Diamond and Concierge lounge question.

Spurschick

Hi all,

Sorry to trouble you all if this has already been answered somewhere but wanted some feedback.

If I am reading correctly minors are now allowed on both lounges on an evening during free drinks provided they are accompanied by an adult.

Whilst my 12 year old is polite and well mannered and I am aware society is changing its views towards children in certain environments, I am also conscientious that both these environments were originally intended for adults only to relax and unwind.

Last year the cruise we were on only had a section roped off in the Viking lounge and we sat the other side of the ropes with her as we did not feel comfortable taking her into the private section. As she is now growing up (quickly!) I was just trying to gage feedback on what other users of these lounges feel is an appropriate age to introduce them to the lounges without having eyebrows raised as we walk in:)

Knowing my DD she will probably be happy off doing her own thing, but wondered how long time cruisers view these changes.

Thanks for you input

It was different on the Oasis last month when I cruised. They welcomed well behaved minors in the concierge lounge, including the evening cocktail hour. In the diamond lounge minors were allowed, except during the evening cocktail hour.

RCI policy (on all ships) is minors are allowed into the CL anytime...In the DL anytime "other" than the cocktail hours 5:00-8:30pm...However this policy can be changed (as some have reported) at the discretion of the DL concierge onboard when it comes to the DL...If this has recently changed I'm sure someone will post.

It was different on the Oasis last month when I cruised. They welcomed well behaved minors in the concierge lounge, including the evening cocktail hour. In the diamond lounge minors were allowed, except during the evening cocktail hour.

That is correct in our experience as well. Accompanied minors are allowed in the Concierge Lounge at all times and accompanied minors are allowed in the Diamond Club except during the cocktail hour, which typically is 5:00 - 8:30 PM. We have never seen minor children in the Diamond Club during the cocktail hour.

That is because the Concierge Lounge is stateroom based as a lounge for Suite guests, which includes families with minor children, whereas the Diamond Club is Crown and Anchor tier based lounge for Diamond and higher members.

(Diamond Plus / Pinnacle C & A members also have access to the CL, and suite guests who are also Diamond and higher can have access to the DC, but not including minors during the cocktail hour).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They start out cute, but by the end of the cruise, many become royal pains, and some parents think the concierges are there to entertain and cater to them! Sorry, but you wouldn't take your Children to a cocktail party at home, and basically that is what you're doing on the ship.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

Sorry to trouble you all if this has already been answered somewhere but wanted some feedback.

If I am reading correctly minors are now allowed on both lounges on an evening during free drinks provided they are accompanied by an adult.

Whilst my 12 year old is polite and well mannered and I am aware society is changing its views towards children in certain environments, I am also conscientious that both these environments were originally intended for adults only to relax and unwind.

Last year the cruise we were on only had a section roped off in the Viking lounge and we sat the other side of the ropes with her as we did not feel comfortable taking her into the private section. As she is now growing up (quickly!) I was just trying to gage feedback on what other users of these lounges feel is an appropriate age to introduce them to the lounges without having eyebrows raised as we walk in:)

Knowing my DD she will probably be happy off doing her own thing, but wondered how long time cruisers view these changes.

Thanks for you input

I use both lounges, have seen kids in both, and would have absolutely no problem. I'd say bring your daughter with you, and let her try one of those cherry cokes. She should be fine, unless she's bored and would rather do her own thing, but do what works best for your family - take her and see how it goes.

Judy

I think that this is a bit harsh. I have never seen this happen with children, but I have seen this happen with adults.

They start out cute, but by the end of the

cruise, many become royal pains, and some parents think the concierges are there to entertain and cater to them! Sorry, but you wouldn't take your Children to a cocktail party at home, and basically that is what you're doing on the ship.

RCI policy (on all ships) is minors are allowed into the CL anytime...In the DL anytime "other" than the cocktail hours 5:00-8:30pm...However this policy can be changed (as some have reported) at the discretion of the DL concierge onboard when it comes to the DL...If this has recently changed I'm sure someone will post.

This is supposed to be the correct answer. (except there is NOT supposed to be any "discretion" on the part of the Diamond Concierge!!!!)

In reality................ :rolleyes:

Edited by Merion_Mom

I use both lounges, have seen kids in both, and would have absolutely no problem. I'd say bring your daughter with you, and let her try one of those cherry cokes. She should be fine, unless she's bored and would rather do her own thing, but do what works best for your family - take her and see how it goes.

