Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

LauraS

Since there are some that want to keep this topic alive, lets take it to a new level. After all, we know this poor victim was badly beaten and raped, we know who did it (he confessed) and we know how he got in her cabin (he had a master key). The justice system will deal with these issues and that is the end of that! But the lingering question is what can HAL (or any cruise line) do to better protect passengers from similar situations? Now I have drawn a conclusion based on many years at sea (on over 65 different ships)..and the answer will not please anyone. For I do not think that the cruise lines can do much more to prevent these rare crimes. HAL already does criminal checks on their crew (or so they say) plus crew go through various interviews. No interview process is perfect and it is sometimes impossible to know what is in a person's mind or heart. So then we can look to the door locks. Marine safety rules require that multiple members of the crew have the ability to enter any cabin at any time. This is just the reality of being on a ship, and the crew having the ability to quickly "clear" each cabin in the event of an emergency. Some have raised the issue of balcony doors, but this is really not that important since this crew member could have simply waited inside the cabin for the lady to return. So after thinking about this for a few weeks we have absolutely no practical solution. We live in a world where bad people do bad things...often without any warning. This sure sounds like one of those cases. There will probably be the usual civil action (lawsuit) and HALs insurance carrier and the cruise line will probably come to some settlement agreement. But the reality is that there does not seem to be any reasonable way to prevent such a nut case from committing a horrid crime. Very frustrating.

Hank

I agree with this and the others who voiced similar feelings.

It is human nature to want to feel secure and to minimize risk. But there is a point at which risk cannot be totally eliminated without increasingly draconian effort. Who wants to stay holed up in an impenetrable room with 3-foot thick walls, no windows, and triple-filtered air for very long?

Somehow, we have to resign ourselves to this. The numbers are with us -- such things happen to a very tiny fraction of the population. We are at greater risk of injury driving our cars every day, yet no one seems to dread a car accident the way we dread the much more unlikely mugging, home invasion or (extremely unlikely) terrorist attack.

I also feel it is a highly "American" thing to want to assign blame for these horrifying events, when sometimes the only blame that can reasonably accrue is to the (often mentally disturbed) person that committed the crime. Everything gets monetized due to our court system: the rallying cry is "Someone will pay for this!"

Finally, as a solo traveler I made a personal choice long ago not to cower in my room or be afraid to go out and wander the streets of a city on my own, assuming the relative risk of crime isn't high; e.g., I'm talking Rome and Paris, not Kabul and Lebanon. I'd rather live with a (very) slightly increased risk of something bad happening than miss out on all the things that make life worth living -- for me.

I agree with this and the others who voiced similar feelings.

It is human nature to want to feel secure and to minimize risk. But there is a point at which risk cannot be totally eliminated without increasingly draconian effort. Who wants to stay holed up in an impenetrable room with 3-foot thick walls, no windows, and triple-filtered air for very long?

Somehow, we have to resign ourselves to this. The numbers are with us -- such things happen to a very tiny fraction of the population. We are at greater risk of injury driving our cars every day, yet no one seems to dread a car accident the way we dread the much more unlikely mugging, home invasion or (extremely unlikely) terrorist attack.

I also feel it is a highly "American" thing to want to assign blame for these horrifying events, when sometimes the only blame that can reasonably accrue is to the (often mentally disturbed) person that committed the crime. Everything gets monetized due to our court system: the rallying cry is "Someone will pay for this!"

Finally, as a solo traveler I made a personal choice long ago not to cower in my room or be afraid to go out and wander the streets of a city on my own, assuming the relative risk of crime isn't high; e.g., I'm talking Rome and Paris, not Kabul and Lebanon. I'd rather live with a (very) slightly increased risk of something bad happening than miss out on all the things that make life worth living -- for me.

