Define luxury on Oceania

ClairetoCruise

They are probably still getting over jet lag but not to worry they will have their opinions :D

As someone who cruised Regent almost exclusively for 10 years, I have jumped ship to Oceania; I think it's a lovely line. Food is very good, well presented with options to select anything I want in terms of services and amenities on board. I can eat when I want without fixed seating - a priority for me.

Ambiance does not require coats/ties and formal wear; Passengers are well educated and fun to be with - and without a snob factor. Ship's activities keep me entertained - if I want them.I once read that most people will choose a vacation based on the level of luxury in which they live at home. The ships are quite comfortable - the old and the newer ships. The art is lovely - some of it not my personal taste - but well appointed. The crew gets it's mission of wanting to have passengers satisfied.

I have only heard one person not be able to order something onboard she wanted - a grilled cheese sandwich.

We sailed in the Penthouse for 28 days last month. When I walked in the cabin took my breath away - I thought it was lovely.

I am sure you will find something wrong if you want to nitpick. On any line, in any travel venue. Nothing is perfection all the time. For me, our last cruise was pretty close to it. (except for the part where I thought I sprained my ankle and have come to find I broke it - but that was out touring on my own)

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

After many cruises, we tried Oceania last year for the first time. We enjoyed O as much for what it did not have, as much as for what it did:

- the lack of lines everywhere, except tendering, which was a mess

- the lack of nickel and diming for every little thing

- the lack of constant announcements and sales pressure

- the lack of photographers

- lack of kids

- a beverage policy that allows wine to be brought aboard

- high end pool chaises and plenty of towels; no chair games

- lack of stupid pool games and loud music

- an MDR that is quiet and elegant versus loud and frenetic

That almost sounds like a reference to particular people who have been far away on a Regent cruise. Not being very smart, I have no idea to whom you are referring. (probably)

I fear sir, that you infer, where LHT28 did not imply. :eek:

I honestly don't mean to denigrate anyone elses' favorite cruise line(s), or their business plans, but I've always found the all inclusive concept to be more than slightly ridiculous.

In fact, a complete affectation.

On the order of pretending that ones' cleaning lady is simply a treasured friend, with whom you feel comfortable entrusting the joys of your soiled laundry and dirty bathrooms.

Don't quite get what you mean. No pretending on an all inclusive. You get no bill for all these extras that you pay for on most of the other cruises. A nice touch for some people. But that said I still think O is a better way for us to go. Their food tops all the others along with the other great things they have to offer. :)

DavidTheWonderer, If you were a regular on the Regent board, you would know that LHT28 is actually referring to a "She" who is still getting over jet lag.

you might think that ..I could not possibly comment;)

For me luxury on a cruise is not feeling crowded, rushed, not standing in line for most things and being able to sit where I want when I want, ware what I want within reason and eat when I want. Oceania provides this most of the time. The AI doesn't matter to me that much. I like that Oceamia has it for all drinks except booze and the shore trips are pay as you go however I think they miss the mark by charging so much for things that are not included. There really is no formula that makes all happy however I think Oceania has a mix to make most happy.

That almost sounds like a reference to particular people who have been far away on a Regent cruise. Not being very smart, I have no idea to whom you are referring. (probably)
Please do not give out her "Handle" or alert her to this board. This board is so layed back compared to the Regent board, you've gotta love it....:D We cruise both Regent&Oceania and enjoy both of them for their unique excellence. Have cruised both Crystal ships in their so called luxurious Penthouse suites with Veranda and would not trade for either Regent or Oceania, regardless of accommodations...Just sayin...

JimandStan,

I couldn't disagree more that being all inclusive is an affectation. It is a luxury to order whatever you want whenever you want without giving it a second thought. It's certainly no more affected than having a butler.

I honestly don't mean to denigrate anyone elses' favorite cruise line(s), or their business plans, but I've always found the all inclusive concept to be more than slightly ridiculous.

In fact, a complete affectation.

On the order of pretending that ones' cleaning lady is simply a treasured friend, with whom you feel comfortable entrusting the joys of your soiled laundry and dirty bathrooms.

Very funny. When you put like that, I see the foolishness in the whole thing. The real advantage is keeping your card in your pocket. The dark side is you keep the card there when you pay in advance for things you don't do. For example, on Regent, we took private tours anyway. I find you two both informative and amusing. Thanks.

Mary

JimandStan,

I couldn't disagree more that being all inclusive is an affectation. It is a luxury to order whatever you want whenever you want without giving it a second thought. It's certainly no more affected than having a butler.

Except, if what I want is to experience ports through my own eyes and ears, rather than being talked at by tour guide reciting rote through a wireless receiver to 20 other people.....I would rather have my fingernails pulled, than experience that luxury on vacation.

Except, if what I want is to experience ports through my own eyes and ears, rather than being talked at by tour guide reciting rote through a wireless receiver to 20 other people.....I would rather have my fingernails pulled, than experience that luxury on vacation.

So true. Our BUS days are long over and we certainly don't want to pay for others bus tours.

Edited by orchestrapal

I ve been getting them inc.in my O cruises from my TA.Get free gratuites,OBC, don t need drinks pkg.Then a 5% cash back for booking "luxury"line)or premium(definition??).

I never used the air pkg.(prefer to do on own and get discount).

