Cunard QE vs HAL comparison

Mumsysailor

As can be seen from my signature, our first 4 cruises have been with HAL and we are very comfortable with the brand. During last year, following the announcement about the new wine policy, we started to look at what other lines might be comparable and booked a 14 night cruise with Celebrity which was recommended by friends. Last month we were looking for somewhere to go for a short post-Christmas break and I came upon a 4 night mini-cruise on Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth from Southampton. The only comparison I have is with HAL and the following notes account for my discoveries.

Itinerary: Embark Southampton, Sea Day, Hamburg, Sea Day, Disembark Southampton.

Embarkation was good, we had a short wait whilst seated before we were called to check in and then go through security. It was all very relaxed. We went directly to our stateroom and our main piece of luggage was already waiting for us. Our room steward arrived minutes later, introduced himself and gave a quick tour of the room’s facilities.

Stateroom: We had booked a partial view balcony guarantee and were allocated an unobstructed view on deck 6. (6211) There was a complimentary half bottle of champagne waiting for us in a room slightly smaller than we’ve had on Vista class ships. This one had a shower only which we’ve not had before and the bathroom was very small but manageable. There was no lack of storage for a short trip and a large safe. The décor was pleasant, the whole ship was Art Deco themed. We had a chair at the vanity unit, a small 2-seater settee and a small coffee table. The verandah was only slightly smaller than what we’ve experienced on HAL ships with two chairs and a small table. There was no privacy curtain by the wardrobes and NO low energy light bulbs in any of the lamps. In the evenings the turn down service was just that with chocolates and the following day’s programme laid out on the bed. There were no towel animals.

For Muster Drill we were asked to assemble in the main dining room and to bring our life jackets with us. After some announcements we were shown how to put on our life jackets and had to demonstrate to a crew member that we could do it before we were allowed to leave. There was NO ROLL CALL!

Norovirus Prevention: To our surprise self-serve was available from the moment we boarded but the staff were very active in giving us hand gel to use each time we entered the Lido restaurant. The Captain gave a lengthy talk at the muster drill about what to do if we had sickness or diarrhoea and there was written information in the cabin. I had expected to have code orange, as on HAL, for the whole trip as some people left/boarded the ship at Hamburg.

Layout: As we explored the ship we felt quite at home, the Queen Elizabeth had a very similar layout to HAL’s Vista/Signature class ships. Of course there were differences – a Ballroom in place of the Culinary Arts Centre and a British Pub, the Golden Lion, in place of the Piano Bar but most other things could be found where I expected them. There were two Pools surprisingly both open 24 hours (weather permitting) but the midship pool had no covering at all. There was a very lovely conservatory bar, Garden Lounge, where the Lido Bar and Terrace Grill would be. The Commodore Club was very similar in many ways to the Crow’s Nest on HAL and there were other comparable bars throughout the ship and a speciality coffee bar too.

Crew: Cunard had a more mixed range of nationalities, many Eastern European and South African. Both cabin stewards and wait staff was more mixed male and female rather than the predominance of males on HAL. They weren’t so ready to greet you in the hallways, etc. Uniformed officers were conspicuous by their absence IMO.

Main Dining Room: There was a higher ratio of staff to passengers. The wine steward was very quick and efficient. Others on our table just drank water which was topped up very frequently. The only choice we had was Fixed early or late seating for evening meal. Early: 6pm, Late: 8.30pm. We would have preferred something in between and have always had ‘Open Seating’ on HAL. The higher grade cabins have an exclusive dining venue and I believe they were able to be more flexible with timings. Food was good but nothing special.

Lido Restaurant: The food selection was not so extensive as HAL although the quality was comparable. 3pm Scones and petit sandwiches are served whilst the formal ‘High Tea’ with white glove service takes place in the Ballroom. A ‘Champagne High Tea’ also takes place elsewhere. Otherwise, Lido sandwiches were make your own and there was only one cook to order station. Drinks available for self-serve were Coffee – nicer than HAL – a vast selection of Twinnings teas but water not hot enough to make a decent cup; several fruit juices, lemonade and a selection of horlicks, ovaltine etc. and hot chocolate on tap. Good size mugs were provided for drinks.

Room Service: Much the same as HAL but with quarter of an hour slots. A different selection of food available but we were still able to write on items that were available in the MDR whilst it was open and it arrived hot and tasty.

Dress Requirement: On the whole I would say that people were dressed a notch more formally than on HAL at all times. People were wearing Jeans and Tee shirts during the day but still tended to look smarter. Formal and Informal was spelled out more clearly as to expectation. “Informal: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen, cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies. Please note that after 6.00pm, shorts, and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On informal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Lido buffet on deck 9 and relax in the Garden Lounge, but should not use the other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, our of respect for their fellow guests.”

“Formal: Dinner Jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentleman … Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

I have to admit that on informal nights I wore what I would have worn on a formal night on HAL and DH brought his Tuxedo for the formal nights. I didn’t mind one bit but I’m sure others would.

Entertainment: There were definitely more musicians on board ship, more like our first HAL trip in 2011. A string trio, a harpist, 3 different style pianists, a full dance band in the Ballroom, a full band for the theatre shows which had more singers and dancers of a higher quality than HAL. Perhaps that is where Cunard’s emphasis lies. There wasn’t a pianist who had a similar act to HAL’s Piano Bar; the nearest was the one in the Pub but he didn’t especially encourage singing along. We didn’t go to the disco or to the trivia, bingo or other games/competitions which were put on by entertainments staff in the Pub. We didn’t meet the Cruise Director and was only aware of who she was at the end of one of the shows when she came on to publicise the following night’s show. We did get chatting to one of the singers one night when he came to do a cabaret act in the Ballroom.

