Ship Stability

Dick & Linda

Some think that you can't feel motion as vividly on the larger ships. Having got unbelievably sick on a 35 foot boat and never on any HAL ship, I guess this might be right!

Personally, I don't feel much of a difference on the S, R or Vista classes.

Agree with SilvertoGold, I have never found any difference as to stability on any of HAL ships. All that I have been aboard seem to be very good seaboats, and I have been in some very, very rough seas with a couple of them, i.e. Volendam, crossing the Northern Pacific, with the bow riding up on a wave's crest and then crashing down into the wave's trough, with sea spray, if not actual water, being shot up above the Crow's Nest.

That said, having an aft veranda on the Westerdam in January, for 2 days, we experienced strong winds after leaving Port Everglades. There was an interesting "wiggle" at times that I noticed back there that I had not experienced before. But, not enough to cause motion sickness, I am sure.

We had a plaque on our boat growing up that said "Oh God, your sea is so big and my boat is so small". When the sea gets angry even the biggest ship feels very small.

Bring Meclizine and take one each day whether it is smooth or rough- great stuff and no drowsiness (at least for us). Take the first on in the morning before you board the ship. We like it much better than Dramamine due to less side effects.

We tend to book centre ship - I have felt more motion on the Nieuw Amsterdam than on the Maasdam.

The smoothest ride we have had is on the Prinsendam and we were quite far forward :D (Prinsendam was built to cut through the waves though so that might not be a fair comparison)

The smaller ships IMO are at least as smooth if not smoother than the larger ships. Just our experience and one of the reasons we prefer them

Agree with SilvertoGold, I have never found any difference as to stability on any of HAL ships. All that I have been aboard seem to be very good seaboats, and I have been in some very, very rough seas with a couple of them, i.e. Volendam, crossing the Northern Pacific, with the bow riding up on a wave's crest and then crashing down into the wave's trough, with sea spray, if not actual water, being shot up above the Crow's Nest.

That said, having an aft veranda on the Westerdam in January, for 2 days, we experienced strong winds after leaving Port Everglades. There was an interesting "wiggle" at times that I noticed back there that I had not experienced before. But, not enough to cause motion sickness, I am sure.

That "wiggle" comes across to me as a circular motion. In the MDR looking aft, you can see the ship moving in a circle if you concentrate. Agree, not something to make you sea-sick, but it is fun to watch!

You did better in the North Pacific. We had hogging on the bow right below our cabin. A lot of movement and the sound was something else! Really a metal on metal sound that was somewhat disconcerting at first. Not enough to make you sea-sick, though!

Bring Meclizine and take one each day whether it is smooth or rough- great stuff and no drowsiness (at least for us).
If you forget to bring it you can get all you want for free at the front desk or infirmary, under the brand name Sea Calm. BTW the infirmary also gives out free aspirin, acetaminophen, and band aids!

I suffer horribly from motion sickness and we had some rough seas on the Veendam (S class) when we had winds so high the captain announced it was advisable to stay indoors and people were walking throughout the ship like drunken sailors. We had an aft cabin on the Navigation deck so this was a test for me! I came prepared with my meds and really did well. I thought the ship was surprisingly stable, on par with the much larger ships we have been on. I think the captain adjusted our speed and course to minimize the affect the seas had on us.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

It doesn't. The Maasdam incurs no more motion than a Mega ship.

Water is very powerful. Take a look at a globe, put a tiny ship into that array of blue. Anything, no matter how large or small is going to be moved around by rough sea.

Anything, no matter how large or small is going to be moved around by rough sea.

Absolutely. The worst is what I would describe as a "corkscrew" motion in very, very rough seas; I think that would make most people seasick. The good thing is that it doesn't last for seven weeks. If it did, I would think it would kill you before then. (Which might be a relief, actually.)

If you are REALLY concerned about motion sickness, select the lowest and most midship cabin you are comfortable in. Then, take meclizine each day. Never had any side effects from it.

Gary

HaHaHa...meclizine puts me out cold for 24 hrs... try it at home first to see how you react to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

HaHaHa...meclizine puts me out cold for 24 hrs... try it at home first to see how you react to it.
You're not alone. I know many swear by meclizine, but I'm another who is knocked out by it. I wished I'd tried it at home first. For me the combination of ginger capsules and the patch works wonders. Some don't do well with the patch at all. Each person needs to find what works for them. I wish the OP well - with whatever they need.

Here is a hint about Meclizine (Bonine). The normal dose is 1 pill per day (DW sometimes takes 2 for her Menieres). Like some others, I have found that the drug can make me feel a little sleepy. So if I decide to take Meclizine I try to take the pill right before bedtime. This is a win-win since it can help one sleep, and in the morning we do not seem to feel the drowsy side effect.

Hank

How does the stability of a smaller Holland America ship, like the Maasdam at 720", compare to the larger ships of 1000+ feet long? I don't want to be sick for 7 weeks.

Have you cruised before? If you have been on a larger ship, Holland America ships will have similar motion. If you have never cruised, you should know that some unfortunates get sick while the ship is dockside.

WE had no problems on Massdam but we went to Bermuda on sister ship Veendam and many people could not make it to dinner because of rolling/rocking, we talked to people on a ship that did same route at same time and they had no problems but ship was twice the size. I do think size matters, I know others disagree

WE had no problems on Massdam but we went to Bermuda on sister ship Veendam and many people could not make it to dinner because of rolling/rocking, we talked to people on a ship that did same route at same time and they had no problems but ship was twice the size. I do think size matters, I know others disagree

Since on the same ship some were sick and some were not, I believe people are affected differently by motion. On our last cruise in the Caribbean the waters were flatter than I have ever seen but every once in a while someone would comment about the movement of the ship. I had a friend long ago who sailed yachts with is dad - his dad was OK crossing the Atlantic ocean but would get sick when they were safely in a marina.

Ship size may also play some role. Oasis and Allure are both larger than QM2 and QM2 will handle much better since it is an ocean liner and not a cruise ship.

Like some others, I have found that the drug can make me feel a little sleepy.
I'm WAY past "a little sleepy" with this. It also knocks me out for MUCH longer than overnight. I'm out all night - and all day. Like the other 'cures' for seasickness, one really needs to try this at home first - when they don't have to do anything the next day.

We had a plaque on our boat growing up that said "Oh God, your sea is so big and my boat is so small". When the sea gets angry even the biggest ship feels very small. .

I had a plaque on mine that read:

Only two rules on this boat;

1. The Captain is always right.

2. If you think the Captain is wrong, refer to rule 1.

Since all cruiseship officers have been to some naval school, they don't need any signs.

To the OP, Do you know whether or not you suffer from motion sickness on a cruise ship? If you have suffered in the past, I don't think the size of the vessel will make a difference. I suffer from motion sickness on all ships -- from a water taxi to a cruise ship. If you have suffered in the past, come prepared. If you haven't suffered in the past, wait and see what happens.

Have you cruised before? If you have been on a larger ship, Holland America ships will have similar motion. If you have never cruised, you should know that some unfortunates get sick while the ship is dockside.

We have cruised about 21 times. All of the cruises have been on larger ships except one; it was about 690'). I (Dick) didn't do well for a couple of days. Thank you for your comment.

Despite what folks have said to the contrary, physics is physics and sheer size will determine the amount of motion felt in the same sea of like designs.

A rough sea will be rough on any ship, but the fewer the tons the more the toss.

The potential for more/less motion isn't so much a worry but little boats just are little. You seemingly turn your head or take 3 steps and you're nearly off the boat and/or running into the same 12 people. :eek:;):D

Derek