AMEN! Living in NYC, I learned early on that I either recognized that there was an increased risk and I needed to be aware or I would be sitting in my apartment doing nothing. I opted for the former and made a point to learn things like where subway booths were (I had to relearn when they eliminated some of them), where police stations were, where safe places to go would be, etc. I have "camped" in line for rush tickets for shows both in the theatre district and outside Central Park. I'm a runner, and especially in the summer, long training runs start early. Like pre-dawn early. Have there been times I've felt uncomfortable? Yes, and I acted on that feeling (one early morning pre-run a guy was following me from car to car on the subway so I first got myself into the car where a worker was potentially and got off at the first station where I knew a booth with an attendant was, jumping out of the car at the last minute...turns out I wasn't wrong because no sooner had I gotten to the booth than I turned around and he was coming up the stairs...the attendant asked if I wanted to call the cops, but since he hadn't technically done anything other than move cars when or right after I did AND he went back downstairs to the trains in the other direction, I just opted to wait there until she confirmed that he had gotten on another train and then just started my run from there). I've learned from multiple experiences to trust my gut but not let fear rule my life.

Awareness, yes. Fear, no.

Great post, Hank! I agree that this thread should not be locked or deleted. It's still current, and I think it's of value and interest to both new and experienced cruisers. I fall into the "take reasonable precautions and don't live your life in fear" category, and even though I've travelled quite a bit, I still welcome the opportunity to learn from others' experiences and safety tips.

Great post, Hank! I agree that this thread should not be locked or deleted. It's still current, and I think it's of value and interest to both new and experienced cruisers. I fall into the "take reasonable precautions and don't live your life in fear" category, and even though I've travelled quite a bit, I still welcome the opportunity to learn from others' experiences and safety tips.

Agreed. I'm not sure why some folks would want it to go away. Whether they're bored with the subject or just don't like seeing their favorite line get bad press, they can easily just ignore this thread.

This is one of the most egregious things I've ever seen happen to a person on a cruise ship, and this needs to be followed right up to the end.

When I use to go on cruises with my mom I use to spend time alone, outside of the room, sometimes late at night. I don't recall ever feeling unsafe. You always see kids wandering around alone though, that I can't understand.

I wonder how many violent crimes on cruise ships involve targeted victims vs. random victims.

This will be my first solo cruise

Will check the veranda & leave a light on if there is one

I also have little bells for the door handles

I'm taking all the precautions I can

And always trust your GUT feeling

I'm still praying for that girl

Cinnamon123

Just recently returned from sea, so took a while to catch up on this thread. I will leave all speculation or comments on who/what/where/why to others, and the legal clarifications to Aquahound.

I would like to address the concerns that I saw earlier in the thread about cabin access. The policies on this vary from line to line, and I'm sure Copper 8-10 knows more about HAL security than anyone else, but is probably under a company edict not to talk about it.

As far as deadbolts are concerned, I know at NCL that the deadbolt will stop nearly every keycard from gaining access, but that at Princess (if I remember correctly from threads there back in Nov/Dec) that crew cards of the cabin attendants will override the deadbolt. This is stated as being for checking cabins during emergencies. At NCL, there were special keycards that were kept in the HD's safe and sent to the teams assigned to clear cabins when an emergency was sounded, that would override the deadbolt. Not sure how HAL deals with this.

Keycards are usually grouped in access levels or areas. Cabin attendants generally have cards that only allow access to the cabins assigned to them, which is why many times if you ask an attendant to open a cabin when you forget your card, they can't even if they are just next door. Their deck supervisor would have a next level master for all cabins on that deck. Room service personnel, and maintenance personnel generally have cards that allow access to any cabin, maintenance having cards that are good for passenger and crew cabins. There are also a few "hard keys" (actual keys) that will open the door if the battery pack is dead, but normally there are only about 6 of these in circulation on a ship, given to Security and Senior Officers.

Having said that there are quite a few crew who have access to your cabins, and a good number who have access to all cabins, please note that every time a card is used to open a door, the date/time and card serial number is recorded in the lock. Security can come up with a tablet and read all the times the door has been opened from the outside for the last year.

