Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Practically run me over with their scooter / power chair, like just because they have one, I'm supposed to automatically jump out of their way.

Works the other way too, have been in a wheelchair on and off the last year and you would not believe how many people walk right in front of you and other dumb things.

On my last Allure cruise. I was sitting in the front row of the lower balcony (the area that is in front of where you enter), right in the middle of the row (basically perfect seats). There was one open seat next to me. A group of three arrives and asks if both of us would move so they could sit there. I basically told them that I had arrived 20 minutes before to get this seat and was staying where I was.

The most annoying thing to me is when Windjammer is full, people are walking around with plates of food looking for a table

That's why my traveling companion and I first find a table before we get our food, and we take turns getting our food so as to save our table.

However, other people find THAT rude. I remember someone claiming to be from the UK talking about how rude people were, finding a table at the buffet and taking turns with a companion getting food. This person said that we all should first get our food and then look for a table. When others protested, saying that they thought it was proper to get a table first and then the food, this person from the UK said, "Oh, yes, you Americans just hate being criticized."

So we can either get our food first and then walk around and around, but someone would say that that is "the most annoying thing to me" or we can find a table first, only to hear from someone from the UK how rude Americans are. We just can't win!

I don't worry about winning. I do what works for us. We (2) usually get our food first them scout around for a table. We drink coffee after our meal, and usually one of us will get that, unless we want to drink our coffee elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with someone grabbing a table first.

I do mind people who sit around and gab, and gab after they've finished. If it's crowded, move on.

That's why my traveling companion and I first find a table before we get our food, and we take turns getting our food so as to save our table.

However, other people find THAT rude. I remember someone claiming to be from the UK talking about how rude people were, finding a table at the buffet and taking turns with a companion getting food. This person said that we all should first get our food and then look for a table. When others protested, saying that they thought it was proper to get a table first and then the food, this person from the UK said, "Oh, yes, you Americans just hate being criticized."

So we can either get our food first and then walk around and around, but someone would say that that is "the most annoying thing to me" or we can find a table first, only to hear from someone from the UK how rude Americans are. We just can't win!

I'm with you......grab a table and then get your food! No way do I want to walk around with a plate if there's no place to sit!!

Part of the problem on some of the RCI ships is the way the jogging track runs through seating areas. However, it is dangerous and inconsiderate of people to move loungers out into the jogging lanes.

I try to walk/run on the track early in the morning when the fewest people might be out, but there always seem to be some who won't move even when you call out "on your left" or something like that to let them know you're coming. I've also had people walk right out in front of me to cross the track and I've nearly run into them.

At least I've never been mowed down by someone on a scooter while walking the track. :D

Edited by CntPAcruiser

On our last cruise, we went to lunch one day in the Windjammer and all the tables inside were full. We then went to the outside tables where one gentlemen was sound asleep at a table for 4. He was asleep for at least 45 minutes while we ate and I am assuming some time before and after we sat down at a nearby table. Couldn't believe it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are two times that I remember that I would consider rude. The first time we were on a cruise with a large contingent from an Asian country. The first night they took over the theatre and promptly fell asleep. They did have a long flight so of course they were tired. The comedian made several comments about the group and was taken off stage as some off the group had found him offensive and were arguing with him and he was giving it right back at them. Needless to say the whole week these people just had to be first in line for everything and let all their friends in with them. Made for some very angry cruisers.

The second time was when one whole week there was this 10 top table MDR giving the servers a hard time. Very demanding until the last night when not one of them showed up and we all know why.

Had some frustrations on our first Alaska cruise during the Glacier Bay scenic cruising. We were somewhat late to stake out a spot along the railing, and decided to set up behind another family. We had two tripods, so we set them up and got our gear ready, leaving plenty of room for the family in front of us to remain in front of us. Apparently we picked the wrong family to be behind, as they decided to slide chairs into our way, stand purposefully in our way, etc. until they decided they were tired of watching the glaciers (and being annoying and left). Oh well.

The next day during the College Fjord scenic cruising, I told my wife that my plan was to wait in the center of the ship until it was obvious which side would turn to face the glacier first, then go set up on the other side. We then discovered an area alongside perhaps the golf simulator which wasn't crowded anyway, and set up there on the port side. Starboard side got the first view, but I just waited on the sunny side and took off both coats. Meanwhile my wife walked over to the other side with two cameras but no tripods, got a good assortment of shots, and came back freezing.

As I stated earlier have been in scooter quite a bit lately and we do Disney three times a year for three weeks each time.

