!! I Cringe at my fellow travellers !!

lee101224

I remember when I was going on my first cruise two years ago and thought that the amount we were tipping per day in the auto grats was high. I left them on and paid them. By the third day on the cruise experiencing the incredible service I was receiving from many of the staff on Princess I realized the auto grats were very reasonable and almost thought I should be tipping more.

Tell your friends to think about how much money they tip when going out for meals. Then also think about the quality of service they receive, I am sure they will realize the people are earning their tips.

However that being said if I had an experience where I receive poor service I do tip accordingly. Tips are to be earned and well deserved for the effort being put forth!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

I believe the friends are British, which customarily means they tip little or nothing (it's built into the price).

Note that I'm not saying they shouldn't tip on the cruise. I'm just pointing out that where they are from, tipping is done differently.

Edited by time4u2go

From discussions on my last cruise with the staff that waited on me, they said if the auto tipping or post cruise tipping was left in place, anything extra we handed them, they got to keep. If tipping was taken off, anything that was given to them was to be turned in and would go to a pool to cover the base amount of $12 pppd. So yes, they do know which cabins have auto-tipping and which ones don't. That allows them to know what extras they can keep.

Our room steward knew we had pre-paid because we had MTD, because he would ask me in the morning what time our dinner was so he could plan what time to do turn down / towel animals... :D

I pre-pay the gratuity. Not sure if the staff can tell the difference on those that pre-paid and those that do not.

We also tip our personal staff as they always put in the extra effort. They work pretty long hours too.

What do you think people should tip over the pre-pay for bartender, dinner steward, room attendant? Just curious.

I never understand why there are gratuities added to "objects" like cookbooks, coke cups, etc.? They brag about selling duty free, then charge a gratuity that is higher than the sales tax would have been for something like a book??

What Amy said is sort of right. The automatic tipping charge to your onboard account is intended for everyone. Not just those using MTD. The pre-paying of it, prior to the cruise, is required for those assigned MTD. Pre-paying it is an option available to everyone else.

This is quoted from the Royal Caribbean sit:

"The gratuity is automatically added to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest on board being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise. Any modifications or adjustments to your gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise."

smh... I guess this wouldn't be the only time where RCI contradicts themselves! Who do they have writing and proofing this stuff!?!?

I must be missing something, where is the contradiction?

:confused:

I never understand why there are gratuities added to "objects" like cookbooks, coke cups, etc.? They brag about selling duty free, then charge a gratuity that is higher than the sales tax would have been for something like a book??

I have never been charged a gratuity for the items you mention, and duty free has nothing to do with sales tax: confused:

If I would post what I really think about this, I'm positive I would be banned from the boards. There are no 'good' words I can type here on that subject.

If people are that hard up, what in the heck are they taking a cruise for? <only NICE thing I can say...

:cool:

So Emerelda what is it that you wanted to say that may or may not get you banned from Cruise Critic? We as individuals can chose who to tip, which restaurant to patronize etc. You are more than welcome to have your own opinions.

Edited by travelplus

Apparently a Problem shared is a problem halved ??

We will be travelling in May on INDY , 6th Cruise , 2nd with RCCL .

HOWEVER

A family that is cruising with us ( never cruised before ) are planning on immediately taking their Auto Grats on as they 'technically don't have to pay them so why would you ?'

Makes me cringe , anyone ever been in this situation before , Iv had may say but it has little effect ..... Makes Me Cringe !

It's really none of your business what other people do. You are only responsible for yourself , you can't change others.

Sadly so, there are very cheap people in the world. Seasoned cruisers know how

hard the crew members work, with very little to show for it. I have always done

MTD since the program began, not just for the ease of scheduling dinner time, but

nice to know the tips were prepaid so I did not have to take a wad of small bills

on board with me.

When service is above par we do, as many other do also, add to that minimum

tip in cash...directly in hand. Plus we make sure to list them on the survey by

name for superior service.

You reap what you sow.

Well said and we use MTD and it's nice that the tips are already paid and usually give extra for great service.

