Diamond and Concierge lounge question.

Spurschick

This subject gets really heated.

First to the OP –The CL allows children at any time. If that is where you will be enjoying your time, you do not have to feel badly about bringing a child in. She is permitted!

Don’t worry about alcohol, Alcohol is offered (even hawked) at most every venue of the ship and children are present at those venue. Think pool, theater, dining room, private island ( heck they even have a beer truck there). There is really no difference. The CL is not a dark back street bar, but more of a room to meet and speak with others. Many there (sometimes including me) are not even drinking alcohol .

Regarding the posts about the kids having the CL seats, kids have seats at all the venues in which they are permitted (and they are permitted in the CL) – theater, pool, etc. At least for the lounge, folks come and go, so seats will open up.

As for the DL, or any Diamond event roped off area, --I have not had an occasion to travel with minors for many years and do not know the rules.

Enjoy

M

***BAM*** You nailed it.

I think that is a great observation. It seems that some expect EVERY venue and EVERY event to be open to their children and anyone who disagrees is being unreasonable & selfish. I'm sorry, but there's absolutely nothing wrong or "politically incorrect" with expecting SOME venues and SOME events to be for the adults. Just as it would be inappropriate for a group of adults to show up and expect equal access to the kids H2O Zone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

A few comments and observations from a newbie cruiser :)

On our last cruise, the concerierge asked us to refrain from bringing our son (who was one month shy of 4) to the CL during cocktail hour as they wanted to keep this an adult-only event. It was a request, which I thought was very reasonable, and one that we complied with every night except for one (we neded to talk to Francis one night, so we did pop in quickly).

But, and this is a big but, my wife and I don't drink, so cocktail hour and free drinks have no appeal to us. So was very easy for us to avoid the CL then. However, there may be many other suite guests who would enjoy this perk, and if they are traveling with children, they really do not have any option but to bring them. AO is closed during the cocktail hour, you cannot get in-room baby sitting until later in the evening, and no decent parent should let their young children run around the ship or visit pools unattended ;) So, for these people who paid a premium for their suites, and want to enjoy a free cocktail, there is no option but to bring their kids.

I agree that the children should be supervised and removed if they cannot obey; however, we all know that there are parents who will not - but you cannot punish everyone just because there are some bad ones out there.

One way to fix this would be to move the free cocktail hour to 7 or 7:30pm, and then enforce the no kid rule. AO would be open then, so parents would have an option, and those without children could enjoy their adult-only time. Win-win.

Edited by RSLeesburg
Added cocktail hour comment

One way to fix this would be to move the free cocktail hour to 7 or 7:30pm, and then enforce the no kid rule. AO would be open then, so parents would have an option, and those without children could enjoy their adult-only time. Win-win.

The one problem with moving the time is that a cocktail hour's origins were for pre-dinner drinks. While we know those origins are lost on many, there are some who still treat it that way and may miss out if they had early seating dining. I'm a little surprised about be asked not to bring the child. The CL has been open to children for quite a while.

The one problem with moving the time is that a cocktail hour's origins were for pre-dinner drinks. While we know those origins are lost on many, there are some who still treat it that way and may miss out if they had early seating dining. I'm a little surprised about be asked not to bring the child. The CL has been open to children for quite a while.

The CL on Grandeur is tiny :). If all the suite guest showed up, and assuming just 2 people per suite, that little room would be standing room only. I was not offended by the request, but I can imagine (based on comments I have read), some suite guests might be...lol. I was only trying to point out that I think some concierges are trying to balance the wishes of the adults and loyalty members against the stated policies.

Ah, I knew that - pre-dinner drinks (well, I remembered it as soon as you said it...lol). But aren't there multiple cocktail hours, or are both CL and DL held at same time? I was thinking you could alter then, so one night early is in CL and late in DL, then the next night you swap the order.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If they are going to make time adjustments, wouldn't it make more sense to move the AO hours so that it is open while the adults are enjoying happy hour in the CL and DL? The cocktail hour is generally considered to be a pre-dinner activity and moving it to 7 or 7:30 would not fit in with the dining schedule of most passengers.

However, the line has established a policy allowing minors in the lounge during cocktail time and unless their behavior is unruly, they have every right to be there.

