What do you like about the "S Class"

Rallytime1975

Never been on Celebrity, what do you like about the "S Class" or the equinox ship?

I haven't been on Equinox...(yet!) but have done Solstice, Silhouette and Reflection for two weeks each.

The short answer... just about EVERYTHING! :D

An external view of the ship(s) from the pier is nothing less than jaw-dropping, and gorgeously impressive. Almost pure, bright white, and clean looking. 122,000 tons large, impressive, sleek, modern, eye popping beautiful.

Take the time while in a port on a sunny day to walk more than the full length of the ship, and get some photos looking up the mooring lines. Stern shots of the geometric precision of aft balconies are cool, and a photo (taken while lying on your back on the pier) of the sweeping bow with the ships name in dark blue is awesome.

Same holds true for the ships interior. Get a shot looking down on the main dining room on a sunny day with the bright light pouring in the side windows. The place absolutely GLISTENS with the tables all made up perfectly.

Get a view of the pool deck from top of the stairs near the mast bar on starboard side or the mast grill on the port side. The theatre is BEAUTIFUL, so is the view of the tree suspended in the atrium... from every single deck and every single angle.

And if the VISUALS just aren't enough, you can always enjoy the great food, fantastic drinks, fun entertainment, and incredible service as well! ;)

The gym is well equipped and spotless, and the specialty coffees and gelato are to die for. In the buffet, waffles and omelets for breakfast, and Indian curries for lunch. Lobster and both the chocolate AND Grand Marnier dessert soufflés in Murano.

Find out the time of your local sunset, and book a dinner in Tuscan Grill for that time, you won't regret it! (Don't miss the steak tartare, and the chocolate fondue for dessert)

Edited by teecee60

Just got to love the solstice class ships from the large staterooms ,best showers to the fabulous entertainment ,upscale food & service :D

.There is nothing not to like about S class ships & because of their length you do get more exercise walking :p:D:p

We enjoy the Lawn area, especially on ships without the Cabanas.

Enjoy the bar and wine areas around the ship. Ship staff, for us, have been very attentive too. Food was very good in MDR such that we tried the Speciality restaurants only once.

Interested in Blu, but have not booked Aqua Class and not sure we will based on price difference.

Only sailed on Eclipse, but want to sail on others especially Reflection to see how it differs with the extra deck.

Edited by shipshape sam

I haven't been on Equinox...(yet!) but have done Solstice, Silhouette and Reflection for two weeks each.

The short answer... just about EVERYTHING! :D

An external view of the ship(s) from the pier is nothing less than jaw-dropping, and gorgeously impressive. Almost pure, bright white, and clean looking. 122,000 tons large, impressive, sleek, modern, eye popping beautiful.

Take the time while in a port on a sunny day to walk more than the full length of the ship, and get some photos looking up the mooring lines. Stern shots of the geometric precision of aft balconies are cool, and a photo (taken while lying on your back on the pier) of the sweeping bow with the ships name in dark blue is awesome.

Same holds true for the ships interior. Get a shot looking down on the main dining room on a sunny day with the bright light pouring in the side windows. The place absolutely GLISTENS with the tables all made up perfectly.

Get a view of the pool deck from top of the stairs near the mast bar on starboard side or the mast grill on the port side. The theatre is BEAUTIFUL, so is the view of the tree suspended in the atrium... from every single deck and every single angle.

And if the VISUALS just aren't enough, you can always enjoy the great food, fantastic drinks, fun entertainment, and incredible service as well! ;)

The gym is well equipped and spotless, and the specialty coffees and gelato are to die for. In the buffet, waffles and omelets for breakfast, and Indian curries for lunch. Lobster and both the chocolate AND Grand Marnier dessert soufflés in Murano.

Find out the time of your local sunset, and book a dinner in Tuscan Grill for that time, you won't regret it! (Don't miss the steak tartare, and the chocolate fondue for dessert)

Whoa! Do you have a website to view your pictures??