Like to do SOME shore excursions with ship(depending on port and country)but like to have a choice.

Have been on Regent(twice) and had problems with the Voyager vibration.Did love the Mariner,but it limited my cruising choices.

So now have done 2 O s and have another booked this Dec.

My advice,give the different lines a try,look at itinerary choice.After cruising 20 yrs.I m getting limited in just ONE cruiseline.

To each his own,right?;)

Oceania is a Premium line not a luxury line. There is a big difference on luxury lines. Mostly in price. But Oceania is upmarket compared to mass market like Celebrity and Princess. cabin space, food and service seem to be the criteria that classification is based on.

Edited by dorisis

Oceania is a Premium line not a luxury line. There is a big difference on luxury lines. Mostly in price. But Oceania is upmarket compared to mass market like Celebrity and Princess. cabin space, food and service seem to be the criteria that classification is based on.

Thanks to Doris for the information. We're on the mailing lists for both Regent (a "luxury" line) and Oceania (a "premium" line). We were beginning to think that the difference was mostly about the number of mailings ("luxury" much more than "premium"), and the amount of deceptive pricing claims in the brochures (again "luxury" much more than "premium"). But now the owner of both, Apollo, has bought Chuck. E. Cheese. I'm wondering where they fit into the "luxury" versus "premium" discussion.

Please remember that I'm not very smart, so the answers to my questions may be obvious to the rest of you.

I have never understood why some Regent folks think signing for a drink is not luxury.

What happens at the Four Seasons, the Ritz Carlton, the Peninsula in Hong Kong, Raffles in Singapore, Regency in New York?

Are your drinks included -- or do you have to sign?

Have those hotels become all inclusive?

It is a totally specious argument IMO.

I agree with having my nails pulled before I'd take a "free" excursion on Regent bus.

Please do not give out her "Handle" or alert her to this board. This board is so layed back compared to the Regent board, you've gotta love it....:D We cruise both Regent&Oceania and enjoy both of them for their unique excellence. Have cruised both Crystal ships in their so called luxurious Penthouse suites with Veranda and would not trade for either Regent or Oceania, regardless of accommodations...Just sayin...

You are so unkind. Did you not read the Host's lovely post at the beginning of the New Year? The old saying applies here, if you cannot say anything nice, it is best to say nothing.

pacheco18: IMO, it is not the signing part that makes a ship luxury (or not). "Signing" is just a nuisance to some people. For us, a vacation means paying one price (whatever the cost is) and not thinking about $$$ again. Also, I have seen people treated "differently" based on the level of stateroom they are staying in. The moment you hand over your room key, your "level" is known. On all-inclusive lines, if someone should notice the color of your room key, all they would learn is the approximate number of times you have cruised on that particular line.

The basic size of the staterooms/suites are larger on luxury lines (at least on the newer ships). Special areas designed for passengers in a certain category or above does not exist. Ships tend to be smaller (Crystal is an exception to some rules but their ships were built a while ago).

IMO (and I have only sailed Oceania once with another sailing booked), Oceania is an interesting mix of luxury and premium. The Riviera is the most beautiful ship I have seen. The specialty restaurants are no doubt the best at sea. The penthouse and above suites are so well thought out and extremely comfortable. Service on the Riviera is complete luxury.

The other side of the coin? Some staterooms are very small (however, they are lovely and the single cabins would, IMO, fit in well on a luxury ship). The ship is a bit large for the intimacy that many luxury cruisers prefer. Perhaps due to the size of the ship, the Terrace Cafe is large and has the feel of a premium rather than luxury cruise line. This is just my opinion and certainly others may feel differently.

I will never understand the obvious benefit issues on Oceania. I see no reason why there must be an exclusive area for passengers in upper level cabins to have coffee and watch television. I can see no reason why boarding can not be first come, first served. In terms of benefits that guests receive within the confines of their cabin (ordering dinner in their suite from specialty restaurants for isntance) is the same as benefits on luxury cruise lines. Having the ability to book the specialty restaurants more than once is another "invisible" benefit.

From reading the Oceania boards for the past year or so, I see many new cruisers on Oceania from mainstream and premium cruise lines. Oceania seems to be a wonderful departure from huge ships with loud music, etc. I'm always interested to read reviews from first time cruisers. For some it seems to be a culture shock (where are the photographers, etc.) Others appreciate the beauty, calmness and serenity of Oceania.

I suppose that we are now luxury cruisers who enjoy and appreciate Oceania. There are differences but for us, we have learned to accept and sometimes even embrace them.

is best to say nothing.

pacheco18: IMO, it is not the signing part that makes a ship luxury (or not). "Signing" is just a nuisance to some people. For us, a vacation means paying one price (whatever the cost is) and not thinking about $$$ again. Also, I have seen people treated "differently" based on the level of stateroom they are staying in. The moment you hand over your room key, your "level" is known.

I have sailed on O in an Outside and in a Suite.

I have been treated the same no matter what cabin I am in -- like royalty. LOL

I have friends who only sail INSIDE cabins and they report spectacular treatment.

Paying one price and not having to think about $$$ doesn't equate to luxury -- think "Sandals" in Jamaica and all those all-inclusive resorts. I just do not understand how "signing" for a drink detracts from anyone's vacation or makes it less luxurious.