Live from the Riviera -- January 13th

What A Market

The duck and watermelon salad in Red Ginger just sounds weird to me, but I will give it a go next week. Now the miso glazed sea bass sounds just down my alley and I am very much looking forward to trying it. Glad to hear that the standards are as high as ever.

The duck and watermelon salad in Red Ginger just sounds weird to me, but I will give it a go next week.

That is exactly what I thought first time around (I love both the watermelon and crispy duck, but I usually think of them separately).

To my big surprise I did like it very much (though I would be even happier with just the crispy duck and then watermelon for dessert :D)

Interesting. I read all the comments on Roy Perez before the cruise. Guess what? He's not the Cruise Director on this cruise. I think it's someone by the name of David Peterson. I don't think I've ever seen a comment mentioning him. Has anyone had him as their CD?

We had David Peterson as our CD on a 21 day Regatta in August/September and he was fine. A very dry sense of humor so is sometimes a bit offputting. And not the friendliest guy around. However, he is extremely organized and runs an excellent cruise. And, he was very close to the end of his long contract and was probably getting a bit weary. Perhaps he's a little fresher now!

IMO - he was still better than Roy Perez who was annoying with his nearly fake enthusiam over "GLORIOUS" weather daily and his standard joke about being an Iceburg which he told at every opportunity.

My favorite way to have dinner in Red Ginger is have a party of 8 and eat family style..we have tried everything on the menu in the many times we have eaten there and cant tell you our favorites as we love them all...

Only a little over 4 months until our New York to London!!! (But a short Azamara 8 day first)

Jancruz1

Jan,

Will he happy to join you for such a meal in RG in May. Our two times there we didn't have people who wanted to "share" and so we continued not to be really happy there.

But I'm always game to try again!

Mura

I agree with Laraine's comment on David P. His humor is exceptionally dry and a touch caustic. Here's how he opened today's trivia session: "You people really need to get a life." Which was followed by "But I'm here too, so what does that say about me." I enjoy his humor at trivia. There are sly jokes delivered throughout the game, particularly when he he is reading off answers provided by the players. He is clearly in command of the stage though, and does seem to tolerate any casual banter with his "audience."

when I ordered the menu prescribed by JimandStan: First course was the sushi and sashimi combo; Second course was the duck and watermelon salad; Final course was the miso sea bass. I was blown away with my first time in Red Ginger. Last night's experience may have topped the first time.

OMG, Tom, what a MEMORY YOU HAVE! I'll have to mainline the Ginkgo Biloba just to keep in the running. :D

Jan,

Will he happy to join you for such a meal in RG in May. Our two times there we didn't have people who wanted to "share" and so we continued not to be really happy there.

But I'm always game to try again!

Mura

You got it Mura we are on with 8 people..

Jancruz1

Yeah Jim, and I know what you chase that Ginkgo with. Haaaaaa!

It's so wrong.....

A person has six or eight innocent little cocktails to brighten up an evening

-and right away people start doubting my health regimen :p

mad-men-cocktails-ftr.jpg

Cheers, Tom! (but no clinking glasses! :eek: )

Say hello to Heidi and Shannon for us. Is Shannon still with her SO who was such a good sport during that show when he got "picked" on?

We are looking forward to seeing you on the New York to London trip.

Cenia and Glen

I think it's Friday morning, 7:00AM drifting gently into St. John's, Antigua as I sit in Baristas drinking macchiatos. I'll stress again, the view in Baristas is perfect. The macchiatos, as crafted by the able hands of Matteo, are perfect as well.

Shout out to Pam (screen name CintiPam) for coordinating our M&G. We originally scheduled our meeting for early evening on our second day on board (first sea day), but We had to reschedule due to a conflict with the Captain's party. Meeting was held the following day at 11:00AM in the Horizons Lounge , and attended by maybe 35 Cruise Critic members.

We had first time cruisers, first time Oceania cruisers, and a monster Cruise Critic poster (Lyn of LHT28). Great group with lots of interesting insights shared on cruising. Thanks again Pam!

Hi Paul: I will make sure to pass along your greetings to Pam and Lyn. Thanks for your note on the comments from the MV.

Cenia And Glen: Really nice to hear from you. I've passed along your "hellos" to Heidi and Shannon. Blaine is still a part of Shannon's life. He has continued to do a great job helping take care of Shannon in her latest tango with the big C.

