Be wary of onboard credit from Oceania

Midnight_Buffet

We cruised Oceania recently and took advantage of some promotions and get a bunch of shipboard credit. We really enjoy the art shows and my wife fell in love with a piece so we decided to use our credit for that. However, once we arrived home, we hadn't gotten the artwork in the 4-6 weeks we were expecting. I heard from another passenger that they got a call from Oceania saying they were cancelling all artwork purchases made on the cruise and they would issue refunds (we never got a call). I wanted another 4-6 weeks and never got any sort of refund nor was I ever contacted by Oceania.

Finally I contact Oceania to find out what was going on and I was told that shipboard credit is non-refundable so I wouldn't receive a refund for the order that they decided to cancel. I had to escalate this and finally someone realized how wrong this was and agreed to refund the money as a "goodwill" gesture.

The fact I had to go through this with them was ridiculous and I never got an explanation as to why they cancelled all the art sales. I'd rather have the artwork than the money as it was perfect for remembering our otherwise fantastic cruise.

We cruised Oceania recently and took advantage of some promotions and get a bunch of shipboard credit. We really enjoy the art shows and my wife fell in love with a piece so we decided to use our credit for that.

After 28 days on Marina earlier this year, and no hint of the Art "Auctions", I assumed that O finally got some sense and killed them. But, based upon the OP's post, they may have come back only to be abruptly killed again. Anybody know the straight scoop?

Don't see that O should be required to explain the reasons for canceling the art sales. Just a management decision.

Also, some OBCs are non-refundable. Looks like O stepped up to the plate with the refund as this appears to be an unusual situation.

Overall, don't see any major issues here.

Don't see that O should be required to explain the reasons for canceling the art sales. Just a management decision.

Also, some OBCs are non-refundable. Looks like O stepped up to the plate with the refund as this appears to be an unusual situation.

Overall, don't see any major issues here.

Hmm well I disagree. To begin with they shouldn't have an art auction if they don't intend to follow through with the sale. I've been to many many auctions and never have they basically said "Nevermind" when it was all over. What kind of business is that? Secondly I had to escalate to get the money - originally they told me "no". They should have said Yes right away since it was them who cancelled my order.

To answer the art auction question they had it throughout our 18 day cruise. About 10 of those days were at sea so I guess they figured this would help add some stuff to do during those sea days. I was told that after the ship docked the art folks left.

Edited by Midnight_Buffet

Sorry you had to contact O multiple times however

you got your refund. Some of the OBC was probably not even refundable.

Looks like a good result. Why complain on CC?

None of it was refundable. The deal is that you get non-refundable credit and it has to be used during your cruise. We did that. When we got back THEY cancelled the artwork and now I have a positive balance of non-refundable credit -which they don't refund. I didn't cancel the artwork so why am I out my artwork and/or the credit? Had I known they could just decide to cancel my order I would have used my credit on something else.

Like I said before they did make good but the fact that I had to escalate it is what I'm posting about. Refunding it should have been a good business no brainer. Plus I got no explanation and wasn't even contacted about it all until I finally called months later to find out where my artwork was.

Anyhow it's done. Take it for what it is. My first Oceania cruise and other than this it was a good experience. But next time.. I use my shipboard credit on stuff I can carry off.

Edited by Midnight_Buffet

In my opinion, the OP was entirely proper to post his experience. The real issue is that he had to escalate his issue. It should have been a no brainier for O! Actually, under the circumstances, O should have taken the initiative without the client having to get involved.

The whole morass of non- refundable and refundable credits is a mess. O needs to clearly spell out the "ground rules" and when the usurious 5% fee applies, and when it doesn't. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, the OP was entirely proper to post his experience. The real issue is that he had to escalate his issue. It should have been a no brainier for O! Actually, under the circumstances, O should have taken the initiative without the client having to get involved.

The whole morass of non- refundable and refundable credits is a mess. O needs to clearly spell out the "ground rules" and when the usurious 5% fee applies, and when it doesn't. Just my opinion.

I agree 100%. If Oceania wanted to end the art auctions that is their business however they should honor the deals that were made on their ship under their umbrella. In no way should the customer who is acting in good fath have to loose anything or beg to get the problem resolved. Oceania provides a nice product but they are quirky at times, they are a good example of reading the fine print. Glad it worked out and I have to commend the OP for their positive attitude.

The only question is though is 1. Did Oceania eliminate the art auctions or did the company running the art auctions eliminate them?

There may have been an agreement between the two companies not to disclose what actually happened.

Yes, I can see the complaint, but at the same time.........

The only question is though is 1. Did Oceania eliminate the art auctions or did the company running the art auctions eliminate them?

Was wondering the same thing :confused:

Maybe the art people did not deliver their product in the past so was cancelled by the cruise line

...Like I said before they did make good but the fact that I had to escalate it is what I'm posting about...

In my opinion, it was handled exactly as I would expect it, and exactly as it should. The policy established by Oceania is that non-refundable means non-refundable. No one at a lower level has the authority to change that policy, regardless of the circumstances. While it may have been a "no-brainer" for us, and while the Oceania Rep may have agreed it was a no-brainer, the fact remains they did not have the authority without escalating it. that's as it should be.

It was escalated, and someone at a higher level with the proper authority made a good decision and extended the refund. You're happy you got the money, hopefully you will use it on another Oceania cruise. By your own words you also learned a valuable lesson. This should have been a positive post, not a vaguely negative one.

In my opinion, it was handled exactly as I would expect it, and exactly as it should.

I'm really disappointed to read this response, because the OP has made it clear that he knew the OBC was non refundable, so he spent it on something that would be a wonderful memento of a cruise that he and his wife enjoyed.

