Live from the Riviera -- January 13th

What A Market

Hi Catherine: The sea day schedule I posted was from Day 2. I'm not sure if there was a Cooking Demo on Day 1, as I didn't keep the schedule. Our last two days of the cruise are sea days as well, so I will try to note schedule for those days.

I booked two Oceania excursions for this cruise. The second one was called Snorkel At Marine Park and took place today while we were in Castries, St. Lucia. Another great operator. The catamaran that took us to the Marine Park was tied up immediately next to the Riviera. Took about forty minutes to get to the dive site. I think we were about 25 people. There was a lot of rum punch after snorkeling and some great music playing to get everyone dancing. It was definitely a party boat on the trip back to the Riviera.

The first excursion we did was the Eco-fantasies Kayak and Snorkel tour. I think I touched on this earlier in thread. Again though, it was really well done.

Trivia note: I think everyone participating in afternoon trivia is happy that it is now held in Martinis. David P. runs a tight ship. Trivia runs like a clock and it definitely doesn't interfere with the start of happy hour.

Edited by What A Market

Thanks for the speedy response, What A Market.

To Mura - On our Dec 2nd cruise it was at 11:15am on our first sea day but we only had one sea day on the way down. With this cruise having 2 sea days on the way down, I was wondering if they waited til second sea day. Possible though that they have a cooking demo on both sea days.

Catherine

Catherine,

It may well depend on the specific cruise and how many sea days you have.

Our recent cruise (departing Barcelona on Nov 20) was a transatlantic, so we had lots of sea days. I think we had three or four of those demos and all were at 11:00 but one of them MIGHT have been 11:15. They were squeezing in lots of enrichment activities in the mornings.

Going back to earlier cruises where we only had one sea day on the entire cruise, the demo was probably on that sea day ... but I don't remember the specific time. I just know it wasn't later than say 11:15 or 11:30. Definitely NOT in the afternoon.

Oceania might be able to answer this question for since your cruise is leaving soon. (When I've been booking a year and a half in advance on our last three cruises, two months seems to qualify as "soon"!)

Mura

On our recent 10 day cruise there were 2 sea days -- the first full day and the next to last day. The cooking demo was on the next to last day. I am not certain that there were firm plans to have a cooking demo on the cruise -- from speaking with my friend, the Food & Beverage Manager, I got the sense that they do not plan these events that far ahead, so you may not be able to get information ahead of time. Of course, I could be wrong, but it just seemed that way to me.

Like Mura, on my one transatlantic cruise we had several cooking demos -- a real highlight for me.

Poolside scene while in port at Gustavia. I guess it's typical for a Caribbean cruise, but lounge chairs, particularly in shade, can be impossible to find.

9805FABA-EF9E-4F82-91D4-D6287129A801-2767-00000447D611D62F_zpsacb49e57.jpg

By the way, the seared ahi tuna sandwich served at the Waves Grill is amazing. The tuna is of a very good quality and seared a perfect rare.

Edited by What A Market

Sea Day! Number three for this cruise, and what better way to start it than with a visit to Baristas. Attached is a photo of Matteo from Roma, Italy. On each of my cruises on the O ships, the guys in Baristas have made the trip for me. First there was Frederich on the Marina, and then Gianni on my first trip on the Riviera, and now Matteo. Each of these gentlemen are great ambassadors from Oceania and the image it works to project.

A419920F-3C9D-4727-A88B-E0C94E6367D1-2872-00000465A1ED44C2_zpsd5cf8c20.jpg

On the preceding Mayan cruise, the crew efficiently moved any books, etc. intended to hold a chaise if the owners were absent for over 30 minutes. So if you wait a few minutes chairs will open up.

Sitting in FLL after a very smooth disembarkation from the Port of Miami. We had an 8:15AM "get off the boat" time slot. David P. called our color/number exactly at 8:15. Walked down staircase to Deck 6 and we were through the ship's security in less than five minutes.

Took one minute to find suitcases and less than five minutes to clear customs.

We were the only ship in port, which I knew from previous research. Took one minute to get transportation for FLL. Drive from port to FLL took about 30 minutes.

A very civilized conclusion to Oceania's very civilized style of cruising.

Sitting in FLL after a very smooth disembarkation from the Port of Miami. We had an 8:15AM "get off the boat" time slot. David P. called our color/number exactly at 8:15. Walked down staircase to Deck 6 and we were through the ship's security in less than five minutes.

Took one minute to find suitcases and less than five minutes to clear customs.

We were the only ship in port, which I knew from previous research. Took one minute to get transportation for FLL. Drive from port to FLL took about 30 minutes.

A very civilized conclusion to Oceania's very civilized style of cruising.

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. I want to be sitting in Baristas every morning at 7am like you but my body hates to get up that early lol.

Catherine

First Happy Anniversary!!! Second,are they letting people off ships if docked before 9. Oceania told my TA we would not be let off ship until 9 after their excursions departed. I want to schedule a private excursion in St. Lucia but they leave at 9. Don't want to be left at the docks. Thanks for the updates. Doing the same cruise soon. Glad to know the music gets better in the afternoon and is my kind of music and to whatch out for chair hogs. Enjoy your cruise, I will be reading

I cannot be definitive here, but in my 10 Oceania cruises we've never had to wait until *all* the ship's tours have left.