You've given me some great ideas. We're always looking for different shots.

OP One thing that we really love about S class ships is that there is always somewhere to go (other than your own balcony) to just sit and be quiet and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The staff is very friendly and professional at the same time.

There's always a naysayer in the bunch, and today it's me. I prefer the M class ships. I don't like neon light in the MDR on S class. I prefer the T pools on M class. The seating in the Solarium is not as comfortable as on M class. Actually, the seating throughout is uncomfortable, chairs too low, chairs too deep. Michaels Club M class is in a better location and is more comfortable. There's no rendezvous Lounge on S class. Dancing takes place in the Atrium, which is too small a space, and it means that Guest Relations must compete with the mysic's volume so it's hard to talk to the Staff there. Only two banks of elevators, not three. And the staterooms! Those inadequate bedside tables! No clothes line in the shower. Storage above the beds that is difficult if you're short. And I don't like to store anything above my bed (too many earthquakes in my past). No drawers in the closet. In many rooms the safe is above or adjacent to the fridge, so it gets hot, not good to put electronics in. So no, I'm not an S class fan.

We have been on the Equinox a total of 4 weeks. She is a beautiful ship with wonderful crew. So many areas that are wonderful for us: love the lawn area and Corning Glass onthe top deck - peaceful and a great place to read and relax. We also enjoy Cafe Al Bacio with their terrific free cookies and the seating area with a terrific Ocean View. Solarium is beautiful & also a wonderful place to swim or just relax. Personally, we aren't Aqua Class passengers/Blu dining as we have always found the food and service terrific in the dining room. There's so much to do and see on this ship, but there are also wonderful places for some nice quiet time should you want it!

We're only 30 days away from our 14 day Eclipse cruise, and to be honest were thinking seriously about not coming back to cruise critic with all of the slams on the cruise line of late. Also, said comments were tempting us to doubt our choice!

This is our first Celebrity cruise, with the hopes of many more to come. Reading all of your insights gets us fired up again!

Thanks everyone. Will report on our experience after!

:D

Many good posts to get you excited for Eclipse and S class in general. Let me add my two cents.....

1. We love Bistro on 5 for lunch on embarkation day. We get to the ship at 10:30-11:00, are usually on board within 30 minutes and head directly to Bistro on 5. For $5.00 each we have a great lunch chosen from a eclectic selection of crepes, soups and salads. We have our first adult beverage of the cruise (premium drink package, always), a nice glass or two of white wine. After enjoying a nice leisurely lunch our cabin is typically ready.

2. We love the fabulous drinks served at the Molecular bar and the Martini bar.

3. We always do Aqua Class when cruising X if for no other reason than Blu.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Equinox a couple of years ago...........absolutely loved it.....everything about it.........the Sunset bar was our favourite spot........the music around the ship.........the staff...........the passengers........the bathrooms.........could go on and on.

Last year we tried the Summit...........it was still Celebrity and we loved the staff, food, music etc etc but for us it just didn't have the 'wow' factor that the S class ships do. This year we are trying the Eclipse.......and am sure we'll love it.

We've cruised RCI, NCL and P & O but Celebrity (especially S class ships) are so much better.

Get a view of the pool deck from top of the stairs near the mast bar on starboard side or the mast grill on the port side.

I'm not teecee60, but here's the beautiful pool deck of the Eclipse at night.

EclipseTA358_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Wow! What don't I like about the S Class....and even then I couldn't tell you. DH and I have sailed on Solstice and Millennium. We loooooove the Solstice but would sail on Millennium in a heart beat if the itinerary and price was right. But - given the choice - Solstice all the way.

We love the Molecular Bar - ok, I love the Molecular Bar, the layout of the buffet, the Sunset Bar....just everything.

