Missed Dinner on RCCL

CRZAHOLIC

We are scheduled for the early dinner. If we miss it because of a tour in port will they let us go to late dinner, if there is room. I hate the buffet.

No. Traditional dining hours and tables are fixed. You could change to the my time/any time dining option, which would allow you more flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You definitely want to ask this on the RC board to see what their policy is.

But in general:

It may be possible if you arrange in advance with the Maitre D' but you cannot just show up at the late dinner time.

And when the ship has a late port call (not sailing until 8 or 9 PM) on some cruise lines there will be no fixed seating dinner, just open seating for all. Again I have no idea if that is what is done on RC, so you should head over to their boards.

Edited by fishywood

We are scheduled for the early dinner. If we miss it because of a tour in port will they let us go to late dinner, if there is room. I hate the buffet.

They will sometimes allow you to go to anytime dining if you miss your normal early sitting.

The only thing 'we' don't like about room service in the evening is it interferes with the cabin attendant cleaning our stateroom, replacing our towels. turning down our beds, etc. And I find the selection from the room service menu to be lacking in their selection especially at night.

OP you can always try and see if the Maitre D could try and seat you for that one night. I know if we plan on eating in a Specialty Restaurant one night we will tell him that we won't be using our table that night so if someone needs it they can have it. And I am sure that we aren't the only ones you do this.

Typically they will not let you but it can't hurt to ask them once on board. Your safest bet is to either make reservations with a specialty restaurant for a later time that day or to go with anytime dining.

There is almost no way to "miss" your dinner seating. On almost every port call, you will be on the ship before dinnertime....you have to be on the ship 30 mins. prior to sailaway....if that's cutting it too close, get on board 15 mins. earlier than that!

You can't use MTD unless you are signed up for it for the entire cruise.

In all honesty, you are worrying about nothing.

There is almost no way to "miss" your dinner seating. On almost every port call, you will be on the ship before dinnertime....you have to be on the ship 30 mins. prior to sailaway....if that's cutting it too close, get on board 15 mins. earlier than that!

I would respectfully disagree. On our next B2B cruise, we will be leaving port after early seating starts three times [leaving at 7pm] so we either have to be back early or make other arrangements. We have opted for My Time dining one week; will probably book a specialty restaurant the second.

It is unusual, but it does happen.

They will sometimes allow you to go to anytime dining if you miss your normal early sitting.

This is not true on RCI. If a passenger chooses My Time Dining (called Anytime Dining on other lines), then gratuities must be pre-paid in advance for the entire cruise. You cannot just show up at the MTD Dining Room and ask to be seated - doesn't work that way.

OP, you also can't just show up at Second Seating because the tables are already "taken". Someone has been assigned at each table for each of the two Traditional Dining times. Right? Does that make sense?

You've been given some alternatives in this thread. There are definitely other options if you do not want to eat in the buffet. :)

no.

just like early, there are assigned tables.

you MIGHT be allowed to head for My Time Dining, but you should arrange this ahead of time with the Maitre d'

there is always room service or booking a specialty if you don't want the buffet.

also PLEASE let the wait staff know if you will miss a night or be late. and if you are late please be kind to everyone else at the table and skip whatever course they have already eaten. that way the wait staff is not double worked.

sure there is. overnight port calls. departure times very late (after 7 pm)

plus if dinner is at 6 and the tour gets back at 530, that may not be enough time for everyone in the family to get ready.

For us sailing the Western route, Jamaica is a late port for us and last year we missed early seating because of the tour we took, getting back at 6 instead of 3:30:eek:

So we could not plan ahead because we never anticipated such un-organized operations before!!!!!!

When we arrived back we ordered room service and it was delivered in about 30 min.

This year we are booking Chops for 8pm.

This way we can relax and not worry about rushing to get back and be ready.

Our Waiter in the MDR was upset because he thought we were upset with his service, because we did not let him know we would not be there.............we couldn't inform him, because we were in port.

We explained and all was well.

Sea Ya

This is not true on RCI. If a passenger chooses My Time Dining (called Anytime Dining on other lines), then gratuities must be pre-paid in advance for the entire cruise. You cannot just show up at the MTD Dining Room and ask to be seated - doesn't work that way.

OP, you also can't just show up at Second Seating because the tables are already "taken". Someone has been assigned at each table for each of the two Traditional Dining times. Right? Does that make sense?

You've been given some alternatives in this thread. There are definitely other options if you do not want to eat in the buffet. :)

Probably not every night, but when we were last on RCI, we did miss 1st sitting one evening, went to MTD room and were seated.... no questions asked. Don't know if depends on the ship, the matre' d?

Edited by marco

and if you are late please be kind to everyone else at the table and skip whatever course they have already eaten. that way the wait staff is not double worked.

That is absolutely absurd. If the dining room is willing to seat you, they are willing to accommodate your order!

Thank you to everyone that gave me positive advice. I will talk to the

Maitre D' when we get on board. I agree with everything about there being empty seats and their willingness to help.

Happy Sailing and if you don't have a cruise planned I hope you will soon plan your next one. It is the best way to travel and meet great people.