Ruby Princess

Warm Breezes

Please give me your opinions of the Ruby Princess. I am just waiting for verification that DH can get the week off (shouldn't be an issue) and I plan on booking a March cruise on Monday for DH and myself. This will be our 12th cruise but first time on Princess and first time booking a mini-suite. We have previously sailed on DCL 2x, CCL 6x, and NCL 3x. I would like to hear your opinions, tips, and things not to miss on Ruby Princess. Thanks in advance.

Please give me your opinions of the Ruby Princess. I am just waiting for verification that DH can get the week off (shouldn't be an issue) and I plan on booking a March cruise on Monday for DH and myself. This will be our 12th cruise but first time on Princess and first time booking a mini-suite. We have previously sailed on DCL 2x, CCL 6x, and NCL 3x. I would like to hear your opinions, tips, and things not to miss on Ruby Princess. Thanks in advance.
You will love the Ruby. We've been on her twice, the second time two weeks ago.

The mini-suites are very nice staterooms and you will appreciate the larger bathroom and extra space in general. If you want one with a covered balcony, choose one of the aft ones on the Emerald deck. If you want a quick snack the International Café is the best place on the ship, sometimes accompanied by nearby musicians. If you want a quiet place to rest and read a book, the Library is very comfortable and has a surprisingly good book selection. If you're a big soda drinker, get the soda sticker sold in many places on the ship as soon as you board. If you're a workout person, the gym is very nice, but get there early if you can because it can fill up fast.

Edited by taxatty

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are booked on the B2B which leaves on Feb. 6. We sailed the western Carib on the Ruby last year and decided to do this western cruise this year.

I found these secrets before our cruise last year on the Ruby and thought you might find them helpful -

1.) After leaving the show in the evening in the Princess Theater, step out the side doors to the outside Promenade (deck 7). There you have an open "expressway" all the way to the aft of the ship if that's where you want to go...or you can enter the back to the central of the ship.

2.) For a pool that is a lot less crowded, try the Terrace Pool on deck 14 aft. There is a door at the end of each hallway that leads to the pool area. The pool doesn't get used that much and you can use it at anytime of the day or night. And even if you don't use the pool, it's a great place to relax and you also have a great viewing area on the aft.

3.) There's a "secret" door that leads out to a deck above the bridge. It's far forward on the Lido deck, but the doors are locked on sea days because it's too windy and dangerous then. Great place to view the entering and leaving of ports.

4.) Eight times around the jogging track on Deck 19 equals 1 mile.

5.) Walk-around Promenade is primarily on Deck 7, with stairs up to Deck 8 for a "king of the world" turn about the bow to complete the circuit.

6.) The Spa pool is adults only and is FREE to use. This includes the sauna, steam room, and showers in the ladies and gents. There are towels and flip-flops available for use and a lot of passengers are not aware of it.

7.) They have FREE dance lessons on the ship!! You can learn to cha cha, rumba, salsa, and ballroom dance.

Foods to Remember on the ship

***As of June 1, 2009, ice cream will now be FREE!!!

International Cafe:

1.) FREE at lunch time from noon to 2:00 pm.

2.) Delicious gelato, (offered at a very low price given the quality) tapas ($4) and pastries, sandwiches, great shrimp, and Greek salads (FREE). It seemed to be the best kept secret on the ship.

Room Service:

1.) You can order a whole pizza to your cabin but there is a $3.00 charge.

Explorers Lounge:

1.) Margaritas are LARGE!!

Dining Room:

1.) Arriving passengers can also enjoy a full dining room lunch, in addition to the ship's Horizon Court buffet.

2.) You can get ice cream as dessert for both lunch and dinner.

3.) The Volcano, a large banana split, is available upon request for dessert.

4.) Shrimp cocktail is always available at dinner, regardless of whether it's on the menu or not.

5.) If you would prefer a cheese plate or veggies instead of bread before dinner, just ask.

6.) You can ask your waiter for escargot for the whole cruise and he will bring it to you.

7.) You can have your dessert from dinner sent to your cabin.

8.) Full service breakfast and lunch is served in all 3 dining rooms.

Horizon Court:

1.) "Make your own sundaes", is available from 3:30 to 4:30 each afternoon (except on embarkation day).

2.) Smoked salmon (lox) is available for breakfast every day. If you don't see it, just ask.

3.) At breakfast you can ask at the bar for FREE cranberry, tomato, pineapple, prune juice and etc.

4.) At breakfast, you can get eggs to order or an omelet by asking at the break in the middle of the hot food line.

5.) Lemonade is available FREE of charge but you may have to ask for it.

6.) There is a full menu of items available to be ordered in the Horizon Court late at night, at the front, center location.

7.) There is a fresh made waffle station for breakfast at the ice cream bar by the pool.

