Buenos Aires to Los Angeles do we have to disembark at Santiago

andrek

Hello,

We have booked the 31 day BA to LA cruise next Feb 28th. I was wondering if we have to disembark in Santiago and reboard the ship as some people will be getting off in Santiago as it ends their 2 week cruise? Do we get to stay on the ship. We are keeping the same cabin for the entire 31 days.

Thanks,

Andrea

Hello,

We have booked the 31 day BA to LA cruise next Feb 28th. I was wondering if we have to disembark in Santiago and reboard the ship as some people will be getting off in Santiago as it ends their 2 week cruise? Do we get to stay on the ship. We are keeping the same cabin for the entire 31 days.

Thanks,

Andrea

1. Have you called Princess and asked? They should know.

2. Even if you have to disembark, I am sure that you can leave your stuff in the cabin. Weren't you planning on spending some time in the city of Santiago? It is a neat city.

DON

Hello,

Thanks,

Andrea

You will receive instructions the night before Santiago which will tell you exactly what you need to do. Each port customs is a tad different, so really no way to know beforehand. Your steward will bring the instructions. When hubby and I had a similar situation in Sydney, we were issued new cruise cards and "in-transit" cards the night before. We were allowed to disembark to tour the city around 9, using the old cruise cards. We showed the in-transit cards and did not have to go through the long customs lines. When we returned to the ship we entered using our new cruise card. We did not have to do the muster drill.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In 2013, we only had to go to the gangway to close out our old cruise card and activate the new one in Santiago. I presume the rules are still the same. As mentioned above, Princess will give you instructions the last evening for the turnaround.

When we did a b2b to the Eastern and Western Caribbean, we had to disembark in Ft Lauderdale and wait about 30 minutes. Then we were allowed to get back on the ship. Please go into Santiago. It's a great city.

When we did a b2b to the Eastern and Western Caribbean, we had to disembark in Ft Lauderdale and wait about 30 minutes. Then we were allowed to get back on the ship. Please go into Santiago. It's a great city.

That's USA rules. It's different in other countries, it depends on the local immigration and customs regulations.

I'm interested to know the answer as I am on this cruise too - not because I wish to avoid Santiago but so that I can plan what to do - I'm a great planner!

In 2013, we only had to go to the gangway to close out our old cruise card and activate the new one in Santiago. I presume the rules are still the same. As mentioned above, Princess will give you instructions the last evening for the turnaround.

We just returned last week from the same cruise (Buenos Aires to LA) and this is still the procedure. If you are going out on tour or to walk around, you don't have to worry about it--they give you your new cruise card the night before and it will be activated when you return to the ship. If you are staying on board, you go to one of the lounges (forget which one) at a certain time (think it was 10 am) and then you will be taken care of there.

It was a fabulous trip! I am sure you will enjoy it.

We just returned last week from the same cruise (Buenos Aires to LA) and this is still the procedure. If you are going out on tour or to walk around, you don't have to worry about it--they give you your new cruise card the night before and it will be activated when you return to the ship. If you are staying on board, you go to one of the lounges (forget which one) at a certain time (think it was 10 am) and then you will be taken care of there.

It was a fabulous trip! I am sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks, then it is similar to the US cruises with the meet in the lounge. ;)

Still in transit passengers.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No, as said just activate your new card. If you are able I would suggest a tour in Valparaiso. This coast is some of the most beautiful we have seen. We took a tour of Valparaiso, had a drink at the top of the bluffs, then went on to Vina del Mar for some lunch.

We just got home on Saturday night from doing Valapriso to LA on the Crown. We spent a pre-cruise night in Valpariso in a delightful boutique hotel up on a hill (a renovated old home made into a hotel with just 8 guest rooms), and it is a charming city.

Most of the colorful city is spread out on the surrounding hills, and the views from up in the hills are lovely. There's lots of what Americans would consider graffiti on walls and buildings, but much of it is very well done and seems more like a local art form.

The cruise pier is quite a distance from the port gate and shuttle buses are provided, should you decide to go into town.

In Spring 2013 one leg of our cruise terminated in Valparaiso. We left the ship early that AM for a tour into Santiago and also changed cabins that day. I know we received a new cruise card but can't recall exactly when. Do know that everything was as smooth as could be, no problems whatsoever.

Santiago is a beautiful city with lots to see but if you don't want to go that far, I'd grab a cab and go to lunch in Vina del Mar. It's a gorgeous seaside resort town. If you're going to be going all that way, it would be a shame to miss seeing these sights.

Edited by Pam in CA

Hello,

Thanks,

Andrea

We just did this itinerary & it's not required to get off the ship in Valparaiso. If not getting off you would have to go to a location on the ship at 10:00 to activate the next cruise's card & get a new photo.

Edited by Astro Flyer

FYI in the Valparaiso terminal, they have a number of booths set up with wine tastings. They X-ray your stuff in the terminal before you get back on the ship, so there is no inspection when you get back on the ship.

We brought back 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin on board with no problem.

P.S. In a week or so, I will be posting the 30 page story of our trip on our website.

Edited by Talisker92

FYI in the Valparaiso terminal, they have a number of booths set up with wine tastings. They X-ray your stuff in the terminal before you get back on the ship, so there is no inspection when you get back on the ship.

We brought back 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of gin on board with no problem.

P.S. In a week or so, I will be posting the 30 page story of our trip on our website.

Glad you got to go this year! We all felt bad that you had to cancel at the last minute after all of the work you did last year.

Agree with everyone who has mentioned touring Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. The sights and seafood are wonderful. But I would also suggest that if you like wine, take a tour to a vineyard or two and bring some back to the ship.

Julie

We just did this itinerary & it's not required to get off the ship in Valparaiso. If not getting off you would have to go to a location on the ship at 10:00 to activate the next cruise's card & get a new photo.
Welcome home! Hope you had a great cruise!

Welcome home! Hope you had a great cruise. Drop us a line and tell us all about it when you are all settled.