Ever meet someone who really DIDN'T like cruising?

ediesbeads

We love to travel! We are planning our first cruise for December and I'm set to LOVE it! From talking to friends and family who have cruised, it looks like once you start you quickly get addicted. :) So did you ever meet someone who really doesn't like cruising? If so, what did they dislike?

One of my family members really does not like cruising. He went on one cruise that had a group on it he did not like. He does not like to be in a situation where he can't leave if he wants to. It's a shame he can't be more open to everyone. It really limits his vacation choices.

Cruising is not for everyone.

Margee

I have a really good friend who has gone on a few weekend cruises with her girlfriends but really prefers not to. She is totally a play-it-by-ear and see-how-things-go type of person who dislikes how dining, activities and tours are all on the ship's schedule, while I am the kind of person who appreciates the ship helping me plan my day by leaving the next day's program on my bed each night. On one cruise she and her friends overslept and missed their tour--and I suspect if she took another cruise she might miss the ship as she can just be getting interested in walking around the port by mid afternoon. If I could find a cruise where every port call was 2 PM to Midnight--and full breakfast was still available in the dining room at 10:30 or 11--I might be able to persuade her to come with me.

Edited by fishywood

We have a good friend who travels quite a bit, but does not enjoy cruises. In particular, he does not like the limited exposure associated with a brief port stop. He also is not fond of the banquet-style food in the MDR.

My good friend really wanted to go on a cruise so finally her husband agreed. But a week before they left he said that they were going to have a really bad time because he didn't want to go. They had a really bad time. My friend knew that it was because of him but he has decided that they will never cruise again. And even though he goes away for 4 weeks (all his vacation time) by himself hunting and fishing she isn't "allowed" to go with me on a cruise. She is retired and they have money so that isn't the issue, just he decides what and when they can do things.

When they went he decided that he was going to stay in the room except to get off the ship at a port, look around and decide that it was a horrible place and that they needed to get back on the ship. He didn't want to go to the MDR for meals and complained that all they had to eat all week was at a buffet. At one point she managed to go and play bingo by herself. I am amazed that he allowed her to do that.

tigercat

My good friend really wanted to go on a cruise so finally her husband agreed. But a week before they left he said that they were going to have a really bad time because he didn't want to go. They had a really bad time. My friend knew that it was because of him but he has decided that they will never cruise again. And even though he goes away for 4 weeks (all his vacation time) by himself hunting and fishing she isn't "allowed" to go with me on a cruise. She is retired and they have money so that isn't the issue, just he decides what and when they can do things.

When they went he decided that he was going to stay in the room except to get off the ship at a port, look around and decide that it was a horrible place and that they needed to get back on the ship. He didn't want to go to the MDR for meals and complained that all they had to eat all week was at a buffet. At one point she managed to go and play bingo by herself. I am amazed that he allowed her to do that.

tigercat

WOW! Too bad he is so overcontrolling. I hope it is a relationship that works for her. If not, she should take her retirement and go on a cruise! A looooong one.

If DH told me what to do, rather than making decisions with me, he would quickly discover that he was my first ex husband. It did take me ten years to get him on a cruise ship, because he thought he wouldn't like cruising. He found out he loves cruising!

After we had gone on our first cruise and came back loving the idea of cruising, some friends of ours decided to book a cruise on Carnival. He came back grumbling saying he would never cruise again. What a horrible vacation.

I kept thinking to myself...What they heck went wrong, what did Carnival do to him that has him hating cruising.

Turns out it had nothing to do with Carnival and after getting a chance to sit down and visit with him he said, he did not like cruising because all it was an expensive shopping trip. He wanted to see some history of the place and learn about the culture. A little more prodding and I found out that they did no research and did not even know you could take excursions to see the history etc.

I tried to explain to him that with a little planning and research you could have all the history you wanted and the fun of the ship. He said he wont go again.

I quit asking after a year or so and after coming back with photos from our next 2 cruises. We used to vacation together, now we cruise and they go their own way. I miss vacationing with them, but love cruising

Edited by deladypilot

Many. I'll qualify that. Think I have met many on various trips because I have heard the same people complain about everything from the soap used to wash the sheets to the temperature of the orange juice in the buffet to a lady who was complaining that she expected to stop at a new port every day... on a trans Atlantic. I'm sure I've met many. I thankfully have not had to associate with any.

I really didn't much like cruising until I discovered sea days. I had been on a couple of cruises (one because I friend wanted to go, one was a graduation gift), but didn't really like them........then I went on an Alaskan cruise because it was a family trip. The part I liked best was when we were far from land and had no port stops.

Remembering that, I booked a transatlantic years later with 8 sea days and 1 port day, and loved it. My next will be a transpacific with 13 sea days and 1 port day, and I expect I'll love that too. I'll probably never sail on a cruise with more than a couple of ports -- the fewer ports the better. I would say I don't like cruising to ports, but I like cruising at sea.

Our neighbors went on an Alaskan cruise -- only vacation they ever did.

They hated flying across country -- never went on a plane again.

Hated the small cabin -- the food -- the entertainment. And they didn't even like Alaska.

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "too bad".

Some people enjoy being negative and miserable.

Have a friend who cruised with us and another couple. His first cruise. We went to Mexico on a 7-day. He immediately became seasick, then our first port of call, Acapulco, he was mobbed by the locals... culture shock set in, he returned to the ship and never got off again until we were back home. We tease him but he will never get on another cruise again, his wife enjoyed every minute though.

That would be me. I prefer land vacations, I only tried cruising because my friend loved it (she used to have a sailboat) and she wanted to cruise.

Our first 4 cruises were short 3 & 4 day cruises. Then we did a 12 day New England/Canada cruise. I about went stir crazy on the sea days. Then we hit a storm and really high seas. I don't care for the motion of the ocean and someone else being in charge. You have no control whatsoever.

Add to that the fact that the cruiseline can and does have it in their contract that they can change the itinerary for weather, mechanical problems or for any reason whatsoever. I choose the cruise for the itinerary, and was not a happy camper when we missed Mykonos and slowly sailed on to Athens. Or missing Astoria after having a lovely tea booked there for my Birthday Celebration.

After my last cruise in Sept 2011, with high winds, stormy seas, missed ports, I've decided no more cruises in my immediate future.

I live in Southern California and have a whole lot of Country that I can drive to for vacations. Keeping my feet firmly planted on solid ground (unless there is an earthquake of course).

It really is a case of different strokes for different folks. Happy travels to all.:D

We love to travel! We are planning our first cruise for December and I'm set to LOVE it! From talking to friends and family who have cruised, it looks like once you start you quickly get addicted. :) So did you ever meet someone who really doesn't like cruising? If so, what did they dislike?

My brother hates to cruise. He says the mediocre food, lousy entertainment, and tiny pools are not for him.

tigercat

OMG. Your poor friend. Her husband sounds awful. She should leave him at home and go cruising. Why should he dictate what she does. Awful, just awful.

That would be me. I prefer land vacations, I only tried cruising because my friend loved it (she used to have a sailboat) and she wanted to cruise.

Our first 4 cruises were short 3 & 4 day cruises. Then we did a 12 day New England/Canada cruise. I about went stir crazy on the sea days. Then we hit a storm and really high seas. I don't care for the motion of the ocean and someone else being in charge. You have no control whatsoever.

Add to that the fact that the cruiseline can and does have it in their contract that they can change the itinerary for weather, mechanical problems or for any reason whatsoever. I choose the cruise for the itinerary, and was not a happy camper when we missed Mykonos and slowly sailed on to Athens. Or missing Astoria after having a lovely tea booked there for my Birthday Celebration.

After my last cruise in Sept 2011, with high winds, stormy seas, missed ports, I've decided no more cruises in my immediate future.

I live in Southern California and have a whole lot of Country that I can drive to for vacations. Keeping my feet firmly planted on solid ground (unless there is an earthquake of course).

It really is a case of different strokes for different folks. Happy travels to all.:D

:) I wonder if there isn't a tiny piece of you that thinks you might cruise again.........

Afterall, you are still visiting CruiseCritic ;) and we are happy you are!!

Maybe just the right cruise, right itinerary, right conditions might arise to interest you. If not, that is most assuredly just fine.

Happy travels.

My father-in-law would never agree to go on a cruise (passed away in '09). He was a Merchant Marine and spent a 50 year career on tankers. While he was very proud of being the yooungest in the US Merchant Marines to have his Chief Engineer licenses and stayed long enough to be the most senior licensed Chier Engineer, to him getting on a ship was work. He just refused to do it.

I guess if you spend half you working life on a ship it kinda gets old.