Announcements: There were very few and we had to rely on the Daily Programme or the morning TV channel for information. At Noon each day the Captain would give a little bulletin followed by a weather report from the 3rd Officer.

Shops: Along with the usual clothing, watches, inch of gold and jewellery there was a Fortnum and Masons store selling Teas, Chocolates, Cigars, Gifts and essentials. There was a bookshop which was well stocked and also had calendars, guide books and even a ‘Haines Manual’ for the Queen Elizabeth!

Disembarkation: No requests were made for future travel plans. Our luggage had to be outside the room by 11pm. We were given allocated time slots according to our deck. Staterooms had to be vacated by 8.15am. (No Room Service breakfast on that day) We were allocated to wait in the main theatre until our colour code was called. Having been used to HAL I found some of this a little inconvenient.

If I haven’t mentioned something it’s probably because we didn’t use that facility. However, if I can answer something specific I’ll try. On the whole I thought it was a good experience and would go with them again if only because it goes from Southampton.

Thanks, Mumsy, for such a easy-to-read and complete review. Welcome back!

BTW, what is Cunard's wine policy?

One bottle per person on embarkation. People on board told us they've never been questioned for bringing more and that they saw someone bringing a wine carrier of 6 bottles at Southampton.

Thanks for you review Mumsy, I have been told that the QE in many ways was like the Vista/Signature Class but then they share the same hull and probably many other things :D

I have had people tell me that Cunard is Princess and HAL together but several steps up the ladder depending on the class of cabin you book. Sound like you had a great Get Away cruise :)

Wow!

Such a nicely done overview.

You have mentioned almost everything that makes HAL Signature ships and Cunard Queen Elizabeth similar and different.

Not only your short comparison is comprehensive, but it's correct! I have not seen reviews like this for a very long time.

I have little to add. I would mention a different (marvelous) design of the theatre on the QE and a significant difference in the forward sun deck. It's necessary to add that the QE is a stretched derivative of the Vista class.

The QE is longer than HAL ships that makes her more suitable for "deep water" sailings and give additional room for traditional Cunard features.

Thanks for the review.

Did you go to any of Cunard's Enrichment lectures on your sea days? Do me that's one of Cunard's great strengths.

Roy

It was only a 4 night trip. There were no lectures but we did go to two dance classes - not everyone's thing, I know. We would have liked to try the lectures.

Thanks for this excellent, comprehensive review. We've been in port with the QE and thought it looked so much like the Vista class ships. It is very interesting to read about how the interior differs.

Could you comment more on the MDRoom food? Menus, compared to HAL, quality?

Glad you had a satisfying time!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks for this excellent, comprehensive review. We've been in port with the QE and thought it looked so much like the Vista class ships. It is very interesting to read about how the interior differs.

Could you comment more on the MDRoom food? Menus, compared to HAL, quality?

Glad you had a satisfying time!

MDR menu more limited - only 4 items in each section - there were no everyday items. The quality was OK but HAL is better. Portions were tiny and, considering we were only on for 4 nights, they repeated the Sirloin Steak on the 4th night and our Steward told us that it has a tendency to come up tough. There was nothing noticeably different in the MDR on formal night, no special food items, no seat covers or best uniforms unlike HAL.

In my universe (and in most dictionaries), informal means casual. I do not understand why cruise companies refuse to refer to semi-formal as semi-formal.

igraf

Dress Requirement: On the whole I would say that people were dressed a notch more formally than on HAL at all times. People were wearing Jeans and Tee shirts during the day but still tended to look smarter. Formal and Informal was spelled out more clearly as to expectation. “Informal: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen, cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies. Please note that after 6.00pm, shorts, and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On informal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Lido buffet on deck 9 and relax in the Garden Lounge, but should not use the other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, our of respect for their fellow guests.”

“Formal: Dinner Jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentleman … Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

I have to admit that on informal nights I wore what I would have worn on a formal night on HAL and DH brought his Tuxedo for the formal nights. I didn’t mind one bit but I’m sure others would.

MDR menu more limited - only 4 items in each section - there were no everyday items. The quality was OK but HAL is better. Portions were tiny and, considering we were only on for 4 nights, they repeated the Sirloin Steak on the 4th night and our Steward told us that it has a tendency to come up tough. There was nothing noticeably different in the MDR on formal night, no special food items, no seat covers or best uniforms unlike HAL.

Thanks for addressing my food questions. I am surprised, but I guess food isn't the main event on Cunard. It is really interesting to have a first hand and detailed comparison. Much appreciated that you have taken the time to write up this thread and answer questions!

Thanks for your comparative review between HAL and Cunard QE. We went on QE back in 2011, but I did not remember the pools being open 24 hours; that is good knowledge for our next cruise on QE. On the Volendam, there were a couple of things I really liked...one was the medicine cabinet storage in the bathroom...things were out of sight and that was a good thing. Second, was that there was a DVD player and you could "check out" DVDs....you can only watch the same movies on the room TV so much.

Edited by alibabacruisers

Agree with your review. We are 2 star on HAL, cruised on the QV on a TA a year or so ago, enjoyed it so much, we booked a Mediterranean cruise on the QV for six months later.

We cruise Princess, HAL, Celebrity primarily. Felt the comparison between Cunard and the QV very similar to HAL. Cunard more formal. We did feel service in the MDR (we ordered off menu every night) even though first time cruisers on Cunard, entertainment and overall atmosphere aboard the best we have seen.

We now look at Princess, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity when making a choice on what itinerary and price option we wish to select.

Mumsysailor,

I hope you were able to get out of Southampton before the terrible traffic jam!

I have been told by some Cunard regulars that you can always order a steak or chicken dish off menu if nothing appeals. I haven't tried it yet.