If they are going to make time adjustments, wouldn't it make more sense to move the AO hours so that it is open while the adults are enjoying happy hour in the CL and DL? The cocktail hour is generally considered to be a pre-dinner activity and moving it to 7 or 7:30 would not fit in with the dining schedule of most passengers.

However, the line has established a policy allowing minors in the lounge during cocktail time and unless their behavior is unruly, they have every right to be there.

That would work too - opening AO a bit sooner, or maybe just open it for the suite guests.

Yes, there is a policy, which is not well liked by the majority of posters - so, why not offer parents some means to attend child-free. I would think most parents would prefer to have a drink in an adult-only atmosphere. But for people to hammer them when there is no other choice seems unfair.

That would work too - opening AO a bit sooner, or maybe just open it for the suite guests.

Yes, there is a policy, which is not well liked by the majority of posters - so, why not offer parents some means to attend child-free. I would think most parents would prefer to have a drink in an adult-only atmosphere. But for people to hammer them when there is no other choice seems unfair.

Well, there is a choice - and there is even currently some overlap in the hours. Adventure Ocean opens at 7PM, at which time they could drop off the kids and go up to the Lounge for an hour of free cocktails, which ends at 8:00. What there's not an alternative for, I guess, is if they want to park there for the entire time that free cocktails are being provided. I think very few are there for the whole time anyway.

A few comments and observations from a newbie cruiser :)

On our last cruise, the concerierge asked us to refrain from bringing our son (who was one month shy of 4) to the CL during cocktail hour as they wanted to keep this an adult-only event. It was a request, which I thought was very reasonable, and one that we complied with every night except for one (we neded to talk to Francis one night, so we did pop in quickly).

In my opinion - That was NOT a reasonable request by the Concierge and further is in conflict with the current cruise line policy. It is a shame that you were not permitted to enjoy a suite amenity to which you were entitled.

Children are permitted in the CL. The CL cocktail hour is NOT designated as an adult only event anymore. (Perhaps you sailed prior to children being permitted in the CL. ) I don't know the exact date of the policy change or if it was fleet wide on the same date.

Enjoy

M

In my opinion - That was NOT a reasonable request by the Concierge and further is in conflict with the current cruise line policy. It is a shame that you were not permitted to enjoy a suite amenity to which you were entitled.

You beat me to it. I would not have been happy to have paid for a suite - with all the amenities it brings (including CL) - and being asked not to bring my child in (presumably because some other guests had put pressure on the Concierge).

We were alarmed to see the glaring looks some other guests were giving a family with (well-behaved) children in the CL on one of our recent cruisers. They were clearly unhappy that children were there (although they didn't impinge at all on their space)

And my kids are grown up so I have no axe to grind about bringing them into a lounge.

Well, there is a choice - and there is even currently some overlap in the hours. Adventure Ocean opens at 7PM, at which time they could drop off the kids and go up to the Lounge for an hour of free cocktails, which ends at 8:00. What there's not an alternative for, I guess, is if they want to park there for the entire time that free cocktails are being provided. I think very few are there for the whole time anyway.

I thought cocktail hour was an hour - 4:30 - 5:30, just before early seating. No one told me it went till 8pm! My god, how are they making any money giving away all that free alcohol. :).

I thought cocktail hour was an hour - 4:30 - 5:30, just before early seating. No one told me it went till 8pm! My god, how are they making any money giving away all that free alcohol. :).

I can’t answer for anyone but myself. I generally have one alcoholic drink a night, and rarely any of the food. Not a big deal to RCCL considering my accommodations or cruise loyalty that allows provides the benefit. Also – the wine/liquor is not high end.

I also use the lounge during the day and have at least 2 specialty coffees.

enjoy

M

You beat me to it. I would not have been happy to have paid for a suite - with all the amenities it brings (including CL) - and being asked not to bring my child in (presumably because some other guests had put pressure on the Concierge).

We were alarmed to see the glaring looks some other guests were giving a family with (well-behaved) children in the CL on one of our recent cruisers. They were clearly unhappy that children were there (although they didn't impinge at all on their space)

And my kids are grown up so I have no axe to grind about bringing them into a lounge.

The one evening we popped in with our son, we got evil glare too!

We did use the CL. We stopped by several occasions, and I popped in one night to see what kind of food they were having. I sampled :).

