How far would you drive on embarkation day?

Spiralshell

What's the greatest distance you would be willing to drive to port on embarkation day?

We are driving from NY down to Baltimore for our cruise on the Pride in March. It's 234 miles -- 3 hours and 46 minutes, according to Mr. Google.

We figure, if we leave at 6:30-7am, we could get there by 11. It's a 4:30 departure, so there's still a decent cushion in case we have car trouble or whatever.

Is this nuts?

We're traveling with children, so we'd really like to spare ourselves the hassle and expense of an extra night in a hotel, packing out separate stuff just for that night, etc. Our kids are great in the car.

What would you do? Experiences, cautionary tales, and wisdom appreciated!

What's the greatest distance you would be willing to drive to port on embarkation day?

We are driving from NY down to Baltimore for our cruise on the Pride in March. It's 234 miles -- 3 hours and 46 minutes, according to Mr. Google.

We figure, if we leave at 6:30-7am, we could get there by 11. It's a 4:30 departure, so there's still a decent cushion in case we have car trouble or whatever.

Is this nuts?

We're traveling with children, so we'd really like to spare ourselves the hassle and expense of an extra night in a hotel, packing out separate stuff just for that night, etc. Our kids are great in the car.

You will probably be fine with that schedule. If it was me, I would leave earlier at least by 6:00 am. If you get to Baltimore with any delays, you'll have time to grab an early lunch and let your children have some time to move around.

Although I have always gotten to at least within 50 miles of the dock the night before, this sounds entirely doable to me. I have ridden in a car from the Jersey/PA border area to Atlantic City before, and I would have thought the distance from your area to Baltimore would be greater than that, but okay.

If it were me I would start as early as possible in the AM to avoid traffic problems, etc. Good luck.

I live near Orlando and won't drive to Ft Lauderdale (little over 3 hr drive) on the day of a cruise. To many chances for a reck on I95 and miss the ship. There are very few ways to get around an accident between the two cities. I'm driving down tomorrow for my Sunday cruise.

If you know you have an alternative route, then go for it but I would not chance it.

Have a great trip.

Don

I've done it in the reverse direction on the day of embarkation (a bit north of Baltimore to Red Hook Terminal) a couple of times. Interestingly if I take Amtrak I'm scared to do it on embarkation day...

When driving we usually leave home around 8 with an expectation of arriving around 12:30. Just have a way of seeing traffic problems (e.g., Google Maps) and have an alternate route, say around the NJ Turnpike, if required.

I live 20 minutes from the Port of Baltimore, so yeah, I would chance a same-day drive. :-)

I think what the OP is intending is reasonable. But I too would try to get an earlier start. If he/she is coming from New York City (as opposed to central upstate, where I-81 and I-83 would be an option), then one must allow time for the vagaries of I-95 traffic. But early on a Sunday morning shouldn't be a problem.

I would recommend checking the weather for the entire route a couple of days out, and if it looks iffy, go down the day before and get a hotel. Marylanders are notorious for creating traffic havoc at the least little bit of inclement weather.

If you are paying to park your car during the cruise (not dropping off a rental) you can usually stay at a hotel that offers free parking during your cruise, a free shuttle to the port and breakfast and spend less than the parking fee. We live near Orlando and if we are going out of Miami drive the night before. No risk and feels like a little more vacation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Marylanders are notorious for creating traffic havoc at the least little bit of inclement weather.

noooo :eek: :rolleyes: :p ;) not local drivers?! as my husband says: Instant Stupidity. Just add water. just look at this week heheheh.

Is this nuts?

What would you do if we had another version of the Arctic Express with the accompanying snow and ice on cruise day? Under normal circumstances, you should have no problem although I would leave earlier. However, what about abnormal circumstances?

DON

Our first cruise, we drove from Ohio to Baltimore (about 475 miles) the day of embarkation. Left about 5 am and were there just after noon. No problem!

We enjoy traveling the day before when we can, but it's not always possible. And as you mentioned, especially with a family, that extra hassle of packing for one night is bothersome.

Have a great cruise!

Is this nuts?

Is this nuts? No. So, we just did this drive from upstate NY. 5hrs and 15mins with a 7 month old. She's really good in the car as well. I would have gone down the day of - had my work schedule co-operated. We did go down the night before. The pier is pretty easy to get to. Our embarkation was on a Friday and Baltimore - most specifically, the inner harbor was bereft any serious traffic. For us (anyway), on Grandeur, there wasn't much benefit of getting right on board at 1030am. WJ didn't open until noon(ish) and it looked like a refugee camp ahead of time. If you plan for 11am and have a hiccup that pushes you out to noon, 1pm - nothing to sweat about.

$15/day to park at the pier.

Best part with driving - if the weather forecast looks to be a disaster, you still always have the option to go a day earlier. We drove back in one of these winter storms, but we're used to that kind of driving. That just means I go the posted speed limit. :D

Our "home" port is Bayonne, NY - 3hrs 50mins from here. We'll be doing that drive 3x in 2014 all on the day of embarkation.

3 1/2 hours and even with that short trip we always drive in the night before. There are just too many "what ifs" for us. What if the Interstate is closed due to a major traffic accident and we can't detour. What if it is so foggy out that it is unsafe to travel. What is the roads are iced over and we can't travel. etc.

But then we don't have kids to worry about so I think the OP has a good plan.

Edited by lady_cruiser

We live in central Florida and would drive the day if the cruise to any Florida ports. Tampa and port Canaveral are both about 90 minutes, Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville are 3-3.5 hours depending in traffic, and Miami is four hours.

Of course we keep an eye on the weather and would leave earlier if need be. We also wouldn't cut it close, and would plan on at least an extra two hours of travel time before the cut off time for boarding.

Anything further we would go the day before.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

Is this nuts?

I think Google is lying to you about how long it will take. I would plan on five hours of travel time, with no excessive traffic, construction, accidents, etc. You need to get through some of the most congested roadways in the country, and there is ongoing construction on 95 in MD.

You will need to stop at least once, more likely twice for bathrooms breaks, those will be 15 minutes each with kids in tow. You will also need to eat at some point, I'm not seeing feeding the kids at 6:00 am and not again until you are on board without some grumpy tummies. That's another 30 minutes.

I would drive that day, BUT, make a cancellable reservation NOW at a hotel in the greater Baltimore area (some nice, safe ones near BWI) so that if the weather goes south in you (very possible in March) you have a plan B and can go the day before.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We were driving from the MA/RI border to the NY cruise terminal in April, so weather wasn't really a concern. 3 hrs 36 min according to mapquest. We went down the night before and got a hotel. $130 well worth the peace of mind and it allows you to be wake up in the morning and be fresh and ready for the cruise. We too have kids that are fine in the car but chose to spend the relatively little bit of money for the convenience. It all comes down to personal preference.