HAL Cancellation Protection Plan - Big tick

cruiseonecer

Just a note to advise that I recently had the unfortunate need to cancel a planned NZ cruise with only 4 weeks notice due to urgent unforeseen medical needs for my wife. I had paid the little bit extra for the CPP, and after a very quick, no questions asked, phone call to the HAL office in this country, a refund of 80% of the cruise cost was received in 2 days.

A big thank you to HAL for that.

Now I only need to jump through the hoops of the travel insurance cover, which was free through my credit card, to recover the remainder. :(

Edited by cruiseonecer

Is this "CPP" available only if you get HAL insurance?

It IS HAL insurance.

Just make note that HAL's best coverage only includes $10,000 for medical. If you do not have usual medical insurance that will pay outside the country, you may wish to pay attention to buying travel insurance that will pay in case of illness or accident. The $10,000 doesn't go very far.

CPP is HAL's insurance - the Cancellation Protection Plan. CPP covers 80% of refundable costs and the "Platinum" option covers 90%.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Changes+%26+Cancellations&contentSubMenu=Cancellation+Protection+Plans#

Edited by catl331

No, it's pretty standard. You just have to make sure that there aren't any glaring exclusions, like force majeure, which would leave you uncovered in the event of weather delays.

And, as others have stated, make sure that the medical coverage /evacuation is adequate. Finally, read up on your credit card coverages, especially if you have a premium card.

It IS HAL insurance.

Just make note that HAL's best coverage only includes $10,000 for medical. If you do not have usual medical insurance that will pay outside the country, you may wish to pay attention to buying travel insurance that will pay in case of illness or accident. The $10,000 doesn't go very far.

Does the HAL insurance pay first, before your own insurance? (I have a Medicare supplement plan F.

DaveOKC

We just recently had to cancel a cruise at the last minute due to thousands of flights being cancelled.

We also had the CPP insurance and got our 90% back right away. Also got everything else back -- flights, etc.

Did you book your flight through HAL? I was thinking one of the perks for doing that is that you can get your money back (90%) for "any reason". Otherwise, I don't think the insurance you can purchase when you buy your air indendantly will cover cancellation, except for illness.

CPP is HAL's insurance - the Cancellation Protection Plan. CPP covers 80% of refundable costs and the "Platinum" option covers 90%.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Changes+%26+Cancellations&contentSubMenu=Cancellation+Protection+Plans#

Sorry just still a bit confused. We get insurance thru AAA… is this HAL CCP in addition to outside insurance? Didn't know if what something we should be looking at in addition to AAA.

Also Medicare doesn't pay outside of the US, correct?

... get your money back (90%) for "any reason".
90% only with the Platinum. 80% with the standard CPP.

Sorry just still a bit confused. We get insurance thru AAA… is this HAL CCP in addition to outside insurance? Didn't know if what something we should be looking at in addition to AAA.
With AAA and most 3rd party insurance you need a valid reason to cancel ... medical or death in your immediate family ... or have transportation problems that prevent you from getting there. With the HAL plans you can simply change your mind, and decide not to go, up to 24 hours with the CPP or sailing time with the CPPP. If you have both AAA and CPP(P), you will have overlapping coverage, but I don't know which pays first.

Also, as LindaM pointed out, if you only have HAL coverage, then anything that you didn't book through HAL (air, hotels) you have no coverage for except what your credit card may provide.

Also many 3rd party plans exclude pre-existing medical conditions, which HAL's do not.

Correct.

Edited by jtl513

While medicare does not pay, your medicare supplemental policy may (not all do).

Advantage policies may also - so you need to check yours carefully.

DaveOKC

Does the CPP also cover if you start your cruise but have to leave early?

(Due to circumstances that may arise)

Yes. Read sections II and III under "Do You Offer A Cancellation Protection Plan?" in the link given in post #6. Edited by catl331

Does the HAL insurance pay first, before your own insurance? (I have a Medicare supplement plan F.

DaveOKC

In our case, during an interruption of a HAL cruise, where we had medical expenses on board, our Medicare supplemental plan had to deny it first, before the HAL insurance paid. I assume if your supplemental pays it all for you that HAL would pay nothing,or if it paid part, HAL would pay the difference. Big assumption as I am not that uo on insurance.

DaveOKC

While medicare does not pay, your medicare supplemental policy may (not all do).

Advantage policies may also - so you need to check yours carefully.

DaveOKC

Be very careful about Medicare and Supplemental policies and whether they pay outside U.S. Many (most/all ?) Supplemental Part B policies have a lifetime limit of outside U.S. at $50,000. Some will not pay outside U.S.

Be sure you know and understand all the terms of your particular policy.

We started purchasing 3rd party medical coverage for our cruises. We didn't care about insuring the price of the cruise/air/hotel and that is what pushes up the premiums. To purchase just medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage is very low premium and the one we have is primary payer. The premiums are so low in comparison to the price of our cruises/trips that it makes no sense for us to risk getting ill or having an accident outside the country and then learning Supplemental won't pay. That is where huge bills can be run up and we don't want to risk that.

Be very careful about Medicare and Supplemental policies and whether they pay outside U.S. Many (most/all ?) Supplemental Part B policies have a lifetime limit of outside U.S. at $50,000. Some will not pay outside U.S.

Be sure you know and understand all the terms of your particular policy.

We started purchasing 3rd party medical coverage for our cruises. We didn't care about insuring the price of the cruise/air/hotel and that is what pushes up the premiums. To purchase just medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage is very low premium and the one we have is primary payer. The premiums are so low in comparison to the price of our cruises/trips that it makes no sense for us to risk getting ill or having an accident outside the country and then learning Supplemental won't pay. That is where huge bills can be run up and we don't want to risk that.

We do the exact same, purchase medical coverage (especially evac insurance) but not the trip itself.

• 2 months later...
I would like to know where too!

Try Med-jet and TravelGuard Med Evac. I believe that they take care of the necessary medical treatment necessary to stabllize a person and the cost of med-evacuation back to the U.S. Very, very reasonable premiums.

DaveOKC

Be sure you read all the fine print details for the Plan F Medicare Supplement coverage. It doesn't seem to cover as much as what I thought it did when I chose that plan.

On the other hand, after ten cruises or so the accumulated trip cancellation insurance premiums would pay for another cruise. You get piece of mind but not really dollars ahead (unless you cancel a lot of cruises). They wouldn't sell trip cancellation insurance if it wasn't profitable. I would only buy trip cancellation insurance for an extraordinary cruise or foreseen circumstances.

I am not talking about medical insurance. Everyone should be covered for medical emergencies.

igraf

We just recently had to cancel a cruise at the last minute due to thousands of flights being cancelled.

We also had the CPP insurance and got our 90% back right away. Also got everything else back -- flights, etc.

Edited by igraf

Try Med-jet and TravelGuard Med Evac. I believe that they take care of the necessary medical treatment necessary to stabllize a person and the cost of med-evacuation back to the U.S. Very, very reasonable premiums.

Thank You

Dear all

I just follow all your answer about the refund

I do have a different approach - would you please tell me what is the refund if you cancel the cruise well ahead of final payment - is it still 100 % ?

What is, if one already increased the first booking fare, in order to pay in several steps till mandatory final payment. Does this also grants you a 100% refund ?

Happy cruising and thanks for answering

G E R D