Judy

But be prepared for the Concierge in the Diamond Club to possibly ask you to take her out during the cocktail hour. I have witnessed that in that lounge. Not so in the Concierge lounge, however, as previously stated.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They start out cute, but by the end of the cruise, many become royal pains, and some parents think the concierges are there to entertain and cater to them! Sorry, but you wouldn't take your Children to a cocktail party at home, and basically that is what you're doing on the ship.

Not all children misbehave nor do all parents expect someone else to cater to their kids. And I wholeheartedly agree, bad behavior of any sort should be removed from the refined environment that the lounge should have. I will say however, that I've seen many adult behaving far worse after a few too many drinks in the CL than I have kids. Bad behavior at any age is inappropriate.

My sons enjoy being "grown up". It is good for them to learn how one should behave in such a social situation. We enjoy having cocktails/mocktails together as a family before dinner. If my boys misbehaved or were bored, I would be the first to send them back to our room.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is supposed to be the correct answer. (except there is NOT supposed to be any "discretion" on the part of the Diamond Concierge!!!!)

Normally we don't see kids in the DL during the cocktail period but one Concierge let them in and put it in his letter to Diamonds that children were allowed. So it can be a discretion thing.

Thank you all for your replies. And I appreciate all the feedback.

We are D+. Whilst on the Adventure last year there was no door into the Diamond area from recollection and most people were just walking in (one family with a toddler every night).

There was no Diamond host in sight and the Bartender was serving whoever. I thought it was strange and I went in with my parents every night after dinner and my DD had gone to Adventure Ocean. In the past I have always frequented the Diamond lounge more as whilst I am D+ my parents were only diamond back then and hence why the choice for me.

I am aware though that on ships that don't have a Diamond lounge and just host the evening drinks that don't include spirits, most D+ passengers would go to the CL instead for choice. It is probably fair to assume that they have noticed the changes in the CL the most with the new policy.

Whilst I have never taken my DD to the diamond lounge, I have on several occasions been invited to bring her which I found baffling. Not sure if this is because the staff have children themselves and love the family feeling, but I have certainly found the attitude in the DL to be becoming a lot more relaxed.

I fully understand the comment regarding "you would not take a child to a cocktail party", but something tells me eventually if it is policy in the CL it will become policy in the diamond lounge from sheer pressure as there is little to differentiate the environment or purpose of the two lounges.

I enjoy the adult only atmosphere of the DL as i can enjoy myself and unwind. Am a little surprised by the relaxation of the CL seeing as it was always full at the best of times.

I have taken my teens into the CL many times. They enjoy the adult atmosphere and love the cherry cokes the bartenders make. But I have never gone to the Diamond lounge, as we are lowly platinum!

I am glad your teens enjoy.

Most teens are aware, especially if experienced cruisers, on how to behave. However if toddlers and babies are going in does it spoil the experience? Did you see any really young children?

I am glad your teens enjoy.

Most teens are aware, especially if experienced cruisers, on how to behave. However if toddlers and babies are going in does it spoil the experience? Did you see any really young children?

I haven't seen any toddlers or babies. My boys were probably 10 and 12 when we started cruising on Royal and they went in their first CL. I personally wouldn't care IF they were well supervised and if they started to fuss or cry, they should be taken out of the lounge. I think of it similar to a fine restaurant- as long as everyone behaves appropriately, then I will enjoy myself.

Not all children misbehave nor do all parents expect someone else to cater to their kids. And I wholeheartedly agree, bad behavior of any sort should be removed from the refined environment that the lounge should have. I will say however, that I've seen many adult behaving far worse after a few too many drinks in the CL than I have kids. Bad behavior at any age is inappropriate.

My sons enjoy being "grown up". It is good for them to learn how one should behave in such a social situation. We enjoy having cocktails/mocktails together as a family before dinner. If my boys misbehaved or were bored, I would be the first to send them back to our room.

I agree wholeheartedly! Every cruise we go on we see some absolutely delightful children / teens :) and others that just run riot.:mad:

Same can be said for some of the adults:o

We were on the Serenade last week, and we brought our 7 year old daughter to the Diamond Lounge during "cocktail hour". The staff would bring her a Shirley Temple each night, and she would stay for 15-20 before we took her down to the Adventure Ocean. Except for me dancing with her for one song on the first night, she sat in a chair with us, and didn't run around going crazy. Telling her that she can't have a dark chocolate treat from the dessert tray unless she sat quietly works wonders! :p

We were on the Serenade last week, and we brought our 7 year old daughter to the Diamond Lounge during "cocktail hour". The staff would bring her a Shirley Temple each night, and she would stay for 15-20 before we took her down to the Adventure Ocean. Except for me dancing with her for one song on the first night, she sat in a chair with us, and didn't run around going crazy. Telling her that she can't have a dark chocolate treat from the dessert tray unless she sat quietly works wonders! :p

I am glad she enjoyed herself! Sometimes these moments make the little ones feel really special.