Oceania took his money and didn't deliver the goods. Not only that, they didn't even tell the OP that they wouldn't be delivering the goods until he contacted them. That's very bad manners IMHO, and no way to run a business. Oceania, it seems, was the retailer, so it was up to them to deliver the goods or make a repayment. The money was spent, so it was no longer OBC. The least O could have done was send an apology and offer OBC on a future cruise. I'm pleased that the OP got his money back but O should have dealt with this better and sooner.

Every mistake is a chance to learn, so I'm glad the OP posted this and I hope O takes note.

Definitely a valid post and I sympathise with the OP. However you just have to read posts on the Net about these auctions and you would NEVER buy from them again.

We find use the OBC for many other things.

Brian

.... Oceania, it seems, was the retailer, so it was up to them to deliver the goods or make a repayment....

I agree with some of the points OP has made. It is hard to see that Oceania could not have anticipated the sort of problem which arose for OP and have already formulated a fair response, so that OP would not be threatened with loss of his credit. However, ....

(1) Oceania was most certainly not the retailer. Payment expediter, perhaps. I like the way hypercafe said it: under their umbrella.

(2) Why would any of us assume to know how much responsibility Oceania had in cancelling the sale? Just one of a zillion possibilities: suppose Oceania had confirmed that some of the paintings had a strong possibility of being forgeries. Would you have had them quietly say nothing? Or make their well founded suspicions into a written explanation, as OP would have had it, guaranteeing protracted libel litigation?

(3) To have an art auction if they do not intend to follow through is, on its face, a rather absurd statement. Perhaps they did intend. Perhaps there was nothing they could do about immediately cancelling their contractual arrangements with the dealer. Perhaps they needed to hear back from their legal department. Perhaps they needed to cajole the art company into choosing to end the contract. Perhaps ..............

Those who are criticizing the OP are missing the point. It doesn't matter who cancelled the art auction (O or a third party). What matters is tha O did not proactively notify OP that something he had purchased in good faith using OBC would not be delivered.

It shouldn't take multiple calls to get resolution. Anyone who works in a customer facing business should understand that.

There is nothing wrong with being an O fan, or looking for positives in situations unless you become so much a fan that simple facts are ignored.

In my opinion, it was handled exactly as I would expect it, and exactly as it should.

Strongly disagree. Oceania should have handled this proactively, not following complaints. While this particular cruise credit was "not refundable," the funds could have been spent for other uses on the cruise had the art purchase option not been available. The art purchase option became "not available" after the cruise had ended, and at that point it was obviously too late to use the funds for other onboard options.The choice to use funds for art was a good faith transaction at the time. To have it revoked after the cruise and to deny a refund because the credits were originally non refundable was outrageous.

I never demanded a reason from Oceania as to why they cancelled my purchase. I figured it was a business decision and could have been for a variety of reasons. I never even bothered to ask them.

What bothered me about it all is that they never contacted me to let me know my sale was cancelled and instead waited for me to call them after I didn't get my artwork in the time I was promised. Then, when I did call, I was told it was cancelled and I wouldn't receive a refund. That's just bad business.

What should have happened, as others have mentioned, is I should have received a call (heck even an email would have worked) to let me know that the purchase was going to be cancelled and that I would receive a refund and they are very sorry this happened. You know.. like what you'd expect from a company that cares about customers. Instead I feel like they sort of tried to get away with hoping I'd forget about it or I'd give up when they told me "no" to get the refund. If not for my persistence that's what would have happened. I'm also concerned about how many other people this happened to or will happen to again which is why I posted this.

I've cruised a couple dozen times and this was my first on Oceania and I am a fan. This was a fantastic cruise. However I felt others should know about the risks using the credit on something you are not walking off the ship with.

I also disagreee with the "cheerleaders"

If you purchase something onboard from one of the contractors & for some reason it needs to be sent to your home ...no matter how it was paid for refundable or non refundable OBC it should be honoured

If someone, contractor or Oceania cancelled the sale the purchaser should have been notified

Since the OBC WAS used on the ship in good faith then YES it should be refunded without question

It would have been refunded to the person's ship board account had they still been on the ship so why not after they left the ship

If Oceania is going to play that game then the contractors should just take credit cards or cash for purchases

Not added to your "world card"

In my opinion, it was handled exactly as I would expect it, and exactly as it should. The policy established by Oceania is that non-refundable means non-refundable. No one at a lower level has the authority to change that policy, regardless of the circumstances. While it may have been a "no-brainer" for us, and while the Oceania Rep may have agreed it was a no-brainer, the fact remains they did not have the authority without escalating it. that's as it should be.

It was escalated, and someone at a higher level with the proper authority made a good decision and extended the refund. You're happy you got the money, hopefully you will use it on another Oceania cruise. By your own words you also learned a valuable lesson. This should have been a positive post, not a vaguely negative one.

I disagree, Once "O" stop the order they should have refunded the money period. The cruiser had no choice in the better-it was to late for them to do anything. On "O"s part, just poor customer service.

Rick

This thread is a good example of why I find the Oceania board helpful and constructive. Posters are willing to call out the cruise line with constructive criticism as well as praise when warranted to go along with the sharing of helpful advice. I find this in sharp contrast to, for example, the Crystal board, where "cheerleaders" too often paint the facade of a virtually perfect cruise line.

I agree with all the critics of O on this one. They obviously dropped the ball and screwed up badly. Glad it got resolved, but they should have handled it much better. And I, for one, would have liked to know why I wasn't getting my art--whether you agree with these auctions or not (I hate them), if I bought a piece of art that I loved, I would expect to receive it, and expect to receive an explanation of why I did not.

Hey MB,

I can understand your being peeved.

However, you weren't out any money as you used OBC.

OTOH, you could have bought something else with the OBC.

Paying you for the OBC is a good gesture.

Ira