Will Daylight Savings Time change affect boarding?

CHAMPDDS

Always the planner, I am curious if anyone has had any experience with having a sail date that falls on a Daylight Savings Time change date like we will on March 9th on the Allure. With the 'Spring Forward' of one hour on that Sunday, it actually takes an hour away from those disembarking, and I am wondering if this historically has slowed the process on those days of people getting off of the ship due to human nature with the loss of an hour..wondering if this needs to be a consideration in our usually time of arrive at the port around 10:30-11:00...

Thoughts???

David:D

Always the planner, I am curious if anyone has had any experience with having a sail date that falls on a Daylight Savings Time change date like we will on March 9th on the Allure. With the 'Spring Forward' of one hour on that Sunday, it actually takes an hour away from those disembarking, and I am wondering if this historically has slowed the process on those days of people getting off of the ship due to human nature with the loss of an hour..wondering if this needs to be a consideration in our usually time of arrive at the port around 10:30-11:00...

Thoughts???

If you are board the day the actual time change is place it will certainly have an effect because the time is changed. The change always happens in the wee hours of the morning, so it would have happened early in the night before you board.

If it takes place late after you have boarded you're okay.

Jonathan

If you are board the day the actual time change is place it will certainly have an effect because the time is changed. The change always happens in the wee hours of the morning, so it would have happened early in the night before you board.

If it takes place late after you have boarded you're okay.

Jonathan

Thanks- but to clarify, does it seem to delay getting on the ship since it may slow down the passengers that are disembarking since tHey have had an hour less sleep? Again, historically has anyone had experience with boarding on a DST date?

Thanks- but to clarify, does it seem to delay getting on the ship since it may slow down the passengers that are disembarking since tHey have had an hour less sleep? Again, historically has anyone had experience with boarding on a DST date?

Losing an hour happens more than just at daylight savings time. Some itineraries, like a transatlantic, have you either losing or gaining an hour a night for five days, depending on the direction of the transatlantic. We lost an hour our last night on our NE/Canada cruise. Really isn't a big deal.

Thoughts???

This will be my sixth cruise that embarks during the Daylight savings time change. I don't remember being delayed boarding on any of them.

...does it seem to delay getting on the ship since it may slow down the passengers that are disembarking since tHey have had an hour less sleep? Again, historically has anyone had experience with boarding on a DST date?

Well, the time is still the time, and the passengers still need to disembark to make their flights and such. It's certainly possible that they are tired but it doesn't mean anything dire or negative for those waiting to come onboard. They do not give an hour to make up for it; they still need to clear the ship as soon as possible.

:mad: We're going to be losing one hour on our upcoming cruise. Wonder if RCI will reimburse us for the hour????

I'm sure you are kidding but you did have an angry face icon... sooo....??? ... and no, you aren't reimbursed. Nothing was said to us when we lost an hour on one of our cruises. It's just the way it is. ;) You book a cruise on one of the time-changing weekends and it is what it is, I'm afraid. :)

Thoughts???

Of course it will.

I would be more concerned about if the loss of an hour results in ships getting into port slightly later since they would have to increase there speed compared to normal. It wouldn't exceed an hour, but that still can throw everything else on the scheduled off that day.

On our Cruise in 2009 on the Mariner to the Mexican Riviera we were the ones that disembarked on DST day. On that cruise the Captain made the time adjustment on the first night of the 7nt cruise (or one week early) for the ship. This was also helpful so that ship time and port time were the same for all 3 stops. I am not sure if this is standard practice or not but I know this is how it happened in my experience.

We're going to be losing one hour on our upcoming cruise. Wonder if RCI will reimburse us for the hour????

Only if they can charge extra for the hour gained in the Fall when Daylight Savings time ends. :)It is just something that happens and people have to deal with it.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar question if someone may know the answer. We leave out of Miami Saturday November 1st and DST ends Nov. 2nd. Will the ship change time once we have left port? It really makes a difference at our stops and trying to book excursions on our own. Since we stop in St Thomas and San Juan which do not observe daylight savings time. So right now they are on the same time as Miami.

I have been on several cruises over time change.

They usually keep the same time that you started out with, no matter when the actual time change occured.

On the last night or 2nd to last, they will make an official ship time change with announcements.

I'm not worried about boarding. I'm worried about the time change which affects the times we reach other ports if we are on DST. San Juan and St Thomas do not observe DST times from I've researched so ship time/port time can vary. I've just hung up with Carnival and the rep told me the ship will always stay on Miami time and will fall back at 2am on 11/2 after we leave port. I may call back tomorrow and get another opinion from them as well. We don't book excursions with Carnival, we always book our own so time change is important.

I'm not worried about boarding.

She was actually replying to the original poster, whose thread you bumped. She did not read the original date of the thread, and answered him/her.

I've just hung up with Carnival and the rep told me the ship will always stay on Miami time and will fall back at 2am on 11/2 after we leave port. I may call back tomorrow and get another opinion from them as well. We don't book excursions with Carnival, we always book our own so time change is important.

You realize this is the RCI board? :):p Have you posted on the Carnival board to see what they might normally do?

The time change is at 2am...no one is boarding or disembarking at that hour!

Correct!

I always did my trans-Atlantic crossings on Cunard from east to west, Southampton to New York, so I could get an extra hour every night! Imagine the clock changing every day, except, there were no port stops. :D

I realise someone re-ignited an old thread, but to the posters joking about losing an hour and maybe being compensated for that, please consider this:

On our Honolulu to Sydney Rhapsody cruise this Sept we depart Pago Pago, American Samoa at 6pm on Mon 22 and cruise the short distance to Apia, Samoa overnight and arrive 8am on Wed 24! We lose the whole day of Tue 23rd as we cross the Date Line.:(:D:D

It's only fair though as we get our full 16N we paid for & we gain a day on our way over to Canada on Aug20, where we actually arrive in Vancouver before we left Sydney ;)