Got a table for 2 but not sure if I want it!

We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

We're sailing on March 8th on Granduer of the Seas. I am pretty sure when I made the reservation I requested a large table. I'm way more outgoing than my husband and I like to meet new people. Also after 32 years of eating with the same person I thought it would be nice to have other people to talk to at dinner. This is only our 3rd cruise. The 1st cruise we were seated with a nice elderly couple and their son who was around 40ish. The last cruise on Carnival we had 2 other couples at our table more our age and my husband really liked them especially when he found out one of the other men had a boat so they both had fishing in common. I was surprised when I recently called RC to ask a few questions and was told we have a table for 2. I'm trying to decide if we should keep it or give it up for a table of 6 or 8. I was thinking of seeing how it goes the first night and seeing if we can change it if we're lonely. I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows. When I originally booked the cruise 2 years ago it was a 30th anniversary celebration. Had to postpone so now its anniversary and my husband just retired from 30 years in the Navy. I was wondering if they gave us the table for 2 because of our anniversary. Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

We prefer table for 2..but then we are both not outgoing..plus its our only time alone with kids still at home..lol

I'm with you! I MUCH prefer a larger table....hubby and I eat almost EVERY meal together....it's nice to have others to talk to! You already have cruising in common..and you're sure to find other things! We've been seated with everyone from 20-somethings to folks in their 80's....so far, we've gotten along with them all.

The way I figure it, you have ALL DAY to do "couples" stuff....and I have to say that larger tables are just more fun!

If you've chosen MTD, you will be seated alone...other MTDers don't like company!

If you are doing traditional seating, you won't have to rush to shows...they are scheduled around those 2 seating times!

Edited by cb at sea

Dh is a huge fan of just the 2 of us. We do MTD so we can have a table for 2. His reasoning is that he has to be social all day at work and likes to not have to be "on" when on vacation. I would prefer a larger table since I love meeting new people, but I know he doesn't.

Edited by Raenstoirm

We're In the same 'boat' as many of you :D

I prefer I sitting alone, but my dh loves to socialize and find out about other people, what they do etc. So he likes bigger tables. But really there seems to be a sweet spot a 6 or 8 top is good the 10 top is too big

If you decide you do want to change I would advise doing it as soon as you board. The Maître De generally does this on boarding day between noon and three. As soon as you board check with guest relations and find out where he will be, i.e. which dining room, which floor.

We had a table for two for the first time ever in September on the Oasis. We really missed having a big table and tablemates.

The first time we ever had tablemates was on the Liberty in 2007. There was an older couple from Ireland, a young couple from Ireland, a couple in their 30's/40's from Panama and us. It was so much fun. I hope we get something like that this Sunday on the Explorer.

We like tables of 6 or 8. We get to meet new people and the table isn't so big that it's hard to hear everyone. We've had tables for 2 and we find we spend a lot of time waiting for the waiter to wait on us, because we eat faster when there's no one else there to talk to.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tables for two are scarce. My mother and I were assigned one once and had no trouble getting reassigned - folks were just waiting for a two top.

Not on Inde. Just off and several couples including ourselves who got tables for 2 (without asking) were put together at the captains table for the whole cruise.

Actually, we chose MTD, not because we don't like other people, but because of the schedule/ports/shows, etc we were trying to schedule. That said, it was a Mediterranean cruise quite port intensive. Some nights 8:30 was too late to eat while the earlier seating was too early as some of our tours came in rather late to get ready. There were four of us.

On our upcoming cruise, we again chose MTD as we like to use the specialty restaurants and I don't feel it is fair to have a place at a larger table that we would not use but once. We were on a cruise with a large group, early seating, and had an undesirable table by the kitchen where the waiters zoomed in and out. Tried to have it changed several times to no avail. By the window sat a ten top that no one used all week. This group could have easily chosen MTD and someone else (us) could have used that table.

We are both very social people. I figure as close as the tables for two are to each other, we will not be at a loss for someone new to talk with, if we would like!

Edited by pinkroses

My Father and I prefer a table for 2 and its not that were not social but we have found that the table for 2 just suits our needs better for dinner.

At lunch I often have found out that our schedules are different so at lunch I love sharing my table with others. Since dinner is a set time and during lunch in the Main Dining Room is between a certain time I simply can't commit to a certain time.

I have had some great conversations with other people in the Main Dining Room. Lots of fun people.

I have found out that if I'm the first one to introduce myself the conversation goes better. I always introduce myself first and then see where the conversation leads.

Table for two. Why risk sitting with someone who is rude or a braggart. Yes, it has happened to us.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish I was your table mate because I could care less whether your a Diamond+ Member own a large house etc. I just love talking with people.

I was at a table for lunch in the MDR and it got into a heated political conversation Republicans and Democrats literally yelling at one another. I told them this is not the place to discuss politics I am trying to enjoy my meal peacefully and there are other topics to discuss. This one old man rudely told me off.

So I told this old man I'm sorry you feel this way but do you realize that there are other people at this table from other countries who could care less about our politics. I think you should just finish your meal and take the conversation elsewhere.

So if I see a table getting into a heated conversation I ask to be reseated right away.

With MTD can you put a preference one or two nights to be seated at a group table, or is it basically all just private tables for your group size? I know you don't build the same camaraderie as having a set table with set dining, but I figured it would be a fun meeting new people for dinner once or twice on the cruise. Our last cruise was on NCL, and with their freestyle while they had larger tables, nobody willingly chose them during the times we dined (we ate on the early side), so we stuck to two-tops as to not feel alone at a big table. All my previous cruises were with traditional timed dining.

I'm with you! I MUCH prefer a larger table....hubby and I eat almost EVERY meal together....it's nice to have others to talk to! You already have cruising in common..and you're sure to find other things! We've been seated with everyone from 20-somethings to folks in their 80's....so far, we've gotten along with them all.

The way I figure it, you have ALL DAY to do "couples" stuff....and I have to say that larger tables are just more fun!

If you've chosen MTD, you will be seated alone...other MTDers don't like company!

If you are doing traditional seating, you won't have to rush to shows...they are scheduled around those 2 seating times!

Re: second paragraph above...what kind of a numbskull comment is that? You most certainly can be seated with others (if you want) if you have MTD. I happen to do MTD on some cruises and have no aversion to having "company". Your blatant, blanket statements are really incredible.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for your input. I loved reading what you all had to say. My husband just retired 3 weeks ago from 30 years in the Navy so I am trying to get use to him being home all day. The dog is extremely happy!

ROTLF...thanks for the chuckle!!!:D

My wife perfers a table for 2 if we are traveling without friends or family, I like that but also like a bigger table, one of our best cruises we had a table fo 10 including one of the ships doctors and we all had a blast we would go to the shows together after dinner.

We like tables of 6 or 8. We get to meet new people and the table isn't so big that it's hard to hear everyone. We've had tables for 2 and we find we spend a lot of time waiting for the waiter to wait on us, because we eat faster when there's no one else there to talk to.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Spot on!

I think one advantage would be faster service so we can get out when we're done and go to the shows.

Which do you prefer, table for 2 or a large table?

We like the table for 6 or 8 best. We eat dinner every night at home with just the 2 of us and enjoy the company on the cruise. We consider dinner as part of our evening activities so normally aren't concerned with how long it takes if we've got good company to chat with at the table. We've never not been able to find something to talk about with tablemates. (most are "travelers" and that's always a good starting topic)

If our intention was to get out of the dinning room for a show it's never been a problem for us on any of the lines we've sailed - we just didn't linger over coffee and dessert.