Maybe we should have been offended, but we weren't. I was well aware of the fact that I could bring my son in, but as we did not drink, we did not want to take up space as it did seem to get crowded in there during free drink time :). Other times it was fairly empty.

I can’t answer for anyone but myself. I generally have one alcoholic drink a night, and rarely any of the food. Not a big deal to RCCL considering my accommodations or cruise loyalty that allows provides the benefit. Also – the wine/liquor is not high end.

I also use the lounge during the day and have at least 2 specialty coffees.

enjoy

M

We definitely hit up the specialty coffee machine at least once a day, sometimes twice :).

From just before early seating, to just before late seating! :)

You see, I did not know that (or if I did I did not remember it), but I seem to recall the concierge mentioning 4:30 - 5:30, so I guess I assumed that was the only time there were free drinks. When you do not drink, you tend not to pay attention to these kinds of details...lol

SO, maybe the concierge was just trying to keep the CL adult-free for just that one hour, when it would be most crowded...

Children are permitted in the CL. The CL cocktail hour is NOT designated as an adult only event anymore. (Perhaps you sailed prior to children being permitted in the CL. ) I don't know the exact date of the policy change or if it was fleet wide on the same date.

Enjoy

M

So like your post!! :)

Trust me-the evil glare is something often doled out in the lounge. Just walk in and smile.

I've gotten the look/lecture for something we all call in our family- 'the mozzarella stick incident'. We still laugh about it and so did the servers. Some people need to get over themselves, Enjoy your cruise, with your child...!!:)

I have witnessed the Diamond Concierge on more than one ship ask parents to take their children out of the evening social. Its embarrassing to the parents, who typically get defensive and upsetting to the kids.

The CL I have seen kids there, as well as unruly ones at the buffet (my pet peeve - kids touching everything with their fingers - parents oblivious to whats going on). oh well.

I have witnessed the Diamond Concierge on more than one ship ask parents to take their children out of the evening social. Its embarrassing to the parents, who typically get defensive and upsetting to the kids.

The CL I have seen kids there, as well as unruly ones at the buffet (my pet peeve - kids touching everything with their fingers - parents oblivious to whats going on). oh well.

I think that kid problems in these lounges are mostly parenting problems like you described.

The bigger problem is AO closes at 5pm, not when it reopens. Anyone with early seating really does not have many options for a pre-dinner cocktail, as many times by the time you're finishing your meal it's time for the show or some activity.

I have never taken my DD to the Diamond Lounge during cocktail time, as the rule is she should not be there. Would it be easier for the family to get a pre-dinner drink? Sure. But I'm not going to push some concierge to bend the rule when they shouldn't have to.

By the way, as gross as it is, I have seen just as many adults touching everything with their fingers at the buffets. Sadly, it's not a kid specific issue.

We did use the CL. We stopped by several occasions, and I popped in one night to see what kind of food they were having. I sampled :).

Maybe we should have been offended, but we weren't. I was well aware of the fact that I could bring my son in, but as we did not drink, we did not want to take up space as it did seem to get crowded in there during free drink time :). Other times it was fairly empty.

We'll be on the Allure next month. And as lovely as the concierge lounge is on that ship, you can bet we'll be in there a couple nights for pre-dinner drinks. Can't wait to see the looks a 10yo gets walking in and sitting with us.

By the way, as gross as it is, I have seen just as many adults touching everything with their fingers at the buffets. Sadly, it's not a kid specific issue.

You're right about that! At least with kids, you can say they probably don't know any better!:D

Sherri:)

I have never taken my DD to the Diamond Lounge during cocktail time, as the rule is she should not be there. Would it be easier for the family to get a pre-dinner drink? Sure. But I'm not going to push some concierge to bend the rule when they shouldn't have to.
We'll be on the Allure next month. And as lovely as the concierge lounge is on that ship, you can bet we'll be in there a couple nights for pre-dinner drinks. Can't wait to see the looks a 10yo gets walking in and sitting with us.

In both cases you're following RCI policy, so thanks for the first case - and in the second it doesn't matter what kind of looks you get. :)

"Dancing" in the DL :confused::eek::D

Long ago Julian the Concierge on the Enchantment had us dancing on the last night, when he did his Michael Jackson routine as well as other songs.

We had a blast, no one wanted to leave, we all missed dinner and just partied on with Julian. There were NO Children in the CL back then. or at least that cruise Let me say that was in 2007.