Wheelhouse Bar:

1.) On sea days from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm, an English Pub Lunch is available forFREE. Offerings include fish & chips, bangers & mash, ploughman's lunch and cottage pie.

Misc:

1.) FREE fresh cookies and ICE COLD milk at 4:00 pm by the pool.

2.) Afternoon tea is served in one of the dining rooms from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm on sea days.

3.) Milk (whole, 2%, or skim) is available for free in the buffet, dining rooms and specialty restaurants.

4.) Coffee Cards are available at most of the lounges and are good for 15 espresso based drinks such as espresso, cappuchino, lattes - each one costing a "punch" against one of the 15 coffee cups surrounding the border of the card. If you love espresso, order a double and they only punch once, so you get two for one that way!

In addition, any card with punches remaining is good for free unlimited brewed coffee in the lounges, hot chocolate, and specialty teas (in silk bags) in the lounges. They are also transferable if you don't use all the punches on this cruise, just save it for the next!

Since we have already experienced one of the coldest winters of recent history, we are looking forward to some warm weather in Feb.

GVBEME

Just got off the Ruby - pretty much liked everything except onboard wifi and tendering to Princess Cays.

Really liked the Mexican lunch at the Cafe Caribe. Check the patter.

If you are booked on the deck I think you are (Dolphin?), I believe your balcony is completely uncovered.

We made the "mistake" of booking a mini-suite. Now, I don't think I can ever go in a regular cabin again. Ruby is very elegant, and the attention to detail is amazing. This was our first time on Princess, and we are already booked again this year on the Royal Princess for the Baltics. You will love princess. Here is a photo of the atrium.

DSC_5434.jpg

International Cafe:

1.) FREE at lunch time from noon to 2:00 pm. Same food is availble throught the afternoon and into the evening.

2.) Delicious gelato, (offered at a very low price given the quality) tapas ($4) and pastries, sandwiches, great shrimp, and Greek salads (FREE). It seemed to be the best kept secret on the ship. Tapas and any other food that used to have a cost (other than gelato) is no longer offered at the IC. Gelato is still offered at a good price.

Horizon Court:

1.) "Make your own sundaes", is available from 3:30 to 4:30 each afternoon (except on embarkation day). Not for several years. It was eliminated when the ice cream counter near the pool started serving free soft-serve.

4.) Coffee Cards......In addition, any card with punches remaining is good for free unlimited brewed coffee in the lounges, hot chocolate, and specialty teas (in silk bags) in the lounges. With the new coffee card introduced about a year ago you no longer need a remaining punch to obtain the free unlimited items you mention on the voyage the card is purchased.

see above in red

We enjoyed our b2b cruises on the Ruby last month. The cruise director's staff members were great. Can't say the same about him. He was one of the least visible cruise directors I've ever seen. Unfortunately I don't think one of the highlights for our cruises will be there in March--Commodore Romano.

One of our favorite things about the Ruby (and Crown and Emerald) is Adagio's. It's a great place to meet friends for a before-dinner drink. Just don't tell too many people.

having sailed Carnival a lot and Princess a few times-- we need the mini suite because the regular balcony is just small in comparing what we had on Carnival. Cabin felt so much smaller. I LOVE the sitting area with the sofa and small table.

I just booked the Ruby for March 20th and many many mini suites are available-- but none on the Emerald deck which are covered.

The mini on dolphin deck are all opened to the people above.

After many cruises on carnival-- I was truly wow'd on princess from minute one

Thank all of you for the very helpful information. We are booked now but I ended up getting an Aft Balcony instead of the Mini-Suite. I am looking forward to trying Princess out and these suggestions are a great source of information for me....thanks again.

Thank all of you for the very helpful information. We are booked now but I ended up getting an Aft Balcony instead of the Mini-Suite. I am looking forward to trying Princess out and these suggestions are a great source of information for me....thanks again.

I LOVED the aft balcony-- always tried C753 on my sailings.

its amazing (but no sofa

Please give me your opinions of the Ruby Princess.

Hi, Warm Breezes! I just got off the Ruby on Monday, and I'm in the process of writing my review. I still have some more things to write about, but overall, it was wonderful!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1980293

Edited by Dreamer333

We made the "mistake" of booking a mini-suite. Now, I don't think I can ever go in a regular cabin again.

I know your pain!!! We had our first mini on the Crown last year. Guess what? No going back! I just LOVED the bigger bathroom with tub, and DH loved the sofa and extra TV. But we also made a "mistake".... we were in the second-to-aft cabin on Dolphin, and peeked around the balcony divider to the last-to-aft balcony (the wrap around one)....WOW! HUGE!! So guess what we booked for this year on the Ruby? :D

Nope..... no going back for us!

Peg