Some thoughts on ports:

We did Tortola on our own. We were in port with a monster Carnival ship and were docked along side. Pretty funny looking at the Oceania passengers and Carnival passengers disembark together. We elected to go over to Virgin Gorda at noon. Smart choice because the Carnival crowd was sailing at 3:00. As such, we had the Baths practically to ourselves. My first time there, so was happy to experience without the crowds. I spoke to people that went in the morning and they said it was a zoo.

I booked a excursion through the ship for Antigua. Gasp! I know, how could I commit such a blunder as a somewhat experienced cruiser and lurker on Cruise Critic??? The tour was the Eco-Fantasies Kayak and Snorkel excursion. It was great. We were broken into two groups of fifteen. Met some other avid divers. Had a blast.

Ciao for now.

Here is list of daily activities for a day at sea:

9:00AM: Shore Excursion Presentation

9:30AM: Outdoor Croquet Competition

9:30AM: Coffee Chat & Needlepoint

9:30AM: Beginners Bridge

10:00AM: Magic Class with guest magician

10:00AM: Guest Enrichment Lecture

10:30AM: Table Tennis

11:00AM: Paddle Tennis Players Meet

11:00AM: Intermediate Bridge

11:15AM: Canyon Ranch Spa Seminar

11:15AM: Cooking Demonstration with Chef Christophe

12:00PM: Lunchtime Bingo

12:00PM: Live Music with band

1:30PM: Wine Tasting ($25 fee)

2:00PM: World Gold Putting Tournament

2:00PM: Duplicate & Social Bridge

2:00PM: The Wonderful World of Mosaic on Canvas with Artist in Residence

2:00PM: Dance Class with Ballroom Champions

2:00PM: Boutique Presentation

2:15PM: Another Spa Presentation

3:00PM: Shuffleboard Competition

3:00PM: Shopping Lecture

3:15PM: Another Spa Presentation

3:30PM: Martini Tasting

4:00PM: Afternoon Tea

4:45PM: Trivia (Held in Riviera Lounge, but David P has now moved to Martinis.)

That's just the daytime activities.

Trivia is being held in Martinis every day. It didn't really bother me how the set up worked in the Riviera Lounge, but it is easier to socialize with your teammates sitting around a table in Martinis than sitting in the theatre seats in the Lounge. There are usually seven to eight teams participating in the afternoon trivia, with seven to eight team members on each team.

Another note about trivia, as Jim and Don can attest, DW takes her trivia games seriously. That being said, Holy Crap some of the people participating in trivia on this cruise are taking the "game" way way too seriously -- arguing answers repeatedly with David P., arguing scoring with other teams, etc. So much for relaxing while on vacation....

I like the idea of trivia in Martinis. Is there just the late afternoon session, or is there one in the evening as well? I too take my trivia pretty seriously. Have been know to argue with a judge from time to time, but only if I am totally sure I am right.

A dissenting view here. On the Riviera on our last cruise the late evening trivia was in Martinis - nice in some ways but sight lines are dreadful which impaired play for some teams some times. Would be ok at late trivia, but with the big crowds at tea time trivia, could be rugged. Also infringes on the start of Happy Hour - bummer.

Edited by Toranut97

Well, it's Sunday morning and I'm in my perch at Baristas watching the ship glide gently into port at Castries, St Lucia. Speaking of gently, the seas were very calm last night. Someone comments last night that we were going to be the only ship in port today. Wrong! There is a ship just outside the entrance to the harbor, looking as if it waiting its turn to dock.

This looks like our first day for rain. Almost completely overcast and the clouds are very thick and heavy.

A word for those of you who are gluten intolerant or Coeliac: I've noted this before on previous sailings with Oceania, but it bears repeating. These guys do a terrific job in catering to the needs of people on a special diet. If anything, Oceania has gotten even better with the food options. When we were on the Marina four years ago the gluten free food choices were plentiful, but it most cases the food would be served plain, without any sauces. On this cruise every dish Heidi has ordered looks almost exactly like the dish you would receive from the regular menu.

We eat in the Main Dining Room unless we are eating in the specialty restaurants. This is due to Heidi's gluten free menu planning. (This now happens two days in advance. It used to be done one day in advance.) I've requested to sit in the same section every evening. This has been accommodated. Why? Our server has been this great guy -- Andrew from South Africa. Engaging, funny, personable, but also professional. Misses his Mum.

Edited by What A Market

Question for "What a Market"

Was that Cooking Demo with Chef at 11:15am on the first sea day or second sea day?

We are on the the Mar 28 cruise and I want to see cooking demo and be able to go to Meet And Greet.

Thank you.

Catherine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD