Sideways Interior Stateroom

trbarton

I noticed on another thread that some cruise lines have some Sideways Interior Staterooms. I checked on the Star to see what I could find and found stateroom C106. The photos that I saw on the thread shows the beds right after you enter the room to the left. The thread indicated that the sideways interior stateroom was larger than a normal inside stateroom. Anybody had a sideway interior stateroom and if so what was your experience compared to a regular stateroom? Any photos? What ship were your on and what was the stateroom number?

Thanks!

Tom:)

We had one of those sideways rooms on the Sea Princess on a 33 day cruise. They are quite roomy if you have the beds as a twin. We did not mind the setup at all. They are much smaller than most of the sideways cabins on HAL, they have a sofa as well. We only use the cabin for sleeping, bathing and dressing, so it does not bother us. Enjoy!

I agree with the posters that recommend the sideways interior cabins on the Crown Class and Caribbean Class vessels, as I have seen them on numerous cabin crawls. I can tell you from personal experience on the Royal in L208 that this is not the same extra large cabin enjoyed on the Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean Princess.

This Royal sideways cabin has several obstacles to overcome including very limited traffic spaces between the closets and bathrooms. If you want to get into the safe, clear the area because no one is coming through!

Secondly, the top desk drawer the hairdryer is in makes it nearly impossible to open the cabin door if someone is blow drying their hair. I nearly took the drawer off its rollers opening the cabin drawer while my wife as drying her hair.

Third, the television is affixed to the wall and does not swivel which is not a real big deal, however it aligns for optimal viewing for only the first person in the bed closer to the door.

Lastly, the closet space is diminished a bit and the amount of clothes one may hang is limited.

Also, you get a little bit of early morning and late evening noise from the deck chairs above you at the retreat pool in the front of the ship.

Now these are not huge deals, but if I had it to do over again, personally I would not book a sideways interior cabin on the Royal, but would on the Ruby, Emerald or Caribbean Princess, just my opinion.

Ken

Edited by A1A

I noticed on another thread that some cruise lines have some Sideways Interior Staterooms. I checked on the Star to see what I could find and found stateroom C106. The photos that I saw on the thread shows the beds right after you enter the room to the left. The thread indicated that the sideways interior stateroom was larger than a normal inside stateroom. Anybody had a sideway interior stateroom and if so what was your experience compared to a regular stateroom? Any photos? What ship were your on and what was the stateroom number?

Thanks!

Tom:)

I would check with Princess (or someone who has actually been in this cabin). I seem to remember that this is a one-off cabin and is actually not larger like the mid-ship sideways cabins on Aloha deck (or Riviera on the later ships)...

Are the washrooms the same size as regular inside cabins?

Bathrooms are the same size.

• 4 months later...
We just got off the Ruby and had R515. Have booked A515 on the Star. These cabins have more room and, set up as twins, are super!! Also, the closets have doors.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the sideways rooms.

My daughter and I will be in R515 on the Ruby next May in Alaska, thanks for posting the pictures! How was the noise from the hallway, having the bed on that outside wall?

My daughter and I will be in R515 on the Ruby next May in Alaska, thanks for posting the pictures! How was the noise from the hallway, having the bed on that outside wall?

The bed is not on the outside wall next to the corridor. The desk is on the outside wall, so the bed is on the other side of the cabin on the "interior wall". No noise from there... Enjoy the cabin!

Is there a listing somewhere of which ships have sideways rooms and what rooms they are? I know that not all rooms that "look" sideways on the deck plans are actually sideways rooms. I've been told that the orientation of the room isn't the important thing but the entry to the room is what makes the layout different so that, even though the room is turned sideways, it isn't necessarily a "sideways room".

We just returned from our cruise on the Star and had the sideways cabins - A507 and A515. They are definitely larger and we really liked them. It did take a bit of getting used to as the door opens right into the room. But the extra space for a sitting chair as well as a desk chair and very nice closets and storage was great. We would definitely book them again.

Is there a listing somewhere of which ships have sideways rooms and what rooms they are? I know that not all rooms that "look" sideways on the deck plans are actually sideways rooms. I've been told that the orientation of the room isn't the important thing but the entry to the room is what makes the layout different so that, even though the room is turned sideways, it isn't necessarily a "sideways room".

All the Grand-class ships feature these cabins... either on Aloha for the older ships or on Riviera for the newer ones. I believe that there are 6 cabins per ship and are basically located midship.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one of these on Star and although it was roomier I prefer the other inside cabins. I did not appreciate that I was so close to the door, hence the vents to the hallway. Made me kind of inhibited, if you know what I mean. I felt like I could stretch my arm and touch the door wall, which is too close to the hallway for me.

We just returned from our cruise on the Star and had the sideways cabins - A507 and A515. They are definitely larger and we really liked them. It did take a bit of getting used to as the door opens right into the room. But the extra space for a sitting chair as well as a desk chair and very nice closets and storage was great. We would definitely book them again.
Were the beds located on the far wall? The post below has me confused :confused: Also, did you have notice a lot of noise from the pool area above at any particular time?

We had one of these on Star and although it was roomier I prefer the other inside cabins. I did not appreciate that I was so close to the door, hence the vents to the hallway. Made me kind of inhibited, if you know what I mean. I felt like I could stretch my arm and touch the door wall, which is too close to the hallway for me.
Which cabin were you in? It sounds like your bed (queen) was located along the corridor wall? Edited by LEtue

We feel the same. It was a bit like sleeping in a park to me...just a little too close to the corridor.

We consider the sideways cabins on the Royal/Regal even less desirable. No extra space to speak of, and a weird layout although there is a bit more storage than in the perpendicular inside cabins.