My major gripe in the scooter is probably what many of us complain in general society about and that is the idiots making phone calls and texting while walking.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm offended by all the people who sole purpose in life is to be offended by every little thing and they think the world evolves just for them.

CC cruisers seem to be an easily offended lot.

Excellent deduction, Sherlock!:D I have often felt that there are way too many folks on these boards who do nothing but whine!

Excellent deduction, Sherlock!:D I have often felt that there are way too many folks on these boards who do nothing but whine!

And it's not just these boards--it's society in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by Pool Walkers but if you mean people in the pool walking around in it they are just as entitled to do that as you are to do laps. Who knows, maybe they are thinking about the people that kept trying to do laps when they were trying to cool down in the water and just relax. I guess this comes down to people actually realizing that there are other people in the world that like to be in the water to cool down, exercise or for therapy and can't swim. (and in this case, there are others that might enjoy the pool as well).

To clarify. These are people that are not just in the pool to cool off. They are actively walking from one end to the other. While doing so, they walk 3,4,5 or even 6 abreast. In a relatively small pool, this actually eliminates anyplace for anyone else to use the pool. Even when other people are already in the pool and using it to cool off or swim.

Could not even stand along the edge without being bumped by them. Their excuse is that this is an organized exercise program that they have been doing for years. Not one that is approved by the cruiseline either.

I put it along next to the people that walk along the jogging track 3 or 4 people wide and will not recognize that the people that want to jog also need access to the track.

While on the Solstice, there were several of us that attempted to do laps and we would start and then the walkers would stretch out across the entire pool. Seems like if people are actually already swimming in a pool, that you would continue to make room for them rather than stop them.

Edited by mapsmith

To clarify. These are people that are not just in the pool to cool off. They are actively walking from one end to the other. While doing so, they walk 3,4,5 or even 6 abreast. In a relatively small pool, this actually eliminates anyplace for anyone else to use the pool. Even when other people are already in the pool and using it to cool off or swim.

Could not even stand along the edge without being bumped by them. Their excuse is that this is an organized exercise program that they have been doing for years. Not one that is approved by the cruiseline either.

I put it along next to the people that walk along the jogging track 3 or 4 people wide and will not recognize that the people that want to jog also need access to the track.

While on the Solstice, there were several of us that attempted to do laps and we would start and then the walkers would stretch out across the entire pool. Seems like if people are actually already swimming in a pool, that you would continue to make room for them rather than stop them.

In this instance, I agree with you.

Christmas Day. In the elevator with a young family and their kids.

The young kids had their faces painted as Rudolf the Reindeer. On the next floor, an elderly lady gets in. She says to the kids "what are you supposed to be?" The kids answer and she says to them "hmm...you don;t really look like reindeer. I hope you're going to wash your faces when you get back to your cabin" The parents were speechless. Wish I had the presence of mind to compliment the kids to take the sting out of the lady's comments. She was definitely lacking the Christmas spirit.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Christmas Day. In the elevator with a young family and their kids.

The young kids had their faces painted as Rudolf the Reindeer. On the next floor, an elderly lady gets in. She says to the kids "what are you supposed to be?" The kids answer and she says to them "hmm...you don;t really look like reindeer. I hope you're going to wash your faces when you get back to your cabin" The parents were speechless. Wish I had the presence of mind to compliment the kids to take the sting out of the lady's comments. She was definitely lacking the Christmas spirit.

Why do people think it's OK to say anything they please because it's to a child? That's horrible.

DH and I had a lady make a comment (can't even remember exactly what now) about the fact that we happened to be wearing shirts of a similar color one evening. Like you I couldn't think fast enough to come up with an answer - at least not one that wasn't as rude as she was. :rolleyes:

Not washing hands in the bathroom.

Buffet etiquette in General is horrible. Too much food. Picking things up with their hands. Letting the utensil slide into the food, etc.

Being run over by scooters and scooters being parked outside cabins in the already too narrow hallways.

Leaving the balcony light on 24/7.

Passengers being disrespectful to the crew.

Using flash photography during shows.

Theater chair hogging.

However, despite these irritants, there are WAY more positives than negatives and that is why we continue to cruise!

Passengers being rude to the staff. To the point of some very racial slurs. I was brought up to know that everyone is entitled to be treated with respect regardless of where they were born or what they do. I go well out of my way to avoid those on the ship that feel they are the most important individuals on the ship and that the world revolves around them and them alone. I've also been known to speak my piece to those who do mistreat the staff openly.