Other Cringe-worthy fellow travelers - no tips

OK, the "Cringe" discussion just went to the first instance, removal of automatic hotel charge/ tips/ gratuity.......whatever.

But what OTHER things have your travel companions done (or still do!) that make you cringe.

I'll fess up first:

1. Hubby packs himself, and there are - invariably - tacky T-shirts (the kind with comics / "cute" sayings / destinations / etc. on them) AND one or two long-sleeved shirts (his favorites) with fraying sleeves, collars, etc or pants with cuffs dissolving. And, NO, I don't do his laundry, so I do not have the chance to "lose" these items, and he'd notice and CARE!!! (He loves his old clothing.) I admit to cringing when I see them, but then I remember that almost 40 years ago, I married a man who proved to be a prince, and his lack of clothing sense is minor in the lovely big picture of our joy together. So I just try not to look. But sometimes I do, and cringe.

2. Sister who can be counted on to complain about where we're being seated in a restaurant at least 30 % of the time. This is even though she knows that demanding to be seated in a certain section may mean the server is slammed (with too many new parties) and we'll get slower service. Doesn't matter.

Too noisy....doesn't want to sit in the middle of the room...too close to kitchen / service station / front door.....whatever, whatever. And she has had LOTS of health/pain issues, so we cut her lots of slack, but we've found ourselves trying to explain to harassed hostesses why our beloved sister is being difficult (pain/medical issues).

And in the end, though we cringe, these are the people we love, and if WE don't understand their quirks, who will?

Barb in so cal

2. Sister who can be counted on to complain about where we're being seated in a restaurant at least 30 % of the time. This is even though she knows that demanding to be seated in a certain section may mean the server is slammed (with too many new parties) and we'll get slower service. Doesn't matter.

I have a friend like that. I told him under no circumstances would I EVER go out to dinner with him.

Sort of a tip comment...we were on the Pride of America last fall with our two kids, aged 19 and 22. They had their own room. Despite having a proper upbringing and knowing how to keep things clean and tidy, every morning their cabin looked like it had been trashed. Every afternoon when we came back from our excursions it was clean and tidy again. Yes, we gave our cabin steward, Marino, an extra big tip at the end of the week. He should have received danger pay as well. The only thing that saved us from total embarrassment was that he could see that they didn't get their slovenly habits from us. :rolleyes:

...snip...

2. Sister who can be counted on to complain about where we're being seated in a restaurant at least 30 % of the time

....snip...

I have known people who always send back some food item no matter what the food is. To them it is their way of thinking they are of a higher class than the restaurant provides and makes them feel good about themselves. To me it is pretentious.

Unless there is something really wrong, I just enjoy what I have.

I have known people who always send back some food item no matter what the food is. To them it is their way of thinking they are of a higher class than the restaurant provides and makes them feel good about themselves. To me it is pretentious.

Wow. That's just odd. Of course if there is something wrong I'll send it back, but I can think of three times in the past few years I've done that--and always because something was terribly overcooked or once because there were nuts sprinkled on the dessert after I specifically told the server no nuts due to allergies.

After a few trips with one fellow, we noticed that EVERY meal was always sent back part way through because there was something unsatisfactory - multitude of reasons. Of course we were travelling with a group and had to get back on the road so instead he argued with staff until there was no charge. One day we asked him what it was about every meal that he was getting he didn't like. His answer...."I get to eat but don't have to pay. Been doing it for years". To me, that's almost the same as stealing ....

I now no longer travel with that group and if we do happen to end up at the same establishment, I ensure that I am in no way sitting at the same table or in close proximity.:o

After a few trips with one fellow, we noticed that EVERY meal was always sent back part way through because there was something unsatisfactory - multitude of reasons. Of course we were travelling with a group and had to get back on the road so instead he argued with staff until there was no charge. One day we asked him what it was about every meal that he was getting he didn't like. His answer...."I get to eat but don't have to pay. Been doing it for years". To me, that's almost the same as stealing ....

I now no longer travel with that group and if we do happen to end up at the same establishment, I ensure that I am in no way sitting at the same table or in close proximity.:o

I agree with you htat it is not really different than stealing, and I wouldn't want to eat with him either.

Wow...I would never, ever let my wife pack for me.

I confess that while I don't ask Herself to actually pack for me, I do pay close attention to her recommendations for civie attire. Comes of spending most of my adult life in uniform, I guess. Besides, after 20+ years of marriage, if I can't trust her taste, whose can I trust? :)

I confess that while I don't ask Herself to actually pack for me, I do pay close attention to her recommendations for civie attire. Comes of spending most of my adult life in uniform, I guess. Besides, after 20+ years of marriage, if I can't trust her taste, whose can I trust? :)

If you ever get to the point of questioning her taste...remember it was her taste that had her select YOU. :p

I always tip, but if someone doesn't it is no my business.

As for sending food back...if it is not cooked as ordered I do not hesitate to send it back and have it prepared properly. Recently I was at a steak restaurant and ordered my normal medium rare steak. It came out well done so I sent it back. When the waiter brough the second steak it was barely warm so I asked to see the manager. When he reached for the second steak I grabed the plate and would not let him take it away. I told the manager that, in my opinion, the "cook" putting a raw steak out for the server (and him bringing it to the table) was a smart-ass response to a legitimate request to have the steak cook at least close to the way I requested. The manager comped my wifes meal and I just cancelled my order. The waiter came by later for a water refill and said "Looks like you succeeded in getting a free meal." I looked at him and said "I am going to be nice and not tell the manager about that comment." Later he brought the check to the table showing a balance of $0.00. I pulled one penny out of my pocket and put in on the check...didn't want him to think I just forgot the tip.