But, again, that being said - we'd sail Millie in a minute.

we have both cruised S and M class ships...

both are excellent but the S class is just a notch better IMHO in almost every aspect.

we love the sleek modern (european) design. none of that brown carpet - golden faucet type stuff that some north americans in majority seem to associate with luxury ;-)

as to one poster not liking the "neon" lights... the S-class ships have a lot of indirect and RGB-LED lighting / LED-strips. and lots of awesome effect lighting like the large plastic plant pots that are lit inside out on the lawn deck.

i would go as far as saying that the already awesome style during the day really starts to shine at night.

little to no actual neon lights by the way...

obviously a matter of taste, but if you dig that style, you will love it.

about the only/biggest advantage on M class we felt was due to the slightly smaller size in passengers and crew, there was a more personable touch to everything. nothing to do with feeling crowded or not, the S class distributes crowds better actually, but has more of a "big city feel".

I love the spacious shower on the S class ships and the way that the buffet is set out as it cuts down queuing.

I think the area around the lawn could do with more seating as I cannot get down to sit on the ground and after seeing a 'service dog' relieve itself on the lawn on our Southern Caribbean Eclipse cruise in March 2013, I would not wish to sit on it anyway.

I believe the hot glass show has had its day and like the idea of the outdoor cafe on Reflection, that has replaced it.

Edited by upwarduk

OP One thing that we really love about S class ships is that there is always somewhere to go (other than your own balcony) to just sit and be quiet and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The staff is very friendly and professional at the same time.

For some beautiful photos of the S-class ships( and many others) I suggest you go to the site of Andreas Depping. Here is a link to his photos of the Silhouette : http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php?cat=22

Been on the Equinox and also the Reflection.

I just love the Solarium for a swim in the morning and having my coffee in the whirl pool thereafter. A great start to the day.

Love the ambience of the cabin and the large bathroom. Each time I scored an oversized balcony;)

They have a very good buffet set-up with great food and especially like the aft terrace. Just wonderful to eat al fresco and have some amazing views. Like the choice of drink packages too.

The ships themselves have beautiful decor, but lack a great atrium and dancing places.

Also the swimming pools are a bit small.

But the best thing really for us here "down under" is the price difference compared with the other lines like P & O, HAL and Princess which are usually double the price compared to Celebrity. Plus I can book via an American TA as well, making it even more attractive.

Those of us lucky enough to have taken several cruises, or more, on different Celebrity ships over the years tend to over compare the ships and our cruises to each other. This results is complaints about things that are absolutely wonderful. I realized this on our first or second cruise on an S class ship while I was standing in the most stunningly beautiful stateroom I'd ever been in and rather than just enjoying it I was finding things to complain about such as the nightstands not being as large as the ones on M class.

I could easily make a long list of things I line more on the S class than M class, and a different list of thinks I like more on the M class than the S class.

So to anyone that finds some of the complaints here and there discomforting: Please ignore them and just enjoy both the anticipation of your cruise and the cruise itself. You'll have a wonderful time.

On the S class I especially like:

• The clean modern and fresh design of the areas around the ship - theses areas are all like works of art as the architecture is incredible - the photo above of the pool area is a good example
  • The newness of the ships
  • The nice décor of the staterooms
  • The large well designed bathroom with lots of storage for toiletries
  • The nice floor on the verandas
  • The nice cushy seating in many outdoor areas of the ship - especially the sofas at the bar/eating area behind the buffet.
  • The fact that there are two aft bars and seating areas (Sunset bar the area on the deck beneath it).
  • The Ensemble lounge
  • The variety of specialty restaurants
  • Café al Bacio
  • Playing bocce ball or other lawn games up on the lawn

I could probably go on and on but that is a good start!

Edited by Lsimon

Hi:).....likes and dislikes.....

I have been lucky enough to sail all the ships (sans Xpedition) in the

fleet~most of them more than once. Lots of things to like!:)

But on the S Class? 2 things I REALLY LIKE..........ALOT:D

The Molecular Bar:D

Shower DOORS in the cabin bathrooms:D