I have been involved in several cases where I have been contacted by Security because my maintenance personnel have accessed a cabin, and there was no attendant work order for that cabin (usually something had gone missing). We would check the system, find that the work order had not been processed yet, and Security could move to others who had accessed the cabin, until the problem was sorted out.

If at any time you feel that someone has had unauthorized access to your cabin, please contact Security and have them check the access log.

Now my only speculation about the case. I believe that the crewmember knew his accessing the cabin using his card when he was not on duty (yes, we even investigate when the card holder was on/off duty) would be detected as soon as the passenger reported the incident, and that he knew the cameras would have seen him, and that is why he confessed to his roommate. Both of these things are known to crew, and both are recorded.

Just recently returned from sea, so took a while to catch up on this thread. I will leave all speculation or comments on who/what/where/why to others, and the legal clarifications to Aquahound.

I would like to address the concerns that I saw earlier in the thread about cabin access. The policies on this vary from line to line, and I'm sure Copper 8-10 knows more about HAL security than anyone else, but is probably under a company edict not to talk about it.

As far as deadbolts are concerned, I know at NCL that the deadbolt will stop nearly every keycard from gaining access, but that at Princess (if I remember correctly from threads there back in Nov/Dec) that crew cards of the cabin attendants will override the deadbolt. This is stated as being for checking cabins during emergencies. At NCL, there were special keycards that were kept in the HD's safe and sent to the teams assigned to clear cabins when an emergency was sounded, that would override the deadbolt. Not sure how HAL deals with this.

Keycards are usually grouped in access levels or areas. Cabin attendants generally have cards that only allow access to the cabins assigned to them, which is why many times if you ask an attendant to open a cabin when you forget your card, they can't even if they are just next door. Their deck supervisor would have a next level master for all cabins on that deck. Room service personnel, and maintenance personnel generally have cards that allow access to any cabin, maintenance having cards that are good for passenger and crew cabins. There are also a few "hard keys" (actual keys) that will open the door if the battery pack is dead, but normally there are only about 6 of these in circulation on a ship, given to Security and Senior Officers.

Having said that there are quite a few crew who have access to your cabins, and a good number who have access to all cabins, please note that every time a card is used to open a door, the date/time and card serial number is recorded in the lock. Security can come up with a tablet and read all the times the door has been opened from the outside for the last year.

I have been involved in several cases where I have been contacted by Security because my maintenance personnel have accessed a cabin, and there was no attendant work order for that cabin (usually something had gone missing). We would check the system, find that the work order had not been processed yet, and Security could move to others who had accessed the cabin, until the problem was sorted out.

If at any time you feel that someone has had unauthorized access to your cabin, please contact Security and have them check the access log.

Now my only speculation about the case. I believe that the crewmember knew his accessing the cabin using his card when he was not on duty (yes, we even investigate when the card holder was on/off duty) would be detected as soon as the passenger reported the incident, and that he knew the cameras would have seen him, and that is why he confessed to his roommate. Both of these things are known to crew, and both are recorded.

You are correct about Princess. The room steward card does override the deadbolt. I never used to put my do not disturb sign out at night but they deliver the Princess Patter around 9:00 - 9:30pm. I was pretty surprised to hear him knock then enter my room right away while I have the deadbolt on. Good thing I was dressed or the guy would have been scared for life.

• 6 months later...

Breaking+News.jpg

Cruise ship worker pleads guilty to rape on trip out of Lauderdale

An ex-cruise ship worker admitted to a federal judge Monday that he brutally beat, raped and tried to throw a passenger overboard because he believed she insulted his mother.

With no plea bargain offered, Ketut Pujayasa, 29, in a Miami federal courtroom changed his plea to guilty on charges of attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault.

An Indonesian citizen who worked as a room-service attendant for Holland America Line, Pujayasa faces a maximum of life in prison when sentenced Dec. 8.

Pujayasa's court-appointed lawyers, Chantel Doakes and Joaquin Padilla, declined to comment on why their client opted to plea rather than face trial. They also did not disclose what length of sentence they would recommend to the judge.

The victim, identified in court documents only by her initials, plans to attend the sentencing hearing.