If you ever get to the point of questioning her taste...remember it was her taste that had her select YOU. :p

I always tip, but if someone doesn't it is no my business.

As for sending food back...if it is not cooked as ordered I do not hesitate to send it back and have it prepared properly. Recently I was at a steak restaurant and ordered my normal medium rare steak. It came out well done so I sent it back. When the waiter brough the second steak it was barely warm so I asked to see the manager. When he reached for the second steak I grabed the plate and would not let him take it away. I told the manager that, in my opinion, the "cook" putting a raw steak out for the server (and him bringing it to the table) was a smart-ass response to a legitimate request to have the steak cook at least close to the way I requested. The manager comped my wifes meal and I just cancelled my order. The waiter came by later for a water refill and said "Looks like you succeeded in getting a free meal." I looked at him and said "I am going to be nice and not tell the manager about that comment." Later he brought the check to the table showing a balance of $0.00. I pulled one penny out of my pocket and put in on the check...didn't want him to think I just forgot the tip.

Wow. That waiter sure had some gall! I've had that happen to me once when I was just out of high school. Went to Fridays with a friend and the waiter was so snobby to us. We asked him for extra raw onions and he came back with a few slivers in a napkin in his hand! When we asked for more he had the manager come and talk to us. I was shocked! When we left, and paid AND left him a tip, he came after us and told us we forgot our change. It still bothers me to this day. And he wasn't really that much older than us. I think I was 18 or 19. He must have been maybe 20 or 21.

As for cringe worthy travel companions? My sister and my mom. Always complaining about everything. Food, air conditioning, you name it. I don't travel with them anymore.

About some 20 years ago, I went with my mother on a trip. She was a royal pain to the flight attendants, demanding a soda before the flight took off because she tends to get motion sickness. Okay, maybe she should have brought some other remedy because you can't have a loose glass during ascent (and she's flown plenty of times before so you would think she would know). When we were at the airport to go home, she was a royal pain to those at the counter. She even made a crack about hijacking (I was so ticked off at her for that). When we got home, our luggage didn't arrive on the baggage carrell. Turned out that one of the clerks she was terrible to put tags on our bags for the stop in Reno, and not for LAX, which was our destination. Good thing this didn't happen on the flight going there. I was so peeved. From then on, my sister has been stuck with her (and witnessed my mother kicking a French airport police office in the shin on one trip).

Love my wife, but if she packs for me, I can count on half the clothes being ones I haven't worn in years (for a reason) and half of my essentials missing. Thanks, but i'll pack for myself. Makes it better for both of us. :)

My dad let's my mom pack for him and for some reason (I think he might look a little too intimidating) he always gets picked to have his luggage searched. When we were kids I have witnessed this happening every trip, including when we took a ferry. First question he always gets asked: "Did you pack your suit case yourself?" Dad grins and goes: "NOPE, my wife does that for me". Usually when they would then spot his small Asian wife and three kids, and then would only give it a cursory glance. I'd say it's pretty cringe-worthy for my mom.

I just asked my husband (I do pack for him) if he would prefer to pack himself. He just looked at me and laughed.... He does have input though..as long as the sleeveless tanks stay at home we are all good:p

My wife will pick out her stuff, but I generally do the actual packing and certainly my own selecting... I'm just better at "suitcase Tetris" than she is :-) And I do as much as possible ahead of time, so we're not starting at midnight before a 6 am flight (and yes, that *has* happened).

Jim

A friend of a friend who always finds something in their food, seriously I think the plant it because it has happened so many times on land and sea. They either want attention or want to try and sue someone. I do my best to aviod meals with said friend of friend.

A friend of a friend who always finds something in their food, seriously I think the plant it because it has happened so many times on land and sea. They either want attention or want to try and sue someone. I do my best to aviod meals with said friend of friend.

I could not be friends with such a person.

...snip...

His answer...."I get to eat but don't have to pay. Been doing it for years". To me, that's almost the same as stealing ....

I was at a restaurant (Longhorn) a few months ago, and there was an elderly gentleman (I use the term very loosely) sitting alone who asked for the manager to come over. He complained that the bread was not fresh and hot at the end of the meal. I am sure he did this to get a free meal. The manager basically told him that the bread has baked every 15 minutes, and if it was not hot and fresh why didn't he just ask the waiter for a fresh batch.

He protested that he was never coming back to this restaurant, and the manager told him basically "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out."

I asked the manager about it after the guy left, and he said that this guy has attempted to pull the same trick a few times before and has been shot down every time. Of course he tips terribly in retaliation for not getting a free meal.

My MIL and FIL have friends that they travel with, and the wife of this couple does that almost every night. She will send food back two or three times. One evening, she ordered a steak, rare. They brought the rare steak, and it was rare, and she complained that it was over done, so she sent it back. After the third steak came out, she announced to the waiter that they have ruined dinner for her so she can't possible eat now. Then she commanded that the waiter just bring dessert. My In-Laws were mortified. They felt so bad for the waiter, that on the last night they took him aside, and apologized for the woman's rude behavior, and tipped him very well. Which was good, because the woman refused to tip him at all. Not Cool! :eek:

Edited by screwsmcernst