Princess To Drop Bridge Games

JEH

But I guess it's just another indication that the world's changing and young people have different interests.

I do not play bridge, but on every cruise where I know there has been a bridge director the sessions appeared to be well attended.

I suspect this was a cost cutting move, not something done for lack of passenger interest.

Depends on the definition of well attended.

If there are 100 players on any given cruise, then the odds are that 25 of them care enough about bridge to change brands (that's a rule of thumb for customer loyalty and doesn't take into effect loyalty programs, etc.)

So Princess had to figure whatever savings/revenue alternative there was would account for that 25 people or so in onboard spend (they rarely have trouble filling the cabins)

I do not play bridge, but on every cruise where I know there has been a bridge director the sessions appeared to be well attended.

I suspect this was a cost cutting move, not something done for lack of passenger interest.

Depends on the definition of well attended.

If there are 100 players on any given cruise, then the odds are that 25 of them care enough about bridge to change brands (that's a rule of thumb for customer loyalty and doesn't take into effect loyalty programs, etc.)

So Princess had to figure whatever savings/revenue alternative there was would account for that 25 people or so in onboard spend (they rarely have trouble filling the cabins)

I guess as long as they were playing bridge, they were not spending $$$ elsewhere on the ship.

I guess as long as they were playing bridge, they were not spending $$$ elsewhere on the ship.

DH (a victim of the no-bridge fiasco) says the same thing. They want everyone out there spending money on drinks and photos and coffee and who knows what else. He had made his displeasure known on every post-cruise survey we have done.

Too bad there won't be instruction on our upcoming Princess cruise. Last year, we took an Oceania cruise through the Panama Canal and I was lucky to be the only rank beginner in a group who had played a little. We enjoyed our time while learning. I guess I must simply hope to find a group to play with on my first TA!

Pretty much, plus depending on venue they may be taking up space that could be used for revenue (or a larger passenger function).

It's important to note that Princess still has the option of offering it on a given cruise, they have just stated that for the most part, don't expect it unless we specifically say otherwise, where the old position was to expect it unless we say no...

Pretty much, plus depending on venue they may be taking up space that could be used for revenue (or a larger passenger function).

It's important to note that Princess still has the option of offering it on a given cruise, they have just stated that for the most part, don't expect it unless we specifically say otherwise, where the old position was to expect it unless we say no...

The 'venue' on most Princess ships is usually a small part of one of the main dining rooms, poor at best for bridge, but not in the way of any functions.

Our last cruise had 19 sea days, I phoned Princess to make sure that a cruise director would be on board, had the answer been 'No', we would have cancelled.

john

Have to go back in the thread, also heard of skywalkers I think..

That said, as I noted the question for Princess is can we replace the cruisers who will not cruise (not who are just unhappy about it) without bridge with new ones. They think the answer is yes, and given, they haven't changed their minds, right now they seem to be correct.

The 'venue' on most Princess ships is usually a small part of one of the main dining rooms, poor at best for bridge, but not in the way of any functions.

Our last cruise had 19 sea days, I phoned Princess to make sure that a cruise director would be on board, had the answer been 'No', we would have cancelled.

john

All the major cruise lines are reducing / eliminating Bridge for both the reasons you mentioned - and more.

1. Bridge players are a dying breed; overall interest in playing bridge has been falling for over a decade.

2. Most cruse lines do not have a single employee who knows how to play or teach bridge. Hardly anyone under age 60 even knows what it is.

3. Bridge Instructors are rarely paid. They only receive a free passenger cabin. But that cabin could be sold to passengers who would spend money onboard. Reserving a passenger cabin for one year's worth of bridge instructors could cost a cruise line $250,000 per year per ship in lost revenues.

4. Bridge Instructors are lightning rods for drama. Half the people in the bridge tournaments / classes love them and the other half hate them. We usually receive endless complaints about them during the course of the cruise.

5. Since bridge instructors are no longer paid - and often have to pay their own airfare - they are getting far more demanding once onboard. They want cabin upgrades, free drinks, free excursions, etc. When they don't get what they want, they spend their bridge sessions complaining about the cruise line - eliciting more complaints about the bridge program.

6. Passengers who play bridge are notoriously frugal. Most cruise lines would prefer these people to sail on another line.

FYI: here is how placement of bridge director on a cruise usually works:

1. The cruise line contracts with a "speakers bureau" to obtain the services of the director and an assistant. Don't know whether the cruise line pays the speakers bureau (if so, this could be a cost for the cruise line).

2. The cruise line provides a "free" cabin & food for the bridge director and his/her assistant. However, at least on Princess, they must eat only in buffet & bus their own dishes (unless invited by a passenger to the dining room).