The woman, 31, was attacked while she slept aboard the MS Nieuw Amsterdam off the coast of Honduras on Valentine's Day.

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/1098/article/p2p-81539120/

Breaking+News.jpg

Cruise ship worker pleads guilty to rape on trip out of Lauderdale

An ex-cruise ship worker admitted to a federal judge Monday that he brutally beat, raped and tried to throw a passenger overboard because he believed she insulted his mother.

With no plea bargain offered, Ketut Pujayasa, 29, in a Miami federal courtroom changed his plea to guilty on charges of attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault.

An Indonesian citizen who worked as a room-service attendant for Holland America Line, Pujayasa faces a maximum of life in prison when sentenced Dec. 8.

Pujayasa's court-appointed lawyers, Chantel Doakes and Joaquin Padilla, declined to comment on why their client opted to plea rather than face trial. They also did not disclose what length of sentence they would recommend to the judge.

The victim, identified in court documents only by her initials, plans to attend the sentencing hearing.

The woman, 31, was attacked while she slept aboard the MS Nieuw Amsterdam off the coast of Honduras on Valentine's Day.

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/1098/article/p2p-81539120/

As upsetting as it is to be reminded of this thread and that awful incident, thank you for updating us.

Life in prison sounds just about right for this defendant. I hope it has provisions 'no possibility of parole'. He doesn't deserve to live among the rest of us.

Because of this incident I purchased a doorstop alarm and have used it in every hotel and ship since. When we are in the room/cabin and showering or sleeping I turn it on and put it beside the door so that if it is opened everyone on the floor/deck will know.

Would it prevent the same incident, no, because he was already in the cabin but it does allow me to sleep more soundly at night.

Thank you for posting the update. I still find this story horrifying.

Edited by 1of4

Pleading guilty sound like a deal was made.

That's what I thought too. If that is the case it's probably a win-win situation; (besides saving the taxpayers the cost of a trial) he probably gets less than the maximum prison time and (most importantly) the victim does not have to relive the terrifying trauma by having to testify.

Some of us are interested in hearing outcomes on things like this. I will never understand those who care whether a thread continues or not. Just please read what you're interested in and let the rest of us do the same.

This all sounds a bit too neatly packaged. An Indonesian crewman, alone and unarmed, assaults an American female, physically dragging her around the cabin. By the time the ship docks, the culprit is identified, interviews done, statements taken, investigation closed. Now there's a guilty plea with, apparently, not even a request for a deal (I believe he's Muslim, and they're not even playing the race card?). Is this all way too convenient?

Edited by Dancer Bob

This all sounds a bit too neatly packaged. An Indonesian crewman, alone and unarmed, assaults an American female, physically dragging her around the cabin. By the time the ship docks, the culprit is identified, interviews done, statements taken, investigation closed. Now there's a guilty plea with, apparently, not even a request for a deal (I believe he's Muslim, and they're not even playing the race card?). Is this all way too convenient?

My reading is a little different, and I've followed this from the start. After the assault and his unsuccessful attempts to throw her overboard, he confessed to his roommate. His roommate convinced him he would be caught and to turn himself in. He's the one who apparently gave all the details and his "reason" right up front.

The new article doesn't say that no deal was asked for, just that none was offered.

• 2 months later...

An update to this sad story. US Attorney trying to get 24 - 30 years prison time for the attacker in this incident. The passenger who was attacked is still suffering from the incident:

"The physical and psychological damage wrought by Pujayasa is still having a devastating impact on the woman 10 months later, and it is unclear if she will ever fully recover, prosecutors said.

She suffers from — and is taking medication to treat — post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic anxiety, severe depression, insomnia, hyper-vigilance and obsessive-compulsive disorder, court records show.

"[she] has feelings of fear and helplessness and has both exaggerated startle responses and recurrent distressing thoughts of the attack. She requires constant companionship. She cannot be alone. Her husband and mother alternate spending time with her," Koontz wrote."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-cruise-ship-rape-victim-20141226-story.html