Edited by psupa

I have never been charged a gratuity for the items you mention, and duty free has nothing to do with sales tax: confused:

Looking at my cookbook receipt:

Cookbook: 30.00

C&A Disc: (7.50)

Gratuity: 3.74

Total: 26.24

As to your other comment, duty free = tax free which is related to sales tax (or the lack thereof).

My comment was a light hearted attempt to joke that replacing a 8% sales tax with a 16% gratuity for a cookbook doesn't benefit me at all, and my original point was that I'm not sure who ends up with the gratuity I paid for a cookbook. :confused:

Since I see you're an FSU fan, I will give you the benefit of the doubt... :D

I have no problem with the concept of the pre-paid tips and also have no problem giving extra tips for great service. Unlike waiters/service people/housekeeping on land based hotels/restaurants, etc, from what I understand (and have read on these boards and others) that personnel working in this type of job aboard ship do NOT have a minimum wage. So, if we willingly tip for these services while on land, why wouldn't we do it when at sea??

My only question/hesitation about the auto-gratuity arises from a comment I saw somewhere on-line that was something along the lines "if a poor comment or complaint is made against a room steward/waiter/bar tender, etc that some cruise lines with-hold their tips." I have no problem paying the auto-gratuity IF employees are in fact receiving them, but wouldn't appreciate paying what is "called" a gratuity if the cruise line itself is keeping some of the $$$$ (or worse yet, looking for any excuse NOT to pay crew their share). I know that I didn't dream this type of stuff up....because I just can't fathom any employer doing that....

I think the staff on ship deserve their tips - they are not working traditional 8 hour days and then able to go home, see their family or friends, etc.

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added last para as afterthought

I believe the friends are British, which customarily means they tip little or nothing (it's built into the price).

Note that I'm not saying they shouldn't tip on the cruise. I'm just pointing out that where they are from, tipping is done differently.

Even though they are British if they are well travelled they should know. Since I and my family are all British (I live in Canada now) I am very familiar with the way tips are handled in Britan. I also recognize that in Britan you also pay much steeper bills for what you buy because you don't tip like you do in Canada/US. All the same when I have family visit they are familiar with the tipping customs here and adjust. Good travellers respect the customs of where they are travelling. It would be like them assuming they can come to North America and still drive on the left side of the road.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

I will. Go back and read more of this thread when I am not so tired?.....but I will say.....it seems to me that many are looking for justification......clarification and almost permission!......no matter your circumstance......you all seem to have the resources to cruise and unlimited wifi!.....lucky us!......prepay your tips....not because there is a list......but because you can!.......I am very thankful to be cruising for my second time in a few weeks and I am happy to prepay......not for special treatment......or fear for sub par treatment......but because I am thankful that there are great people that do a great job!......if you worry that there may be lists!.....you should worry about the way you are perceived in daily life!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The staff does get a list of those that remove gratuities. They should have a concern over the food being served to them.

My thoughts exactly -- I would strongly advise against telling a wait-person up front, on land or sea, that you are not going to leave a tip.

Looking at my cookbook receipt:

Cookbook: 30.00

C&A Disc: (7.50)

Gratuity: 3.74

Total: 26.24

As to your other comment, duty free = tax free which is related to sales tax (or the lack thereof).

My comment was a light hearted attempt to joke that replacing a 8% sales tax with a 16% gratuity for a cookbook doesn't benefit me at all, and my original point was that I'm not sure who ends up with the gratuity I paid for a cookbook. :confused:

Since I see you're an FSU fan, I will give you the benefit of the doubt... :D

Duty free has nothing to do with sales tax, but instead deals with import taxes. Texas has expnded it's taxes to include purchases made on cruise ships or in the ports that it visited and returning to a port in Texas to cover alcohol and cigarettes. Here is the definition of duty free from the dictionary.

du·ty-free (do̅o̅′tē-frē′, dyo̅o̅′-)

adj.

1. Exempt from customs duties: duty-free merchandise.

2. Of, relating to, or being a region or establishment in which imported goods are exempt from customs duties: a duty-free port; a duty-free shop.

