Live from the Riviera -- January 13th

What A Market

Shout out to Pam (screen name CintiPam) for coordinating our M&G. We originally scheduled our meeting for early evening on our second day on board (first sea day), but We had to reschedule due to a conflict with the Captain's party. Meeting was held the following day at 11:00AM in the Horizons Lounge , and attended by maybe 35 Cruise Critic members.

We had first time cruisers, first time Oceania cruisers, and a monster Cruise Critic poster (Lyn of LHT28). Great group with lots of interesting insights shared on cruising. Thanks again Pam!

Four days after our cruise, and with laundry, grocery shopping, mail, email, snow shoveling, etc., I finally have checked out the Oceania board to read your blog; very well done, indeed. It was a pleasure meeting you and Heidi; hope we can sail together again.

We were so very fortunate to have great weather the entire cruise, and our disembarkation day in Miami was so temperate (high around 70) that I was able to enjoy my first visit to South Beach, including an Art Deco tour, without melting. We look forward to boarding Riviera again in May in Istanbul.

Thanks, Tom, for the CC shoutout! Unlike Lyn, Gerry and I really loved this cruise, but Oceania's lack of support for even scheduling a M&G was the worst ever on this cruise. First, the Executive Concierge gave me non-stop negativity about Oceania not recognizing us as a group, did not know whether he could schedule anything, etc., a litany of endless can'ts and no's that would have discouraged someone less determined than me!:). I kept repeating that we were 53 customers! Then when scheduled, Oceania did not clear any space or even move one chair in Horizons for our group nor did Oceania provide a server so we could imbibe. Then precisely one hour later, the Assistant CD physically evicted us from the room so that there would be silence for Bingo. How warm and friendly!

But aside from that and a few other nits, it was a fabulous experience. (We opted out of afternoon trivia after one experience with the many intense competitors who did not seem to realize they were on vacation! Evening trivia was much more relaxed.)

Hopefully, I will write a review in the next week.

We enjoyed this (our first) Caribbean cruise so much that while onboard, we signed up for next January's Mayan Mystique cruise on Riviera.

Edited by CintiPam

Unlike Lyn, Gerry and I really loved this cruise, but Oceania's lack of support for even scheduling a M&G was the worst ever on this cruise.

Pam just to clarify we did love the cruise with the exception of poor service & food in the specialties

Just like your interaction with the Concierge it was not pleasant

But this was something new for Oceania ;)

CIMG0020_zpsc87d7cb5.jpg

I guess somebody is not getting the message. I set up a Meet & Greet on Marina in November. The executive concierge couldn't have been more helpful. They set up a special area for us in Horizons and we had plenty of servers, not to mention nibbles to go along with our drinks.

Mura

Pam just to clarify we did love the cruise with the exception of poor service & food in the specialties

But this was something new for Oceania ;)

CIMG0020_zpsc87d7cb5.jpg

Was this for the Meet and Greet that Cintipam organized? I had the exact same experience as Pam on last March cruise - everything she said happened to me too. I would have been happy to see only that sign - we had to have someone stand at both entrances to Horizons to direct people to the M & G

Catherine

Was this for the Meet and Greet that Cintipam organized? I had the exact same experience as Pam on last March cruise - everything she said happened to me too. I would have been happy to see only that sign - we had to have someone stand at both entrances to Horizons to direct people to the M & G

Catherine

Yes the sign was for Pam's M & G

first time I saw that

Usually there is a small sign with "private function " then you have to guess if it is CC meeting or not ;)

Note that after my rather intense discussion with the Head Concierge (not Executive Concierge, as I mistakenly identified last night when posting so late), we did have invitations sent out by Oceania to all very promptly and indeed this lovely sign in Lyn's photograph appeared in Horizons at the time of our M&G.

It's odd, is it not, that simply comparing Mura's, cruisingxpert's and my recent M&G set-up experiences, that these vary so much cruise to cruise on Oceania.

However, I will not be organizing any further M&G's on Oceania.

;) Maybe Oceania doesn't like the CC groups because they use the boards to set up non 'O' tours. :rolleyes:

I doubt that has anything to do with it because, of course, they are not set up by CC just on CC.

I believe it's a matter of doing it for one group, and there are others, they would have to do it for all. We have never had a problem meeting our group without the help of O. Our groups, however, we're never very large, 12-25 max. On the R ships.

Edited by orchestrapal

Lyn, if you review the first few posts you wrote in the thread you started, that certainly is not the impression one would get.

However, I am very glad to read that you indeed loved the cruise with just some exceptions. Gerry and I certainly loved the Agapey chocolate factory tour you arranged, and I would recommend it to any who have a port day Barbardos.

Today is the coldest day I remember in my lifetime. My classes were cancelled so I do not have to leave the house at all!:D Hope you are staying warm and cozy in the frigid north.

I doubt that has anything to do with it because, of course, they are not set up by CC just on CC.

I believe it's a matter of doing it for one group, and there are others, they would have to do it for all. We have never had a problem meeting our group without the help of O. Our groups, however, we're never very large, 12-25 max. On the R ships.

I agree that is was the very large size of our group that required Oceania's assistance. With so many, we logically only could meet in Horizons and, therefore, I believed we at least needed Oceania's cooperation. I never had more than 30 people in the past.

I believe it's a matter of doing it for one group, and there are others, they would have to do it for all.

They certainly don't seem to have any trouble setting it up for various alumni groups and such.

It could be a good money maker if they set up bar and sold drinks.

They certainly don't seem to have any trouble setting it up for various alumni groups and such.

It could be a good money maker if they set up bar and sold drinks.

I agree. I told the Head Concierge that we all certainly understood that we would pay for any drinks ordered (I had mentioned that several times on the roll call), so I was very surprised that there was no one there to take any orders. In the past, even for my much smaller "R" ship groups, Oceania always arranged for someone to take drink orders.

Edited by CintiPam

I'm going on the Riviera later this year. What was the internet like on the ship? Decent speeds or slow at times

thanks

Graham

Have you ever seen a television commercial with a snail (representing DSL vs. cable)? The snail is definitely like the internet on most ships. It really depends upon how many people are on (fastest times are early in the morning and late at night). Where you are in the world affects the speed as well. There are some places with no internet access at all.

I'm going on the Riviera later this year. What was the internet like on the ship? Decent speeds or slow at times

thanks

Graham

Are you old enough to remember dial up? There you go.

...<snip>...I believe it's a matter of doing it for one group, and there are others, they would have to do it for all...

They certainly don't seem to have any trouble setting it up for various alumni groups and such...

Orchestrapal, that is exactly the explanation I have received from very high sources.

Paulchili, that actually reinforces what orchestrapal said; alumni groups, travel agent groups, wine groups and such actually pay for the setups. Oceania would be more than happy to set up private meetings for Cruise Critic groups if they were willing to pay the same rates. Doing it for us for free would lead the others to expect the same treatment, especially since those sorts of groups actually increase the number of guests aboard, while CC is just a random gathering of already booked guests.

Used the internet for the first time on our last cruise. Although certainly not as fast as DSL, at least for e-mail connections it is much faster than dialup once initial connection is made. Didn't do much web surfing (not at those prices) so that may be slower, especially if you are seeking pages with lots of pictures, popups, etc. but for keeping in touch with office, family etc. it was fine and I was pleasantly surprised.