining Room. Dressing up for us is wearing a nice pair of silk ladies slacks with a coordinating silk blouse and comfortable flats.