3. The bridge director and assistant pay a fee to the speakers bureau for the cruise and also pay their own airfare. In addition, they are supposed to pay tips on the cruise like regular passengers.

So, what does it cost the cruise line to have duplicate bridge?

1. It may pay a fee to the speakers bureau.

2. It provides a cabin and food for the director and assistant (note: on most longer voyages, usually not all cabins are sold to paying passengers - thus, there may not be any lost revenue for providing the "free" cabin).

3. Princess always provided "prizes" that were usually given to bridge players near the end of the cruise.

4. As was stated before (I paraphrase) - some bridge players "hate" the director/other players/etc. and cause a fuss with the cruise line's Cruise Director. This means negative feedback about duplicate bridge and may alienate folks who will no longer book travel with the cruise line. [it is too bad that the bridge directors weren't enforcing a "zero tolerance" policy like they do in most ACBL sanctioned games. This might have eliminated the players who caused the fuss with the Cruise Director.]

5. Maybe the passengers who would have played duplicate will engage in some revenue producing activity (drinking, shopping in the boutiques, etc.) if they are not playing bridge or attending bridge lessons.

Bruce - I'm somewhat surprised by item 6. Unless playing bridge takes hours upon hours, I would have thought that players would have automatic social contacts. As such, going on tours together, pre-dinner cocktails and dining in the specialty restaurants.

I'm pretty cheap myself, but that is so I can splurge on vacation!

All the major cruise lines are reducing / eliminating Bridge for both the reasons you mentioned - and more.

1. Bridge players are a dying breed; overall interest in playing bridge has been falling for over a decade.

6. Passengers who play bridge are notoriously frugal. Most cruise lines would prefer these people to sail on another line.

Bridge players are not a 'dying breed'' in my little city anyway.

When I retired, early, there were but 4 ACBL games a week, my partner and I, like as not would drive 100 miles round trip each week, for an extra game. No need for that now, there are 8 games going, with the odd extra tournament thrown in for good measure.

There are many younger players around these days, including many 'life masters,some alas would be too young to cruise without an adult!

Who claimed that bridge players were 'notoriously frugal'? No more than any other cruiser IMO, just read the advice on these boards as to how cruisers might, could, or should save money.

john

My friends who just directed on the Cunard ship stayed in a cabin for entertainers--not a passenger cabin. They were assigned to eat in the dining room at a regular table. We enjoyed having one of the entertainers and her husband assigned to our table on a Holland America cruise. She only performed one night out of the 10. Of course she also had rehearsal time before her performance to work with the band members.

2. Most cruse lines do not have a single employee who knows how to play or teach bridge. Hardly anyone under age 60 even knows what it is.

6. Passengers who play bridge are notoriously frugal.

Stereotyping much?

Well my husband and I always bought a glass of wine on our way to play bridge. We probably wouldn't have bought any more than one during the 2 hours even if we were not playing bridge. The prizes they gave was usually a cheap key ring or something similar.

• 9 months later...

I have gotten special permission to be able to run bridge on 89 day cruise sept 22 . This has several segments. I need help in letting the princess bridge world know about this. I have been a bridge director on princess previously for over 70 cruises. This may be the break thru we are looking for . I need help in publicity.

I have gotten special permission to be able to run bridge on 89 day cruise sept 22 . This has several segments. I need help in letting the princess bridge world know about this. I have been a bridge director on princess previously for over 70 cruises. This may be the break thru we are looking for . I need help in publicity.

Welcome to cruise critic! Make sure you post this information on the roll call for the cruise: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044791

Well I am elite and have never played bridge. Sounds interesting. I don't recall anything in the patter advising me about lessons. Since I am retired,maybe it is something I would take up.
Bridge is a great game. I play twice a week. Check out your local bridge club--it looks like this one may be closest to you--to see if they have classes for beginners. Edited by geoherb

Well I am elite and have never played bridge. Sounds interesting. I don't recall anything in the patter advising me about lessons. Since I am retired,maybe it is something I would take up.

Until recently, Princess had a bridge teach/director on all cruises with at least 4 sea days (I think that was the cut off). Each sea day, there was a lesson in the morning and duplicate and social play each afternoon. I always saw it in the Patter.

My wife is an avid Bridge player and certainly will take this information to her Bridge Club. She was very disappointed when Princess dropped Bridge .. This has caused us to lconsider and book other lines.

Contact Jennifer Chamberlain at princess and tell her you want to play Bridge

Welcome to cruise critic! Make sure you post this information on the roll call for the cruise: http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2044791

The OP may actually want to start a new thread here too concerning availability of bridge on that voyage.

I have a friend who writes a blog about Princess Cruises. I'll ask her if she will mention this for you.