Sorry, but you wouldn't take your Children to a cocktail party at home, and basically that is what you're doing on the ship.

I think that is a great observation. It seems that some expect EVERY venue and EVERY event to be open to their children and anyone who disagrees is being unreasonable & selfish. I'm sorry, but there's absolutely nothing wrong or "politically incorrect" with expecting SOME venues and SOME events to be for the adults. Just as it would be inappropriate for a group of adults to show up and expect equal access to the kids H2O Zone.

Yep, agree!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

That is correct in our experience as well. Accompanied minors are allowed in the Concierge Lounge at all times and accompanied minors are allowed in the Diamond Club except during the cocktail hour, which typically is 5:00 - 8:30 PM. We have never seen minor children in the Diamond Club during the cocktail hour.

That is because the Concierge Lounge is stateroom based as a lounge for Suite guests, which includes families with minor children, whereas the Diamond Club is Crown and Anchor tier based lounge for Diamond and higher members.

(Diamond Plus / Pinnacle C & A members also have access to the CL, and suite guests who are also Diamond and higher can have access to the DC, but not including minors during the cocktail hour).

I never really understood the difference in rules regarding children in the CL versus the DL. That makes sense! Thanks. :)

I agree with both comments.

Please don't think I expect any different for our DD. My concern is if some ships are a little more lax in enforcing the DL policies and parents are receiving this privilege on one ship they then "expect" it on every sailing there after. The discrepancies in the policy between ships / sailings kind of gives out a mixed message.

It would be so much easier if there was one standard for diamond lounges across the board one way or the other, just as there is for concierge. That way everyone knows where they stand. Seeing as I am d+ it does not bother me one way or the other as I know I can acceptably take our DD to the CL lounge instead IF we choose and we have options.

I never really understood the difference in rules regarding children in the CL versus the DL. That makes sense! Thanks. :)

Agreed Coralc!

It can be confusing. I can imagine though some parents could possibly argue that their children are. Diamond or above status and hence why should they be entitled to use the venue just as minors are suite guests!!

(By the way I personally wouldn't but I know a lot of parents that would!!!!)

Edited by Spurschick
Spelling

Normally we don't see kids in the DL during the cocktail period but one Concierge let them in and put it in his letter to Diamonds that children were allowed. So it can be a discretion thing.

That's my point. That is the reason that I put the "supposed" in quotes.

A Diamond Lounge Concierge is NOT supposed to have "discretion" to change company policy. Company policy is that children CAN be in the Concierge Lounge during cocktail hours. Company policy is that children CANNOT be in the Diamond Lounge during cocktail hours.

Thank you all for your replies. And I appreciate all the feedback.

We are D+. Whilst on the Adventure last year there was no door into the Diamond area from recollection and most people were just walking in (one family with a toddler every night).

There was no Diamond host in sight and the Bartender was serving whoever. I thought it was strange and I went in with my parents every night after dinner and my DD had gone to Adventure Ocean. In the past I have always frequented the Diamond lounge more as whilst I am D+ my parents were only diamond back then and hence why the choice for me.

I am aware though that on ships that don't have a Diamond lounge and just host the evening drinks that don't include spirits, most D+ passengers would go to the CL instead for choice. It is probably fair to assume that they have noticed the changes in the CL the most with the new policy.

Whilst I have never taken my DD to the diamond lounge, I have on several occasions been invited to bring her which I found baffling. Not sure if this is because the staff have children themselves and love the family feeling, but I have certainly found the attitude in the DL to be becoming a lot more relaxed.

I fully understand the comment regarding "you would not take a child to a cocktail party", but something tells me eventually if it is policy in the CL it will become policy in the diamond lounge from sheer pressure as there is little to differentiate the environment or purpose of the two lounges.

I enjoy the adult only atmosphere of the DL as i can enjoy myself and unwind. Am a little surprised by the relaxation of the CL seeing as it was always full at the best of times.

On ships like the Adventure of the Seas, where there is no Diamond Lounge, there is a "Diamond Event." Only soda and wines are free. Beer and drinks are available for 25% off regular prices. Different situation, different rules. Kids are not banned.

"Dancing" in the DL :confused::eek::D