Just get to the sign-in place early. If can be more difficult if you have a group, not just yourselves.

And if you are just a couple (or even a small group), you can usually sneak in on one of the tenders intended for the tours. They tend not to fill them up with ship's people.

But again, sign in early.

Another thought ... we've only done a couple of Caribbean cruises, and I remember no problem at all at St. Lucia but then again, we just went out to hire a cab. So we may not have been trying to leave early ... the only time I had a real problem was on Marina in Sorrento when I listened to the Destinations person who said "come at 8:30" when she should have said "come at 8". Some of our group of 8 got off at 8 or 8:15, the others of us were rather later. So we missed some time on our tour, but it wasn't a disaster.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I have NEVER EVER encountered a situation while all non-tour people had to wait until all the tour people were off the ship. Not even when we were in a tender port.

Was I lucky?

Mura

P.S. Some have said that if you have a "gold" card, you can get on any tender by just going there. I haven't tried it myself, don't think I would. But if you are in a suite, it might be worth an effort if you're really worried about meeting your guide on time.

I cannot be definitive here, but in my 10 Oceania cruises we've never had to wait until *all* the ship's tours have left.

Just get to the sign-in place early. If can be more difficult if you have a group, not just yourselves.

And if you are just a couple (or even a small group), you can usually sneak in on one of the tenders intended for the tours. They tend not to fill them up with ship's people.

But again, sign in early.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I have NEVER EVER encountered a situation while all non-tour people had to wait until all the tour people were off the ship. Not even when we were in a tender port.

Was I lucky?

Mira

P.S. Some have said that if you have a "gold" card, you can get on any tender by just going there. I haven't tried it myself, don't think I would. But if you are in a suite, it might be worth an effort if you're really worried about meeting your guide on time.

Our experience is that the Gold Card will always get you on any tender. We normally do not go down early but have never had a problem when we have done so.

First Happy Anniversary!!! Second,are they letting people off ships if docked before 9. Oceania told my TA we would not be let off ship until 9 after their excursions departed. I want to schedule a private excursion in St. Lucia but they leave at 9. Don't want to be left at the docks. Thanks for the updates. Doing the same cruise soon. Glad to know the music gets better in the afternoon and is my kind of music and to whatch out for chair hogs. Enjoy your cruise, I will be reading

I think your TA may be confused. First, not all excursions depart before 9. If the ship is docked, you don't have to wait for anyone; there will be an announcement once the ship has been cleared. The folks on excursions will be meeting in the theater lounge to get their bus or boat assignments, but independents can just exit the ship anytime after clearance is achieved.

If it's a tender port, Oceania does two things simultaneously -- hand out excursion assignments, and issue colored tender tickets for independent guest on a first come basis. They will place their excursion guests on early tenders, but they will also allow independent guests to fill in the space. You go to the theater, get a colored tender ticket and wait until called. If you are early, you may well be on the very first tender, regardless of excursions.

After a sufficient period, after excursions have been handled and all early tender tickets have left the ship, an announcement will be made for "open tendering", at which point you will no longer need a tender ticket; just leave at your convenience. The time for this varies.

All return tenders are "open".

Thanks sooo much for your advice. We will check out where we dock ( tender or port)and follow your advice for either situation. I believe besides us there is a P&O ship also docking that morning. Thanks again.

What sailing are you on? There are various ways to find out how many ships are in port with you. Also if you check the itinerary on the Oceania website it usually shows what ports are tendered. It may not always work out that way but it's a good guide to go by.

Back home and one full day of work behind me, and I am still hanging onto a bit of the peace and serenity gained from spending ten days on the Riviera. It has been a longtime since I did a cruise in the Caribbean, but unlike the mostly frantic pace of a European cruise, floating around in the Caribbean was wonderfully relaxing.

It is interesting reading Lyn's comments from the cruise we shared. I am also looking forward to reading RachelG's ongoing comments from the Riviera's current cruise. I plan on posting more thoughts on my experiences to my "live" thread later, but here are some quick comments:

1.) I have a soft spot for Oceania based on the two amazing trips I did in 2006 and 2012 with my children. The experiences we shared on the Regatta and the Riviera are priceless to me.

2.) As has been the case with each of my previous Oceania cruises, some of the crew members on this cruise really enhanced the time I spent on the Riviera. Big shout out to Andrew from South Africa in the MDR; Matteo from Italy in Baristas; and our butler, Lincoln from India.

3.) Once again, I met some absolutely amazing fellow passengers and shared some great time together. Looking back over I guess now 20 plus cruises on five or six cruise lines, my four cruises with Oceania have provided, by far, the best times I've spent with fellow passengers. To Robert and Susan from London: Thank you for the time we spent together. It was truly special. I hope our paths cross again soon.

So I guess for me, the main pleasure I get from traveling is the interaction and time spent with other people, whether they be family members, crew members, or fellow passengers. My thanks go out to Oceania from enhancing these moments.

Tom

too bad we did not get to meet your daughters they sound like amazing girls

We did love the cruise with a few exceptions

This cruise was all about relaxing & that we did

Maybe we will sail with you another time on Oceania

Lyn