Do You Lock Your Suitcase?

rileylewis

Our first cruise is coming up in a month! YAY!

I have read in different posts about people locking their suitcases or using zip ties for them. We have never locked our suitcases or anything like that when traveling.

It is important to do this?

We are driving to port, so no need for TSA regulation.... in case that makes a difference.

Thanks!:D

Yes. We always lock our luggage. Why take the chance. Who knows what happens to your luggage once it leaves your hands in the port. The porters are not cruise line employees, so there isn't really much recourse if something is missing.

Edited by screwsmcernst

There is no point using a lock on your suitcase... if someone wanted to get into it all they need is a pen.

Youtube it... takes 5 seconds.... they stab the pen between the zipper to split it open, take out what they need and zip it back up and you would not even be able to tell it was ever open

There is no point using a lock on your suitcase... if someone wanted to get into it all they need is a pen.

Youtube it... takes 5 seconds.... they stab the pen between the zipper to split it open, take out what they need and zip it back up and you would not even be able to tell it was ever open

WOW!!!:eek: :( I can't believe how easy it is to break into zipped luggage!

Basically we will only be packing clothes, shoes and some toiletries in our checked luggage. Any valuables will be in the bags we take with us as carry-ons on the ship. (DH is taking a rolling backpack and I have a rolling small bag). ;) Hopefully we won't have any problems.

I use zip ties. I don't trust the tsa locks or should I say that I don't trust that people who should not have access to the keys actually will. If tsa or other customs go into your luggage they have to leave you a note to advise they have been in your luggage. If a criminal has the key, then they can relock it and you will not know until you notice something missing but if you use zip ties you will see if the tie has been cut. If cut and no note then I would report it the the airlines as something has go amiss. (although never happened to me I told a friend about this and she did it only to have her zip tags cut but there was a note inside her luggage.)

I always lock mine over literally hundreds of trips over 35 years and never had my case broken into or anything stolen from it. I do keep valuables with me.

I agree if someone wants to get into your case they will. However you have the opportunist. It's like pickpockets in Barcelona they go for the easy targets - folk walking around not paying attention and having a wallet stuck in a back pocket or an open bag or whatever. Yes they could also steal from me, but I would take more effort and not be undetected, which is often what they want.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to lock your bag. I even lock hand luggage if I leave them at a baggage facility at a hotel.

My brother took a direct flight from Edinburgh to Prague with a carryon. He was flying back with the same airline but for some weird reason the bag that was an acceptable size on the way out was not permitted on the way back. He had no locks for it but they would only allow him on the flight if the bag was checked. When he got it back all his valuables had been stolen. Had to be baggage handlers but at which airport.? Fortunately insurance covered the replacement of the items. Yes he should have gone and got a smaller bag and taken his valuables out, but he would have missed the flight as he was stopped at boarding.

I used to lock mine but not anymore. I first used the locks that came with the bag when I bought it. When I got to my destination, the lock was gone. Then I used the TSA locks thinking they can check my bag by unlocking it with their key and they'll put the lock back on. Nope! The lock was gone too! BUT...there were no missing contents in my bag.

Edited by Erik101

Since we do have to fly, we do use the TSA locks.

I don't trust anyone -- not even at the piers.

One time we were talking to some people in the Neptune Lounge on HAL. A man came in irritated -- really roaring mad. When they opened their suitcases -- all their shoes were missing. From the time they dropped off their luggage with the porters (from their car) until it arrived in their cabin -- someone opened their suitcases and took their shoes. Several people handle your luggage from the time you drop it off at the pier until it is actually delivered to your cabin. Anyone of those people could have taken the shoes.

Since we do have to fly, we do use the TSA locks.

I don't trust anyone -- not even at the piers.

One time we were talking to some people in the Neptune Lounge on HAL. A man came in irritated -- really roaring mad. When they opened their suitcases -- all their shoes were missing. From the time they dropped off their luggage with the porters (from their car) until it arrived in their cabin -- someone opened their suitcases and took their shoes. Several people handle your luggage from the time you drop it off at the pier until it is actually delivered to your cabin. Anyone of those people could have taken the shoes.

Whoa! :eek: Since we're not flying, maybe I will use the zip ties. I'll pack a small pair of kid scissors (blunt ended) in my carry on to cut them off. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Ive never locked mine, but then again I never put valuables in my checked bags. So if they want some clothes or an electric razor, then have at it. Ive had my bag opened and my razor taken apart for some insane reason. Not sure what TSA was looking for, but they succeeded in making a mess..

We use zip ties as well. If you do not have your luggage locked in any way, if the cruise line wants to search it, they can. If it it locked, you have to be present for the search. I just like knowing that no one has been in my stuff, even if it is just clothing and toiletries.

I always lock my suitcase and use the TSA locks. My bag has been searched, but nothing has ever been removed and most of the time there will be a little note from TSA saying they opened my bag. I don't pack anything valuable in my suitcase and I don't take any good jewelry with me when I travel (not even good costume, I buy different colored glass studs at Claire's) and I never pack my kindle but I do lock my kindle in the safe when I leave my cabin and when staying in a hotel I lock my passport, cash and kindle in my suitcase......never had anything stolen. DH on the other hand does NOT lock his suitcase, does not pack anything of value and he has never had anything stolen either.

If it's not in your control and possession, it should be locked. Not always because someone might steal something, but because you don't want someone to "slip" something into your bag!

You don't have to use TSA locks....but use something!!! I use Master keyed locks for suitcases...heavy duty....no one has a right to open your stuff without your permission. LOCK YOUR BAGS!

If it's not in your control and possession, it should be locked. Not always because someone might steal something, but because you don't want someone to "slip" something into your bag!

You don't have to use TSA locks....but use something!!! I use Master keyed locks for suitcases...heavy duty....no one has a right to open your stuff without your permission. LOCK YOUR BAGS!

That's a really good point! And depending on where you're going having something slipped in your bag could be a real problem. Only time I don't lock my suitcase is if I'm driving and it's in the trunk, which is locked.

If anyone is desperate enough to want the used clothes in my suitcase, they should take them. Anything of value is in my carryon. I used to zip tie the suitcase, but then I gave up doing even that.

However, since my suitcase came rolling onto the baggage chute with the zipper half undone last time, I'm back to zip ties. I don't think anybody was after my old t-shirts - it was a rough trip and the luggage tags were ripped off as well as a wheel....

Small nail clippers will work to undo the zip ties and are allowed through security. I put them in the outer pocket of my carryon.

If anyone is desperate enough to want the used clothes in my suitcase, they should take them. Anything of value is in my carryon. I used to zip tie the suitcase, but then I gave up doing even that.

However, since my suitcase came rolling onto the baggage chute with the zipper half undone last time, I'm back to zip ties. I don't think anybody was after my old t-shirts - it was a rough trip and the luggage tags were ripped off as well as a wheel....

Small nail clippers will work to undo the zip ties and are allowed through security. I put them in the outer pocket of my carryon.

How does the zip tie protect your suitcase? I use then to stake plants and they're easily removed with a nail clipper ir scissor.