Most Hygenic Cruise Lines

PaulMCO

I really appreciated Oceania providing servers at all times at the buffets at both the Terrace Cafe and Waves Grill on our recent Oceania cruise. No self-serve at any time, which I consider a big plus.

I agree but O is the only line I have ever been sick on and I wasn't the only one. My feeling about the reason, lacking monitoring on whether passengers were using the hand cleaners and absolutely no hygiene capability for the computer keyboards.

I agree but O is the only line I have ever been sick on and I wasn't the only one. My feeling about the reason, lacking monitoring on whether passengers were using the hand cleaners and absolutely no hygiene capability for the computer keyboards.

Sometimes you need to be proactive

I clean my hands before & after using the keyboards & slot machines as well as other places that people may not be as careful.

I usually end up with a head cold as some people do not see the need to cover their face when they sneeze or cough :eek:

This past cruise we got lucky & did not get sick.

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Sometimes you need to be proactive

I clean my hands before & after using the keyboards & slot machines as well as other places that people may not be as careful.

I usually end up with a head cold as some people do not see the need to cover their face when they sneeze or cough :eek:

This past cruise we got lucky & did not get sick.

Lyn

Agree with you....... but, also look out for salt and pepper shakers on tables and menu's -- both are touched a lot -- by many people.

We happened to be in the Terrace Café after hours one day and observed O's staff cleaning the legs and center portion of the tables (under the table). O's prides itself in cleanliness on board. The hand rails are cleaned often during the day.

We took an X cruise (Celebrity) and tables were dirty, lots of dirt under the tables - not the same at all.

So I'd take my chances with Oceania.

Jan

Based on the RCL issues with Noro --

It pays to check - and some surprises on the list.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/6-most-hygienic-cruise-lines-2014-01-30

The United States Navy.... gets my vote never noro... and everyone works their tail off to keep the ships spotless...Submarines Destroyers and Cruisers, See your local recruiter...to book a cruise.. Free open seating dining, Free Laundry, free internet....free medical... free wardrobe.... Don't delay your world cruise awaits....

On a recent 'table to market' excursion (not Oceania's). A bag of goodies is handed out for a taste. Instead of picking a goody from the top, one lady digs deep down to the bottom of the bag. Later, forks are handed out. Guess who passes them around holding the fork side instead of the handle? Not the same lady. Unsanitary behavior included sneezing all over the breakfast table and coughing into other people's faces.

The ship (HAL) later had a noro virus infestation and lots of passengers came down with colds.

The biggest item to prevent noro is the way Oceania handles the Terrace and Waves. No self serving. Some do not like this -- but no noro on Oceania ships.

By the way the key element in that survey was the failing a CDC check.

I've noticed newbies trying to help themselves to goodies at afternoon tea instead of waiting to be served at the central area where the warm food and scones are served from. The crew need eyes in the back of their heads:eek:

Edited by turnip eater

The only time I got sick was on the land portion of a land/sea cruise several years ago. It's hard to say where I picked it up - probably at a hotel or on a train. And I use hand sanitizers and wash up in the restrooms. I guess I'm not as lucky as ruppert18.

On our recent Riviera cruise, there was one lady (always seemed to be in front of me) who insisted on reaching under the sneeze cover and pointing at what she wanted! She came so close to touching the food, I nearly always walked away to another station!

Another gal on embarkation day, reached into the salad bar area and picked up her own veggies. I suggested very nicely that it would be best to wait to be served and she insisted that "I've been on Nautica many times and they don't make you wait to be served!"

Even with Oceania doing the serving, some folks just won't cooperate.

Thanks for sharing that list of the good guys, and of course, by seeing what lines weren't on the list, the bad guys! Next month we are taking Celebrity for the second time (only because the itinerary, timing and cost were right; not crazy about Celebrity, and condition of ship is one reason!) Their buffet is truly a buffet, with shared everything. My husband is planning to double the amount of hand sanitizer he takes! I wonder if we could wear snorkel masks and some gloves while dining? After all, it IS a Caribbean cruise!

One thing I don't like about any cruise line is the fact that often the muster drill is held (partly) in the dining room. Does the crew swap out the silverware after the muster drill is over? I would guess that's not possible, at least when a cruise line does the drill right before the ship departs.