Edited by JYD Hawkeye

Duty free has nothing to do with sales tax, but instead deals with import taxes. Texas has expnded it's taxes to include purchases made on cruise ships or in the ports that it visited and returning to a port in Texas to cover alcohol and cigarettes. Here is the definition of duty free from the dictionary.

du·ty-free (doo′t-fr′, dyoo′-)

adj.

1. Exempt from customs duties: duty-free merchandise.

2. Of, relating to, or being a region or establishment in which imported goods are exempt from customs duties: a duty-free port; a duty-free shop.

I think it's still kinda odd that a cruise ship would charge gratuities for a cookbook!

Tom

Apparently the reason the auto grats began was because of the number of guests who were walking away without paying. I have to say, I am surprised/sad people actually ask to have them removed.

One cruise we were at a table for 4 vs. the large table we prefer. The last night they were no shows for dinner. I have always wondered........

Tipping can be a very personal topic. Visit the Disney boards and ask about tipping a Mousekeeper then run for your life as the discussion falls into insults.

Tipping isn't part of our culture as it is over in the States, however most Brit's I come across who balk at tipping take the view "well this trip is expensive enough as it is, without having to tip on top..." so sadly I don't think that people don't want to tip for moral reasons. They just don't factor it in as part of their vacation and see it more as an 'Optional Extra'.

Fortunately there are lots of us who DO know that tipping is expected, we're not all like that, promise!

Exactly, good for you, "When in Rome..." etc.

Reminds me of corporate days when I worked for a big international corp and we had lots of UK people over here on training posts etc. Go for a "quick drink / snacks " after work and they'd all duck out early leaving a couple of bucks tip at the most (I'm sure their expense claims showed otherwise).

When it was explained to them later how it works in the US most just retreated into the "We don't do that where we live" nonsense. Got so bad we didn't ask 'em out any more. Pathetic.

Before I get flamed, I'm a UK expat, now citizen:D

Tipping can be a very personal topic. Visit the Disney boards and ask about tipping a Mousekeeper then run for your life as the discussion falls into insults.

That made me laugh!!!

And, for those who have been asking. And I only can speak for myself. I am not complaining about a measly $12 dollars a day. Suite guests even pay more. It is the thought that I am not handing my gratuity to the people that deserve it who helped me. If the stateroom attendant 3 decks down was a di*k and folks cut back on his tip-I don't want MY stateroom attendant to have to make up for his or her crappy performance!!

I want my servers or stateroom attendant to have do any tip outs they need to themselves. Not the boss sticking his hands in the drawer. I worked in the service industry for years an knew exactly who made my job easier and took care of my tip outs myself. Never needed the boss to handle it nor would they ever even ask. Also remember, these workers know exactly who is on a paid salary and who works for tips so many of these behind the scene workers know the salary and are happy with it. They do not depend or are told tips will be part of your salary. Trust me-the guy putting your bread in the oven does not need a tip but the person bringing it to me sure does.

If any of you have a problem with this-get in line. In all reality-we all should all be worrying about ourselves and get our nose out of other peoples business.

You need not sit in line to do this as it can be done at any time of the cruise and the concierge can take care of this for you if you have those services so it is very easy.

Until Royal grows a set and admits to all the cruise price went up-I will Tip/gratuity as I please. I hate making things easy for a cheap boss. I hate the thought of my server having to chip in for anothers laziness. [if I choose to believe what some of you are saying] and yes people-all that work on a ship are not perfect. Luckily, I have never come across that.

flame suit on.............:D

Edited by Debde

I agree. We typically do MTD and don't mind paying it up front and have never removed it even when we've paid extra at the end, but there's just always something that bugs me about pre-paying what is defined as a reward for great service when there hasn't been any service yet. It's not a big deal and, as you say, we'd tip the amount they suggest anyway, but it does come across as kind of contrived and I can understand how it causes confusion.

There are restaurants that charge a set amount for gratuity if the number of guests exceeds an amount so maybe this is similar. I guess it's just knowing that it's a marketing trick bugs me, but it doesn't stop me from having an excellent time on cruises and the staff are certainly worth the $12/day without question. It costs 3x that to lose money at bingo. We know what it costs to cruise and even with all the hidden costs it's still the best deal around.

