True Promenade Decks?

nerd-guy

Hi, Is anyone aware of a resource (some sort of chart perhaps) that shows which princess ships have a promenade deck? I mean a deck with an open air walkway that goes completely around the periphery of the ship from forward to aft. These were on almost every cruiser till about 6-8 years ago with the advent of balcony-specialty-restaurant-retail fever. :(

Thanks for any advice, Howard

The Grand, Golden, Coral, Island, Sun, Sea, Dawn, Ocean and Pacific have wraparound Promenade decks. Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire have a partial Promenade deck in that you go up stairs to Emerald deck to walk around. The Royal has sections on the Promenade deck where you can walk but it's closed off behind the life boats. The Regal is being modified before launch to allow a narrow walkway behind the lifeboats.

You are right, I'm wrong. The Ocean and Pacific don't have Promenades.

It looks like the Ocean and Pacific have partial promenades on deck 5. Am I correct? They appear to be fairly wide. Is that also correct?

Thanks,

All the Grand Class ships including the Super Grand Class have promenade decks that go all the way around the ship except at the bow wheee you walk up from deck 7 to deck 8 to get around the front. Those would be the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Diamond, Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

All the Grand Class ships including the Super Grand Class have promenade decks that go all the way around the ship except at the bow wheee you walk up from deck 7 to deck 8 to get around the front. Those would be the Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Diamond, Crown, Emerald and Ruby.
To add to that, on the Coral and Island you do not need to climb stairs to wraparound the forward section of the ship. The downside to that is they don't go all the way to the forward bow with a view of the water. Instead they cut across from port to starboard through a tunnel. Not as nice as on the Grand Class ships. Here's a photo of the forward Promenade on the Coral, followed by another photo of the forward Promenade on the Golden:

7390889100_6ed25ab96b_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

5454176776_5f97d761cc_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Edited by Jasperdo

The Grand, Golden, Coral, Island, Sun, Sea, Dawn, Ocean and Pacific have wraparound Promenade decks. Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire have a partial Promenade deck in that you go up stairs to Emerald deck to walk around. The Royal has sections on the Promenade deck where you can walk but it's closed off behind the life boats. The Regal is being modified before launch to allow a narrow walkway behind the lifeboats.

I would also consider this a wrap around promenade deck.....

Bob

IMHO, the best Promenades in the fleet are on Sapphire, Diamond, Island, Coral, Dawn, Sea and Sun Princesses. Wide with nice teak steamer chairs.

After being on the Island 2x and the Emerald 2x, I prefer the 'no stairs required' Promenade on the Island :-)

After being on the Island 2x and the Emerald 2x, I prefer the 'no stairs required' Promenade on the Island :-)

The no stairs are nice , but it's nice to stand at the bow too...

But the others are wider .... If we had to pick one ... guess that would be it as DW's back doesn't really like the stairs...

My husband and I always join the "On Deck for The Cure" Breast Cancer walk on our Princess cruises. We have walked a lot of promenades, stairs and no stairs. I don't remember which promenade goes with which ship, but I do remember walking through a machinery section on one ship. Years ago on the Ocean Princess, our group of 16, lost so many shuffleboard pucks overboard we thought we were going to get charged. We really missed the wrap around on the Royal. I was enjoying sitting on the Royal's promenade deck until a drink from above sprinkled all over me. It made me realize there were no waiters offering drinks there, so I had to search (not far) for a bar :D

I think the deck plans for the Royal are misleading. It looks like there is a true Promenade Deck, but from the comments I've read here, it doesn't seem like passengers can use it. Exactly which sections are open to passengers?

The Grand, Golden, Coral, Island, Sun, Sea, Dawn, Ocean and Pacific have wraparound Promenade decks. Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire have a partial Promenade deck in that you go up stairs to Emerald deck to walk around.

I don't see that the Grand or Golden are any different from the Caribbean, Crown, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire. And the Star got left off the list, and also has the Promenade with stairs. Also, though it matters little, the Coral and Island Promenades do not go clear out to the tip of the bow as do the other wraparound Promenades.

Edit to add: Simultaneous post to Bugslyboo above re: the Star.

Edited by JimmyVWine