Tom

Half in jest, half a serious question/thought. If people say they go through that much trouble to remove gratuities (stand in line on their vacation) just to tip more, why not just keep the $12/day and tip extra in cash? It would seem to me people would really only go through that trouble because they thought $12/day was too much to pay for gratuities.

Royal Caribbean remains free to put whatever procedures in place that they want. Their website clearly states that the gratuities are automatically charged, unless someone receives sub-par service. Yes, it's your money to do with what you want, but you chose to give money to a cruise line which felt it necessary to charge daily gratuities.

I just think complaining about $12/day gratuities/service charges/whatever Royal Caribbean wishes to call it is ridiculous when you're already spending thousands on a vacation. That's the cost of two beers! I think that's more sad than any perceived lack of civility on these boards (and trust me, I've seen way worse than this thread). Maybe Royal Caribbean should just factor these costs into the costs of the cruise, but that's not their current policy.

But, I think most of us have figured out that it's not really a tip. It's RCI's (and other lines) sneaky way of paying their staff. I've kidn of gotten over it (although the thoughts reemerge in threads like these).

I consider the tips as just part of the cost and what we pay extra as the actual tips... but so long as RCI calls the daily suggest a "gratuity" it makes sense that people would consider it otherwise as you do and your point is perfectly valid. I've been through the same thoughts many times.

But, to be fair, the tips in the case are what RCI considers to be most of their salary.

Tom

That made me laugh!!!

And, for those who have been asking. And I only can speak for myself. I am not complaining about a measly $12 dollars a day. Suite guests even pay more. It is the thought that I am not handing my gratuity to the people that deserve it who helped me. If the stateroom attendant 3 decks down was a di*k and folks cut back on his tip-I don't want MY stateroom attendant to have to make up for his or her crappy performance!!

I want my servers or stateroom attendant to have do any tip outs they need to themselves. Not the boss sticking his hands in the drawer. I worked in the service industry for years an knew exactly who made my job easier and took care of my tip outs myself. Never needed the boss to handle it nor would they ever even ask. Also remember, these workers know exactly who is on a paid salary and who works for tips so many of these behind the scene workers know the salary and are happy with it. They do not depend or are told tips will be part of your salary. Trust me-the guys putting your bread in the oven does not need a tip but the person bringing it to me sure does.

If any of you have a problem with this-get in line. In all reality-we all should all be worrying about ourselves and get our nose out of other peoples business.

You need not sit in line to do this as it can be done at any time of the cruise and the concierge can take care of this for you if you have those services so it is very easy.

Until Royal grows a set and admits to all the cruise price went up-I will Tip/gratuity as I please. I hate making things easy for a cheap boss. I hate the thought of my server having to chip in for anthers laziness. [if I choose to believe what some of you are saying] and yes people-all that work on a ship are not perfect. Luckily, I have never come across that.

flame suit on.............:D

But, I think most of us have figured out that it's not really a tip. It's RCI's (and other lines) sneaky way of paying their staff. I've kidn of gotten over it (although the thoughts reemerge in threads like these).

Tom

can you tell I have not!!! LOL;)

I feel, and will always feel, that until cruise lines makes gratuities part of the cruise fare some of their hard working staff will always be stiffed by thoughtless people like the OP`s friends.

Id like to see it become a non refundable service charge. You either pay it or you dont cruise. Simple as that.

Yes, I know there are those who like to have the charge reversed and pay in cash. As far as Im concerned, they can pay the service charge and also pay in cash if they wish.

It probably wont be the popular opinion here but its mine and Im entitled to it. :) If I get flamed, so be it. Wont be the first time and I guarantee it wont be the last!

Edited by ryano

Id like to see it become a non refundable service charge. You either pay it or you dont cruise. Simple as that.

Yes, I know there are those who like to have the charge reversed and pay in cash. As far as Im concerned, they can pay the service charge and also pay in cash if they wish.

It probably wont be the popular opinion here but its mine and Im entitled to it. :) If I get flamed, so be it. Wont be the first time and I guarantee it wont be the last!

In my relatively short time here, I've come to observe that the only way you WON'T be flamed is if you never post! :D FWIW, I agree with you on this...